Health warning: 'Soda is the next tobacco,' obesity center offi...

Move over, cigarettes. Trans fats, please make room. The battle to improve Americans' health is zeroing in on a new target: Pop. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pferdchen

United States

#22 Jun 3, 2009
Stu wrote:
<quoted text>
couldn't have said it better. Why single out smokers?
Not to mention the two fatal flaws to the premise of taxing cigarettes (or soda, or fast-food, etc):

1) Reducing smoking actually increases overall health care costs due to increased longevity.

2) The gov't gets accustomed to the cash, which declines as smoking decreases, forcing them to tax something else to make up for lost revenue.

Surprised someone hasn't suggested new products that can be taxed yet, such as marijuana ;-) Face it, the key to increased tax revenues is an increased tax-base, not a decreased tax-base.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#23 Jun 3, 2009
Why is Splenda not mentioned as an artificial sweetener?

Just asking.

“Fredneck County Md”

Level 1

Since: Feb 08

Small Town

#25 Jun 3, 2009
Musician wrote:
Why is Splenda not mentioned as an artificial sweetener?
Just asking.
J&J says... shhhh!
Born Against

Aromas, CA

#26 Jun 3, 2009
Moon_Cricket wrote:
This is total pure b/s! Let's tax the slurpee's, ice cream, cakes, pies, cookies,and anything else the goverment says is bad for you.Also should be a special tax on fast food, pizza,beef,pork. F*CK it, lets just tax everything..........
Like a sales tax?

Location hidden

#27 Jun 3, 2009
Well property rights people told you this was coming.....
Susan Mitchell PhD RD

Longwood, FL

#28 Jun 3, 2009
I support public policies that encourage health, but to be clear, high fructose corn syrup is not a “health risk.” High fructose corn syrup has been the subject of a lot of misinformation, many myths, inaccuracies and untruths. Much of the misinformation comes from the confusion of what high fructose corn syrup really is. The corn sweetener is nearly identical to table sugar (sucrose), which comes from sugar cane or beets. Both sugar and high fructose corn syrup contain 4 calories per gram, and your body metabolizes them the same way.

As a registered dietitian who focuses on weight loss and health, I can tell you that no single food or ingredient is the sole cause of obesity or other disease states – rather, the primary cause is too many calories and too little exercise.

Like sugar or honey, high fructose corn syrup has calories. Excessive calories, from whatever source, can promote weight gain. But replacing high fructose corn syrup with sugar will not reduce obesity or improve health. They are nutritionally the same.

Susan Mitchell, PhD, RD, FADA

Location hidden

#29 Jun 3, 2009
A good deal of foods thought to be healthy will pack on pounds easily.

Granola comes to mind.
Not the whole story

Orlando, FL

#30 Jun 3, 2009
sandpiper wrote:
Knew it was coming. When everyone cheered the diabolical increase of tobacco tax they didn't see the big picture. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. Now they are coming for the obese and suddenly the tax is a terrible thing. It was alright as long as it was tobacco but it won't stop there. That was just the beginning because obese people are a great burden on the health programs. You will see taxes on all sorts of food and food supported products. So how does it feel when it comes flying back in your face? I suggest you do the same thing smokers are forced into doing, pay up or stop eating.
No, the tax is a great thing!!

The solution is not to stop eating. Food, unlike tobacco, is necessary to sustain life. What fat Americans will have to do is either pay up or change what they eat.

You get an A for effort, though.
mr ed

Odessa, FL

#31 Jun 3, 2009
WAKEUP wrote:
don't any of you get it? TOO MUCH GOVT!!!!!!
TAX TAX TAX! Follow the money and see who is benefitting from all of this! Its not about making people "healthy" --- its about collecting money for the money grubbing elite!!!!! and destroying the free economy.
I get it! I got it when they jacked up tobacco. I KNEW then...this is just the beginning.
Now..if that VAT (value added tax) aka National Tax gets the green light...look out America! Everything will go up probably starting @ 10%.
You can thank the far left Dems for this taxation. They have to generate money to support all their screw ups!
ImSoHappy

Portsmouth, OH

#32 Jun 3, 2009
They taxed the smoker all they can. Since there are more non smokers then smokers, and you stupid non smokers went right along with taxing the smokers. Now they are going to find a way to tax the $hit out of the non smoker. Thank god you non smokers deserve all the new tax that will be imposed on each and everyone of you.! How does it feel. Ha Ha Ha. Suck it up and shut up, your the reason why in the first place.
Not the whole story

Orlando, FL

#33 Jun 4, 2009
ImSoHappy wrote:
They taxed the smoker all they can. Since there are more non smokers then smokers, and you stupid non smokers went right along with taxing the smokers. Now they are going to find a way to tax the $hit out of the non smoker. Thank god you non smokers deserve all the new tax that will be imposed on each and everyone of you.! How does it feel. Ha Ha Ha. Suck it up and shut up, your the reason why in the first place.
Bubba:

What tax, solely directed towards nonsmokers, are you talking about? Are you saying that smokers don't eat junk food?
Phobinator

Portsmouth, OH

#34 Jun 4, 2009
Not the whole story wrote:
<quoted text>
Bubba:
What tax, solely directed towards nonsmokers, are you talking about? Are you saying that smokers don't eat junk food?
Q-Tip. Ah I didnt say that at all. But If they start taxing Junk food they are getting money from the other 79 percent that doesnt smoke. Again, Ha ha ha.
Pachacutec

Fort Collins, CO

#35 Jun 4, 2009
Deputy Dog wrote:
Damn, can't afford a cigarette with my rum and coke and now can't have one with my Mountain Dew.
What's next? A tax on each sheet of toliet paper?
More than likely; all of these new regs and taxes are a load of ----, anyhow...
American

Windermere, FL

#36 Jun 4, 2009
We are no longer a free country! It is my business if I drink a soda not any of yours!

I may not like the way our president went to New York for a date night with his wife on tax payer money! If I say anyting all I will hear is how it is OK if he does that. Leave me and my sodas alone or I will go after whatever it is you enjoy doing!

Mind your own business!!!!!!!
mr ed

Odessa, FL

#37 Jun 4, 2009
We're ALL going to be $crewed by the Dems. Just wait & see how bad things get. Tobacco, sodas are the tip of the iceberg with what's coming down the Dem pipeline! They HAVE to find a WAY to pay for all the bailouts & stimulus $$...now they are looking for ways to pay for socialized health care which is NOT free...your taxes will go sky high not counting getting inferior raioned care after waiting for weeks & months to be seen.
Enjoy everything now as your life won't be your own soon. It will be governed by Big Brother.
No Mention of HFCS

United States

#38 Jun 4, 2009
Susan Mitchell PhD RD wrote:
I support public policies that encourage health, but to be clear, high fructose corn syrup is not a “health risk.” High fructose corn syrup has been the subject of a lot of misinformation, many myths, inaccuracies and untruths. Much of the misinformation comes from the confusion of what high fructose corn syrup really is. The corn sweetener is nearly identical to table sugar (sucrose), which comes from sugar cane or beets. Both sugar and high fructose corn syrup contain 4 calories per gram, and your body metabolizes them the same way.
As a registered dietitian who focuses on weight loss and health, I can tell you that no single food or ingredient is the sole cause of obesity or other disease states – rather, the primary cause is too many calories and too little exercise.
Like sugar or honey, high fructose corn syrup has calories. Excessive calories, from whatever source, can promote weight gain. But replacing high fructose corn syrup with sugar will not reduce obesity or improve health. They are nutritionally the same.
Susan Mitchell, PhD, RD, FADA
I choose to disagree with you and am not impressed with the PHD, etc. after your name! I maintain that high fructose corn syrup is very bad for one's health, and was not in my previous post suggesting that HFCS be replaced with sugar. I was simply encouraging people to investigate what numerous scientists have been warning us about concerning HFCS use in our foods. I find it irresponsible for you to state that HFCS is not a danger to one's health and then continue to tell the reader that, indeed, it must be since too many calories contribute to health problems. Besides, the body does not assimilate HFCS exactly like it does sugar. There are times when being "educated" and trying to speak with the voice of authority will do more harm than good. I still encourage readers to research for themselves and make the decision whether or not to ingest high fructose corn syrup. As for me, I will continue to avoid its use in my diet and hope others will do the same.
American

Windermere, FL

#39 Jun 5, 2009
Step away from my SODA!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Waxman 1,174,266
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 8 min WAS sanka 491,395
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 12 min SpaceBlues 50,475
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 1 hr LizW 70,800
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 1 hr LizW 17,840
5000 post wins (Feb '13) 8 hr Princess Hey 4,380
last post wins! (Jul '11) 8 hr Princess Hey 5,354
Orlando Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News