Gastric surgery puts obese patients a...

Gastric surgery puts obese patients and insurance industry at odds

There are 97 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Dec 31, 2007, titled Gastric surgery puts obese patients and insurance industry at odds. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

If you smoked a pack of cigarettes every day for 20 years, you might develop lung cancer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
BLANTONA1

Winter Garden, FL

#87 Jan 3, 2008
jenna wrote:
i wonder what Jennifer, Jessica, Paris, and the rest of them will look like when they are forty. There will be a price to pay. Look at Elizabeth Taylor.
What, might i ask, makes you all sooooo violently negative about overweight people? What do they do to you?
You all act like you know absolutely everything about metabolism, genetics, etc. I'm curious about how many degrees you all have in anything medical.
I don't feel violently negative about anyone. What I do feel negative about are those in society who refuse to accept responsibility for their actions and in turn cause the rest of us to pay the piper. Because of diseases linked to obesity, insurance rates are higher...why should those who are not overweight/obese pay higher premiums to cover illnesses for those that are? Just to let you know, I say the same for those who have repeated auto accidents, smoke or build in a flood/hurricane prone area. If a person decides to take an action, whether that be eating in excess, smoking, driving 100 mph or building on the beach, then they alone should accept the consequences.

Studies show that out of the millions that are overweight/obese in this country that only 10% of obesity can be directly linked to genetics or medical issues. So what does that tell us about the other 90%? What it tells me is that they made their choices and now it is time for THEM to accept responsibility for them. And I think what really gets under everyones skin is the fact that nobody becomes obese overnight....they saw the train and decided to sit on the tracks anyway. Now that theres been a crash they want to blame everyone and everything BUT their own choices, bad habits and lifestyle.
jenna

Orlando, FL

#88 Jan 3, 2008
and most people keep saying that ten percent of obese people have a real medical issue. Since so many people in this country are overweight, i'm guessing that 10% is a fairly significant number, and yet i have seen post after post saying that even the people who had the surgery could have just 'shut their mouths and got off their fat asses'. That seems unnecessarily harsh to me. On the one hand you acknowledge some people legitimately need help, and then you bash them for getting it. Seems a little inconsistent to me, and frankly, it seems pretty malicious, mean, spiteful, and aggressive. Even that woman who posted about her sister was accused of lying. It seems to me the people who post feel they know everything about everyone, and they have some major vested interest in being right. I don't get it, but whatever works for them...

And who exactly is 'paying the consequences' for their surgery? We all pay for shoplifters, drunk drivers, alcoholics, dead beats, and welfare fraud perpetrators. Smokers not only harm their own health but the health of those around them. I don't see anyone bashing them or the drunk drivers who destroy families and ruin lives.

Seems like a lot of hatred hidden behind the mask of cost.
jenna

Orlando, FL

#89 Jan 3, 2008
not a question, just a comment. I feel very, very sorry for any overweight patients you treat. Your complete lack of compassion and obviously prejudicial attitude must make for a difficult time when they have to turn to you and others like you for help. It's sad that you all have to be so right and refuse to open your mind to any other reality than the one you espouse. Even that woman who said her sister gained weight while medically observed to be not eating was told that wasn't true. I guess the poster who rebutted her statement was there and spoke to her doctor. I'm not sure why it's so hard for you all to believe that some people truly struggle with weight in ways they cannot control simply through diet and exercise, but it's a total waste of time to try to open such closed minds. I'm not saying all obesity is inevitable, but remember, just because something hasn't been proved with a blood test beyond a reasonable doubt doesn't mean it's not real. There was a time when people didn't think hand washing was necessary because they couldn't see the germs. Try a little compassion. You might like the way it feels.

I'm through with this forum. Obviously intelligent conversation is impossible to find with those who know everything and can't possibly look at another point of view.
abcxyz

Gainesville, FL

#90 Jan 3, 2008
I have compassion for children who developed cancer, I have compassion for patients, who were driving legally and were hit by a drunk driver and I have compassion for patients suffering from health problems brought about by their behavior, when they acknowledge that their behavior led to their problems and they try to correct the problem. I lose my compassion when patients refuse to acknowledge the 1000’s of animal and human studies that show beyond a doubt that obese people eat too much and exercise too little.

I have been in healthcare for nearly 30 years and have seen a total of 1 patient that had a hormonal imbalance resulting in their obesity. That issue was corrected and the patient was able to get to a healthy weight.

The obesity epidemic in the last 20-30 years in this country is not the result of “genetics”. Human genes don’t mutate that rapidly. If genetics are the cause of the problem why aren’t our European countries suffering from a similar obesity epidemic?

Biatric surgery will result in weight loss and it fits with the American “model of medicine” where patients want a quick fix from a pill or surgery to remedy life style problems.

Many patients have found the South Beach diet to be a good life style change diet that allows filling meals that can result in gradual, sustained weight loss.

If you doctor has approved exercise, start walking. If you get tired after 3 minutes, stop and rest and go for another 3 minutes. Exercise daily for a week and then increases it by 2 minutes per week if that is all you can tolerate. Keep increasing the duration until you are doing 30-60 minutes per day and keep it up for a lifetime. Losing weight will make you look better, reduce your blood pressure, reduce your risk of developing diabetes or lower your insulin requirement if you already have insulin dependent diabetes.

For those of you struggling with obesity, I wish you nothing but the best. Losing weigh is TOUGH- it requires life style changes which are much harder than taking a daily pill or even undergoing high risk surgery.
BLANTONA1

Winter Garden, FL

#91 Jan 3, 2008
jenna wrote:
and most people keep saying that ten percent of obese people have a real medical issue. Since so many people in this country are overweight, i'm guessing that 10% is a fairly significant number, and yet i have seen post after post saying that even the people who had the surgery could have just 'shut their mouths and got off their fat asses'. That seems unnecessarily harsh to me. On the one hand you acknowledge some people legitimately need help, and then you bash them for getting it. Seems a little inconsistent to me, and frankly, it seems pretty malicious, mean, spiteful, and aggressive. Even that woman who posted about her sister was accused of lying. It seems to me the people who post feel they know everything about everyone, and they have some major vested interest in being right. I don't get it, but whatever works for them...
And who exactly is 'paying the consequences' for their surgery? We all pay for shoplifters, drunk drivers, alcoholics, dead beats, and welfare fraud perpetrators. Smokers not only harm their own health but the health of those around them. I don't see anyone bashing them or the drunk drivers who destroy families and ruin lives.
Actually if you had read my post carefully, I stated that I have NO tolerance for anyone who chooses an action and expects us all to pay for it. And you obviously haven't been on any of the blogs where the topic is smoking, drunk driving, welfare cheats,theives etc.....believe me there are plenty of people who expect those people to pay for their actions too and are not at all tolerant of those who try to use excuses and are in denial about their responsibility and participation in the problem.

In answer to your question, we ALL pay for this problem in the form of higher insurance and medical costs. Yes, 10% are actually a genetic/medical issue and yes that number is significant.....however it is a mere drop in the bucket compared to the size of the problem.
questions

Leesburg, FL

#92 Jan 4, 2008
abcxyz wrote:
I have compassion for children who developed cancer, I have compassion for patients, who were driving legally and were hit by a drunk driver and I have compassion for patients suffering from health problems brought about by their behavior, when they acknowledge that their behavior led to their problems and they try to correct the problem. I lose my compassion when patients refuse to acknowledge the 1000’s of animal and human studies that show beyond a doubt that obese people eat too much and exercise too little.
I have been in healthcare for nearly 30 years and have seen a total of 1 patient that had a hormonal imbalance resulting in their obesity. That issue was corrected and the patient was able to get to a healthy weight.
The obesity epidemic in the last 20-30 years in this country is not the result of “genetics”. Human genes don’t mutate that rapidly. If genetics are the cause of the problem why aren’t our European countries suffering from a similar obesity epidemic?
Biatric surgery will result in weight loss and it fits with the American “model of medicine” where patients want a quick fix from a pill or surgery to remedy life style problems.
Many patients have found the South Beach diet to be a good life style change diet that allows filling meals that can result in gradual, sustained weight loss.
If you doctor has approved exercise, start walking. If you get tired after 3 minutes, stop and rest and go for another 3 minutes. Exercise daily for a week and then increases it by 2 minutes per week if that is all you can tolerate. Keep increasing the duration until you are doing 30-60 minutes per day and keep it up for a lifetime. Losing weight will make you look better, reduce your blood pressure, reduce your risk of developing diabetes or lower your insulin requirement if you already have insulin dependent diabetes.
For those of you struggling with obesity, I wish you nothing but the best. Losing weigh is TOUGH- it requires life style changes which are much harder than taking a daily pill or even undergoing high risk surgery.
You are right it is the result of poisoning us with our food supply. Some are more susceptible than others. When I was born in the fifties we did not have all of these obese people. Mothers cooked the meals and they did not go to the gym or jog, and yet they were NOT obese.What changed? Our food supply.Take an objective look at what has happened to our country without the incessant drumbeat blaming the populous as lazy and fat. Hey if 60 percent are fat, look at the food supply. In their literature you will find the truth.http://geneticake.wordpr ess.com/2007/08/06/msg-insidio us-poison-food-industry-conspi racy/
questions

Leesburg, FL

#93 Jan 4, 2008
jenna wrote:
You are absolutely right!!!
Robert

Hollywood, FL

#94 Jan 9, 2008
Let's do a little arithmetic. Assume a population of 300 million people of which 200 million are adults who buy insurance. Let's now assume that 60% of adults or 120 million are overweight to some degree. Then let's assume that half of those adults or 60,000,000 people are candidates for the bariatric surgery considering the liberalized guidelines suggested by this article and that insurance would pay for the procedure. At $30,000 per operation the total cost is $1.8 trillion. Spread that cost over the 200 million insurance buyers and you get a $9,000 per buyer cost. It's fair to assume that the cost of care for complications of obesity would be about the same as for the costs for the complications of this surgery plus the costs of ongoing post surgical maintenance. Therefore, the cost of the surgeries would add $9,000 to your insurance premiums. If you want to pay this in addition to what you are paying now for insurance, then agree with the advocates for the procedure. If not, take the stand that this should continue to be an elective, self-pay procedure except in the most extreme cases. The logic used in this article is what gets us to the healthcare cost crisis we are now in. I want to understand, but dollars get in the way.
EYG

Keller, TX

#95 Jan 10, 2008
What everyone is forgetting is that INSURANCE COMPANIES set the criteria one must meet to qualify for bariatric surgery. Even if the patient meets all of their conditions, insurance companies still jack patients around in every way possible to avoid paying for the surgery. If they don't want to cover it, then they need to simply say so and leave it at that. Your premiums are paying for administrative costs for them to continue their b.s. It would be cheaper to just pay the damn surgery.
This this surgery helps people in the long run, and should reduce insurance costs overall. You would all rather use your prejudices to cry "I SHOULDN'T PAY FOR YOUR FAT-ASS LIFESTYLE" than to admit the benefits of this surgery. The fact of the matter is, insurance companies don't want to pay ANY claims. Mark my words, they have plenty of money to cover these surgeries. They just want more and more money, so "discriminate" against these policyholders despite them meeting THIER OWN criteria. Keeps their CEO's happy with continued giant paychecks. Let's be real: Your premiums aren't high because of fat people, drunks, bi-polar disorder, smoking, diabetes, etc. Your premiums are high because of GREED. Smokers generally pay higher premiums to cover their lifestyle choice, anyway. Lost of self-righteous people on this board. I hope you all get fat.

FWIW, I'm not overweight so don't even go there.
Nicholas

UK

#96 Jan 10, 2008
I'm sorry but the only reason for being overweight is either over-eating lack of exercise or a combination of both. Take time out and look at some photos or film footage from just after WW2 and see how many fat people are in it. Not many, food and money were not as readily available as it is now. And by the way I’m overweight myself!
questions

Leesburg, FL

#97 Jan 10, 2008
Nicholas wrote:
I'm sorry but the only reason for being overweight is either over-eating lack of exercise or a combination of both. Take time out and look at some photos or film footage from just after WW2 and see how many fat people are in it. Not many, food and money were not as readily available as it is now. And by the way I’m overweight myself!
They started putting msg in the food in 1948. You just made an astute observation.The excercise level has not changed that much but the obesity level has.
Meg

Washington, DC

#98 Jan 11, 2008
questions wrote:
<quoted text>They started putting msg in the food in 1948. You just made an astute observation.The excercise level has not changed that much but the obesity level has.
Ah, you should re-read the comment to which you responded. The writer said the amoun of food eaten and the lack of exercise in todays world are the 2 main contributors to being overweight. and by the way, the Chinese are the main users of MSG, and how many overweight Chinese to you see? It's on the rise tho' in China. Know why? TAKING ON AMERICAN EATING HABITS.
questions

Leesburg, FL

#99 Jan 11, 2008
Meg wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, you should re-read the comment to which you responded. The writer said the amoun of food eaten and the lack of exercise in todays world are the 2 main contributors to being overweight. and by the way, the Chinese are the main users of MSG, and how many overweight Chinese to you see? It's on the rise tho' in China. Know why? TAKING ON AMERICAN EATING HABITS.
Obviously you did not read mine. I just said the excercise level has not changed that much since 1948. We did not go the gym back then nor jog, yet we did not have obese people everywhere. The msg is in almost all of our food in increasing levels.It is even sprayed on our vegetables and fruits.It is poison, and causes damage to the part of the brain that controls hunger. Why is it so hard to comprehend the studies that have already been done show the connection between ingestion of msg and obesity?The studies have been done on rats and chimps and other animals. Now they are doing them on the general public by allowing this poison in our food supply.Msg has no nutritional value and it is not a preservative as some have said on here.They tell you it is a flavor enhancer,in reality it is a chemical that has been shown to damage the hypothalamus. It should be banned in foods.
Meg

Washington, DC

#100 Jan 11, 2008
questions wrote:
<quoted text>Obviously you did not read mine. I just said the excercise level has not changed that much since 1948. We did not go the gym back then nor jog, yet we did not have obese people everywhere. The msg is in almost all of our food in increasing levels.It is even sprayed on our vegetables and fruits.It is poison, and causes damage to the part of the brain that controls hunger. Why is it so hard to comprehend the studies that have already been done show the connection between ingestion of msg and obesity?The studies have been done on rats and chimps and other animals. Now they are doing them on the general public by allowing this poison in our food supply.Msg has no nutritional value and it is not a preservative as some have said on here.They tell you it is a flavor enhancer,in reality it is a chemical that has been shown to damage the hypothalamus. It should be banned in foods.
The MSG issue is a valid one, however you seem to be making it the major contributor to the problem and it's not. I can be a foctor in some people that is true, for the majority, it's not the problem. The problem for MOST is that mor eis consumed than calories burned. The reasons for over consumption are MANY. Below is a list. And, "exercise" in our daily lives has been dramatically reduced due to modern conveniences and toys/entertainment. Simple things, getting up to change the channel on the TV, going out to play vs playing video games, computer surfing, the list goes on and on. The simple fact is we used to have to expend a lot more energy to get things done and get through our days than we do now.

Environmental Reasons
• Poverty
Physical Reasons
• Metabolism
• Genetics
• Handicaps, injuries, etc.
Conscious Reasons
• Eating to feel good
• Bad eating habits (Ignorance of nutrition and health.)
• Insufficient exercise
Subconscious Reasons
• Health
• Rejection (as a Need; as an Excuse)
• Moral Imperatives; or, Does Fat Fend Off Fidelity Failures?
• Jolly Needs
• Social Compliance
• Psychological Threat
• The Evil Eye
• Punishment.
ms porky pig

Lakeland, FL

#101 Jan 11, 2008
savannah wrote:
and i guess all black people are lazy and stupid, all Jews are cheap, all Mexicans are greasy, all blondes are dumb. You all act like you know everything about every overweight person in the world.
If you never struggled with a weight problem, you should thank God. If you know someone who dieted and exercised and it worked, great, but don't you dare assume that every overweight person lacks willpower, eats junk all day, never exercises, or is just lazy and worthless.
Why is it, I wonder, that the people who are the most ignorant always seem to have the most to say?
I have struggled and continue to struggle with a weight problem every day. I have to struggle to not eat the doughnuts sitting out for me every week. I have to struggle to get up at 5:30 am to exercise so I can lose my excess weight. It is a struggle every day but you know what, I do it because I care about my health. I have slips and gain weight back sometimes but I don't blame anyone for it and I don't expect my insurance to bail me out of it.
dan

Colton, CA

#102 Sep 28, 2008
A few weeks ago, Parade Magazine featured an article that reported the findings of a study from Melbourne, Australia confirming what many of us have known definitively for a number of years now. Type 2 diabetes can, through weight loss attributed to bariatric banding surgery, be reversed.

http://www.bariatric-beds.com
Rocco
#103 Sep 23, 2013
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Grey Ghost 1,459,525
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) 28 min Patriot AKA Bozo 7,946
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Walla Walla Ding ... 62,342
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 10 hr Princess Hey 19,229
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 16 hr zazz 98,274
News Judge's brother, a convicted murderer, is back ... (Mar '08) 20 hr flbadcatowner 84
News Doctor offering 'chelation therapy' has office ... (Apr '08) Tue Debbieg1 10

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages