florida turnpike concessions contract

Posted in the Orlando Forum

First Prev
of 21
Next Last
george mason

Orlando, FL

#1 Mar 12, 2009
A 35 year contract is about to be signed for concessions on the Florida Turnpike. This will effect all toll paying Turnpike customers. There will be limited service on the turnpike (no tow trucks) Martin Petroleum who won the gas contract will have to cut about half of their staff. Areas USA won the food contract. They are in with another group that is paying the state to construct 595 in Miami as well as the Texas Turnpike. The FLorida Turnpike is downsizing operations with this . Nearly 1000 employees will be affected. There will be generic food on the Turnpike no more Starbucks......
dk ee

Orlando, FL

#2 Mar 12, 2009
Sounds like the unemployment numbers will rise before this is over and done with. What a shame.
nono

Port Salerno, FL

#3 Mar 13, 2009
no more fuel attendents no more tow trucks no more starbucks? sounds like I-95, well i guesse ill use 95 same thing just dont have to pay any more tolls =) i would continue the turnpike if they were to keep these thing but why pay for nothing? you will loose alot of travelers you may want to think about the loss of revenue that you will loose.
Tom Dumby

Hollywood, FL

#4 Mar 13, 2009
If y'all need air in your tires, a plug, windshield wipers, directions or help with your car...they'll have slush puppies, hot coffee and sandwiches, but no help. You will be on your own.

The tow trucks will be gone, too! Good luck waiting for one from the nearest town. Hint: don't get stuck between YeeHaw Junction and Orlando, as you'll be waiting a long, long time.

Check back on April 1st and see if any of the few remaining employees have any health insurance, let alone jobs.

Good shooting Florida Turnpike Enterprise, you've allowed Customer Service to be removed from a Customer Service, User Revenue driven major highway, in a Customer Service oriented Tourist State!

Personally, I can't wait to see the action take place at the Turnpike Service Plazas during Hurricane Season, as it will be quit the spectacle.

Again, Thank You Florida's Turnpike Enterprise (who quite appropriately picked April Fools Day) for the transition date.
Stephanie

Orlando, FL

#5 Mar 14, 2009
I am the secretary of Transportation on the Turnpike FDOT please do not call me to complain

Stephanie

Do not call Jim Ely either we are too busy selling the state out to Spain to take your calls.
TD Martin

Orlando, FL

#6 Mar 14, 2009
Martin Petroleum the fuel provider on the Turnpike is doing the best we can. We have finally agreed to stop selling Citgo gas after numerous complaints of us not being patriotic. Now we are going with a Spanish company and will have to lay off several people thats business the American way. The turnpike would like the entire operation computer run or at least robot run. Until that technology is in place we will keep a few warm bodies around. Areas USA is well known in Spain and South America and I am sure will have a few jobs available for the 700 HMS Host employees about to be tossed aside.....their headquarters are out of Miami. I am having trouble understanding their website...Are you not tired of paying $4.00 for coffee anyway???
Martin Petroleum Pompano
citizen bill

Orlando, FL

#7 Mar 14, 2009
If this is really happening why isn't there anything on the news?? The state is sure keeping it quiet. Guess they do not want the bad publicity that will follow. The employees of Host and Martin are being kept in the dark?? Not good.
manny in Miami

Orlando, FL

#8 Mar 14, 2009
Sounds like a good enough reason to bypass the Turnpike I mean its $22.00 for a car to Miami $80++ for our trucks now they are offering limited or no service??? I'll pass.
bussie

Orlando, FL

#9 Mar 14, 2009
I take a couple thousand kids down on school trips a year. I was always impressed at the fast service and friendly employee's on the Turnpike. They were sure good at getting through the lines of people. Next they will be charging to use the restrooms there you can bet on it. 95 to 1 4 from now on....
Ken A

Orlando, FL

#10 Mar 15, 2009
Was just at the Turkey Lake plaza last week no wonder everyone looked a litle stiff and miserable. Have been stopping there for years I enjoy the old time window cleaners at the filling station, I hear that is going by the wayside as well. All in the name of progress apparently the state is letting this spanish company build roads for them down in Miami I am sure this has been an influental move to decide this contract. It doesn't mean its right. Complain to the state while we have a chance.
Miguel

Orlando, FL

#11 Mar 15, 2009
So they are selling to a Spanish company if they do not downsize it will be business as usual. Have you been to one of their lobby shops its impossible to find someone who can understand you? What a rude bunch there and high prices lets wait and see what the new group offers us travelers.
Santiago

Orlando, FL

#12 Mar 15, 2009
Why is the HMS Host brain trust telling their employees nothing come on Edwin Fabian and crew let us know something about this.
Jules

Orlando, FL

#13 Mar 15, 2009
Turnpike traffic was down 9 percent last year and so far this year is 14 percent down.... looks like people are getting smarter already ....no more high prices....all the state is doing with this is lining their pockets why should the general public let the rich get richer??
Morris

Orlando, FL

#14 Mar 16, 2009
This is all tied up with a New World Order illuminati agenda...go back to sleep
HMS Employee

Fort Pierce, FL

#15 Mar 18, 2009
HMS BAILED!!!! I am so disappointed!
HMS Employee

Fort Pierce, FL

#16 Mar 18, 2009
HMS You should be ashamed on yourself you pulled out of the protest and screwed the employees that made you that 93million last year!!!!!!
Oil Can Man

Orlando, FL

#17 Mar 18, 2009
We Have what to be thankful first the sunpass CUTS jobs with that box of plastic on you windshield. Now pay them tolls and we are going to be rise the tolls in the further as we do away with customer service sorry can't check your oil am busy ring up sales. Sir can you help me I got a flat sorry not here we don't have customer service anymore I got to finish stock the coolers by the want buy a soda or bag of chips. What a great deal for the tourists and residents. Thanks Florida Turnpike Enterprise.
Julio

Orlando, FL

#18 Mar 18, 2009
Why should HMS Bailing dissapoint you... they can't fight the state. They underbid by 2 percent. Cheap ass place.
HMS EMPLOYEE

Orlando, FL

#19 Mar 18, 2009
Yes rather than fight the state and pay lawyers fees etc....they rolled over and played dead. So much for even decent service on the Turnpike. Host may have had high prices and some dumb ass workers to deal with but the new place will offer generic coffee burgers and lord knows what other garbage. 35 year deal with someone the Turnpike doesnt even know bet some money changed hands somewhere....
Bart in atlanta

Orlando, FL

#20 Mar 18, 2009
HMS out areas in same thing happened here in Atlanta. Host has old ideas ancient way of doing things and too many fat layers in their system. Lots of yes people who just do their jobs and shut up waiting 20 years to retire. No room for any creative ideas. Their shops are dull nothing new for years, buying system prehistoric. Food concepts outdated and priced way too high especially in this economy. Plus they are in financial trouble. Areas has tons of money sure its foreign but oh well. They have done a good job here in ATL fresh concepts bright and festive and strong management team not afraid to put themselves on the edge.Way to go Florida

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 21
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min San Souci 1,685,118
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 1 hr ANGHARAD 514,995
last post wins! (Jul '11) 11 hr Princess Hey 6,071
Word Association 2 (Jul '10) 11 hr Princess Hey 23,138
New Game ***Last Word + 2 (Oct '11) 11 hr Princess Hey 13,087
thank you st jude for prayers answered (Jul '07) Sun SSM 4
News Leader of Orlando-area motorcycle club assaulte... (Nov '07) Sun Nutz 770

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages