My Word: Ban driving while texting

Full story: Orlando Sentinel
During the 2008 legislative session several bills were introduced to eliminate the practice of driving while texting. Full Story
ut oh

Orlando, FL

#1 Apr 10, 2009
Only when a congressman's son or daughter is killed by someone who was texting will the laws be changed.

Big Telecom paid lobbyists to make sure that if someone caused an accident while talking on the cell phone it would be documented as "wreckless driving" with no mention of cell phone use. Why? They wanted to prevent people from taking statistics. Why? Because Big Telecom knows that talking/texting while driving is deadly, which would lead to restricted use, which would = falling profits.

“look up and laugh”

Level 9

Since: Jun 08

guess, where

#2 Jul 20, 2013
Should be a ticket....$100 the first time.

$500 plus 50 hrs commuity service the second.

30 days .no driving plus $500 the third.

Level 9

Since: Sep 11

Weeki Wachee, Florida

#3 Jul 20, 2013
It is banned in many states or soon will be. Unfortunately, Florida is not one of them yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texting_while_dr...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 14 min Nuculur option 1,115,497
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 16 min Hey baby 47,061
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 24 min EXECUTE KID KILLE... 488,289
FL Who do you support for Attorney General in Flor... (Oct '10) 1 hr Go Blue Forever 2,144
New Game ***Last Word + 2 (Oct '11) 2 hr covcas 11,952
Hotel demolition: Colony Plaza Hotel meets its ... (May '09) 2 hr abbey 23
Bishop Conley to Catholics in medicine: strive ... 3 hr Mychihuahuawillbite 1
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 7 hr Bunner 96,466
Orlando Dating
Find my Match

Orlando Jobs

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando

Personal Finance