Level 8

Since: Mar 12

Moultrie, GA

#14106 May 30, 2013
LizW wrote:
Good Morning All
I have the perfect side dish for chitlins and pecan pie. Did anyone ever have fried dandelions or dandelion salad. I'm serious, I know it sounds gross but we love it.
Never had it.
I've heard of dandelion wine...

How do you cook a dandelion? And do you make a dip to go with that?

Level 8

Moultrie, GA

#14107 May 30, 2013
Maverick 808 wrote:
<quoted text>Long story short. Jealousy and lying started coming to the surface and then PI started getting tossed all over Topix and that was the end of that.
That makes me very sad...
:-(

I don't understand the jealousy.
Jealousy over what?

Level 8

Moultrie, GA

#14108 May 30, 2013
We have us a pot luck going on here.

Today I'm cooking elk....

“That's all folks...”

Since: Jan 12

Paradise North Georgia

#14109 May 30, 2013
JaneDear wrote:
<quoted text>
Never had it.
I've heard of dandelion wine...
How do you cook a dandelion? And do you make a dip to go with that?
Jane~~
You might know it as, poke salad...

Level 7

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#14110 May 30, 2013
rubygoober wrote:
<quoted text>
Jane~~
Isn't there something called poke that some people fry?

Level 8

Moultrie, GA

#14111 May 30, 2013
rubygoober wrote:
<quoted text>
Jane~~
My grandmother would make poke salad.

I'm craving fried okra now.
She could make the best okra...

“That's all folks...”

Since: Jan 12

Paradise North Georgia

#14112 May 30, 2013
The Real Missy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and almost always it's fried in bacon drippings.
The best time to pick poke is early spring when it is
young, sweet and tender.
Some of the best grows in and along side ditches.
If it matures it is tough and bitter.

Level 7

Location hidden

#14113 May 30, 2013
rubygoober wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and almost always it's fried in bacon drippings.
The best time to pick poke is early spring when it is
young, sweet and tender.
Some of the best grows in and along side ditches.
If it matures it is tough and bitter.
I remember my Grandmother making something like that, but don't remember what it taste like.

Level 8

Moultrie, GA

#14115 May 30, 2013
GloomyRDarwin wrote:
<quoted text>
are you serving it with a wild blueberry au jus, on a bed of creamy polenta and wild asparagus with herb vinaigrette? May I suggest the lovely Napa Cellars merlot to accompany? Looooovvvvve chicks that like food and don't pretend not to. Women that cook AND EAT are the best.
Sooo you like the big girls? Nothing wrong with that.

LOL No.
It's elk hamburger.

Thanks for the suggestion -
I'm cooking for kids.
Today is the last day of school and my kids don't drink...
It's the last day of school so I'LL probably want to start drinking more though.

“Can you see me now?”

Level 8

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#14117 May 30, 2013
JaneDear wrote:
<quoted text>
That makes me very sad...
:-(
I don't understand the jealousy.
Jealousy over what?
Relationships over men and women. The old "if I can't have him or her then no one can have him or her" runs rampant on Topix. It's to the point where you can't have a decent conversation someplace without some jealous person jumping onto the thread and causing havoc.

“Can you see me now?”

Level 8

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#14118 May 30, 2013
The Real Missy wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that seared tuna (where it is cooked on the outside but raw on the inside) on a bed of lettuce?

Level 7

Location hidden

#14119 May 30, 2013
Maverick 808 wrote:
<quoted text>Is that seared tuna (where it is cooked on the outside but raw on the inside) on a bed of lettuce?
I think it's a plant that people chop up and fry in bacon grease. My grandmother use to make something like that, but I have no clue what it taste like. I am not big on frying because my husband is a health fanatic. I am just a little, but I do eat unhealthy once in a while.

“Mourning the loss of Rambler”

Level 1

Since: Feb 13

Columbus, OH

#14120 May 30, 2013
GloomyRDarwin wrote:
<quoted text>
are you serving it with a wild blueberry au jus, on a bed of creamy polenta and wild asparagus with herb vinaigrette? May I suggest the lovely Napa Cellars merlot to accompany? Looooovvvvve chicks that like food and don't pretend not to. Women that cook AND EAT are the best.
You are a woman that loves to cook and eat. Me too!

“Mourning the loss of Rambler”

Level 1

Since: Feb 13

Columbus, OH

#14121 May 30, 2013
The Real Missy wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's a plant that people chop up and fry in bacon grease. My grandmother use to make something like that, but I have no clue what it taste like. I am not big on frying because my husband is a health fanatic. I am just a little, but I do eat unhealthy once in a while.
I gave you a heart for the cute post.
Snickers

Dallas, TX

#14122 May 30, 2013
Tim Hortons WI-FI wrote:
<quoted text>
I gave you a heart for the cute post.
How Special,LOL!!
Everyone Take Care.....:)
Snickers

Dallas, TX

#14123 May 30, 2013
Maverick 808 wrote:
<quoted text>Relationships over men and women. The old "if I can't have him or her then no one can have him or her" runs rampant on Topix. It's to the point where you can't have a decent conversation someplace without some jealous person jumping onto the thread and causing havoc.
Really now,how silly you are..........lol...

Level 7

Location hidden

#14124 May 30, 2013
So funny, snicker makes a appearance and everyone's judge it's get changed to bad and he gives himself a stack of good ones.. Lmao! How many log ins do you have to stack all those judge it's??

“FOOTBALL”

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#14125 May 31, 2013
Good Morning All

Missy how dare you put weed killer on the dandelions. You don't know what you're missing!

Now we don't eat dandelion's from the yard. You dig them up from a farm or a field. My Mom said before it's because animals haven't peed on them before if they came from a farm. Not sure how true that is or how anyone would know if they've been pissed on before of not. FRIGS!

You dig them up, keeping the stem in tact. Wash them and then either fry them in oil and garlic or make a salad adding onions, tomatoes and Italian dressing.

You know how spinach sometimes leaves that iron taste in your mouth afterwards, well so do the dandelions. Also they're on the tuff side so you need good teeth to eat those suckers.
Oh and floss afterwards. Nothing is worse than having a weed stuck between your teeth.

“FOOTBALL”

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#14126 May 31, 2013
LOL..........Love it!
Stop the Maddyness wrote:
It felt like we would never get through. But a couple hours and four buckets later, it was over. Mama praised us for a job well done. She thoroughly rinsed them, seasoned them, and placed them in the slow-cooker to simmer overnight.
Meanwhile, my sister and I ran to the bathroom to clean our hands that were all pale and wrinkled from that long-drawn-out time in chitlin dampness. We scrubbed and scrubbed with hot, soapy water, but that fatty-funky scent lingered on our skin for about 3 or 4 days after.
The entire house reeked so I stepped on the front porch, in the winter with no coat, to clear my lungs. After I started to get cold, I came back inside and bam! Again, that raw chitiln smell hit me – hard! I started to go back outside, but it was late and I was exhausted, so I went upstairs, showered and went to bed. During my sleep, I could swear that awful smell was in my dreams – stalking me.
In the morning, I awoke to the pleasant aroma of the family feast; the chitlin smell had become faint. I took a deep whiff and I smiled and thanked God. Later, when the company arrived, they commented on how everything smelled delicious and couldn’t wait to eat. Soon, Mama announced that dinner was ready. While all heads were bowed for grace, I could sense everyone’s anxiety to sink their teeth into that single culinary delight. Because after we said amen, my relatives raced for those chitlins! That poor bottle of hot sauce didn’t stand a chance with all my uncles, aunts, cousins and friends passing it around the table.
I watched how, in minutes, the guests devoured what took hours to prepare. All that work going from the plate to the palate and then out of sight. Witnessing this gave me a newfound respect for all those who had prepared chitlins for me in the past.
Before they were all gone, I fixed myself a plate and poured hot sauce all over them. I was ready to grub, but I couldn’t eat them! I kept imagining them in their pre-cooked state. Everybody chowed down on those chitlins – except me.
That was the day I stopped eating chitlins.
Thank God Mama never cooked them again because we never had to clean them again; I just never got past that experience. But, quietly kept, deep down inside my soul I still love chitlins.

Level 7

Location hidden

#14127 May 31, 2013
LizW wrote:
Good Morning All
Missy how dare you put weed killer on the dandelions. You don't know what you're missing!
Now we don't eat dandelion's from the yard. You dig them up from a farm or a field. My Mom said before it's because animals haven't peed on them before if they came from a farm. Not sure how true that is or how anyone would know if they've been pissed on before of not. FRIGS!
You dig them up, keeping the stem in tact. Wash them and then either fry them in oil and garlic or make a salad adding onions, tomatoes and Italian dressing.
You know how spinach sometimes leaves that iron taste in your mouth afterwards, well so do the dandelions. Also they're on the tuff side so you need good teeth to eat those suckers.
Oh and floss afterwards. Nothing is worse than having a weed stuck between your teeth.
Well a farm would more likely have pee on the dandelions then a yard.. I don't think they are anything I would try.. When we were in Michigan on the farm my Grandaughter picked me a big bouquet of them..I put them in a vase of water because she was so proud about picking me those flowers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Nostrilis Waxmoron 1,396,459
News Almost one year since gay marriage ruling, LGBT... 15 min lides 47
News Obama: Notion that being armed would have saved... 27 min Oh Dear 992
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 60,177
News News 28 Mins Ago 'Not the America we want': Oba... 2 hr Trumpster 388
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 3 hr Anne 98,099
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 4 hr LizW 513,338

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages