Patients taking Zocor or Vytorin and ...

Patients taking Zocor or Vytorin and a heart rhythm drug can su...

There are 12 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Aug 8, 2008, titled Patients taking Zocor or Vytorin and a heart rhythm drug can su.... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

The Food and Drug Administration said doctors should use extra care when prescribing Zocor, generic Zocor, or Vytorin to patients who are also taking amiodarone, a heart rhythm drug marketed as Cordarone or ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

ATRIAL FIBULATOR

Delray Beach, FL

#1 Aug 12, 2008
Goodby Simvastatine! I wondered why I was taking it anyway as my chlorestol is good! I don't need to be causing problems so I am stopping now!
louie judd

United States

#2 Aug 12, 2008
Take Aged Garlic , Red Yeast Rice and Omega 3 fish oil to lower your cholesterol and blood pressure, don't be a sucker to the drug companies
monio

United States

#3 Aug 12, 2008
louie judd wrote:
Take Aged Garlic , Red Yeast Rice and Omega 3 fish oil to lower your cholesterol and blood pressure, don't be a sucker to the drug companies
Red Yeast Rice used to be chemically the same as a statin, but the FDA made the manufacturers remove some of the compounds in it, rendering useless. If you take statins or for health benefits do not forget COQ10.
Atlantan

Atlanta, GA

#4 Aug 12, 2008
statins should be in the water.
louie judd

United States

#5 Aug 12, 2008
monio wrote:
<quoted text>
Red Yeast Rice used to be chemically the same as a statin, but the FDA made the manufacturers remove some of the compounds in it, rendering useless. If you take statins or for health benefits do not forget COQ10.
add White Tea, Honey and Vinegar to the list of good things for your body
Paul

Hollywood, FL

#6 Aug 12, 2008
If I take Crestor or any statin, cramps are frequent and severe. Anybody else have this problem? Now my shoulders ache. Ouch!
Wanda M

Howell, NJ

#7 Aug 13, 2008
maxfield

Orlando, FL

#8 Aug 13, 2008
Paul wrote:
If I take Crestor or any statin, cramps are frequent and severe. Anybody else have this problem? Now my shoulders ache. Ouch!
Yes Yes Yes. My cholesterol is 233 even as a vegetarian, and even on Zetia. That statins did wonders for me but I had to use a cane to get up and walk. My new PCP has started me on a high quality brand (Xymogen)CoQ10 for two weeks prior to starting 10 mg of simivistatin along with the CoQ10.. I am so disgusted with my lipids I am willing to try anything. He said he has 150 patients who were intolerant to statins that he put on this program and all but 20 can now take statins. I am a vegetarian, work out daily, am 58, take plant sterols, use soy products, and am slim(5'8" and 155 pds) but heredity is killing me. I cannot take red yeast rice either, it gives me horrible muscle cramps too.(It is a precursor to statins.)Supposedly the statins deplete the CoQ10 and this is what causes muscle cramps. Wish me luck - I have no other solutions.
manuelwc

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Sep 23, 2009
I had coronary artery bypass surgery in 1986 I had problems after beginning statins not the least of which is severe peripheral neuropathy. I gave up on statins and tried red yeast rice and have severe leg cramps that start within 12 hours of my first half dose. I take plant sterols and policosonal but my cholesterol still runs about 260. I have even tried fasting for two weeks followed by a strict vegetarian diet and my cholestrol dropped by a stunning 7 points. Any ideas?
Tracey

Les Mureaux, France

#11 Jul 21, 2010
Paul wrote:
If I take Crestor or any statin, cramps are frequent and severe. Anybody else have this problem? Now my shoulders ache. Ouch!
I too have experianced cramps that have almost caused me to miss work. First it was my neck, then my back and now my ribs. Also having a problem with my elbow joint. I never associated it with this drug until a co-worker started telling me about her concerns with the drug. I started taking a yoga class which seems to have helped.
Health Nut

Bluefield, WV

#12 May 24, 2011
maxfield wrote:
<quoted text>Yes Yes Yes. My cholesterol is 233 even as a vegetarian, and even on Zetia. That statins did wonders for me but I had to use a cane to get up and walk. My new PCP has started me on a high quality brand (Xymogen)CoQ10 for two weeks prior to starting 10 mg of simivistatin along with the CoQ10.. I am so disgusted with my lipids I am willing to try anything. He said he has 150 patients who were intolerant to statins that he put on this program and all but 20 can now take statins. I am a vegetarian, work out daily, am 58, take plant sterols, use soy products, and am slim(5'8" and 155 pds) but heredity is killing me. I cannot take red yeast rice either, it gives me horrible muscle cramps too.(It is a precursor to statins.)Supposedly the statins deplete the CoQ10 and this is what causes muscle cramps. Wish me luck - I have no other solutions.
I hope you're finding solutions to your problem. I use Xymogen products and have had wonderful results. Unfortunately, they're hard to get for someone who lives in a rural area. I wouldn't order them from online vendors, because they're "grey market" and may not be fresh. I have a relative who sees a nutritionist who lets patients order supplements direct. See http://thpn.com/order/ and best wishes to you!
Memorial Hermann

Spring, TX

#13 Jul 5, 2013
Happy to NOT take any meds. Feel sorry for people on statins, Insulin, heart meds, high blood pressure meds, and with mobility issue. One of the posters wrote that they took ALLI to lower their cholesterol and pooped an oil slick in their pool. How embarrassing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Incognito4Ever 1,383,120
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 58 min freelancehobo 59,488
New Game ***Last Word + 2 (Oct '11) 12 hr Princess Hey 12,648
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 13 hr HELL ON EARTH 513,240
___Justice For Caylee___Cont. (Feb '10) 14 hr realTopaz 25,557
Douche Bag Dias Skank Ho Anthony 18 hr Kyle 2
News Suspect Had Quit Rehab (Mar '08) Tue Ken Burke 135
Has Casey Anthony Had Sex with Jose Baez (Jun '11) Tue bigjohnson321 159
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages