Teen charged in killing of homeless m...

Teen charged in killing of homeless man found under I-4

There are 255 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Apr 17, 2009, titled Teen charged in killing of homeless man found under I-4. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Orlando police arrested an 18-year-old Friday evening in the killing of a man found on an embankment beneath Interstate 4 . Tyler A. Sturdivant faces first-degree-murder and attempted-robbery charges in the death of Ora James Light, 51, a homeless man, Sgt.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 13
Next Last
Madass

Athens, TN

#2 Apr 18, 2009
What? No Hate Crime charge?????
If the killer were white and the victim black it would have been HATE CRIME CITY all over this paper!
Good grief

Rochester, NY

#3 Apr 18, 2009
Another animal who should have been at least in juvy detention, but instead was set free to prey upon society. Yesterday we had an attempted kidnapper and child rapist allowed out on 5,000 bond, and now this slimeball. What judge really thought this gang banger should be given a second chance, given the nature of the gun charges? I've seen shoplifters get more serious treatment.
downtown resident

AOL

#5 Apr 18, 2009
Is he wearing a snuggie? Geez, dogs treat humans better than him.
tydus

United States

#7 Apr 18, 2009
hate crime??? yeah right....so far I know of only 2 cases where a black has been charged with a hate crime against a white...that being said since he seemed to target this homeless person that should qualify as a hate crime, but I doubt the DA will have the nads to pursue this...don't want a visit from daisy, jesse, and rev al do we????
Matt

San Antonio, TX

#8 Apr 18, 2009
What utter MORON decided that two years probation and 23 days in jail for his initial gun charge was a good idea?

It doesn't matter what color they are - the experience shows that these Gangst'a thug punk wanna-bes need to be incarcerated, not coddled.
St Cloud

Maitland, FL

#9 Apr 18, 2009
judgement day wrote:
Self defense? I guess you were walking along by the over pass and the homeless guy just jumped out and attacked you right?
I hope they fry you until your gold teeth melt you punk.
Very Nice could not have said it better.

Since: Aug 08

Windermere, FL

#10 Apr 18, 2009
Matt wrote:
What utter MORON decided that two years probation and 23 days in jail for his initial gun charge was a good idea?
It doesn't matter what color they are - the experience shows that these Gangst'a thug punk wanna-bes need to be incarcerated, not coddled.
I believe in giving criminals second chances. But that's only because I believe in RESURRECTION!(It will come to you)
U R An Idiot

White House, TN

#11 Apr 18, 2009
Madass wrote:
What? No Hate Crime charge?????
If the killer were white and the victim black it would have been HATE CRIME CITY all over this paper!
Since when does every crime involving 2 races qualify as a hate crime? Maybe you should do some research on that law ans why it was enacted instead of parading your ignorance in public.
U R An Idiot

White House, TN

#12 Apr 18, 2009
tydus wrote:
hate crime??? yeah right....so far I know of only 2 cases where a black has been charged with a hate crime against a white...that being said since he seemed to target this homeless person that should qualify as a hate crime, but I doubt the DA will have the nads to pursue this...don't want a visit from daisy, jesse, and rev al do we????
If he were wrongly arrested and charged I'm sure you'd here from Jesse, Daisy and Al and rightly so.
You are a racist, too bad that's not a crime.
Alex

Orlando, FL

#13 Apr 18, 2009
The police say BOTH men were armed, and he was robbing a HOMELESS man?
Let's hope he has a public defender.
Great job by police of catching this guy!
Gun Toter

Saint Cloud, FL

#15 Apr 18, 2009
Good job OPD, glad to see y'all get it right for a change.
John

Winter Garden, FL

#16 Apr 18, 2009
Maybe now this criminal will serve some serious time or worse......It is just very sad that a man had to lose his life to someone like this......This guy is the waste to society.
John

Winter Garden, FL

#17 Apr 18, 2009
U R An Idiot wrote:
<quoted text>
If he were wrongly arrested and charged I'm sure you'd here from Jesse, Daisy and Al and rightly so.
You are a racist, too bad that's not a crime.
Had to bring that card in !! The name you chose describes you . "U R An Idiot".
soflokid

Hollywood, FL

#19 Apr 18, 2009
Honestly, some people just shouldn't breed. This is the science of Eugenics and social engineering and belief in the possibility of improving the qualities of the human species or a human population by such means as discouraging reproduction by persons having genetic defects or presumed to have inheritable undesirable traits (negative eugenics) or encouraging reproduction by persons presumed to have inheritable desirable traits (positive eugenics). Since the postwar period, both the public and the scientific communities have associated eugenics with the Nazi’s racial hygiene, human experimentation, and the extermination of undesired population groups – taking an honest look at the practicality of some folks reproducing. Take a minute to read the Herald or see what’s taking up space around you; it’s easy to see the science has merit. Developments in genetic, genomic, and reproductive technologies at the end of the 20th century have raised many new questions and concerns about what exactly constitutes the meaning of eugenics and what its ethical and moral status is in the modern era. It's a science worth considering.........
beach bum

Haughton, LA

#21 Apr 18, 2009
Young blacks and some whites are losing their morals ,they are the product of a soicity moving ahead in the wrong direction.
Applanalyst

Allentown, PA

#22 Apr 18, 2009
'soflokid', I beleive your buddy Adlof Hitler used the same argument. Look where that got us.
Kayla

Orlando, FL

#23 Apr 18, 2009
Good grief wrote:
Another animal who should have been at least in juvy detention, but instead was set free to prey upon society. Yesterday we had an attempted kidnapper and child rapist allowed out on 5,000 bond, and now this slimeball. What judge really thought this gang banger should be given a second chance, given the nature of the gun charges? I've seen shoplifters get more serious treatment.
Before you go judging someone by their appearance get to know them! That"slimeball" is my brother! He is NO AMINAL!!!!!!!!! You dont even know him!
Kayla

Orlando, FL

#24 Apr 18, 2009
soflokid wrote:
Honestly, some people just shouldn't breed. This is the science of Eugenics and social engineering and belief in the possibility of improving the qualities of the human species or a human population by such means as discouraging reproduction by persons having genetic defects or presumed to have inheritable undesirable traits (negative eugenics) or encouraging reproduction by persons presumed to have inheritable desirable traits (positive eugenics). Since the postwar period, both the public and the scientific communities have associated eugenics with the Nazi’s racial hygiene, human experimentation, and the extermination of undesired population groups – taking an honest look at the practicality of some folks reproducing. Take a minute to read the Herald or see what’s taking up space around you; it’s easy to see the science has merit. Developments in genetic, genomic, and reproductive technologies at the end of the 20th century have raised many new questions and concerns about what exactly constitutes the meaning of eugenics and what its ethical and moral status is in the modern era. It's a science worth considering.........
So you are saying my parents should not have gotten together and "breeded?" Maybe you should think about what you type before you post it
Kayla

Orlando, FL

#25 Apr 18, 2009
I want everyone who posted to know that his family has read each and every one of these posts. Poeple should think about what they type and how it affects the people who read it
Gene

United States

#26 Apr 18, 2009
I fully predict that another innocent person(s) will die about 5 or 6 years from now as a result of Sturdivant being free. For lack of witnesses and because he is only 18 the DA will plea bargain this murder to a reduced charge with a 7 to 8 year sentence. Once the sentence is passed he will receive credit for time served and spend another 3 or 4 years incarcerated before he is released on probation for good behavior.

About six years from now there will probably be a news article like this "Tyler A. Sturdivant, 26, is charged with murdering an elderly couple while burglarizing their home. He was previously charged with the murder of a homeless man in 2009 that was reduced to manslaughter and was was released from prison in 2014."

Same old story.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News One speed hump not enough in Dania Beach neighb... (Mar '08) 15 min Christina 7
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 22 min litesong 60,174
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 48 min USAsince1680 1,396,346
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 1 hr -Prince- 19,032
___Justice For Caylee___Cont. (Feb '10) 1 hr Tzu 25,565
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 3 hr Anne 98,094
News News 28 Mins Ago 'Not the America we want': Oba... 3 hr Mite Be 384

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages