Level 7

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#14141 May 31, 2013
Mousie, hope your doing okay with the storms and Toronados that are around Ok City.

Level 7

Location hidden

#14142 May 31, 2013
rubygoober wrote:
<quoted text>
I grew some luffa sponges up here a few years back and some
swore I didn't grow them here but bought them.
I GREW THEM!!!
They were just jealous when I won first place~
I have never heard of luffa sponges, is it something you eat?

Level 7

Location hidden

#14143 May 31, 2013
Okay, my husband just informed me that I have about a dozen loofa sponges in the bathroom. Lmao!

Level 9

Since: Sep 11

Weeki Wachee, Florida

#14144 May 31, 2013
The Real Missy wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never heard of luffa sponges, is it something you eat?
No, it is like a squash but when it's dried, it make a good sponge to wash with. I had a neighbor that grew them too. He had more than he knew what to do with.

Level 7

Location hidden

#14145 May 31, 2013
Spooky Mulder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it is like a squash but when it's dried, it make a good sponge to wash with. I had a neighbor that grew them too. He had more than he knew what to do with.
Yea, my husband told me what they were when I asked him if he ever heard of it. He said you have a big basket of them in the bathroom, mine all came from target, I never grew them.

“FOOTBALL”

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

A plan in motion

#14146 Jun 1, 2013
Good Morning All

Now who here had the nerve to mention green tomatoes? You know darn well what a controversial subject that turns into being.

Ruby have you heard from Mousie or seen her posting?

“FOOTBALL”

Level 8

A plan in motion

#14147 Jun 1, 2013
LOL..........they really are squash. I never knew.

http://wanderingchopsticks.blogspot.com/2008/...
The Real Missy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, my husband told me what they were when I asked him if he ever heard of it. He said you have a big basket of them in the bathroom, mine all came from target, I never grew them.

“FOOTBALL”

Level 8

A plan in motion

#14148 Jun 1, 2013
LOL my kids would pick me dandelions too.

When you eat the dandelions you don't eat the flower part, or at least I never heard of eating the flower.
The Real Missy wrote:
<quoted text>
Well a farm would more likely have pee on the dandelions then a yard.. I don't think they are anything I would try.. When we were in Michigan on the farm my Grandaughter picked me a big bouquet of them..I put them in a vase of water because she was so proud about picking me those flowers.

“FOOTBALL”

Level 8

A plan in motion

#14149 Jun 1, 2013
We grew up eating all kinds of weird greens, including oxtails.
Did your Grandma have another name for the dandelions? I can't spell it properly( my family could have just made up the word) but we always called them Cha-gaud-ia.
Spooky Mulder wrote:
<quoted text>
My grandma used to pick them and cook them like greens. We had a huge garden. Used to have to put up about 60 quarts of tomatoes every year. I didn't care for other canned veggies. I like them fresh. Still put in a garden every year.

Level 9

Weeki Wachee, Florida

#14150 Jun 1, 2013
LizW wrote:
We grew up eating all kinds of weird greens, including oxtails.
Did your Grandma have another name for the dandelions? I can't spell it properly( my family could have just made up the word) but we always called them Cha-gaud-ia. <quoted text>
She just called them "greens". She had eight kids during the Depression. I think people learn to eat things that they never thought they would before. Fortunately, we had a lot of relatives that were farmers, so the kids got shipped off to live on farms. Of course, they had to help work the farm.

Level 7

Location hidden

#14151 Jun 1, 2013
LizW wrote:
LOL my kids would pick me dandelions too.
When you eat the dandelions you don't eat the flower part, or at least I never heard of eating the flower.<quoted text>
I almost have my husband talked in to trying the dandelions..he is all about health and I Found a article about the health benefits of them.

“That's all folks...”

Since: Jan 12

Paradise North Georgia

#14152 Jun 1, 2013
Good morning everyone~~
I've heard luffa can be eaten, since they're in the
squash catagory.
Must be very young when using them in cooking.

When left to dry for bathing sponges~~
They develop a sound like a rain stick when
you shake them.

Level 7

Location hidden

#14153 Jun 1, 2013
rubygoober wrote:
Good morning everyone~~
I've heard luffa can be eaten, since they're in the
squash catagory.
Must be very young when using them in cooking.
When left to dry for bathing sponges~~
They develop a sound like a rain stick when
you shake them.
Good morning, that would be something fun to try and grow. Maybe I will try planting some when we move to the country in Michigan. What did you do with the ones you grew? Did you make bath sponges out of them?

“That's all folks...”

Paradise North Georgia

#14154 Jun 1, 2013
The Real Missy wrote:
<quoted text>
Good morning, that would be something fun to try and grow. Maybe I will try planting some when we move to the country in Michigan. What did you do with the ones you grew? Did you make bath sponges out of them?
Missy~~
There's no harm in trying.
Back when I wasn't having a problem with my back, etc.
I used to try something different every season.
One year I grew some amazing, Moon Flowers.
We have a Farmers Bulletin here in Georgia and that's
where I find some interesting seeds.

I still have a few that are dried and intact.
Kids think they're neat, especially with the seeds making
"music" when they shake them.

“FOOTBALL”

Level 8

A plan in motion

#14155 Jun 1, 2013
Has anyone heard from Mousie yet?

“FOOTBALL”

Level 8

A plan in motion

#14156 Jun 1, 2013
That link wouldn't work for me. Did it mention that the dandelions were a good source of iron?

If your husband likes salads I bet he'd like the dandelions.
The Real Missy wrote:
<quoted text>
I almost have my husband talked in to trying the dandelions..he is all about health and I Found a article about the health benefits of them.

“FOOTBALL”

Level 8

A plan in motion

#14157 Jun 1, 2013
Oh shiit..........Noah;s been after me all day to sign him up for a road test. My only saving grace is that I'm sure he'd fail unless the person giving the test is blind AND a dingwing.

“FOOTBALL”

Level 8

A plan in motion

#14158 Jun 1, 2013
Back then I'm sure many family's ate whatever was cheap or readily available to them. Back during the days of slavery many of the slaves ate greens and just whatever their owners thought of as useless scraps of meat like ribs and wings. Look how popular all that food is now.
Spooky Mulder wrote:
<quoted text>
She just called them "greens". She had eight kids during the Depression. I think people learn to eat things that they never thought they would before. Fortunately, we had a lot of relatives that were farmers, so the kids got shipped off to live on farms. Of course, they had to help work the farm.

“That's all folks...”

Paradise North Georgia

#14159 Jun 1, 2013
LizW wrote:
Has anyone heard from Mousie yet?
I don't think Mousie has posted for the past few days.
I think everyone in her neck of the woods are very nervous
about those killer storms that don't seem to be letting up.

I'm sure she's safe and will check in as soon as she can.
Mousie knows we worry about her and Shuaw, too.

Level 9

Weeki Wachee, Florida

#14160 Jun 1, 2013
It's finally raining here. Of course, it started right after I had spent an hour watering the container gardens. Just like an Indian raindance. The poor dogs are going stir crazy.
How's everybody doing this fine weekend?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min Tony Rome 1,109,987
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 1 hr marce-encore 487,425
Alphabet Game (Apr '12) 1 hr Princess Hey 9,065
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 1 hr Princess Hey 17,081
Jodi Arias: Does the state have the goods to co... (Mar '13) 2 hr HELL ON EARTH 25,848
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr ritedownthemiddle 46,645
15 homeless single moms in Osceola get housing ... (Dec '08) 7 hr fucknow 21
•••
•••
•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Orlando News, Events & Info