Full Sail to become a university

At a news conference with Lt. Gov. Jeff Kottkamp this morning, officials at Winter Park digital media school Full Sail Real World Education will announce that the school is changing its name to "Full Sail ... Full Story
First Prev
of 27
Next Last
Crap

United States

#1 Mar 24, 2008
Most people that graduate from Full Sail end up working at Guitar Center or some other $8 an hour job!!!!! Sure sound like it's worth the $100,000 tuition!
Tyresiah Rheyes Cornellia

Orlando, FL

#2 Mar 24, 2008
Semantics. And a bit of apples and oranges -- they are not accredited by the same folks that recognize big name academic universities.
Tyresiah Rheyes Cornellia

Orlando, FL

#3 Mar 24, 2008
PS small point fyi full sail is actually geographically in orange county not within the city of wp.
speak for yourself

United States

#4 Mar 24, 2008
I graduated in '05, every person i know from my class makes at least $58k. I'm a sr developer now making $80k.
Mandamur

Ocklawaha, FL

#5 Mar 24, 2008
Extremely amusing. Now the soon-to-be-Disney slaves can say the graduated from an actual University.

"speak for yourself" is a plant.
Cut the Crap

Kissimmee, FL

#6 Mar 24, 2008
I'm tired of the negativists. I know UF graduates who are unemployed on their chosen field and work at Circuit City to make ends meet.
Mandamur

Ocklawaha, FL

#7 Mar 24, 2008
Cut the Crap wrote:
I'm tired of the negativists. I know UF graduates who are unemployed on their chosen field and work at Circuit City to make ends meet.
This town if full of UF graduates that overhype that school to death. Is more like a orange and blue cult.
Mike

Gainesville, FL

#8 Mar 24, 2008
I have friends who went to Full Sail and seem happy with the education they gained there and have jobs based on that education where they're making good money and doing something they love ... however, I think it's silly to call it a "university" when it has non-standard accrediting and some other very odd policies. Is there anything wrong with calling a spade a spade and Full Sail being a top-notch technical school? Does everything have to be a university or even a college?

This isn't just a Full Sail thing: the Academy of Art College in San Francisco is much the same and there's other examples too. As I understand it, the problem with getting accredited by the right people is often due to not having the majority of the faculty at these schools hold a masters or beyond to teach their subjects. But if you can run a great tech school, teach people what they need for a career, more power to you. I do think a "university" should be built on the liberal arts education that formulates the tradition of university education in the western world though.
Mike

Gainesville, FL

#9 Mar 24, 2008
Cut the Crap wrote:
If you get a degree in something like, say, Latin from UF or even Duke yeah you may have trouble finding a job unless you want to teach: kids with degrees from UF in fields like business or engineering do not remain unemployed unless they have some odd personal flaw.

What's more, when did education become just about a job and money? That's not what the university model is based on anyways, it's based on the idea of educating the person. If you think it's all about cash then yeah, call Full Sail a university and any hair stylist school that places its grads in good-paying jobs one too.
Urban Vigilante

Tampa, FL

#10 Mar 24, 2008
Ok..so they'll now need a mascot. What about the "Fighting Filmakers" !
Cut is Crap

United States

#11 Mar 24, 2008
I don't know anyone from UF who is unemployed "On" their field. Maybe "In" their field. I thought even Full Sail's elementary grammar class would cover that. Full Sail is a joke!
YOU CAN FOOL THE PEOPLE

Clermont, FL

#12 Mar 24, 2008
A ROSE BY ANY NAME
Lamar

Mims, FL

#13 Mar 24, 2008
Full Sail is just like any other school, they have achievers who make the most out of their education, and losers who work at guitar center and smoke too much doob. Full Sail has an excellent reputation in the fields it teaches.

That said, it isn't a university. It's a tech school. How many English majors are there? How many chemistry majors? Foreign language? Education?

Full Sail is probably the best at what it does. But it isn't a university.
speak for yourself

United States

#14 Mar 24, 2008
Mandamur wrote:
Extremely amusing. Now the soon-to-be-Disney slaves can say the graduated from an actual University.
"speak for yourself" is a plant.
I'm not a plant, I could care less if people go to FS or not. I'm just sick of all the whiny brats who except a job to fall in their lap, I've heard countless people say the same things you say. Any college has success and failure, why else do people call UCF "you cant finish". If everyone had the attitude that you have then no one would go to college.
Hoops Fan

United States

#15 Mar 24, 2008
I'm not into music or design education, so I would never pick FSU, either Florida State or Full Sail, for my school of choice. Regardless, traditional 4 year schools and jobs in offices are not for everyone. Full Sail fills that niche.

Read an interesting article about how many Full Sail alumni have been involved the design and production of a lot of best-selling albums and video games. The school must be doing something right for their alumni to be involved with those successful projects.
Fraudster

Orlando, FL

#16 Mar 24, 2008
This "school" is a fraud, always has been always will be.

They charge 4 times what it would cost to get a regular marketable bachelors degree in anything at a public Florida College of your choice. The majority of graduates do not find success, rather a bill collector at their door. Hell last person I met said Beneficial was their student loan company! These guys are proving with enough smoke and mirrors you can sell anything to anyone.
Lamar

Mims, FL

#17 Mar 24, 2008
Fraudster wrote:
This "school" is a fraud, always has been always will be.
They charge 4 times what it would cost to get a regular marketable bachelors degree in anything at a public Florida College of your choice.
By this standard, Rollins College is a fraud, as is any private school. Full Sail doesn't do anything that other schools do. They give you the tools to succeed, but you have to go out and get that success yourself.

Sitting on your bum doesn't entitle you to call Full Sail a fraud. Heck, by your standards, Duke University is a fraud, as is Harvard and Yale....
Lipstick on the pig

Fairfield, CT

#18 Mar 24, 2008
People who do hiring for a living can see through the tiles schools give themselves. Full Sail is still Full Sail, regardless of the moniker on the end - College, University, whatever, it's still high school with ashtrays.

If they become short-titled as FSU, does that mean they'll field a football that sux as well?
change agent

Lexington, SC

#19 Mar 24, 2008
Full Sail, congratulations. you have now joined the ranks of such prestigious institutions of higher learning as Phoenix University, Webster University and Devry University.
Urban Vigilante

Tampa, FL

#20 Mar 24, 2008
LOL..comparing UF to Duke, good try
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
If you get a degree in something like, say, Latin from UF or even Duke yeah you may have trouble finding a job unless you want to teach: kids with degrees from UF in fields like business or engineering do not remain unemployed unless they have some odd personal flaw.
What's more, when did education become just about a job and money? That's not what the university model is based on anyways, it's based on the idea of educating the person. If you think it's all about cash then yeah, call Full Sail a university and any hair stylist school that places its grads in good-paying jobs one too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 27
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 16 min WAS sanka 490,224
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 34 min Nostrilis Waxman 1,154,194
Online Roleplay 1 hr Kaitlyn 3
Internet, zoning make adult bookstores endanger... 1 hr taroB 1
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr OzRitz 49,228
Jodi Arias: Does the state have the goods to co... (Mar '13) 1 hr AN is me 26,192
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 5 hr The Real Missy 17,707
Orlando Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:33 pm PST