Health warning: 'Soda is the next tob...

Health warning: 'Soda is the next tobacco,' obesity center offi...

There are 44 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jun 2, 2009, titled Health warning: 'Soda is the next tobacco,' obesity center offi.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Move over, cigarettes. Trans fats, please make room. The battle to improve Americans' health is zeroing in on a new target: Pop.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
ut oh

Windermere, FL

#1 Jun 2, 2009
How do I avoid paying the tax on luxury yachts? I don't buy luxury yachts.

How do I avoid paying the tax on gas guzzling vehicles? I don't buy gas guzzling vehicles.

When the tax on soda is imposed, I'll then exercise my choice and either buy or not buy soda. It will be my choice.
DAS

Pompano Beach, FL

#2 Jun 2, 2009
SODA ???????? How about ALCOHOL ???????? Oh thats right You all CONDONE DRINKING AND DRIVING thats right
DAS

Pompano Beach, FL

#3 Jun 2, 2009
You all even warn of Checkpoints in the Papers,News,And on the RADIO of Time,Place and City.......SMooth Move..Condone alcohol and Ban Soda and Smokers oh and PITBULLS
grumpy

United States

#4 Jun 2, 2009
They should tax based on how obese a person is. A true fat tax based on weight. Smokers shouldn't be carrying the burden for the other 80% who are obese & unhealthy.
Obescity Czar

Boca Raton, FL

#6 Jun 2, 2009
I'm gonna get you!
DAS

Pompano Beach, FL

#7 Jun 3, 2009
grumpy wrote:
They should tax based on how obese a person is. A true fat tax based on weight. Smokers shouldn't be carrying the burden for the other 80% who are obese & unhealthy.
No drunks and the alcohol companies should be .....
I say

Boca Raton, FL

#8 Jun 3, 2009
Good, and after that candy and other junk food.

Then "fast food".

If you'r gonna ding us smokers, make every one else pay also.
Deputy Dog

Altamonte Springs, FL

#9 Jun 3, 2009
Damn, can't afford a cigarette with my rum and coke and now can't have one with my Mountain Dew.

What's next? A tax on each sheet of toliet paper?
sandpiper

Palm Bay, FL

#10 Jun 3, 2009
Knew it was coming. When everyone cheered the diabolical increase of tobacco tax they didn't see the big picture. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. Now they are coming for the obese and suddenly the tax is a terrible thing. It was alright as long as it was tobacco but it won't stop there. That was just the beginning because obese people are a great burden on the health programs. You will see taxes on all sorts of food and food supported products. So how does it feel when it comes flying back in your face? I suggest you do the same thing smokers are forced into doing, pay up or stop eating.
Debbie

Pompano Beach, FL

#11 Jun 3, 2009
DAS wrote:
SODA ???????? How about ALCOHOL ???????? Oh thats right You all CONDONE DRINKING AND DRIVING thats right
The best part about beer?
It pisses you off.
Debbie

Pompano Beach, FL

#12 Jun 3, 2009
Deputy Dog wrote:
Damn, can't afford a cigarette with my rum and coke and now can't have one with my Mountain Dew.
What's next? A tax on each sheet of toliet paper?
For kee-rist sakes don't give them any ideas!
Carolyn

Eau Claire, WI

#13 Jun 3, 2009
Grumpy's right. Doesn't matter how someone got fat...burgers, fries, beer, soda. It's the PERSON who is responsible. People who are running up our health costs, doubling them, are the ones who should pay..not me. It is not the govt's responsibility to take care of your health, it is YOUR responsibility. These overweight people are costing us BILLIONS...I do not want to "share the burden" with those who don't bother to take care of themselves. I do.
Stu

Glenview, IL

#14 Jun 3, 2009
sandpiper wrote:
Knew it was coming. When everyone cheered the diabolical increase of tobacco tax they didn't see the big picture. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. Now they are coming for the obese and suddenly the tax is a terrible thing. It was alright as long as it was tobacco but it won't stop there. That was just the beginning because obese people are a great burden on the health programs. You will see taxes on all sorts of food and food supported products. So how does it feel when it comes flying back in your face? I suggest you do the same thing smokers are forced into doing, pay up or stop eating.
couldn't have said it better. Why single out smokers?
Tremor

Santa Cruz, CA

#15 Jun 3, 2009
Soda doesn't get into my nose, and onto my hair and clothes like second hand smoke does. Who cares?
john

Buffalo, NY

#16 Jun 3, 2009
grumpy wrote:
I agree as well, but they should still tax "pop" to help pay for the health care for people who choose to keep drinking it!
Beach

Santa Cruz, CA

#17 Jun 3, 2009
Carolyn wrote:
Grumpy's right. Doesn't matter how someone got fat...burgers, fries, beer, soda. It's the PERSON who is responsible. People who are running up our health costs, doubling them, are the ones who should pay..not me. It is not the govt's responsibility to take care of your health, it is YOUR responsibility. These overweight people are costing us BILLIONS...I do not want to "share the burden" with those who don't bother to take care of themselves. I do.
So are people born with disabilities. Should we murder them at birth, so you don't share their burden?
No Mention of HFCS

Hollywood, FL

#18 Jun 3, 2009
High Fructose Corn Syrup is not mentioned in the article about sodas, obesity, and disease. To educate yourselves, your family and friends, go to GOOGLE and type in "Dangers of High Fructose Corn Syrup" and you will find scientific facts that suggest HFCS's are a definite contributing factor in the health problems of Americans. HFCS has been used only a short period of time since the 1970's as a cheaper replacement for regular sugar. HFCS acts as a fat on the body and causes the body to hold the fat. Unlike sugar, HFCS is processed in the body quite differently than sugar. The incidence of obesity and diabetes has grown to epidemic proportions following the ever increasing use of HFCS over those intervening years. HFCS is found in far too many foods to list here, and is produced by liquifying CORN STARCH which is nothing close to a direct sugar cane product. I use very little sweetener, but would definitely choose real sugar over any product containing HFCS. It is truly deadly, and unfortunately no one wants to challenge the corn producers. Scientists could prove that HFCS is very dangerous! So go educate yourselves and stop consuming anything that has HFCS in it. You will be very, very surprised to learn how many of our foods contain this terrible additive. READ ALL FOOD LABELS!!!
skinny girl

Cleveland, OH

#19 Jun 3, 2009
I drink soda a lot. I love it!!! And I am still 110lbs. To those people who drink soda and get fat...stop drinking it. It's not fair that I will get taxed because you are fat.
really

Santa Cruz, CA

#20 Jun 3, 2009
skinny girl wrote:
I drink soda a lot. I love it!!! And I am still 110lbs. To those people who drink soda and get fat...stop drinking it. It's not fair that I will get taxed because you are fat.
It's still unhealthy whether or no you get fat. Being underweight is just as unhealthy as being overweight.
WAKEUP

Union City, OH

#21 Jun 3, 2009
don't any of you get it? TOO MUCH GOVT!!!!!!
TAX TAX TAX! Follow the money and see who is benefitting from all of this! Its not about making people "healthy" --- its about collecting money for the money grubbing elite!!!!! and destroying the free economy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min JCPete 1,656,926
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Dudley 64,306
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 4 hr Mary NY 514,731
News Palins look to land and sea to build wealth; es... (Oct '08) 4 hr Italo 6
Happy Cats Purr! 4 hr Kitty 3
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... (May '17) 5 hr Frindly 1,191
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 6 hr LizW 73,878

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages