Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1252091 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1049109 Dec 29, 2013
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Still has nothing to do with what Galt posted.
Either come up with something that reflects an understanding of what someone posted or I will not respond.
You and USAsince have dumb down this board all afternoon being attention hogs.
i understand that you nutjobs will tell any lie you think you need to to bash Obama.

i also understand that you can't cite lies. so what do i get? the birther shtick 'I don't have to prove anything, you do!'.

you guys are all talk and no go.
PDUPONT

Belchertown, MA

#1049110 Dec 29, 2013
LoisLane59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Think back to the Carter years - recession, malaise, gas rationing - and then remember the Reagan years - high employment and a growing economy.
Yes, Reagan raised taxes on some products and raised taxes across-the-board but that was when the Democrats reneged on their promise to cut spending in return.
And, yes, Reagan spent more on the military to win the Cold War - "peace through strength" - which increased the deficit.
But his trickle down economics took us out of the Carter recession and even carried over into the Clinton administration.
The economy was strong during the Reagan administration. You can argue all you want to but it won't change this fact.
That’s hogwash.
During his two terms in the White House (1981–89), Reagan presided over a widening gap between the rich and everyone else, declining wages and living standards for working families, an assault on labor unions as a vehicle to lift Americans into the middle class, a dramatic increase in poverty and homelessness, and the consolidation and deregulation of the financial industry that led to the current mortgage meltdown, foreclosure epidemic and lingering recession.
Many Americans credit Reagan with reducing the size of government. In reality, he increased government spending, cut taxes and turned the United States from a creditor to a debtor nation. During his presidency, Reagan escalated the military budget while slashing funds for domestic programs that assisted working-class Americans and protected consumers and the environment. Not surprisingly, both George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush followed in Reagan’s footsteps.
Reagan’s fans give him credit for restoring the nation’s prosperity. But whatever economic growth occurred during the Reagan years mostly benefitted those already well off. The income gap between the rich and everyone else in America widened. Wages for the average worker declined and the nation’s homeownership rate fell. During Reagan’s two terms in the White House, the minimum wage was frozen at $3.35 an hour, while prices rose, thus eroding the standard of living of millions of low-wage workers. The number of people living beneath the federal poverty line rose from 26.1 million in 1979 to 32.7 million in 1988. Meanwhile, the rich got much richer. By the end of the decade, the richest 1 percent of Americans had 39 percent of the nation’s wealth. So no Carol, trickle down didn't work, it made things worse for the middle class and especially the poor.
And no Carol, Reagan had little if anything to do with ending the Cold Wars with his military spending. There are two people who had more to do with the demise of Communism and the fall of the Soviet union and they were Lech Walesa of the Solidarity labor movement and Karol Wojtyla aka John Paul II.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1049111 Dec 29, 2013
Ray Donovan wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, how can readers possibly judge any sort of statement from a serial liar?
Secondly, the one certainty regarding the Obama administration's handling of the Benghazi terrorist attack is the video excuse was pathetic and insulting.
Thirdly - what difference, at this point, does it make? Mere bumps in the road to fundamentally changing our nation.
it has been ascertained that the video did play a part.

by actually asking people! no guessing involved!

btw...FOX forgot to tell you......13 Benghazis while Bush was in office. a whole lot of bumps, don't you think?
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#1049112 Dec 29, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
In order to eliminate pre-existing conditions, there needed to be a mandate.
In order to have a mandate for coverage, a definition of coverage was required.
Its really simple logic. No wonder you can't get it.

of Ignoliburul-Tic commies...

I meant to inquire of you a little deeper on your "ILLlogic" in that one Duh A Vey.

Because it's kind of like saying in order for the FDA to legislate the quality of ..let's say oranges, there should be a mandate that people must purchase oranges. In order for that mandate to outline the regulation of quality on oranges, a definition of those regulations would be required after the mandate that people purchase them.

Talk about putting the half rotten apple barrel cart, void of any good ones, BEFORE a broke back mule team...
Duhmfkn commieTics, wouldn't know "logic" if it smacked them between their commie eyeballs!

Duhmmy.
angel

Boise, ID

#1049113 Dec 29, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
i understand that you nutjobs will tell any lie you think you need to to bash Obama.
i also understand that you can't cite lies. so what do i get? the birther shtick 'I don't have to prove anything, you do!'.
you guys are all talk and no go.
Yes but without Teabagging Lies how else do you expect them to indulge their Dispicable Racism and pretend to hold the Moral Highground at the same time?
Its probably not as easy as they make it look.
Bloody Mary

Lombard, IL

#1049114 Dec 29, 2013
Good morning to all you tender little lambchops
I will be here all day scrutinizing for fundamental flaws every utterance you make.
angel

Boise, ID

#1049115 Dec 29, 2013
PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
That’s hogwash.
During his two terms in the White House (1981–89), Reagan presided over a widening gap between the rich and everyone else, declining wages and living standards for working families, an assault on labor unions as a vehicle to lift Americans into the middle class, a dramatic increase in poverty and homelessness, and the consolidation and deregulation of the financial industry that led to the current mortgage meltdown, foreclosure epidemic and lingering recession.
Many Americans credit Reagan with reducing the size of government. In reality, he increased government spending, cut taxes and turned the United States from a creditor to a debtor nation. During his presidency, Reagan escalated the military budget while slashing funds for domestic programs that assisted working-class Americans and protected consumers and the environment. Not surprisingly, both George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush followed in Reagan’s footsteps.
Reagan’s fans give him credit for restoring the nation’s prosperity. But whatever economic growth occurred during the Reagan years mostly benefitted those already well off. The income gap between the rich and everyone else in America widened. Wages for the average worker declined and the nation’s homeownership rate fell. During Reagan’s two terms in the White House, the minimum wage was frozen at $3.35 an hour, while prices rose, thus eroding the standard of living of millions of low-wage workers. The number of people living beneath the federal poverty line rose from 26.1 million in 1979 to 32.7 million in 1988. Meanwhile, the rich got much richer. By the end of the decade, the richest 1 percent of Americans had 39 percent of the nation’s wealth. So no Carol, trickle down didn't work, it made things worse for the middle class and especially the poor.
And no Carol, Reagan had little if anything to do with ending the Cold Wars with his military spending. There are two people who had more to do with the demise of Communism and the fall of the Soviet union and they were Lech Walesa of the Solidarity labor movement and Karol Wojtyla aka John Paul II.
Thats a huge chunk of TRUTH to lay on Topix teabaggers....I certainly hope you havent exploded all of their heads.
And you know how they feel about Truth they DONT WANT TO HEAR....
Its just lucky they have consoled themselves that History is a Liberal Hoax....much like Objective Reality.

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#1049116 Dec 29, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. That is why I don't correct people's spelling. We all make spelling and grammatical mistakes. Sometimes our fingers work faster than our brains. It's not like it discredits what someone says. Conservatives seem to have a problem with bullying and pettiness.
Your bullying observation is right on. These right wing morons get frustrated when flaws in their facts and logic are pointed out to them. Rather than admit they were wrong they attack the messenger.
And I agree, we all make spelling and grammatical mistakes. I do enjoy pointing out the irony in posts like Eman's where he made a spelling mistake while criticizing my spelling. Another favorite was when one of these idiots called me an "idiat".
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#1049117 Dec 29, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
Topix as a source???..
ROTFLMAO (as our pal Realtime would say)....
butt..butt..it on topix so it mutt be so!

(dhmfkn libuhrulTic commietards.)
angel

Boise, ID

#1049118 Dec 29, 2013
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
In order to eliminate pre-existing conditions, there needed to be a mandate.
In order to have a mandate for coverage, a definition of coverage was required.
Its really simple logic. No wonder you can't get it.
of Ignoliburul-Tic commies...
I meant to inquire of you a little deeper on your "ILLlogic" in that one Duh A Vey.
Because it's kind of like saying in order for the FDA to legislate the quality of ..let's say oranges, there should be a mandate that people must purchase oranges. In order for that mandate to outline the regulation of quality on oranges, a definition of those regulations would be required after the mandate that people purchase them.
Talk about putting the half rotten apple barrel cart, void of any good ones, BEFORE a broke back mule team...
Duhmfkn commieTics, wouldn't know "logic" if it smacked them between their commie eyeballs!
Duhmmy.
Kentucky is just FULL of Teabaggin' sock puppets!
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1049119 Dec 29, 2013
angel wrote:
<quoted text> Yes but without Teabagging Lies how else do you expect them to indulge their Dispicable Racism and pretend to hold the Moral Highground at the same time?
Its probably not as easy as they make it look.
baggers lying has become a self defeating task.

something about a wolf crying. since March of 2009. and OMG...Obama is still here!
Whatever

Gering, NE

#1049120 Dec 29, 2013
New day I read whole bunch of Homophobe posts from the Progressives while thinking they sound so bright doing it.

Some of you with new socks aren't as clever as you think.
Whatever

Gering, NE

#1049121 Dec 29, 2013
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
butt..butt..it on topix so it mutt be so!
(dhmfkn libuhrulTic commietards.)
Progressive Rule-it is only true when a Progressive wants it to be true and its' truthfulness may expire at anytime at the convenience of the Progressive no longer wanting it to be true.
angel

Boise, ID

#1049122 Dec 29, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
baggers lying has become a self defeating task.
something about a wolf crying. since March of 2009. and OMG...Obama is still here!
Yes for THREE MORE YEARS!!!!!
Then we get the Epic Mutually Fatal Act of Auto Erotic Strangulation between Teabaggers and the GOP establishment that will be the Republican Primaries ...then probably at least four years of Hillary!
Whatever

Gering, NE

#1049123 Dec 29, 2013
Emeem wrote:
<quoted text>
Your bullying observation is right on. These right wing morons get frustrated when flaws in their facts and logic are pointed out to them. Rather than admit they were wrong they attack the messenger.
And I agree, we all make spelling and grammatical mistakes. I do enjoy pointing out the irony in posts like Eman's where he made a spelling mistake while criticizing my spelling. Another favorite was when one of these idiots called me an "idiat".
If you wouldn't have pitch such a tissy fit about your misspelling yesterday-your ego wouldn't be so bruised today.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1049124 Dec 29, 2013
The Best of Fringe Factor: A Year in Review

We’ll all remember 2013 as the year political extremes hit the big time, won’t we? From the ‘terrorist’ Wendy Davis to masturbating fetuses and a suit to end homosexuality, a look back.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/12...

America. where you are free to be as stupid as you want. quack, quack.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#1049125 Dec 29, 2013
angel wrote:
<quoted text>Yes for THREE MORE YEARS!!!!!
Then we get the Epic Mutually Fatal Act of Auto Erotic Strangulation between Teabaggers and the GOP establishment that will be the Republican Primaries ...then probably at least four years of Hillary!
was just reading.....

The GOP’s growing divide

If only the GOP had a message.

There is one proposition on which the party’s warring factions agree:“We don’t like Obama’s Affordable Care Act.” But there is a lack of consensus, to put it mildly, on how this visceral dislike of a president and his signature policy initiative should translate into concrete political action.

For Republicans — to invert a classic George W. Bush bon mot — Obamacare has somehow become a divider, not a uniter. In a year when the GOP may have a legitimate chance of capturing the Senate, several primary contests appear likely to devolve into bloody battles over Obama’s health-care reforms — not whether to oppose them, but how.

.....The question of how the GOP should proceed really should be a no-brainer. But after cynically taking advantage of the huge jolt of energy provided by tea party activists, the Republican establishment is finding that these true believers don’t necessarily listen when they’re told to go sit in a corner and shut up.

The no-compromises GOP base is fertile fundraising territory for potential presidential candidates, such as Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, and for pressure groups such as Heritage Action and the Club for Growth. So these provocateurs can be counted on to keep far-right anger and resentment at a rolling boil — and resist the establishment’s attempt to lower the temperature.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce is expected to spend up to $50 million to ensure that the Republican Party chooses no extremist “loser candidates” for Senate races. As Scott Reed, the chamber’s chief political strategist, told the Wall Street Journal:“That will be our mantra: No fools on our ticket.”

Wanna bet?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/eugene...
Whatever

Gering, NE

#1049126 Dec 29, 2013
We've recently completed earnings season on Wall Street, when publicly traded companies report their quarterly earnings. Earnings of S&P 500 companies were up a tepid 3.7% for the year, but overall revenue was down 0.2%

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2013/05/17/ear...
Whatever

Gering, NE

#1049127 Dec 29, 2013
One way to look at stock valuations is the Shiller PE index, which looks at a decade of earnings and adjusts for inflation. Stocks are currently trading around a multiple of 24, meaning the stock price is 24X a company's earnings. Historically, stocks have traded at a multiple of 16.

So the bubble has formed now for when it pops.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1049128 Dec 29, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>So what you are actually saying is that "many" insurance companies are knowingly and intentionally selling worthless products.
I'll repeat___ROFLMAO
the insurance companies are selling the only product viable under ObamaKKKare....

feel free to judge the value of the "insurance" or the doctors willing to work on the cheap...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 2 hr Mary NY 500,203
two words (Jul '10) 3 hr Princess Hey 27,315
New Game ***Last Word + 2 (Oct '11) 3 hr Princess Hey 12,168
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 3 hr Princess Hey 17,991
5000 post wins (Feb '13) 3 hr Princess Hey 4,600
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 4 hr Marley 72,233
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 7 hr A duck 18,267
More from around the web

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE