FDA: Cheerios not as healthy as they say

Full story: Newsday

The FDA told Cheerios cereal to stop making claims that it will lower cholesterol and treat heart disease Federal regulators have scolded the maker of Cheerios, saying the company made inappropriate claims about the popular cereal's ability to lower cholesterol and treat heart disease.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 34 of34
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Big Pharma strikes back

Santa Barbara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2009

The FDA has become little more than an extension of Big Pharma. Eating apples can help lower cholesterol, but you can't advertise that fact because "only a drug can make such claims." The idiocy and arrogance of the pharmaceutical industry is beyond belief sometimes.
Some Other Guy

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2009

Big Pharma strikes back wrote:
The FDA has become little more than an extension of Big Pharma. Eating apples can help lower cholesterol, but you can't advertise that fact because "only a drug can make such claims." The idiocy and arrogance of the pharmaceutical industry is beyond belief sometimes.
I suspect most of us don't know half of the lies we get told by industries & expects; of the important information we don't get told; of the falsehoods we believe and even defend.
imho

Windermere, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2009

people, if you are going to comment on the article, please READ it first.

This is about the drug companies keeping the govt in their pocket. Why would we need Lipitor if we could lower our cholesterol with diet and exercise?
hogdaddy

Montgomery, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2009

looks like the phar. industry has had enough of companies advertising their product--in conjuction with a diet and exercise--can improve peoples health..WITHOUT PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION....guess it is clear that the FDA is on the drug makers side...
monoply

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2009

...because only the government is allowed to make false claims and tell us outright lies!
Wintergirl

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

imho wrote:
people, if you are going to comment on the article, please READ it first.
This is about the drug companies keeping the govt in their pocket. Why would we need Lipitor if we could lower our cholesterol with diet and exercise?
I don't think exercise helps cholesterol that much. One has to change the diet and it may not be enough if there is a genetic predisposition to high cholesterol and high triglycerides. Too much processed and quick food.

Just eat fruit/veggies in fresh form. Lean grilled meat. Salads. Limit baked goods/sugar/fruit juice if your triglycerides are high and fats if your cholesterol is high. Then again, some people suggest oatmeal. Ick. No can do. I don't want to eat cheerios for breakfast either. Boring.

Level 2

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

Judged:

Wintergirl wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think exercise helps cholesterol that much. One has to change the diet and it may not be enough if there is a genetic predisposition to high cholesterol and high triglycerides. Too much processed and quick food.
Just eat fruit/veggies in fresh form. Lean grilled meat. Salads. Limit baked goods/sugar/fruit juice if your triglycerides are high and fats if your cholesterol is high. Then again, some people suggest oatmeal. Ick. No can do. I don't want to eat cheerios for breakfast either. Boring.
100 bucks says you just eat all the time, doesn't matter what.
Plotts

East Setauket, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

hogdaddy wrote:
looks like the phar. industry has had enough of companies advertising their product--in conjuction with a diet and exercise--can improve peoples health..WITHOUT PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION....guess it is clear that the FDA is on the drug makers side...
Our insurance driven healthcare system would rather Americans be provided a statin drug for your daily intake.........Our physicians are nothing less than tools of the insurance carrier beholden to drug companies to provide a "pill" for all that ails..what is the insurance code for.......good old fashion common sense health care advice advice?
Wintergirl

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

I'd rather have cholesterol that is a few points over the limit than take dangerous statins....but like I said, when I changed my diet, the numbers lined up in all areas without taking any drugs. Do a mile on the treadmill and a mile on the exercise bike or some equivalent activity. I don't know why some can't believe it.

They'd rather take insulin/oral meds, a pill for their high cholesterol, another for blood pressure, and more pills for whatever else ails them. Nurses are the worst offenders. I have known quite a few who abused or overused the pharmacy.

Level 7

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Judged:

Wintergirl wrote:
I'd rather have cholesterol that is a few points over the limit than take dangerous statins....but like I said, when I changed my diet, the numbers lined up in all areas without taking any drugs. Do a mile on the treadmill and a mile on the exercise bike or some equivalent activity. I don't know why some can't believe it.
They'd rather take insulin/oral meds, a pill for their high cholesterol, another for blood pressure, and more pills for whatever else ails them. Nurses are the worst offenders. I have known quite a few who abused or overused the pharmacy.
The treadmill hasn't been made that will hold you, fatgirl. Hell, your BED is reinforced to keep it from collapsing under your nearly 1000 lbs (your keeper says he doesn't really know what you weigh these days......can't get you through the door to go to the truck scale...). Why don't you stop lying, lardo??? No one cares about you, and I mean NO ONE. I hear your family helps to pay for your keeper so they don't have to even see you. You spend all day and all night posting stupid lies and thinking that people believe you. Have another frozen pizza, fatgirl.

Level 2

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Tired of Silly wrote:
<quoted text>
The treadmill hasn't been made that will hold you, fatgirl. Hell, your BED is reinforced to keep it from collapsing under your nearly 1000 lbs (your keeper says he doesn't really know what you weigh these days......can't get you through the door to go to the truck scale...). Why don't you stop lying, lardo??? No one cares about you, and I mean NO ONE. I hear your family helps to pay for your keeper so they don't have to even see you. You spend all day and all night posting stupid lies and thinking that people believe you. Have another frozen pizza, fatgirl.

Level 7

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2013

Morning-woody wrote:
<quoted text>
1000 Bucks says you're an inbred retard and your mama is also your sister. Are you Shamu the TexasTwatwaffle's sister?
Everything is Bigger

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Tired of Silly wrote:
<quoted text>
You could not do 2 miles on a treadmill if your life depended on it. All you do is go to the Y and walk in the lanes or float. Big deal.
An apple a day

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

The Pharmaceutical companies work with the medical profession to try and convince people that if your cholesterol and triglycerides go beyond a certain point, you need to be on a prescription drug for it. How do we really know what is considered high and what if some of it is bunk to sell prescription meds? I am in the 300 range and have been off and on, and now off again with prescription drugs for high cholesterol. Why am I willing to play Russian roulette with my health? Well, I use to be on Lipitor, and had excruciatingly bad muscle pain and cramping, in addition to other aide effects. Then I was put on Niacin meds and I got so sick, I could no longer take them. The last one was the worst - Crestor. After just a few days, I began to have severe stomach cramping and tasted and saw a small amount of blood in my mouth. My doctor tried to tell me it was in my head. Yeah right. No one can make that up. I told him that is the last drug for me. Then he says we can work something out. That there are OTC meds I can take that should help. WTF. Then why put me on a toxic drug that could have poisoned my liver, pancreas or god knows what else could have occurred. I do believe that excercise and diet can go a long way in keeping us healthy. Another problem is your thyroid. I have a low functioning thyroid (Hypothyroidism) so my cholesterol and bp seem to occasionally be going up and down. Maybe he's not giving me the right strength of Synthroid for my condition. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid about doctors, but my doctor in particular, loves to prescribe lots of meds. I need to seek out a doctor who specializes in the Thyroid. Maybe then, everything else in my body will stabilize and I won't need all that other crap.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 34 of34
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

21 Users are viewing the Orlando Forum right now

Search the Orlando Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min TheIndependentMajority 1,036,095
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 12 min denier 43,116
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 14 min Lon Spector 478,415
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 1 hr Wiz L 17,346
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 1 hr zazz 95,922
The alphabet (Jun '06) 7 hr Princess Hey 897
New Game ***Last Word + 2 (Oct '11) 7 hr Princess Hey 11,855
•••
•••
•••
•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
•••
•••