Fear of rival gangs detours motorcycle festival

Thousands of motorcycle riders roared into Grayslake on Sunday for a huge rally and festival at the Lake County Fairgrounds, only to find their party had been brought to a screeching halt by officials worried ... Full Story
mrred

United States

#22 May 5, 2008
The Hells Lovers are a black motorcycle club. I witnessed problems between the Outlaws and them over 10 years ago at a Fukarwe (sp) Tribe MC party. Even so if anything were to happen it would have been an isolated beating, not shoot em up stuff. Certanly not enough to shut down this event. I live in Nashville now and last year an illegal immigration rally was allowed to proceed without interference, but a legally permitted biker protest by Rolling Thunder Veterans MC, at the Capitol around the corner, organized to save Sgt. Yorks home was monitored by over 40 armed police and broken up. Profilling motorcyclists is easy for police and makes feel good news. Easier than taking care of the real gangs that are selling drugs and murdering people daily.
Jim

Chicago, IL

#23 May 5, 2008
I'm glad they cancelled this. Bikers are pain in the butts. Most bikers have criminal backrounds and their cycles are loud and disrupt society.
Jim V

Downers Grove, IL

#24 May 5, 2008
Gee what about the constitutional right of assembly?
Once more petty government officials stomp on the constitution in the name of public safety.
None

Crystal Lake, IL

#25 May 5, 2008
They are clubs not gangs.
ihldld

Vernon Hills, IL

#28 May 5, 2008
Jim wrote:
I'm glad they cancelled this. Bikers are pain in the butts. Most bikers have criminal backrounds and their cycles are loud and disrupt society.
Jim-you are a complete idiot. None of the "bikers" I know have criminal backgrounds, including my husband who is a police officer. People like you disrupt society with your ignorance.
ilphil

Waukegan, IL

#29 May 5, 2008
For years many bikers (note I said many, not all) have loved to cultivate the tough guy image and enjoyed the fact that large numbers of them present an intimidating presence.
In a society where you can get arrested for pointing a finger at someone, it's easy to see how a small town mayor can get scared at the prospect of a large biker gathering.
Like it or not, true or not the biker stereotype isn't the greatest.

Maybe it's not fair, but sometimes you reap what you sow.
Chi-town me

United States

#31 May 5, 2008
Talk about collective punishment! As much of a d-i-r-t-b-a-g group the Outlaws are, why hold an entire festival responsible?? Why not shut down every festival because I garuntee there's just as large a percentage of criminals at any one. Most bikers that I know (I don't ride) are just working class Joes that treat you with respect assuming you do the same.
mrred

United States

#32 May 5, 2008
Jim is getting his morning jollies using intimidation this morning. He knows that nobody can get to him and is safely behind his keyboard. He is ignorant about the subject. Ignore Jim and he will get bored and turn on his playstation for the rest of the day.
Chi-town me

United States

#34 May 5, 2008
Jim wrote:
Bikers are thugs. They have a long history of violence. Bikes should be outlawed! Bikers are Doctors and Lawyers? That is a laugh! I didn't realize you could become a Doctor or Lawyer with an IQ of 25.
Oh please. Out of the bikers I've met in my life, only a few I can say were genuine lowlifes. I think people just get scared of loud engines and a lot of leather. The real problem is that people don't know how to differentiate between the biker gang member and the regular guy since they're both usually clad in black leather and riding the mandatory Harley.
biker girl

South Bend, IN

#35 May 5, 2008
I personally know alot of bikers and am currently a member of abate of indiana. it is ridiculous to cancel an event because every thinks bikers are trouble. the group of bikers i know are the most kindest people i know. they do alot for charity, if you dont know us dont talk ill of us!!
biker girl

South Bend, IN

#36 May 5, 2008
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
mrred, Your 5 minutes at the computer is up. Please report back to your cell!
How can u judge a biker. You are not god and and god is our maker he is the only one who can judge us.
Master Bader

Palos Hills, IL

#37 May 5, 2008
Poor "posers",nowhere to wear their shiney leather garb and designer HD attire.Not to mention the high shoulder tattoo that gets hidden at work!Guess you'll have to wait for the next "Hog Roast" to show off how much money you spent on your Holloween costumes!
Canoe

Northbrook, IL

#42 May 5, 2008
Mark Twain: "First, God created the idiot. That was for practice. Then he created the School Board."

Substitute law enforcement for school board and you've got it right.

Where's Barney Fife when you need him.

What a bunch of bottom-feeders in law enforcement!
Steph

United States

#43 May 5, 2008
I'm skeptical that a crowd of 35,000 was expected. I live about 2 minutes from the Lake County fairgrounds and although I saw a lot of bikers in the area yesterday there was nowhere near an amount that would be 35,000.

I am sure Austin's and Jessie Oaks (in Gages Lake) loved all the business. It is possible there was a specific threat and we are not going to hear all the details but it does seem like pulling the permit might have been a tad overreacting. I am also confused as I went by the fairgrounds yesterday and saw a number of vintage and antique cars at the grounds, it appeared some kind of car show was going on. So I am confused as to how they could have had that AND been expecting 35,000 bikers on the same day.
West Side Tommy

Lafayette, IN

#46 May 5, 2008
Bikers deliberately cultivate an image as being dangerous, aggressive, perverse and anti-social then whine when they're treated as being dangerous, aggressive, perverse and anti-social.
mrred

United States

#47 May 5, 2008
No sense arguing with masterblaster Jim. He doesn't argue or debate. He is the kind of guy that throws the first punch and then hides while his friends take the beating. He knows nothing about the forum subject but Mommy bought him a computer so he is having a little fun this morning. Smile a little wider putz.
Steph

United States

#49 May 5, 2008
CORE wrote:
Sounds like the Fairgrounds should get de-annexed from the village.
Actually the fairgrounds are being moved to North Libertyville/Grayslake. Basically in the middle of a former cornfield. Then they can make way for the nice upscale shopping center on the former fairgrounds. Should work out well for all involved. Lake County Sheriff will probably be responsible for the fairgrounds moving forward, the new area I think is unincorporated.
bob n

Memphis, TN

#50 May 5, 2008
Jager shots and bikes ? good thinking there!
RTB

Chicago, IL

#51 May 5, 2008
mrred wrote:
No sense arguing with masterblaster Jim. He doesn't argue or debate. He is the kind of guy that throws the first punch and then hides while his friends take the beating. He knows nothing about the forum subject but Mommy bought him a computer so he is having a little fun this morning. Smile a little wider putz.
Couldn't agree with you more. Jim is stuck in his cubicle in Schaumburg balancing T accounts. He took a brief 20 minute break to sip his stale office coffee and throw a couple shots out at bikers. Back to work Jim.
Angelique

Newport News, VA

#52 May 5, 2008
Sounds like discrimination to me!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min scirocco 1,190,014
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 17 min Ponderings 96,876
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 18 min Net Workit 17,356
Change one letter game (Sep '11) 19 min Net Workit 2,639
two words (Jul '10) 53 min Princess Hey 27,078
One Word (Jul '10) 56 min Princess Hey 2,030
Prepare for Another Battle in The War on Culture 59 min RuffnReddy 4
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 2 hr T-REX 491,973
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 2 hr Shaniquah 71,188
Orlando Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE