Florida Highway Patrol troopers to ge...

Florida Highway Patrol troopers to get 5 percent raise

There are 40 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from May 1, 2008, titled Florida Highway Patrol troopers to get 5 percent raise. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Florida Highway Patrol troopers will get a 5 percent pay raise in the hopes of stemming the high turnover rate at the state law-enforcement agency.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
my job is war

Chesapeake, VA

#1 May 1, 2008
this is stupid, no one wants a cop job unless it pays at least 40, how you soposed to survive in fl on 30 grand? Wake up
Bud

Winter Park, FL

#2 May 1, 2008
This small pay raise is not enough to hire new troopers and maintain the presant force. More needs to be done and pay should be at least as much as deputy sheriffs get, and while we're at it, Florida should follow the lead of some other states and have two troopers in every patrol vehicle. This pay and personnel situation with the patrol has been going on every since the patrol was created in 1941 and it's long past time this isssue was resolved!!
el jefe

Lake Mary, FL

#3 May 1, 2008
Too little, too late.

Once again the State of Florida puts its human resources into poverty.
Angry

El Paso, TX

#4 May 1, 2008
el jefe wrote:
Too little, too late.
Once again the State of Florida puts its human resources into poverty.
I agree. Wages are too low in Florida especially for our most important personnel-teachers and law enforcement.I'm glad that they are getting a raise but really, 5% is average, not good.
Get It Right

Athens, TN

#5 May 1, 2008
That was a slap in their face. 5% is about 60 cents a day. Shame on the legislature and the governor for not doing anything.
Captain Obvious

North Port, FL

#6 May 1, 2008
That'll hardly stem the departure of troopers. Did you know that nearly one third of the entire organization is administrative personel? They are a wee bit top heavy, and need to focus on manning the road. Soon, you'll be more likely to see a Florida panther than a trooper.
George W

Fort Myers, FL

#7 May 1, 2008
Overpaid already,crooks
Did you know

Clearwater, FL

#8 May 1, 2008
Currently, a 10 year State Trooper makes the same amount of money that a rookie Trooper makes.
This year, in their own personal time, State Troopers got together and actually wrote a bill that would have provided them with a decent salary plan. If it had passed, I can promise that no more Troopers would have left FHP. I can also promise that all 200 vacancies would have been filled in no time.
The pay plan that they came up with would have cost you, the taxpayer, NOTHING. The Trooper's bill wanted to increase the reinstatement fee for suspended drivers licenses. The only people that would have funded the ENTIRE plan were people that got their license suspended for DUI, too many points, or not having insurance, etc. It would have killed to birds with one stone. It would have kept Troopers on the road and it would have served as an additional deterrent to poor driving, which we all know is an epidemic in Florida!
The bill made it through an unprecedented NINE committees with a unanimous vote in each committee. Somehow, the bill managed to die in the last House committee (it was never heard by the last committee). The House included this pay plan in their version of the budget, but the Senate killed it during negotiations. After killing the bill that would have saved the taxpayer money they approved a %5 taxpayer funded raise.
The Troopers tried to come up with a plan that helped everyone, but it got shot down. Many people will say "If they don't like the pay, they should leave". Well, that's the problem.....they ARE leaving....... by the dozens.
Disturbed in Daytona

United States

#9 May 1, 2008
That just makes sense. We are in a recession, let's give a 5% raise to people paid with the tax dollars of people experiencing that recession. The joy of unions.
ThunderStud

Lakeland, FL

#10 May 1, 2008
George W wrote:
Overpaid already,crooks
I guess you're today's Village Idiot. There always has to be at least one fool who has no idea what he's talking about and today IT'S YOU!
RoadRanger

Lakeland, FL

#11 May 1, 2008
The pay raise should have been 20% at least. Crist has no problem hiring the wife of one of his cronies for a job she is not qualified to do and pay her $100,000 per year. Fortunately the people of Florida raised hell and to her credit, the woman resigned. I guess Crist thinks we're all idiots. I work with FHP Troopers everyday. They are good people and deserve to be compensated appropriately and fairly.
mosco

Winter Garden, FL

#12 May 1, 2008
There are reasons people are weary of pay increases. One is that we the taxpayers are seen as criminals from the start. Another is that one day I see these people and others as my judge, jury and executioner. That exists to a certain level now. Let people live their lives. Do not interfere unless you absolutely have to. But we can not do that. Our nature is to tell others what to do. And punish them for it.So many lives have been destroyed because of useless dumb ass laws and overzelous cops. Now we have the perfect Soviet Union style storm. People just do not care anymore. Keep messing with the people in the real workforce and the actual minimum will be done to keep the state happy. By the end of the baby boomers lifespan, East Asia will be the supreme power on this planet. But the uniforms on the cops look good. Yo!
Taxpayer

Sebring, FL

#13 May 1, 2008
Once again the state tries to do things on the cheap. As a taxpayer I have no problem paying FHP troopers a decent salary. The current structure basically gets them trained and experienced to be hired away by local agencies that pay more.

I'd say cut state legislatures pay to give troopers more!!! Of course no one wants to pay more taxes so the extra pay has to come from somewhere.
mark

Gainesville, FL

#14 May 1, 2008
If you paid me 30 grand a year to sit and a car and harrass people all day, I'd take it in a second. They don't need a real education, they don't do hard labor, they make more than they should.

Who has ever seen one of them actually help or protect anyone? All I've ever seen them do is pull over anyone but the people that are actually dangerous to other people, and find accidents that have already happened and document them.

If anything they need to get rid of all of them and start a new traffic policing program that actually helps the taxpayers who provide them with their salary.
Patrick Henry

Orlando, FL

#15 May 1, 2008
Get It Right wrote:
That was a slap in their face. 5% is about 60 cents a day. Shame on the legislature and the governor for not doing anything.
I think your math is wrong. A 60 cents per day increase would mean they were making about $12 per day. A $33k base salary is at least $12 per hour. Plus they get a company car and free gasoline. That's by far a better deal than most wage slaves in the private sector are going to see this year.
Get It Right

Athens, TN

#16 May 1, 2008
Well, Patrick, my math wasn't wrong, my statement was, they will be making .55 cents an hour, that would be taxed by the state around 33%, so the pay raise was???
Patrick Henry wrote:
<quoted text>I think your math is wrong. A 60 cents per day increase would mean they were making about $12 per day. A $33k base salary is at least $12 per hour. Plus they get a company car and free gasoline. That's by far a better deal than most wage slaves in the private sector are going to see this year.
Get It Right

Athens, TN

#17 May 1, 2008
Actually "Did You Know" is right. Do you want to know who was the person that decided the no cost to the state to a 5%?
Her name is Senator Carlton. She decided that was better to give FHP a 5% during a recession than pass a bill that would generate millions of dollars by the the offenders.
Disturbed in Daytona wrote:
That just makes sense. We are in a recession, let's give a 5% raise to people paid with the tax dollars of people experiencing that recession. The joy of unions.
No name

Richardson, TX

#18 May 1, 2008
That ain't diddly...they will possibly be put in a higher tax bracket and the after taxes are taken out they MAY bring home a few bucks more. Just pathetic though that they get paid so little to possibly give their lives for ours!
While all those FAT CATS sit behind their desks and make millions!!
We all should be ashamed!!

Just how I feel.
mark

Gainesville, FL

#19 May 1, 2008
Name ONE Florida highway patroler who has sacrificed their life for ours. Accidents don't count.

Those "fat cats" are earning their money, while these FAT COPS aren't earning, they are being given things they haven't proven to us that they deserve.
Trooper

Ooltewah, TN

#20 May 1, 2008
Dont be fooled citizens of Florida. As you all know 5% of nothing is nothing. That 5% percent wont even put a tank of gas in my car. What you dont know is that FHP tried to get legislation passed to fix out pay issue with out touching the general revenue so it can be used on other issues. Like for instance giving teachers a 5% raise. But like always it got shot down!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min Grey Ghost 1,579,392
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 5 hr Murphey_Law 513,416
Song Title Game (Apr '15) 9 hr Princess Hey 704
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 9 hr Princess Hey 19,689
Word Association 2 (Jul '10) 9 hr Princess Hey 23,118
two words (Jul '10) 9 hr Princess Hey 28,193
Double Fun Word Game (Mar '11) 9 hr Princess Hey 13,398

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages