Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#901878 May 13, 2013
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
Drones ready to roll nearby, laden with tear gas would've been helpful.
Especially with big, black, flags already apparent PRIOR.
Just more Failed foreign policy, contributing to more failed renegade statehoodie-ism anarchy.
ready to roll?

like fighter jets that could have shot down passenger jets before they flew into very tall buildings?

just more failed renegade fascist anarchy?

Level 4

Since: Apr 13

Orlando, FL

#901879 May 13, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on Carol, You know Bush gave up looking. He called Bin Laden irrelevant. He abandoned Afghanistan to invade Iraq.
They knew a name of a courier. So why didn't they get Bin Laden in 2007???? Was it because they lacked so much more?
You are so pathetic that you can't even give a crap that Bush called the murderer of 3000 Americans irrelevant & so pathetic you can't give President Obama credit to putting in the effort & getting him.
Torture (water Boarding) had nothing o do with getting Bin Laden.
Well, if that's what Bush REALLY said, you might have an axe to grind.

Kerry accused Bush of saying 'I'm not that concerned' about the al Qaida leader when asked where bin Laden was. The context, though, was misstated. Bush was saying bin Laden could not elude U.S. forces forever and also said at the time: "He's the one who needs to be worried."

When asked another time, Bush said: "Well, as I say, we haven't heard much from him. And I wouldn't necessarily say he's at the center of any command structure...I know he is on the run...I was concerned about him when he had taken over a country...I was concerned about the fact that he was basically running Afghanistan and calling the shots for the Taliban."

In other words, even more dangerous Taliban leaders had taken bin Laden's place, some of whom were captured or killed, and Bush was more concerned about the ones who were now calling the shots. He was also fighting two wars, and there were elistist force groups looking for bin Laden since 9/11.
Jimmy

Newington, CT

#901880 May 13, 2013
Eman wrote:
<quoted text>
"Robert Gates Calls Benghazi Critics ‘The’
Take one word Gates said and make it a headline.
Sonicscatterbrain only knows how to post propaganda. Most of us ignore it and take it for what it is. Spam.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#901881 May 13, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
Sonicscatterbrain only knows how to post propaganda. Most of us ignore it and take it for what it is. Spam.
somehow different from FOXbots posting FOX wishful thinking.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#901882 May 13, 2013
Consider me as confused as Terrence Jeffries. The voluble conservative gadfly let it slip on Sean Hannity's radio program today that he really doesn't know what possible motivation the Obama administration would have for altering talking points about the Benghazi terrorist attack, or in forcing Hillary Clinton to go along with a conspiracy to somehow cover up something having to do with the death of four American diplomats and intelligence officers.

A few seconds earlier, Jeffries had described a statement that went out from the U.S. embassy in Egypt attempting to calm passions amid the firefight.(He directly attributed the statement to Hillary Clinton, but hey, why let facts get in the way?) Said Jeffries: "They need to explain that Sean. They haven't done it yet. The root of it is Hillary Clinton."

Hannity isn't quite ready to move on. "I think Hillary was running interference for Obama but I'm convinced that the talking points had to go through the re-election campaign that was located in the White House."

But Jeffries must make sure that the blame lies with Hillary Clinton; the buck must stop with her, because she's going to run for president in 2016, and Jeffries needs to raise money off of her, and he needs to begin to draw a caricature of her as uncaring, unfeeling, and willing to let four Americans die rather than face up to the fact of an al Qaeda renaissance.

"I don't know the motive for why they covered up," he admitted, after Hannity tried to shift the focus back to Obama's National Security Council.

http://theweek.com/article/index/243922/yes-t...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#901883 May 13, 2013
One of the reasons why Americans aren't outraged about Benghazi is that the event is a series of tragedies in search of a unifying explanation, and one that "Obama is evil" doesn't cover. Because really, to suggest that the Pentagon or the White House would deliberately — and yes, this is EXACTLY what Republicans are suggesting — prevent special operations forces from rescuing American diplomats BECAUSE they worried about the potential political blowback because they KNEW exactly who was behind it (al Qaeda) is —well, it is to suggest that Barack Obama is simply and utterly evil.

The umbrage that State Department officials who were in Libya take at the response of the bureaucracy is well-grounded. But I wonder what it feels like to have their understandable ire, their mourning and grief and anger, be harnessed to a partisan political gladiator fight that's aimed at a person who isn't even running for president yet.

So here's another absurdity. There is no way on God's warming earth that the White House could have possibly "covered up" the fact of al Qaeda involvement had it been established early on and presented as a fact by the intelligence community. Republicans got briefings, classified briefings, attesting to the evidence that al Qeada-linked militants were ready to strike. The sources for that intelligence were sensitive at the time. But no matter: The briefings were accurate. Republicans knew. And indeed, they began to speak out almost immediately. And the White House, whatever it did and didn't do, was forced to clarify very quickly what it was able to say about the incident. Where is the means and opportunity for a cover-up?

Has anyone in the intelligence community blown the whistle on anyone in the administration for pushing back against the possible al Qaeda nexus because they were worried that people would think Obama was lying about having defeated and dismantled core al Qaeda?(By the way: He did do that, and Benghazi, and Boston, aren't evidence that he didn't. He never claimed that every single person ever influenced by or given money by core al Qaeda was dead and would forever be dead. In fact, he always made sure to say the opposite. But, again, facts. I mean, they just get in the way.)

There are plenty of intelligent criticisms of Obama's foreign policy. Today's Benghazi debate is the classic example of an unintelligent, fairly easy way out of actually engaging.

Level 4

Since: Apr 13

Orlando, FL

#901884 May 13, 2013
RealDave wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. That evil Katie trapped Palin by asking what she read. We all knew right whiners are too stupid to read. Katie should not have embarrassed Palin by asking a question that we ll knew she couldn't answer.
That was the most deliberate condescending question ever asked in any interview I'd ever seen.

Did Curic think Alaska was on another planet?

Palin should have, without missing a beat, turned the question back on Curic and said, "Oh, I don't know, the list is too long. Which ones do you read to stay current?"

Palin later said she bristled at the implication of the question and dodged it on purpose but that she should have just answered the question at the time.

I bristled and I wasn't even asked the question.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#901885 May 13, 2013
The Coming Attempt to Impeach Obama

The idea of impeaching Obama is industrial-strength insane.

Republicans do their base’s bidding, not America’s. How many times do you need to see them do this before you accept that it is the reality?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05...
Jimmy

Newington, CT

#901886 May 13, 2013
Scatterbrain propaganda/spam alert!
sonicfilter wrote:
Consider me as confused as Terrence Jeffries. The voluble conservative gadfly let it slip on Sean Hannity's radio program today that he really doesn't know what possible motivation the Obama administration would have for altering talking points about the Benghazi terrorist attack, or in forcing Hillary Clinton to go along with a conspiracy to somehow cover up something having to do with the death of four American diplomats and intelligence officers.
A few seconds earlier, Jeffries had described a statement that went out from the U.S. embassy in Egypt attempting to calm passions amid the firefight.(He directly attributed the statement to Hillary Clinton, but hey, why let facts get in the way?) Said Jeffries: "They need to explain that Sean. They haven't done it yet. The root of it is Hillary Clinton."
Hannity isn't quite ready to move on. "I think Hillary was running interference for Obama but I'm convinced that the talking points had to go through the re-election campaign that was located in the White House."
But Jeffries must make sure that the blame lies with Hillary Clinton; the buck must stop with her, because she's going to run for president in 2016, and Jeffries needs to raise money off of her, and he needs to begin to draw a caricature of her as uncaring, unfeeling, and willing to let four Americans die rather than face up to the fact of an al Qaeda renaissance.
"I don't know the motive for why they covered up," he admitted, after Hannity tried to shift the focus back to Obama's National Security Council.
Jimmy

Newington, CT

#901887 May 13, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
One of the reasons why Americans aren't outraged about Benghazi is that the event is a series of tragedies in search of a unifying explanation, and one that "Obama is evil" doesn't cover. Because really, to suggest that the Pentagon or the White House would deliberately — and yes, this is EXACTLY what Republicans are suggesting — prevent special operations forces from rescuing American diplomats BECAUSE they worried about the potential political blowback because they KNEW exactly who was behind it (al Qaeda) is —well, it is to suggest that Barack Obama is simply and utterly evil.
The umbrage that State Department officials who were in Libya take at the response of the bureaucracy is well-grounded. But I wonder what it feels like to have their understandable ire, their mourning and grief and anger, be harnessed to a partisan political gladiator fight that's aimed at a person who isn't even running for president yet.
So here's another absurdity. There is no way on God's warming earth that the White House could have possibly "covered up" the fact of al Qaeda involvement had it been established early on and presented as a fact by the intelligence community. Republicans got briefings, classified briefings, attesting to the evidence that al Qeada-linked militants were ready to strike. The sources for that intelligence were sensitive at the time. But no matter: The briefings were accurate. Republicans knew. And indeed, they began to speak out almost immediately. And the White House, whatever it did and didn't do, was forced to clarify very quickly what it was able to say about the incident. Where is the means and opportunity for a cover-up?
Has anyone in the intelligence community blown the whistle on anyone in the administration for pushing back against the possible al Qaeda nexus because they were worried that people would think Obama was lying about having defeated and dismantled core al Qaeda?(By the way: He did do that, and Benghazi, and Boston, aren't evidence that he didn't. He never claimed that every single person ever influenced by or given money by core al Qaeda was dead and would forever be dead. In fact, he always made sure to say the opposite. But, again, facts. I mean, they just get in the way.)
There are plenty of intelligent criticisms of Obama's foreign policy. Today's Benghazi debate is the classic example of an unintelligent, fairly easy way out of actually engaging.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#901888 May 13, 2013
What’s interesting, though, is that Americans aren’t, so far, eating up the #BENGHAZI scandal. There is some proof that months of conspiratorial coverage have made people aware that #BENGHAZI is a thing. There was a Fox poll with some very leading questions that found that 46 percent of registered voters think the Obama administration is “covering up” what happened in Benghazi. In December, a less leadingly worded CNN poll found that 56 percent of Americans think the administration didn’t deliberately mislead the public after the attacks. But on the whole, the majority of the public that doesn’t consume right-wing media hasn’t been hugely concerned. Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are both still broadly popular. In the Clinton era, I can’t help but feel, this would’ve been much huger, with the help of the non-partisan press.

The high-profile hearing might’ve changed things. More people probably believe in some form of the #BENGHAZI conspiracy today than did on Tuesday. But the mainstream press is basically aware of what the right is trying to do. Mike Huckabee gave the game away when he predicted that #BENGHAZI would lead to Obama’s impeachment. When Clinton was president, the right screamed and threw tantrums until he was impeached. They are not quite certain why that has not yet happened with Obama, but they are working on it.

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/09/gop_successfu...
Jimmy

Newington, CT

#901889 May 13, 2013
Oh Lookie here! The senile old sockpuppet is back.
Grey Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
Just listening to the daily misery from the un-American twisted righties warms my heart. What a pathetic band of twisted misfits.
Jimmy

Newington, CT

#901890 May 13, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
The Coming Attempt to Impeach Obama
The idea of impeaching Obama is industrial-strength insane.
Republicans do their base’s bidding, not America’s. How many times do you need to see them do this before you accept that it is the reality?
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05...
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#901891 May 13, 2013
Jimmy wrote:
<quoted text>
thanks for reinforcing that point.
sonicfilter

Indianapolis, IN

#901892 May 13, 2013
What The Handling Of Jason Richwine Says About Conservatism

Richwine's resignation allows him to become a scapegoat for an ideology that is still perfectly acceptable inside the conservative movement and the right-wing media. If Richwine's focus on the IQs of Hispanic populations is unacceptable, then so is Charles Murray's focus on the African American community. So are those of the godfather of the entire anti-immigrant movement John Tanton, who "wrote a paper titled The Case for Passive Eugenics."

Rush Limbaugh defended Richwine's racial tests on his program, proclaiming: "So, now it's trash the messenger time." He went on to say "You're not suppose to bring that kind of stuff up. You're not suppose to talk about it. It's not politically correct, even if it's true. You're not suppose to bring it up."

Michelle Malkin attacked those who dare point to the fundamentally racist nature of Richwine's dissertation. writing at Townhall.com : "The smug dismissal of Richwine's credentials and scholarship is to be expected by liberal hacks and clown operatives."

Richwine resigned after doing the job he was hired to do and for views his employer must have known him to hold. He was the most junior member of the group of conservative researchers who have spent their careers producing questionable studies about race. And because he was the lowest in the hierarchy he was the easiest to cast aside.

Charles Murray is right. This move lacked integrity, for that would require a widespread condemnation of the flawed racial theories peddled in the conservative movement and the "respected" think tanks such as the American Enterprise Institute that allow them to flourish. I doubt that is forthcoming, making Heritage's decision to accept Jason Richwine's resignation an act of craven political cowardice.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/05/13/what-...
WOW

Bronx, NY

#901893 May 13, 2013
OBAMA DID HIS BEST; Mass Poverty, Social Inequality and the Thirdworldization of America Center for Economic and Policy Research co-director Dean Baker calls poverty America’s “new growth industry.” The state of today’s America is deplorable.

In his latest May 3 analysis, economist John Williams said “April “employment and unemployment data were nonsense: the economy remains in serious trouble.”

About 23% of Americans wanting work can’t find it. Most jobs are temp or part-time low pay/poor or no benefit service ones with no futures. Conditions are getting worse, not better.

Federal, state and local government jobs were lost. Construction shed 6,000 jobs. Zero manufacturing jobs were created. Most good ones are overseas. They’ve been offshored to low-wage countries.

Economist David Rosenberg called April a “potemkin payroll report. Where’s the income hiding,” he asked? Average wage-based income declined 0.4%. It was the biggest drop since last October.

Market analyst Graham Summers discussed “a truly horrible economic reality” beneath April’s headline job numbers. The average workweek declined by 0.2 hours. The average manufacturing workweek was down 0.3%.

Fewer overall hours worked subtracts 15 minutes per week. Applied to private sector employment, it’s “the equivalent of over 21 million work hours lost in one month.”

It’s the biggest decline since April 2009. At that time, the economy was “absolutely imploding. It’s numerical equivalent of firing 718,000+ people.”

It’s how companies begin dealing with downturns.“They don’t start laying people off en masse….they start cutting work hours bit by bit.”

Mass layoffs arrive during “full-blown recessions. The first stage “is already happening.” Clear signs show it.

Markets are euphoric. They’re hitting new highs. Economic contraction is ignored. It happened in 2000 and 2008. Warning signs look ominously like earlier.

Peter B. Edelman co-directs Georgetown University’s Center on Poverty, Inequality, and Public Policy. He calls “low-wage work” in America “pandemic.”

America “descended into poverty,” said Paul Craig Roberts. Growing millions struggle to get by. Many are “one medical problem or lost job away from homelessness.”

Some colleges and universities offer adjunct professorships. They pay “$10,000 per year or less.” Education was once “touted as the way out of poverty.” Increasingly it reflects it. So do military enlistments. They’re a desperate way to find work.
WOW

Bronx, NY

#901894 May 13, 2013
OBAMA WALL STREET BAILOUT was nothing but REAGANOMICS TRICKLE DOWN ECONOMIC IN THE END THATS ALL SAVE BIG BUSINESS AND EVERYTHING TRICLES DOWN JUST WITH A BLACK FACE AND BLACK SUPPORT NO PROTEST America’s wealth disparity is deplorable. The top 1% owns over half the nation’s wealth. The bottom 90% has a decreasing share. Social inequality defines today’s America. It’s unprecedented or close to it.

It matches or exceeds 19th century harshness. Protracted Depression conditions affect growing millions. Poverty, unemployment, homelessness and hunger approach record levels.

Socially destructive government policies bear full responsibility. Wealth and privilege alone matter. Ordinary households are sacrificed. Popular needs go begging.

Inequality is institutionalized. Around 100 million working age Americans are jobless. Most others are underemployed. Millions struggle to pay rent, service mortgages, cover medical bills, heat homes, and manage other daily expenses.

America’s 1% has more wealth than the bottom 95%. Income inequality is greater than in all other developed countries. Over three-fourths of Americans live from paycheck to paycheck.

Neoliberal harshness is policy. Bipartisan complicity force-feeds it. It’s institutionalized when vital aid is needed. Doing so wages financial war on millions.

Obama exceeds the worst of George Bush. He’s wrecking growing millions of households. He’s doing so to serve monied interests. They own him. Whatever they want they get.

Obama’s thirdworldizing America. He’s ideologically over-the-top. He’s waging war living standards. He’s targeting the nation’s social contract.

He’s dismissive of growing needs. He’s heading America for tyranny and ruin. He’s banana republicanizing it.

It’s already a kleptocracy. It’s run by corporate crooks. Bipartisan complicity lets them have things their way. Profits are privatized. Losses are socialized. Bankers are at the top of the pecking order.

Ordinary people are exploited. A democratic facade masks New World Order harshness. Its holy trinity is eliminating public services, predatory capitalism writ large, and cracking down hard on non-believers.
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#901895 May 13, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
Former Defense Secretary Robert Gates on Sunday defended the Obama administration over its handling of the deadly attack in Benghazi, Libya against a growing chorus of critics.
Gates, a Republican who was originally nominated to head the Pentagon by former President George W. Bush before being retained by President Barack Obama, backed the administration's response to the attack that left four Americans dead.
"Frankly, had I been in the job at the time, I think my decisions would have been just as theirs were," Gates said during an appearance on CBS' "Face the Nation." "We don't have a ready force standing by in the Middle East, and so getting somebody there in a timely way would have been very difficult, if not impossible."
Gates also dismissed the notion that the U.S. could have deployed a fighter jet to Libya in an effort to thwart the attackers, saying he would not have "approved sending an aircraft, a single aircraft, over Benghazi under those circumstances."
"It's sort of a cartoonish impression of military capabilities and military forces," Gates said. "The one thing that our forces are noted for is planning and preparation before we send people in harm's way, and there just wasn't time to do that."
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/r...
he did.
He also mentioned that many of Gaddafi's shoulder fired surface to air missiles remain unaccounted for and could present extreme danger for low flying aircraft.

That was an outstanding interview which extended into the second segment of FTN which btw is not available everywhere.
WOW

Bronx, NY

#901896 May 13, 2013
IT WOULD BE CRAZY IF OBAMAS IMAGE BECOMES THE IMAGE OF ENSLAVING AMERICANS THEY GONE PUT YOU BACK IN CHAINS Freedom’s fast disappearing. Inside the bubble, it’s paradise. Outside it’s dystopian hell. America never was beautiful. It’s worse than ever now in modern times.

Monied interests run things. Electoral politics doesn’t work. Washington is too pernicious, corrupt and dysfunctional to fix. Privilege is institutionalized. Beneficial social change isn’t tolerated. Police state harshness prevents it.

Force-feeding inequality defines immorality. It’s also destructive economics. America’s been declining for years. Private wealth is pitted against popular interests. It’s been winning for decades.

Younger generations are worse off than older ones financially. Wages haven’t kept up in real terms. High-paying jobs disappeared. Low-paying ones replaced them.

Deplorable social inequality exists. A race to the bottom continues. Future prospects look grim. America appears headed for what most of humanity faces.

At least 80% live on less than $10 a day. Over three billion people live on less than $2.50 a day. More than 80% live in countries where income disparity is increasing.

The poorest 40% of world population has 5% of global income. The bottom fifth has $1.5%. The top 20% has 75%.

According to UNICEF, 22,000 impoverished children die daily. They “die quietly in some of the poorest villages on earth, far removed from the scrutiny and the conscience of the world. Being meek and weak in life makes these dying multitudes even more invisible in death.”

An estimated 28% of children in developing countries are underweight, malnourished and/or stunted.

Tens of millions of impoverished children aren’t in school. At the start of the new millennium, nearly a billion people were illiterate.

Less than 1% of what’s spent on weapons globally can provide universal primary education.

Preventable infectious diseases claim millions of lives annually. Unsanitary water and lack of basic sanitation affect half the world’s population.

Diarrhea and other water-related illnesses claim at least 1.8 million child deaths annually.

Nearly half the population in developing countries, at any given time, experience water and/or sanitation related health problems.

Around one-third of children in developing countries have inadequate shelter. One in seven have no access to health care. Most with it get too little.

In 2003, 10.6 million children died before age five.

Rural areas account for 75% of people living on less than $1 dollar a day. About half the world’s population live in urban communities. In 2005, about one-third lived in slum conditions.

Around 1.6 billion people have no electricity. Billions lack basic necessities overall. It’s reflected in lower than average life expectancy, as well as high infant and child mortality rates.

America’s future may resemble what most of the world now faces. Its race to the bottom assures it for growing millions.

Force-fed austerity increases their numbers annually. Things keep getting worse, not better.

“fairtax.org”

Level 8

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#901897 May 13, 2013
An autonomous flying cat? Really?

KURZWEILAI.net

Google's self-driving car gathers nearly 1GN/second

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 13 min Miles 17,704
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 24 min Miles 70,590
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 42 min mary from new yawk 490,136
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 1 hr Anne 96,617
Review: Global Motorwerks LLC (Aug '13) 12 hr Melanie 7
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 15 hr kal 49,174
Scott Mansfield granted new trial (Feb '09) 23 hr Whoah 32
Orlando Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando

Personal Finance