Level 6

Since: Aug 10

Oklahoma City, OK

#14526 Jun 27, 2013
Spooky Mulder wrote:
<quoted text>
My dad had dementia for a number of years. He became extremely confused when he was hospitalized. Since the hospital didn't have sitters at night, my poor mom would have to sit with him all night. Then he'd call her so many times during the day, that she never got any rest. He fell frequently and she'd have to call fire rescue to get him up. The man was over six feet and dead weight. My mom and I are only 5'3", so even with both of us, it was difficult. The last days, it was a nightmare. My daughter and I took turns going over there and helping her. When he started going back into CHF, my husband said there was not a lot he could do for him. He said we could take him back to the hospital and he'd order some diuretics for him but he told both of us that it would only delay his death for a very short time. My. Dad was lucid enough to know he was dying and he kept screaming "I don't want to die". I felt very guilty just listening, knowing that there was nothing I could do.
Thank you for sharing with me. I just left him and tonight he was
so much like the old self it breaks my heart. But ten mimutes later
he can turn on me and it is not safe to be caught alone.
The one reason I am talking about this is to make some of you aware that you need to make plans and check out your affairs now.
Not after something happens. It can be very hard trying to deal
with the person and all the things you have to do.Things like guardianship or poa can be done when both people can discus it.
Thanks to all. Your words help.

Level 6

Oklahoma City, OK

#14527 Jun 27, 2013
The Real Missy wrote:
<quoted text>
Mousie, I am sorry you are going through this..
Thanks I know you are...hug's....

Level 2

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#14529 Jun 27, 2013
Spooky Mulder wrote:
I wouldn't wish this on anyone.
Not even Brad.

Level 9

Since: Sep 11

Weeki Wachee, Florida

#14530 Jun 27, 2013
Another Spooky sock wrote:
<quoted text>
Not even Brad.
No, Brad, not even you.

“FOOTBALL”

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

A plan in motion

#14531 Jun 27, 2013
Mousie I'm so sorry you and Mr. Mousie are going thru this, it's bad enough emotionally but even more of a nightmare with all the red tape and paperwork that goes along with it.

I saw Spooky's post and it seems like part of our situations were similar. We put off putting my Dad in a nursing home for as long as possible which in the long run was probably a big mistake. Once he went into the first and second nursing home he became combative and very aggressive. To make a long story short the first one he was thrown out of in about 3 days and he lasted a week in the second one. From the second one they put in the hospital until we could find a nursing home that would accept him. By that time he was considered having behavioral problems and none of the local nursing homes would accept him. He ended up in the hospital for a month. They wanted to move him but couldn't until we found a "safe environment" for him. We had to meet with the legal department of the hospital and they kept him there until we found a new nursing home but the deal was we had to pay for around the clock private aides( a big part of that was because we refused to have him restrained). The only nursing home that was willing to accept him was one that was over an hour away. After about 5 years when Dad was no longer considered a behavior problem we were able to move him close to home.

I hope and pray things work out with Mr Mousie and this new nursing home.
I Be Mousie wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Liz he is close now. First one was over hr away.
They only had the one bed left in the new one so we lucked out there.I just pray that he behaves as I have no ideal where he
can go if he does not.
Just so much paper work,something different every day.
Just found out today that I have to get his driver lic. revoked
and get his name off my car title and get his car in my name
only.Cannot drop his car ins. until this is done.
I have temp guardianship but now have to go back to court
on the 16th and they want Me to bring him......excuse me but
he is a flight risk also a BIG risk to me.
So now I am off to Motor Vechical...catch you later.

“FOOTBALL”

Level 8

A plan in motion

#14532 Jun 27, 2013
Screw the ass making the judge-it's. They're so not worth your time ( or anyone elses's)
I Be Mousie wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry if my post bugged you Mr. or Mrs. Judgeit.
If you don't like it don't read it. Is that simple enough for you???
Hope you never have to go thru this..Have a nice day.

“FOOTBALL”

Level 8

A plan in motion

#14533 Jun 27, 2013
I didn't ask my nephew but the boy's pretty much all drink those energy drinks, but what I think is even worse for them is that powdered "protein" they take.
rubygoober wrote:
Did this young man drink energy drinks?
I think that would be a legitimate inquiry~~
I'm sure his parent's want any answer as to
why this went undetected.

“FOOTBALL”

Level 8

A plan in motion

#14534 Jun 27, 2013
In simple terms Dress Syndrome is a severe allergic reaction to medication. I don't think it's all that common since my sister was just in the hospital for over a month with it and the doctor's weren't even too sure exactly how to treat it. Her doctor changed one of her medications and everything seemed fine. A few weeks later she noticed a rash on her legs. The rash spread, she ended up with welts and her entire body was bloated. I never saw anything like it before. Even after stopping the medication more and more new problems kept cropping up. Her lungs became inflamed, which made it difficult to breath, she ended up having a couple seizures, she was constantly shaking because she was cold, even with numerous blankets and then she started becoming confused about her surroundings and what was going on ( who wouldn't at that point).

The doctor's thought this would take maybe 6-8 weeks to clear up. Most of it has cleared but not all and it's been more like 10 weeks. So frustrating.
Spooky Mulder wrote:
<quoted text>
Never heard of Dress Syndrome. What is it?
If he actually had enlargement of the left ventricle from hupertension, it wouldn't be obvious on physical exam. An EKG or Echocardiogram would show evidence of the enlargement. But, if his BP was high, that should have been treated. Cardiomyopathy can also cause an enlarged heart but doesn't cause symptoms in the early stages but would have been evident in the autopsy. So would any valve problems. I thought that it may have been hypertension because there was no mention of the other two.

Level 9

Weeki Wachee, Florida

#14535 Jun 27, 2013
LizW wrote:
In simple terms Dress Syndrome is a severe allergic reaction to medication. I don't think it's all that common since my sister was just in the hospital for over a month with it and the doctor's weren't even too sure exactly how to treat it. Her doctor changed one of her medications and everything seemed fine. A few weeks later she noticed a rash on her legs. The rash spread, she ended up with welts and her entire body was bloated. I never saw anything like it before. Even after stopping the medication more and more new problems kept cropping up. Her lungs became inflamed, which made it difficult to breath, she ended up having a couple seizures, she was constantly shaking because she was cold, even with numerous blankets and then she started becoming confused about her surroundings and what was going on ( who wouldn't at that point).
The doctor's thought this would take maybe 6-8 weeks to clear up. Most of it has cleared but not all and it's been more like 10 weeks. So frustrating. <quoted text>
Dang!!! That sounds horrible. Your poor sister.

Nursing homes just suck all the money they can get out of a person, then they want you to sell your house so they can get more. My mom and I could still take care of my dad. We didn't have to put him in a nursing home. But he was never aggressive or violent. If he had, we would have done the same thing thatnyou did.

Level 6

Oklahoma City, OK

#14536 Jun 27, 2013
LizW wrote:
Mousie I'm so sorry you and Mr. Mousie are going thru this, it's bad enough emotionally but even more of a nightmare with all the red tape and paperwork that goes along with it.
I saw Spooky's post and it seems like part of our situations were similar. We put off putting my Dad in a nursing home for as long as possible which in the long run was probably a big mistake. Once he went into the first and second nursing home he became combative and very aggressive. To make a long story short the first one he was thrown out of in about 3 days and he lasted a week in the second one. From the second one they put in the hospital until we could find a nursing home that would accept him. By that time he was considered having behavioral problems and none of the local nursing homes would accept him. He ended up in the hospital for a month. They wanted to move him but couldn't until we found a "safe environment" for him. We had to meet with the legal department of the hospital and they kept him there until we found a new nursing home but the deal was we had to pay for around the clock private aides( a big part of that was because we refused to have him restrained). The only nursing home that was willing to accept him was one that was over an hour away. After about 5 years when Dad was no longer considered a behavior problem we were able to move him close to home.
I hope and pray things work out with Mr Mousie and this new nursing home. <quoted text>
Thanks Liz...I knew you had been thru this but did not want to
post about it until you did.
This sounds like what I am going thru. It is a shame that more homes do not have a ward with security instead of just putting all into same location.
I know it has to do with paients rights but it makes it hard to
find a place that will take them.
And to put them in a hospital does not keep them from wandering unless they are sedated.The bad thing is that the body is healthy
just the mind is sick.

Level 9

Weeki Wachee, Florida

#14537 Jun 27, 2013
I Be Mousie wrote:
<quoted text>
This sounds like what I am going thru. It is a shame that more homes do not have a ward with security instead of just putting all into same location.
And to put them in a hospital does not keep them from wandering unless they are sedated.The bad thing is that the body is healthy
just the mind is sick.
I applied and interviewd at a mental health facility. One ward was locked down. In there, they had another hall with about ten beds. This area had a 4 1/2 foot high gated in area for the alzheimer papients who have agression and become violent. The rest of the ward had the everyday biplpolars, depressives and schizoprenics

Level 2

Location hidden

#14538 Jun 27, 2013
You got all the nuts down.

Level 2

Location hidden

#14539 Jun 27, 2013
Spooky Mulder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Brad, not even you.
This is a sensitive subject, no joking from me, been there done that.

“FOOTBALL”

Level 8

A plan in motion

#14541 Jun 28, 2013
Good Morning All

Does anyone else think that this Paula Deen fiasco has gotten out of control?

Damn. Even Rev Al seems to think what happened 20 years ago is BS.

“FOOTBALL”

Level 8

A plan in motion

#14542 Jun 28, 2013
Where my Dad ended up was strictly for people with behavioral issues. Oh course after a few weeks of being there they were so drugged out of their mind that they no longer had behavior issues ( or could walk for that matter).
The rooms were all private but two people would share a bathroom and living area. My Dad's roommate was only my age. I wanted to say he was in a bad accident with trauma to the head but I can't remember for sure. He was in a wheelchair but for the most part you could carry on a conversation with him and he seemed perfectly fine. I felt so bad for him, can you even imagine being so young and stuck in a place like that.
Then across the hall was a woman who was about 50. She was waitressing and fell, she also sustained some type of head trauma. It seemed like every time we saw her she was crying, she never had any visitors so my sister and I would bring her up little things like shower gels, lotion, make-up, puzzle books, etc. One day we went up to visit dad and they told us Sharon suddenly passed away. I really hated that place, once Dad was settled down ( i.e. couldn't walk or talk) and we could move him closer to home. The home we found was much nicer. They pretty much always had the patients ALL in the dayroom with some type of activity planned. The nurses and aides all seemed very caring as well.
I Be Mousie wrote:
<quoted text>
just the mind is sick.

“FOOTBALL”

Level 8

A plan in motion

#14543 Jun 28, 2013
Yeah Dress Syndrome sucks, and what's worse is most doctor's aren't even sure how to treat it. The rash part was crazy. She would go from welts covering her body to her skin peeling off and looking like baby skin, and then a couple days later it would be like leather. It makes you so bloated that your skin actually starts to crack unless you sit still.

With my Dad the aggressiveness didn't start until he first went into the nursing home. He was always such a sweet, mellow man. My Mom had aides come in during the day but that didn't work out too well, plus he was up all night roaming around the house. As soon as we put Dad in the nursing home he was like a different person. He couldn't adjust to being there and was more or less just lashing out at all the workers.
Spooky Mulder wrote:
<quoted text>
Dang!!! That sounds horrible. Your poor sister.
Nursing homes just suck all the money they can get out of a person, then they want you to sell your house so they can get more. My mom and I could still take care of my dad. We didn't have to put him in a nursing home. But he was never aggressive or violent. If he had, we would have done the same thing thatnyou did.

Level 8

Since: Mar 12

Sugar Land, TX

#14544 Jun 28, 2013
I Be Mousie wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for sharing with me. I just left him and tonight he was
so much like the old self it breaks my heart. But ten mimutes later
he can turn on me and it is not safe to be caught alone.
The one reason I am talking about this is to make some of you aware that you need to make plans and check out your affairs now.
Not after something happens. It can be very hard trying to deal
with the person and all the things you have to do.Things like guardianship or poa can be done when both people can discus it.
Thanks to all. Your words help.
Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
<3

“That's all folks...”

Since: Jan 12

Paradise North Georgia

#14545 Jun 28, 2013
Good morning~~
I appreciate everyone talking honest and open about this dreadful disease that could strike
any of us or a family member at random.

Twenty years ago I wouldn't have given Alz much
thought. Today I'm very aware of it.

Like Mousie said, I don't dislike anyone so much
as to wish this tragic condition on them or a
loved one.

Level 6

Oklahoma City, OK

#14546 Jun 28, 2013
rubygoober wrote:
Good morning~~
I appreciate everyone talking honest and open about this dreadful disease that could strike
any of us or a family member at random.
Twenty years ago I wouldn't have given Alz much
thought. Today I'm very aware of it.
Like Mousie said, I don't dislike anyone so much
as to wish this tragic condition on them or a
loved one.
GM all...Ruby you are right 20 yrs ago I never gave a thought
to Alz.. Cancer was and still is the one that I hate. It took my
whole family expect my kids and brother in a 4 yr period.
I am amazed that we can put a man on the moon but cannot find
a way to stop alz or cancer.
And if you know some one who works in a nursing home at least 98% of them are kind special people.
I am going to put this nursing home up for a Christmas project in
my neighborhood.Out of the 62 people in the home at least 90% have no vistors.

Level 6

Oklahoma City, OK

#14547 Jun 28, 2013
JaneDear wrote:
<quoted text>
Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
<3
Thank's dear Jane..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 12 min Fair Game 46,805
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 2 hr Murphey_Law 487,679
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 hr Yeah 1,110,509
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 6 hr zazz 96,444
2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) 9 hr feliciano 2,976
FL August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) 10 hr The Poet 2,508
Casey Anthony maintains baby sitter was not fab... (Feb '14) 13 hr Sacre bleu 293
•••
•••
Orlando Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE