Full Sail to become a university

Full Sail to become a university

There are 524 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Mar 24, 2008, titled Full Sail to become a university. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

At a news conference with Lt. Gov. Jeff Kottkamp this morning, officials at Winter Park digital media school Full Sail Real World Education will announce that the school is changing its name to "Full Sail ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Lamar

United States

#21 Mar 24, 2008
Urban Vigilante wrote:
LOL..comparing UF to Duke, good try
I think they were using UF and Duke as opposite ends of the spectrum, not as a comparison.
shine

United States

#22 Mar 24, 2008
change agent wrote:
Full Sail, congratulations. you have now joined the ranks of such prestigious institutions of higher learning as Phoenix University, Webster University and Devry University.
Hilarious.
Hoops Fan

United States

#23 Mar 24, 2008
change agent wrote:
Full Sail, congratulations. you have now joined the ranks of such prestigious institutions of higher learning as Phoenix University, Webster University and Devry University.
With the amount of online courses and exams at UCF, FSU, and other lower-tier state schools, these schools are on-track to join the ranks of Phoenix University, Webster University and Devry University.
All Net

Orlando, FL

#25 Mar 24, 2008
Hoops Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
With the amount of online courses and exams at UCF, FSU, and other lower-tier state schools, these schools are on-track to join the ranks of Phoenix University, Webster University and Devry University.
But UCF and FSU ARE real
Universities.

"University" of Central Florida.

Florida State "University".

Not a good comeback hoops.
Sanity is Lonely

United States

#26 Mar 24, 2008
Fraudster wrote:
This "school" is a fraud, always has been always will be.
They charge 4 times what it would cost to get a regular marketable bachelors degree in anything at a public Florida College of your choice. The majority of graduates do not find success, rather a bill collector at their door. Hell last person I met said Beneficial was their student loan company! These guys are proving with enough smoke and mirrors you can sell anything to anyone.
You and the others calling Full Sail a "fraud" and such are most likely jealous because you weren't able to get into the school. Every person I know who has attended Full Sail is incredibly gifted and is now working in the field in which they were trained and making a great income.
Mike

Gainesville, FL

#27 Mar 24, 2008
Lamar wrote:
<quoted text>
I think they were using UF and Duke as opposite ends of the spectrum, not as a comparison.
UF is a good school, perhaps the best in the state (though New College and Rollins are up there too)... Duke of course is a great school: I would not say UF is at the opposite end of the spectrum nor exactly on par with Duke. My point, which apparently some jokers missed, was that with a degree in something like Latin or history you may have trouble finding a job regardless of your school. In fields like history, without a graduate degree in it, your options are pretty limited to teaching high school or working at some foundation. Even in my own field of architecture I can make more working in IT than starting out in what I studied. It's just the state of the market.
WhereThrsSmokeTh rsFire

Orlando, FL

#28 Mar 24, 2008
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
kids with degrees from UF in fields like business or engineering do not remain unemployed unless they have some odd personal flaw.
Going to UF IS the odd personal flaw.
Jr Developer

Orlando, FL

#29 Mar 24, 2008
speak for yourself wrote:
I graduated in '05, every person i know from my class makes at least $58k. I'm a sr developer now making $80k.
I have known many, many Full Sail students. The majority of them end up working as sound techs for local A/V companies. Loading gear, mixing sound for conventions, etc. I have also known a few that became actual engineers, but still work in this type of environment. Most make mediocre salaries ($58K is not it)...a few make really good money (perhaps as much as $80K), BUT they must work many, many overtime hours on shows to make it.

If you graduated in '05 and already make $80k a year in a field where you're still considered "entry level" you're either incredible or just a liar. Good Luck, I'll see you at the OCCC.
Lamar

United States

#30 Mar 24, 2008
Sanity is Lonely wrote:
You and the others calling Full Sail a "fraud" and such are most likely jealous because you weren't able to get into the school. Every person I know who has attended Full Sail is incredibly gifted and is now working in the field in which they were trained and making a great income.
Let's not get carried away. Full Sail is excellent at what it does, but every graduating class has a bottom half.
Mike

Gainesville, FL

#31 Mar 24, 2008
Hoops Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
In some areas, there is nothing wrong with online education, but not all online classes are created equal either. The real question is the caliber of the faculty, the library resources of the college, research programs, AND most of all the caliber of your fellow students. Schools that admit nearly anyone who can pay will wind up with a lot of kids who are lackluster and bring down the quality of learning on campus.

One reason Full Sail may desire the title of "university" is because a "university" is considered far more advanced than a college overseas, especially in Asia. This is why the Academy of Art College in San Francisco supposedly started calling itself a university: to attract more Asian students. International students have pay up front for their tuition and don't get loans or government aid in most cases so the college in question gets full tuition at the start of each term, hence more money up front. I can't speak for the official reasoning, but talking with a good friend who is an economist this topic came up and it sure makes sense to me.
Cycles

Ocala, FL

#32 Mar 24, 2008
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
If you get a degree in something like, say, Latin from UF or even Duke yeah you may have trouble finding a job unless you want to teach: kids with degrees from UF in fields like business or engineering do not remain unemployed unless they have some odd personal flaw.
What's more, when did education become just about a job and money? That's not what the university model is based on anyways, it's based on the idea of educating the person. If you think it's all about cash then yeah, call Full Sail a university and any hair stylist school that places its grads in good-paying jobs one too.
If you get a degree in business or engineering from ANY school and are still unemployed then there might be something wrong with the way you present yourself. I know quite a few people who attended the illustrious UF who are currently unemployed, so I don't think that the UF name has the weight within the working world that many seem to think it does.

Most students entering college now don't go to learn. They go to learn enough to be able to get a degree to be able to present to potential employers. When I graduated from UCF in 2004 most of my classmates couldn't care less about what they were learning - they were however interested in making money.

Full Sail is set up like a technical school, bottom line. The addition of the word 'University' is more or less a way to get more people into the school (see, it's a business...) because it has gotten some flack in the past for not being a 'real' school. But really, this school would give you all the tools you need to get into production/3D/etc...but it doesn't give you the talent. You have to bring that yourself.
change agent

Columbia, SC

#33 Mar 24, 2008
Hoops Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah but the acceptance criteria for UCF and UF goes deeper than the ability to submit a valid check.
Orlandonole

Lakeland, FL

#34 Mar 24, 2008
most of the full sail grads i know dont make that much money. thats only because they go there for the associates degree (2 yr) not the full bachelors. that is the case with many schools, colleges or universities. you have to have the 4 yr degree to make money
Cycles

Ocala, FL

#35 Mar 24, 2008
Sanity is Lonely wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone can get into that school. Literally - just bring the money and you can come. So, poo on that statement.

I'm inclined to disagree with you here. Like I said (see above)- you learn the tools of the trade at this school and you learn them fast. This school won't make you talented, having the drive to learn the tools of your trade will make you talented. I've seen many, many, many students just mope through their program and then complain when they don't find themselves employed. Those who try hard succeed, those who don't will not.
Sanity is Lonely

United States

#36 Mar 24, 2008
Lamar wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's not get carried away. Full Sail is excellent at what it does, but every graduating class has a bottom half.
True, but I was only referring to those I know personally, if you actually read what I said.
Sanity is Lonely

United States

#37 Mar 24, 2008
Cycles wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone can get into that school. Literally - just bring the money and you can come. So, poo on that statement.
I'm inclined to disagree with you here. Like I said (see above)- you learn the tools of the trade at this school and you learn them fast. This school won't make you talented, having the drive to learn the tools of your trade will make you talented. I've seen many, many, many students just mope through their program and then complain when they don't find themselves employed. Those who try hard succeed, those who don't will not.
I agree completely. Without the drive and the desire to become the best at what you do, it doesn't really matter where you're educated. As I said in my first post, I'm really only speaking of those I know personally and each of them are truly gifted. Full Sail most likely had very little to do with their successes, but to say it's a joke isn't fair either.

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#38 Mar 24, 2008
Most of the graduates that I know who stuck around Orlando don't make much money. The reason is that Orlando SUCKS when it comes to tv/film/music/animation and everything else that you need to go to Cali for. I should know, I'm in that business. If I moved to LA, I'd make more money...

money doesn't define success though!!!
voncracker

Cocoa, FL

#39 Mar 24, 2008
I am inclined to agree with most of the dissenters here. The job placement for Full Sail students is rather pathetic. Most do not find a well-paying job unless they had that promise going in or had a job already lined up. Having connections is the only way to succeed.
The "accreditation" is also a misnomer because little, if any, of the course work can transfer to a traditional university or community college. I am sure that much of the technical knowledge learned is very valuable, but at a drastically reduced cost one can get a comparable technical education at Valencia CC in some of the same areas Full Sail covers.
At such a cost it is not worth the risk. I have an auto mechanic who is still paying off the loans he took out to attend Full Sail. Most of the job opportunities that were available were internships that paid nothing and once completed the companies hired more interns!
change agent

Columbia, SC

#40 Mar 24, 2008
Jr Developer wrote:
<quoted text>
I have known many, many Full Sail students. The majority of them end up working as sound techs for local A/V companies. Loading gear, mixing sound for conventions, etc. I have also known a few that became actual engineers, but still work in this type of environment. Most make mediocre salaries ($58K is not it)...a few make really good money (perhaps as much as $80K), BUT they must work many, many overtime hours on shows to make it.
If you graduated in '05 and already make $80k a year in a field where you're still considered "entry level" you're either incredible or just a liar. Good Luck, I'll see you at the OCCC.
they end up as techs at disney... which amounts to turning on and off background music during awards dinners and other convention activities at places like the grand floridian and the contemporary
Lamar

United States

#41 Mar 24, 2008
Sanity is Lonely wrote:
<quoted text>
True, but I was only referring to those I know personally, if you actually read what I said.
I wasn't contradicting your words. I was merely tempering your characterization.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min mdbuilder 1,579,514
New Game ***Last Word + 2 (Oct '11) 11 min Princess Hey 13,059
3 word game (Jan '11) 12 min Princess Hey 14,335
Double Fun Word Game (Mar '11) 13 min Princess Hey 13,400
two words (Jul '10) 14 min Princess Hey 28,195
One Word (Jul '10) 15 min Princess Hey 2,579
Word Association 2 (Jul '10) 16 min Princess Hey 23,120

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance