Barack Obama, our next President

"The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep," Obama cautioned. Young and charismatic but with little experience on the national level, Obama smashed through racial barriers and easily defeated ... Full Story

Level 1

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#841644 Jan 18, 2013
maddmaxx7 wrote:
<quoted text>
NOt one of my favorite presidents, FDR could never have foreseen we could come down to less than 3 workers per retiree, he also couldn't have predicted life spans being extended by roughly 15-20 years.
Let's all tip our hats to the health nazis[mostly dems] who hounded smokers to quit, thus increasing the number of retirees living much longer.
I suspect FDR was dead when all the raises and shenanigans were done.
What FDR didn't forsee was Roe vs. Wade, he thought that the U.S. would continue to propagate not stagnate.
liberals are idiots

Nashville, NC

#841645 Jan 18, 2013
If keeping guns out of the hands of criminals were as easy as outlawing certain categories of guns or ammunition or more thorough background checks, then it seems that all of the existing gun laws would have been more effective at reducing gun violence and that cities with the strictest gun laws, like Washington DC and Chicago, would be among our safest. They are not.

I have yet to see convincing evidence that more burdensome federal restrictions, like those being proposed by the President, will hit the target and reduce gun violence. I have seen studies suggesting that stricter gun laws disarm law-abiding citizens and make it easier for violent criminals to operate. But I’m open to reviewing new data if the President has some to offer after he’s done tweeting the most recent missive from an eight-year-old.

Let’s have a real conversation about the efficacy of gun laws, and what measures might prevent mass shootings and keep deadly weapons out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill. Yet let’s have that conversation as adults, and leave the children out of it.
liberals are idiots

Nashville, NC

#841646 Jan 18, 2013
Using Children To Pass Gun Laws Is Grotesque And Childish

Comment Now
Follow Comments
WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 16: U.S. President B...

President Barack Obama embraces Grant Fritz and other children who wrote letters to the White House about gun violence after Obama signed a series of executive orders about the administraton's new gun law proposals in the Eisenhower Executive Office building January 16, 2013 in Washington, DC.(Image credit: Getty Images via @daylife)

Parents are often asked by their children to solve unsolvable problems. When woken by nightmares, my daughter seeks reassurance that bad dreams won’t return when she closes her eyes again. I offer a fresh pillow, inviting her to think that somehow it will foster only happy visions.

If I cajoled them to, my kids could scratch out some tear-jerking pleas for the President to put an end to nightmares, lost stuffed animals, and illnesses of all kinds. Yet that really shouldn’t be the impetuous for nation-altering legislation. Grown-ups—including politicians—may have a duty to offer children reassurance after a trauma, but we cannot pretend that we have the power to wipe bad things out of existence.
Here's How The GOP Can Overcome Women's Trust Issues With Conservatives Carrie Lukas Carrie Lukas Contributor
Sandra Fluke Can Have 2012, Let's Celebrate Non-Coerced Giving In 2013 Carrie Lukas Carrie Lukas Contributor
Yes America, Your Fellow Citizens DO Abuse Federal Aid Programs Carrie Lukas Carrie Lukas Contributor
Is A "War On Women" The Best That President Obama Can Do? Carrie Lukas Carrie Lukas Contributor

Using children’s pleas to end violence is about the most grotesque rhetorical tool available to politicians. Our natural instincts are to want to shield children from life’s pain. Yet fixating on our desperate desire to protect children from harm distracts from the truly important, adult business of assessing what solutions are actually available.

So it is with the gun debate. As if the massacre of children in Newtown, Connecticut wasn’t emotional enough, the President is now posing with children and publicizing kids’ pleas for the government to take action to prevent gun crimes. The Administration’s messaging strategy is clear: If you care about children, then you’ll do what we say and support new regulations and restrictions. Never mind questions about whether there is any evidence that the new restrictions will actually disarm would-be killers. We have to do something. You are either with us and the children, or you are on the side of mentally-ill, child-murdering maniacs.

This is not an intelligent way to approach public policy.
liberals are idiots

Nashville, NC

#841647 Jan 18, 2013
Like many Americans, I’m no fan of guns. The first time I saw a real gun that wasn’t on a police officer or solider was in 2001 when I went skeet-shooting with my future husband’s grandfather. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed skeet-shooting, as well as how much my shoulder hurt from the shotgun’s kick-back. Years later, I went with my husband and some of his family to a firing range and shot a revolver. That wasn’t fun at all, it was terribly noisy, and I haven’t shot anything since.

I know only enough about guns to know that I know very little at all. I cannot imagine personally being comfortable enough with a gun to use one in self-defense, so guns scare me.

Yet just because I would never personally want to own or use a gun doesn’t mean that I have nothing at stake in the gun rights debate. I’m glad that there are women who know how to use guns and do so in their own defense. I want potential assailants not to assume that all women are helpless until the police arrive.

If keeping guns out of the hands of criminals were as easy as outlawing certain categories of guns or ammunition or more thorough background checks, then it seems that all of the existing gun laws would have been more effective at reducing gun violence and that cities with the strictest gun laws, like Washington DC and Chicago, would be among our safest. They are not.

I have yet to see convincing evidence that more burdensome federal restrictions, like those being proposed by the President, will hit the target and reduce gun violence. I have seen studies suggesting that stricter gun laws disarm law-abiding citizens and make it easier for violent criminals to operate. But I’m open to reviewing new data if the President has some to offer after he’s done tweeting the most recent missive from an eight-year-old.

Let’s have a real conversation about the efficacy of gun laws, and what measures might prevent mass shootings and keep deadly weapons out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill. Yet let’s have that conversation as adults, and leave the children out of it.

Carrie Lukas is the managing director of the Independent Women’s Forum.

sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#841648 Jan 18, 2013
liberals are idiots wrote:
Using Children To Pass Gun Laws Is Grotesque And Childish
Comment Now
Follow Comments
WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 16: U.S. President B...
President Barack Obama embraces Grant Fritz and other children who wrote letters to the White House about gun violence after Obama signed a series of executive orders about the administraton's new gun law proposals in the Eisenhower Executive Office building January 16, 2013 in Washington, DC.(Image credit: Getty Images via @daylife)
Parents are often asked by their children to solve unsolvable problems. When woken by nightmares, my daughter seeks reassurance that bad dreams won’t return when she closes her eyes again. I offer a fresh pillow, inviting her to think that somehow it will foster only happy visions.
If I cajoled them to, my kids could scratch out some tear-jerking pleas for the President to put an end to nightmares, lost stuffed animals, and illnesses of all kinds. Yet that really shouldn’t be the impetuous for nation-altering legislation. Grown-ups—including politicians—may have a duty to offer children reassurance after a trauma, but we cannot pretend that we have the power to wipe bad things out of existence.
Here's How The GOP Can Overcome Women's Trust Issues With Conservatives Carrie Lukas Carrie Lukas Contributor
Sandra Fluke Can Have 2012, Let's Celebrate Non-Coerced Giving In 2013 Carrie Lukas Carrie Lukas Contributor
Yes America, Your Fellow Citizens DO Abuse Federal Aid Programs Carrie Lukas Carrie Lukas Contributor
Is A "War On Women" The Best That President Obama Can Do? Carrie Lukas Carrie Lukas Contributor
Using children’s pleas to end violence is about the most grotesque rhetorical tool available to politicians. Our natural instincts are to want to shield children from life’s pain. Yet fixating on our desperate desire to protect children from harm distracts from the truly important, adult business of assessing what solutions are actually available.
So it is with the gun debate. As if the massacre of children in Newtown, Connecticut wasn’t emotional enough, the President is now posing with children and publicizing kids’ pleas for the government to take action to prevent gun crimes. The Administration’s messaging strategy is clear: If you care about children, then you’ll do what we say and support new regulations and restrictions. Never mind questions about whether there is any evidence that the new restrictions will actually disarm would-be killers. We have to do something. You are either with us and the children, or you are on the side of mentally-ill, child-murdering maniacs.
This is not an intelligent way to approach public policy.
Fox Contributor Attacks Obama For "Exploiting" Kids While Endorsing The NRA Using The President's Children

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/01/16/fox-c...
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#841649 Jan 18, 2013
Should the NRA Gun Ad Mentioning President Obama’s Children Be Pulled?

Megyn Kelly noted,“Obviously the president’s children are in a special circumstance. They are under threat at all times, sadly, because they are the children of the president of the United States.”

Kelly questioned,“I don’t know that we should be discussing the security situation of the Obama girls. But now we are because this ad — and I understand the point they’re trying to make,[…] but is it appropriate to talk about the security that these two little girls have?”

Fox News contributor Julie Roginsky called the NRA’s actions “reprehensible” for dragging them into this issue and putting their whereabouts into public discussion. She called for the NRA to pull the ad and said,“This is leading us down a slippery horrible slope which I believe will probably endanger these girls more than they’re endangered already.”

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/01/16/should-t...
carol

Orlando, FL

#841650 Jan 18, 2013
Mitt Wrongney wrote:
<quoted text> until you have proof of what you have read is true you have no argument carol to back up more of your lies, go to sleep.
One man's truths are another man's lies.

What can I say?

You see things through a different lens.
liberals are idiots

Nashville, NC

#841652 Jan 18, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
Fox Contributor Attacks Obama For "Exploiting" Kids While Endorsing The NRA Using The President's Children
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/01/16/fox-c...
The NRA is right and they have
made a big point!Obama is taking the freedoms away from good people
who obey the law and giving guns to Outlaws!He does not give a damn about WE THE PEOPLE KIDS!He has 24/7 protection around him and his
kids with body guards that have guns and i think he should!However
WE THE PEOPLE should have the same RIGHTS!

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Level 8

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#841651 Jan 18, 2013
lily boca raton fl wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, yes, and then they begin to realize that they can't just pander to the rich old white guys; they have to embrace the Latinos!
Then Ann Coulter goes into her rant about how they're all nitwits, lazy and on welfare!! Keep talking! They can't help themselves; they are what they are and as Rachel Maddow said, let them believe that it was because of a hurricane!
The R party is done!!
If the Republicans want to shoot themseelves in the foot they may do so with my blessings!
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#841653 Jan 18, 2013
"need guns to protect ourselves from the government" crowd:

Remember when conservatives used to say, "America, love it or leave it"? When just about any protest coming from somewhere else along the ideological spectrum was cause to question that person's loyalty and love of country? Ah yes. Those were the days.

But now, after decades of positioning government as the enemy, the more recent rise of Tea Party populism, and the prospects of a two-term Democratic president, some on the right find themselves in rather a different place. Instead of impugning the loyalties of others for their perceived lack of patriotism, they are left to employ a sort of situational patriotism all their own.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/anson-kay...

....If you only love America when it agrees with you, that isn't love at all. It's a kind of situational patriotism that says more about you than fidelity to your country. Makes one yearn for a time when patriotism was made of sterner stuff.
forks_make_us_fa t

Oklahoma City, OK

#841654 Jan 18, 2013
Fiscal cliff???

Help for 47%'ers.....create a committee or...better yet-a council!

Obama's job council marks year without official meeting!!!

http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar...
forks_make_us_fa t

Oklahoma City, OK

#841655 Jan 18, 2013
Fiscal cliff?

Help the 47%''ers!!!!!!

Raise taxes on romneys umderwear!

Meanwhile....

US prisoners...

Filed $758m in fradulent tax rerurns!!!

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/17/pf/taxes/pris...
Realtime

Deltona, FL

#841656 Jan 18, 2013
In other news the new Ford Fusion Energi, a plug-in hybrid offers up to 100 mpg with a 620 mile cruising range.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#841657 Jan 18, 2013
liberals are idiots wrote:
<quoted text>The NRA is right and they have
made a big point!Obama is taking the freedoms away from good people
who obey the law and giving guns to Outlaws!He does not give a damn about WE THE PEOPLE KIDS!He has 24/7 protection around him and his
kids with body guards that have guns and i think he should!However
WE THE PEOPLE should have the same RIGHTS!
Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/07-290....

seems you nutjobs don't know who interprets the constitution.

but i can assure you it's not right wing nutjobs.

all this talk of the Constitution is waste of time. you should be more worried about what happens when an assault weapons ban hits the court....

From Blackstone through the 19th-century cases, commentators and courts routinely explained that the right was not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.

and the court is out on a precedent changing limb with that one.

....Handguns are ok to carry because they're not “dangerous and unusual weapons.”....

you guys(peeps who don't really care anyway, but just like to make noise about government) are screwed.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#841659 Jan 18, 2013
The States Confront Gun Violence

State lawmakers in Wyoming didn’t need to hear President Obama’s gun-control proposals on Wednesday in order to attack them. A week ago, before the White House had even decided what actions to take, Republicans introduced a bill in the Wyoming Legislature to block any federal limitation on firearms, such as an assault weapons ban. A federal agent seeking to enforce such a ban would be guilty of a felony and face five years in prison.

.... There’s no point in telling these fanatics that federal gun restrictions are completely constitutional, even under the Supreme Court’s latest interpretation of the Second Amendment, or that federal law pre-empts state law. They already know these bills will be unenforceable. They are merely legislative fist-shaking, letting pro-gun voters know that lawmakers share their antipathy to the Obama administration, and signaling to the National Rifle Association and other gun-manufacturing lobbies that they are worthy recipients of rich political contributions.

Already, states like these have done enormous damage to public safety by acceding to the N.R.A.’s demands for laws that are anything but symbolic. The gun lobby hasn’t been content with the ability of Americans to lawfully possess hundreds of millions of handguns and assault rifles. It wants gun owners to be able to carry these weapons anywhere they want, even among children, concealed or displayed, and preferably without the annoyance of permits, background checks, or safety precautions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/18/opinion/the...
carol

Orlando, FL

#841658 Jan 18, 2013
PDUPONT wrote:
<quoted text>
You're full of crap as usual Carol. The reason both countries were opposed to the war was that they knew the ultimate costs involved in occupying other countries in both treasure and lives. France was especially cognizant of the folly of engaging in an occupation of a Muslim country following their war in Algeria.
German intelligence was also aware that the Bush administration was relying on information of unreliable sources and fabricators including Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi aka "Curveball" who admitted that he lied about Iraq's WMD.
www.independent.co.uk › News › World › World Politics
The United Nations didn't lie about anything pea brain and the CIA was unable to verify claims of WMD because they didn't exist.
The only one lying here is you.
Iraq bought 9.2 percent of its imports from West Germany. Italy and France each accounted for about 7.5 percent.

Brazil was the main destination of Iraqi exports, accounting for 17.7 percent of the total. France was second with 13 percent, followed by Italy with 11 percent.

http://countrystudies.us/iraq/68.htm

Union-Tribune San Diego - French, German and Russian opposition to the war in Iraq was not based on some high-minded principle or another.

It was all about Iraqi dinars. They had huge investments in Saddam's regime. And they did not want the United States to oust him from power until they were repaid.

Indeed, France was owed $3 billion by Saddam; Germany $2.4 billion. Russia was owed $3.4 billion and claimed a whopping $52 billion in pending contract obligations with Baghdad.

Little wonder Paris, Berlin and Moscow were not especially concerned that Saddam had brazenly flouted U.N. Security Council Resolution 1441.

http://www.utsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040820/...

Either you believe it or you don't. But I would suggest doing a little more research before confirming or denying it.
forks_make_us_fa t

Conway, AR

#841660 Jan 18, 2013
Fiscal cliff???

Poor 47%'ers need mommy govviement to provide....
Necessaties of life!!!!

Meanwhile...

Dulles closed to accomadate private jets bring rich to see obammie swear in!!!!

http://www.wtop.com/...
RUSH10ME

Hayes, VA

#841661 Jan 18, 2013
sonicfilter wrote:
<quoted text>
Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited.
seems you nutjobs don't know who interprets the constitution.
but i can assure you it's not right wing nutjobs.
all this talk of the Constitution is waste of time. you should be more worried about what happens when an assault weapons ban hits the court....
From Blackstone through the 19th-century cases, commentators and courts routinely explained that the right was not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.
and the court is out on a precedent changing limb with that one.
....Handguns are ok to carry because they're not “dangerous and unusual weapons.”....
you guys(peeps who don't really care anyway, but just like to make noise about government) are screwed.
OUR KIDS AND GRAND KIDS AND THEIR KIDS AND THEIR KIDS ARE SCREWED THANKS TO IDIOTS LIKE OBAMA.
sonicfilter

Fishers, IN

#841663 Jan 18, 2013
RUSH10ME wrote:
<quoted text>OUR KIDS AND GRAND KIDS AND THEIR KIDS AND THEIR KIDS ARE SCREWED THANKS TO IDIOTS LIKE OBAMA.
Is Barack Obama a Republican Realist?

His foreign policy recalls George H.W. Bush—and his domestic policy could be Ike's or Nixon's.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articl...

idiots like Obama?

“fairtax.org”

Level 8

Since: Dec 08

gauley bridge wv

#841662 Jan 18, 2013
A show on the H2 channel I recommend you watch.

How William Shatner Changed The World

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 1 hr zazz 96,522
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr grave digger 47,501
Jodi Arias: Does the state have the goods to co... (Mar '13) 1 hr Mary NY 25,896
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 2 hr Liz Spector 17,711
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 2 hr bunner 488,758
5000 post wins (Feb '13) 5 hr Concerned_American 4,181
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 7 hr Murph 70,503
Orlando Dating
Find my Match

Orlando Jobs

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando

Personal Finance