Barack Obama, our next President

Barack Obama, our next President

There are 1421073 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Nov 5, 2008, titled Barack Obama, our next President. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

Frank

Spokane, WA

#1032944 Dec 1, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Many will choose to pay the penalty in lieu of obtaining insurance but few are morally corrupt enough to refuse to pay the penalty. The ACA will be funded just fine.
The Ponzi type scheme is impossible to fund because there are more people taking than contributing. You will change your view when Obama sends you a bill every month for more than your net earnings.

“Peace on Earth”

Level 4

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#1032948 Dec 1, 2013
new yawk wrote:
<quoted text>
Many would be within their Constituional Right NOT to pay the penalty - which is clearly a tax. It was Obama and this Administration who have acted unConstitutional and morally corrupt. And the only reason why "the many" will choose(?)-
( It's not really a choice now is it ?), is to avoid jail sentence or Obama's IRS Dawgs.
Though the following is "old news", it is still relevant. The Supreme Court Ruling to uphold The Personal Mandate as legitimate/A TAX,( which was the only way The Court could uphold it as "lawful" ), acted as unConstitutional and morally corrupt as the mandate itself.
Appears The Supreme Court was willing to create a new constitutional doctrine. But, that doesn't make it morally right.
( Chief Justice John Roberts sure as shyzer gambled away his credibility on that vote ).
Why the Personal Mandate to Buy Health Insurance Is Unprecedented and Unconstitutional
By Randy Barnett, Nathaniel Stewart and Todd F. Gaziano
Executive Summary
"A mandate requiring all individuals to purchase health insurance would be an unprecedented form of federal action. The government has never required people to buy any good or service as a condition of lawful residence in the United States. An individual mandate would have two features that, in combination, would make it unique. First, it would impose a duty on individuals as members of society. Second, it would require people to purchase a specific service that would be heavily regulated by the federal government.[1]".
"Nowhere in the Constitution is Congress given the power to mandate that an individual enter into a contract with a private party or purchase a good or service and, as this paper will explain, no decision or present doctrine of the Supreme Court justifies such a claim of power. Therefore, because this claim of power by Congress would literally be without precedent, it could only be upheld if the Supreme Court is willing to create a new constitutional doctrine. This memorandum explains why the two powers cited by supporters of this bill--the power of Congress to regulate interstate commerce and the power of Congress to tax--do not justify an individual mandate, even under the most expansive readings given these powers by the Supreme Court. In particular, this paper addresses four topics that have not yet been given adequate consideration by Congress and most, if not all, of the commentators".
But, you already know all of this. And the Constitutionality of this mandate and many if not most of the laws/policies Barack legislated have breached. But then, he was a breech-birthed baby from the onset. Which would explain why he's leading from behing.
Obamacare will not be funded JUST fine.
FUNDED BY FORCE OF A FINE - FEDERAL THEFT is more accurate.
Nice to see you posting despite our difference of opinion.
Hi New Yawk. Good to see you too. I've always respected your opinions. The world would be a bore if we couldn't discuss opposing points in a harmonious and friendly manner.

As Hiliary Clinton said:

"I think that you can disagree with people and debate over their positions with issues without engaging in the politics of personal destruction."

That said, the bottom line is...the Supreme Court determined that the mandate fell within the Constitution's Necessary and Proper Clause because insurance market reforms couldn't function effectively without it. Unprecedented? Yes. Unconstitutional? No.

LCNLin

United States

#1032949 Dec 1, 2013
Jean wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you actually saying that the CIA won't try to curb a terrorist attack against the United states and it's citizens ? Is that what you're saying? Then why do we need the CIA?
And under whose watch did 9/11 occur while GW failure was vacationing? And where is Osama Bin Laden? It is the republican's failed antiterror policies that allow people like those involved in the current plot to continue planning and scheming in both Iraq and the US.
Yes!
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1032950 Dec 1, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Ahem, there was predatory lending going on at the time as well as predatory borrowing.
In my state angle shooters were buying homes left and right, turning them into rentals or "lease to own." Many were lying about their resources, fudging appraisals, you name it. It was easy for those who had mortgage broker's licenses.
so, just let them go under...
LCNLin

United States

#1032951 Dec 1, 2013
Demos wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me where the right is concerned with illegals purchasing their own coverage without government assistance.
The argument has always been the objection to the bill paying for coverage for illegals. Y'all are now trying to cover your asses by confusing the issue. That'll work 'cause the American public is so easily confused. Just look at the rise in Fox's ratings.
Fox ratings remain inflated?
LCNLin

United States

#1032952 Dec 1, 2013
Nobama wrote:
<quoted text>
Just for laughs, if we could have a national referendum on granting citizenship to illegal aliens, what do you think the vote would be?
Keep in mind that much of Obama's base is in direct competition with the illegal aliens in the job market.
Seems to be working for the Democrats
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1032953 Dec 1, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Many will choose to pay the penalty in lieu of obtaining insurance but few are morally corrupt enough to refuse to pay the penalty. The ACA will be funded just fine.
... not without lots of healthy young people paying outrageous premiums...
Frank

Spokane, WA

#1032954 Dec 1, 2013
TSM wrote:
The parallels between Healthcare.gov and Presidents Obama’s policies are a total attempt to dismantle Americans Liberties!! The American People rejects both and decided to shout the words of Patrick Henry: Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death!!
Correct,it's not just ObamaKare,it's Obama agenda and all his policies that are hurting our country.
John Galt

Temecula, CA

#1032956 Dec 1, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi New Yawk. Good to see you too. I've always respected your opinions. The world would be a bore if we couldn't discuss opposing points in a harmonious and friendly manner.
As Hiliary Clinton said:
"I think that you can disagree with people and debate over their positions with issues without engaging in the politics of personal destruction."
That said, the bottom line is...the Supreme Court determined that the mandate fell within the Constitution's Necessary and Proper Clause because insurance market reforms couldn't function effectively without it. Unprecedented? Yes. Unconstitutional? No.
BS...the Supreme Court ruled that Congress could levy taxes as it chose...period...end of story...

“Peace on Earth”

Level 4

Location hidden

#1032957 Dec 1, 2013
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>The Ponzi type scheme is impossible to fund because there are more people taking than contributing. You will change your view when Obama sends you a bill every month for more than your net earnings.
Only time will tell. I'm willing to give the ACA a chance to get on it's feet. What I don't understand is the selfishness displayed by Republicans in attacking a program that is designed to help the excluded in society. All I can think of it resides in that "idolatry of money" that Pope Francis mentioned in his platform.

“Peace on Earth”

Level 4

Location hidden

#1032958 Dec 1, 2013
driveby ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>Hello, USA! Good to see you again!
Hi Ferrerman! Or is it "Richie Incognito- Boy Detective!" Just "driving by"? Good to see you stopping in. Hope you hang around.
Realtime

Cape Canaveral, FL

#1032959 Dec 1, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
so, just let them go under...
Stupid fk! Thousands of mortgage brokers fled Florida after the shyt hit the fan. Many left their own homes behind, a few left their families behind. More than a few are in prison.

Untamed greed has a price.
RUSH10ME

King William, VA

#1032961 Dec 1, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Stupid fk! Thousands of mortgage brokers fled Florida after the shyt hit the fan. Many left their own homes behind, a few left their families behind. More than a few are in prison.
Giving away peoples hard earned money and freedoms has a price also , I hope the bill for it hits exactly where it should .
Duncan

Satellite Beach, FL

#1032963 Dec 1, 2013
Realtime wrote:
<quoted text>Stupid fk! Thousands of mortgage brokers fled Florida after the shyt hit the fan. Many left their own homes behind, a few left their families behind. More than a few are in prison.
the untamed greed of Obama and his moronic worshippers...one of which is you.

Level 5

Since: Jun 13

Orlando, FL

#1032964 Dec 1, 2013
LCNLin wrote:
<quoted text>
University of Central Florida has a Department of History ?
With a university course of two under your belt you might not embarrass yourself with your history posts from the web.?
Time passes slowly with retirement?
You would be hard-pressed to find any credible source who puts the economic crash solely on Bush's shoulders.

What led up to it goes back much further than 2007 or 2008.

However, if you took a macroeconomics course in your local community college, you'd learn that too.

Level 5

Orlando, FL

#1032965 Dec 1, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Only time will tell. I'm willing to give the ACA a chance to get on it's feet. What I don't understand is the selfishness displayed by Republicans in attacking a program that is designed to help the excluded in society. All I can think of it resides in that "idolatry of money" that Pope Francis mentioned in his platform.
Because it is NOT designed to help the excluded or anyone else for that matter!!!

Obamacare does NOT PROVIDE health care.
Obamacare CONTROLS health care.

Until you can digest this fundamental purpose of big government, you will never understand its consequences.

“Peace on Earth”

Level 4

Location hidden

#1032966 Dec 1, 2013
John Galt wrote:
<quoted text>
... not without lots of healthy young people paying outrageous premiums...
Call me Pollyanna but I believe our young people are more responsible than you give them credit. If they can afford it, they will purchase coverage. If they can't afford coverage, they probably qualify for tax credits or are exempt under the terms of the ACA due to their low-income. It will all work out.

I will say that, given the vast number of new insured entering the market, I do find the "reported" unreasonable increases in insurance premiums troubling. It will be interesting to see what happens over time.
Level 1

Since: Aug 13

Bozeman, MT

#1032967 Dec 1, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Only time will tell. I'm willing to give the ACA a chance to get on it's feet. What I don't understand is the selfishness displayed by Republicans in attacking a program that is designed to help the excluded in society.
The program is designed to allow the government to hijack 1/7th of the U.S. economy and "control the people."

Selfishness? LOL!

You already admitted it's not about providing health care: "those who decide to express their displeasure with the ACA and Obama by refusing to carry health insurance can gamble with their health. No body really cares what happens to them anyways."

Think the the "Pope" cares?
Duncan

Satellite Beach, FL

#1032968 Dec 1, 2013
Duncan wrote:
<quoted text> the untamed greed of Obama and his moronic worshippers...one of which is you.
Suck it up, Obamabots!

Level 5

Orlando, FL

#1032969 Dec 1, 2013
USAsince1680 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you understand that more people will have a much more difficult time getting prompt health care or that the CBO estimates 30 million will still be uninsured under this big government takeover?

Big government is guilty of "idolatry of money" more than anyone. Except they're idolatry lies with "other people's money."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Actual Science 61,099
Chris Powell Editor Journal Inquirer investigat... 9 hr Beachlver 1
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 17 hr ImaginaryFriend 73,695
loan shark (Dec '11) 22 hr spotcred 34
News The Methodist Church May Split Over LGBT Issues... 23 hr Gov Corbutt of th... 3
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) Mon zazz 98,176
News Attention drivers: Waldo's 'speed trap' police ... (Jun '07) Mon Road Runner 65

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages