City may cap pets per household

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

City commissioners will discuss possible changes to animal-control rules tonight, including a limit on the number of domestic animals per household.
Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated Dec 6, 2012
south suwannee county

Lake City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

i do not see how they can enforce that law as long as all animals are being took care of

“RACE CARS, NOT DOGS”

Since: Jul 07

(currently) Central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

That's a law aimed at renters, rather than home-owners. Home-owners are the tax base but renters don't pay property taxes. But there is already a "ceiling" on pet owners as renters - that's determined by the landlord. Seems now the Commissioners want a piece of the action. The money would be better spent if the county increased staffing at Animal Services, provided animal education to their officers (and not just how to use the capture stick), and maintained a low-cost spay/neuter and animal med mobile unit.
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

"Fastjack," in many areas, these laws aren't just for renters; here in my town, homeowners are limited to how many animals they can keep (it's an "incorporated" town). As for the limit on how many animals one can keep, will this be for ANY kind of animal? For example, there's a big difference between keeping 5 hamsters and 5 great Danes. I think that common sense should be a guideline, if someone has several animals and they're well cared for and not a public nuisance, they should be allowed to keep them.

“RACE CARS, NOT DOGS”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2007

Pachacutec wrote:
"Fastjack," in many areas, these laws aren't just for renters; here in my town, homeowners are limited to how many animals they can keep (it's an "incorporated" town). As for the limit on how many animals one can keep, will this be for ANY kind of animal? For example, there's a big difference between keeping 5 hamsters and 5 great Danes. I think that common sense should be a guideline, if someone has several animals and they're well cared for and not a public nuisance, they should be allowed to keep them.
Your points are well-taken. Which then raises this question: by what standard does a municipality judge an animal is "well cared for"? Most municipalities use vaccination records, but more and more cat/dog owners are choosing to use titers and the rabies vac now runs 3-6 years (depending on manufacturer) but local laws require a yearly booster... animal care laws need to be revisited and revised to reflect the advances in vet medicine -

sjj

Since: Oct 07

orlando, florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2007

I am a dog owner and I understand where they are 'coming from'.
There are many, many people out there who are animal 'collectors' and don't take care of what they have. There are 'back yard breeders' who allow their female dogs (or cats) pump out litter after litter and the numbers get so overwhelming that it gets out of control. If you live next to or near one of these people you know what I'm talking about. Thankfully I don't live near any.
I've read about neighbors living next to bird owners who own large aviaries and the birds are so noisy, the sound is deafening.
On the flip side though, it only takes ONE non-stop yapping dog to make you want to tear your hair out.
any.

“RACE CARS, NOT DOGS”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2007

sjj wrote:
I am a dog owner and I understand where they are 'coming from'.
There are many, many people out there who are animal 'collectors' and don't take care of what they have. There are 'back yard breeders' who allow their female dogs (or cats) pump out litter after litter and the numbers get so overwhelming that it gets out of control. If you live next to or near one of these people you know what I'm talking about. Thankfully I don't live near any.
I've read about neighbors living next to bird owners who own large aviaries and the birds are so noisy, the sound is deafening.
On the flip side though, it only takes ONE non-stop yapping dog to make you want to tear your hair out.
any.
If the intent of the law is to target the backyard breeders, then the county/city really has its work cut out for them - especially since many backyard breeders buy their breeding stock from pet shops which are just the funnel for the puppy mills. AKC registration doesn't guarantee a high-quality, healthy pup - and buying from the pet shop is almost a guarantee that your pup will have health issues.
Hillary

Longwood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2007

They need to ban Pits while they are at it.
Captain America

Oakville, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2007

Hey all you re-stub-lickins, I thought you guys lived in the land of the free? Ha ha.
Matt

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 21, 2007

There should be a limit on how many idiots a city can maintain in it's government at any one time.

There are, apparently, entirely too many in Lake Mary
Hillary

Longwood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2007

Captain America wrote:
Hey all you re-stub-lickins, I thought you guys lived in the land of the free? Ha ha.
How do you like paying those canadian taxes, eh?
mosco

Southwest Brevard Cnty, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

On a related note, can we cap children per unwed mother? It might save us from disaster.
George

Kissimmee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

Captain America wrote:
It could be worse. We could live in Canada.
marko

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

i think this should be a good law...people do not need more than two dogs in residential areas..no more than two cats either..and they should be fixed!!!
Olivia

Saskatoon, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2008

Hillary wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you like paying those canadian taxes, eh?
How do you like paying for health care, eh? How do you like supporting Bush who is sending all your 18 year old sons off to die in Iraq, eh?
puppy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

how can they possibly enforce this?
sammie

Franktown, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2008

i love animals very, very, much!!!!!!!!!!
Sumara

Maryville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

there are these people that I know that have 12 dogs in there home that pee and poop in the home every where. Is there a law aginst this? If so does any one know about it? These people live in Orlando Fla. Thank you and oh yeah some of the dogs are not in good health. What can I do? please email me at lovivastar2001@yahoo.com
danielle

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

Hillary wrote:
They need to ban Pits while they are at it.
your a stuip ignorat person your the reason there is such ignorace about pitbulls ! I have a pitbull he is akc registerd k9 good citizen regizerd and he is a certified therpy dog ! so don't even say pits are mean its humans who are the monsters and people like you who spread ignorance and fear . Don't judge the breed un less u know them I chalange you to find a pitbull at a shelter and spend time with them them will change ur ignorant mind !

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Orlando Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE