Car jumps Orange Avenue curb, kills m...

Car jumps Orange Avenue curb, kills man strolling on sidewalk w...

There are 53 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Oct 12, 2007, titled Car jumps Orange Avenue curb, kills man strolling on sidewalk w.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Norman Benzing climbed tall mountains, sailed to far-off islands and bicycled across the country -- twice.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Gloom and Doom

Silver Spring, MD

#21 Oct 12, 2007
"arrested 18 times for crimes that include larceny, possession of cocaine and violating probation". What is wrong with this bimbo. Now she's killed a poor old man. I think this idiot should be locked up for awhile and evaluated closely before being let out to prey on us all again.
Laying the Blame

Clearwater, FL

#22 Oct 12, 2007
I find it comical that people blindly blame the JUDGES, it is obvious who watches the propagandists on FAUX news.

How about we blame the failed system that the current administration has forced???...instead of spending money at home building bigger jails and more money for Law Enforcement we are building infrastructure and more weaponary to fight in some Middle East cesspool we decided to occupy.

Also here is another solution, how about we ease up on some of the petty incarcerations such as marijuana possession so we can free up some space in there for repeat offenders like this woman?

Just some suggestions instead of just blaming the Judges which accomplishes nothing.
Rene

Tampa, FL

#23 Oct 12, 2007
Makes me really sad that a wonderful person was lost to a no count thug who had no business on the street.
40 and 4

Georgetown, CA

#24 Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Racist wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said anything about race. I just said this reporter is wrong about her being arrested. The reporter claimed she was not arrested and that is not the case.
She was arrested on a VOP in relation to this case.
I'm glad you made your post and let people know that this woman is in jail now, not free. That's what matters, I think-- she wasn't in jail before, but at least she is now.

Thanks again for your post because you put information out there that we did not have previously.
Meg

Washington, DC

#25 Oct 12, 2007
edclark wrote:
Norm lived up the street from me. One pf the finest people I have ever know. I saw him walking everyday with his wife. He was a friend from the time we moved in, 13 years ago. He taught me how to really ride a bike(race)and at 67 he could still keep up with the "Young bucks" on the bike, not to mention with anything else he cared to do. Norm was a roll model in so many ways... he will be missed by all.
So sad, he sounds like a wonderful person. My best to his family in their loss.
Ridiculous

Ocala, FL

#26 Oct 12, 2007
Yet the problem is that if the judges actually did try to keep these people in jail or give them what they deserve, the ACLU would be all over their backsides. They need to start putting to death more criminals, including rapists and child molesters, and also murderers regardless of whether it is pre-meditated 1st degree or not. Then we will have more room for these more "petty" criminals, although I don't find it petty if they are breaking the law and violating the rights of the rest of us "good" citizens. But yes, it is very sad that this man died so senselessly. I feel horrible for their family.
What if wrote:
<quoted text>
My sentiments exactly. But then again, the reason we have so much crime is because the judges let them out to commit more crimes. Yesterday, a hardened criminal was let loose because the judge was late for the hearing. What kind of crap is that? The judge should be stuck in jail for a few days for letting this happen.
BPJ

Orlando, FL

#27 Oct 12, 2007
My prayers are with the family - this truly defines the words "senseless tragedy". BUT, thank God for the witness in the car who followed her and let the police know where she was. Just imagine if that good person had not gotten involved, she would still be driving around. Who knows when and if she would have been found. Maybe this will be enough to get her off the streets and out from behind the wheel.
Kathy

Altamonte Springs, FL

#28 Oct 12, 2007
Norm and Verlene have always been great role models to young men and women. It was always so sweet to meet them walking, to stop and talk for a bit to hear their stories of travel and family. both always with a smile and warmth. Norm you will be greatly missed and our thoughts and prayers are with Verlene and the rest of the family.
Chris

Orlando, FL

#29 Oct 12, 2007
LETS_SEE wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see it?!?! Where is the pictures of the dirty skank!!?!?!
I'm at work, can't look at myspace, but if you google FDOC (FL Dept. of Corrections) and use the offender search you can find her picture.

Looks about right.
UF ALUM

Apopka, FL

#30 Oct 12, 2007
What a tragedy. I hope this woman recieves the maximum sentence for this.

She was a mother of two...those kids don't have a chance at a good upbringing. What a waste of life.
E Vey

Longwood, FL

#32 Oct 12, 2007
An argument could be made that this was not senseless and this was not tragic, but it is culpable and foreseeable.

If you want to see some of her history, you can see it on yesterday's article comments found here:
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/orlando-fl/TN...

There, you will see that Miss Bragg likes to drive dangerously. You will also see that she was caught six times for driving on a suspended license.

Clearly, she has no business driving, and the county judsges said so six times, but the story gets better. She was caught twice AFTER she was she was on probation for Possession of Cocaine with intent to Distribute.

So, this unguided missile was released on an unsuspecting public not once, but twice after she could have been removed from society and where she could do no harm.

Her dangerous driving pattern was clear even before she was convicted (twice) on drug charges. The probation officer either didn't know or didn't mind that she was driving, even in an unsafe manner, since no action was taken to stop her.

Until she did something truly awful. I'm sorry Mr. Blackford, this was not like a meteor. Nothing can be done about meteors. This was a failure of a person or persons unknown to do their job.
JLC

United States

#33 Oct 12, 2007
My heart and prayers go out this his family and friends.
Mad about the whole deal

Eddyville, KY

#34 Oct 12, 2007
http://www.orangecountyfl.net/bailbond/defaul... {AD575B0E-5FA8-447E-B8CE-432A4 46BF855}&BookNumber=070475 67&ID=8312601646267

HERE IS HER PHOTO
E Vey

Longwood, FL

#35 Oct 12, 2007
Here is her myspace page:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...
Meg

Washington, DC

#36 Oct 12, 2007
LETS_SEE wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see it?!?! Where is the pictures of the dirty skank!!?!?!
Here's her pic, she's looks about 12 years old. Has only been under supervision since April. Well she's screwed now..

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveOffenders/det...

Since: Jul 07

Orlando, FL

#37 Oct 12, 2007
She was not arrested for reckless driving?! You run up on a sidewalk and kill someone, and that's that? Unbelievable.
Fred

Advance, NC

#38 Oct 12, 2007
My thoughts and prayers are with the family and close friends. Mr. Benzing was always a wonderful man
R Thomas

Lexington Park, MD

#39 Oct 12, 2007
My family does not understand why the driver of the car was not arrested after 18 charges were previous against her.
Charlie Thomas
E Vey

Longwood, FL

#40 Oct 12, 2007
lator gator wrote:
She was not arrested for reckless driving?! You run up on a sidewalk and kill someone, and that's that? Unbelievable.
She's locked up. She should have been locked up back in May or June, but she's locked up now.

Let the cops take their time and do the job right. They know where she lives, so there is no rush.
O Boy

United States

#41 Oct 12, 2007
We know the Benzing family and they are wonderful people. Our prayers are with them.

Unfortunately, everyday in the paper and every night on the news is more evidence of what Orlando has become. Our City and County officials, as well as our judicial system has not served us well. My family has been in Orlando for four generations and I never thought we would consider leaving, but we now often talk about it. It only seems to get worse everyday and if there is more to come of the same - you win...we are off to parts unknown. What a shame...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Julia 1,497,063
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 min Patriot AKA Bozo 63,299
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 44 min Lon Spector 512,927
News Leader of Orlando-area motorcycle club assaulte... (Nov '07) 3 hr Hooah 763
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 7 hr zazz 98,345
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 9 hr Doug77 19,499
News In the 1930s, LI family raised pet chimp (Feb '09) 11 hr JackieGP 9

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages