Teen's nudity bothers neighbor

Teen's nudity bothers neighbor

There are 63 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 31, 2007, titled Teen's nudity bothers neighbor. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Dear Abby: I have lived next door to the "Smiths" for 18 years. They're nice people.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
FLH

Dixon, IL

#1 Dec 31, 2007
LW1 - Gross! This neighbor goes into great detail about how 'there is no sign of arousal.' WTF?!? What are you looking at that for? How about you avert your eyes? I find it hard to believe that this kid just wanders around naked in front of his neighbors all the time. It sounds more like this busy-body is spending a lot of time looking out her window and into their kitchen. I'd be curious to know what 'The Smiths' think of this neighbor really, is she 'friendly and helpful' or a nosy busy-body who always has to know what is going on in their lives? If the biggest thing you have to worry about is a 16 year-old walking around in the nude, you need to get a hobby. No signs of arousal... seriously, I just threw up in my mouth.
Dienne

United States

#3 Dec 31, 2007
I've read and re-read LW1 and I can't seem to figure out how s/he know the boy's morning routine so intimately. The letter says they are next door neighbors, not across-the-street neighbors. So unless these houses have some funky room and window placements, how does the LW see into the window to know what's going on? And even if the windows are situated such that the LW can see in, why does s/he watch for such an extended time? Or does the LW spend significant amounts of time at the neighbor's house at 6:45 in the morning? If that's the case, I too would walk around naked in the hopes of getting rid of the intrusion!

Is Abby sure this letter isn't the Yale boys playing their pranks again? The comment "absolutely no signs of arousal" is also pretty suspicious.

ARW

Since: Dec 07

Chicago, IL

#4 Dec 31, 2007
I wonder if this concerned neighbor knows about the "peeping tom" law that goes into effect on Jan 1, 2008. I have to agree with everyone else. Why is she so concerned that he wasn't aroused while eating his bowl of cereal.......is it because she beacme aroused while peeping him?(sick)
lamartrotti

United States

#5 Dec 31, 2007
Dienne wrote:
I've read and re-read LW1 and I can't seem to figure out how s/he know the boy's morning routine so intimately. The letter says they are next door neighbors, not across-the-street neighbors. So unless these houses have some funky room and window placements, how does the LW see into the window to know what's going on? And even if the windows are situated such that the LW can see in, why does s/he watch for such an extended time? Or does the LW spend significant amounts of time at the neighbor's house at 6:45 in the morning? If that's the case, I too would walk around naked in the hopes of getting rid of the intrusion!
Is Abby sure this letter isn't the Yale boys playing their pranks again? The comment "absolutely no signs of arousal" is also pretty suspicious.
She knows exactly what time he strolls into the kitchen to make his breadfast, and she's there at her window and at the ready with her Polaroid taking pictures, for later on. She's just a dirty ole peeping Tomette. And she's loving it!
Mark

San Jose, CA

#6 Dec 31, 2007
I can't figure out why she would even bother to write in to Abby. She knows exactly what time he goes to eat his cereal in the nude. If it offended her so much, then she should CLOSE HER OWN BLINDS. Or make it a point to not look.

Or how about talking to the mom, and saying, I've noticed your son likes to walk around naked, don't you think that's kind of weird?

What did she expect to get out of this? Abby sides with her, and then she clips the article and "anonymously" slips it into the neighbor's mailbox? Wouldn't it have been evident exactly who wrote it, and who it referred to?

Sometimes I can't stand the passive-aggressive busybody readers that write in to Abby.
Anon

New York, NY

#7 Dec 31, 2007
From the letter:

"He's been nude in my presence dozens of times."

Now, if she's seeing him nude through the windows, I agree that it's her behavior that's inappropriate. But, if she stops by their house and he's naked, that's a bit different. Is she dropping in uninvited and happens to catch him first thing in the morning? Again, that would be inappropriate behavior on her part. But if she's dropping by invited for a reason (let's say a work or carpool), that's another story. He shouldn't be running around naked then. But I agree it's creepy she checked for signs of arousal, as opposed to averting her eyes.
Karla

United States

#8 Dec 31, 2007
The first letter makes NO sense.

Too many details just makes me think this is made up.

If HE/SHE is bothered and knows his schedule to the tee then WHY are they watching?

How would HE/SHE know about the state of his arousal unless they were watching for it.

Also, the way they make it sound they are at home when this kids does his routine. SO, you mean to tell me you wait in one part of your house with the window to the kitchen to watch his routine and you play close enough attention to see if he is aroused while eating breakfast and watching sports.

Any ways, to detail orientated.
He fixes a bowl of cereal (not breakfast) and watches morning sports (not watches TV)?

Something sounds made up here.
Long-time married

United States

#9 Dec 31, 2007
Karla wrote:
... you mean to tell me you wait in one part of your house with the window to the kitchen to watch his routine and you play close enough attention to see if he is aroused while eating breakfast and watching sports.
What do you want to bet she's got binoculars in her hands when she sees him?:)

I agree with the other posters. This sounds made up. I think the Yalies have struck again.
EEE

Chicago, IL

#10 Dec 31, 2007
Wait. I didn't hear about the Yale hoax.
Phoenician

Phoenix, AZ

#11 Dec 31, 2007
If LW is serious I will buy their house.
To paraphrase Meatloaf, you were doubly blessed - he was barley 16 and he was barely dressed.

Interestingly enough in the Dear Abby column in the Phoenix Republic they left out the part about not being aroused.

Since: Oct 07

New Lenox, Illinois

#12 Dec 31, 2007
FLH wrote:
LW1 - Gross! This neighbor goes into great detail about how 'there is no sign of arousal.' WTF?!? What are you looking at that for? How about you avert your eyes? I find it hard to believe that this kid just wanders around naked in front of his neighbors all the time. It sounds more like this busy-body is spending a lot of time looking out her window and into their kitchen. I'd be curious to know what 'The Smiths' think of this neighbor really, is she 'friendly and helpful' or a nosy busy-body who always has to know what is going on in their lives? If the biggest thing you have to worry about is a 16 year-old walking around in the nude, you need to get a hobby. No signs of arousal... seriously, I just threw up in my mouth.
I know! Once I read that part ("no signs of arousal") I couldn't really even take in the rest of the letter (no pun intended). What the?!?!?!?!?!
Dienne

United States

#13 Dec 31, 2007
EEE wrote:
Wait. I didn't hear about the Yale hoax.
Actually, it was Ann Landers, not Dear Abby, who used to claim that she was always harrassed by Yale students sending in fake letters, but she also claimed that she could always spot them. Whether or not Yale students actually did send in fake letters, and whether or not Ann was able to spot them, are both in contention. But if ever there were a contender for fake letter of the year, the first letter would be it.
EEE

Chicago, IL

#14 Dec 31, 2007
Dienne wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, it was Ann Landers, not Dear Abby, who used to claim that she was always harrassed by Yale students sending in fake letters, but she also claimed that she could always spot them. Whether or not Yale students actually did send in fake letters, and whether or not Ann was able to spot them, are both in contention. But if ever there were a contender for fake letter of the year, the first letter would be it.
Thanks.

And may I just add my own reaction to LW1, before I forget:

EW!
Tom

Wasco, IL

#15 Dec 31, 2007
The "concerned neighbor" sounds like a pervert. If he/she were really concerned, they would have talked privately to the parents at the first sighting. This is just gross. This new Dear Abby missed the boat on her response.
Russell

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Dec 31, 2007
How do you know that there is anything wrong with the "concerned neighbor?" We know nothing about her. One can, of course, guess, but the guesses are not necessarily correct.

It may be that her daily schedule is such that she is at her kitchen sink when the neighbor boy is walking around his kitchen nude, in which case she naturally would notice. Depending on how visible he it, it could be obvious to her whether or not he is arroused. If she has a negative attitude towards nudity, she might very well wonder just what the situation was. Even to me, it does seem a bit odd that he would be wondering around the house nude, but people don't all have the same attitudes so perhaps there isn't anything amis.

Only recently I have learned that over the last 25 or so years, attitudes towards nudity have changed. Until the late 70s or so, in high school gym classes, boys generally swam nude and weren't even permitted to wear swimming suits. The same was true at YMCAs when pools were reserved for men only; everyone was aware of it. Now, however, many people are unaware of that and can hardly believe that it ever happened.

In any case, we should give the woman the benefit of the doubt since we lack sufficient information to do more than guess.
jennifer

Batavia, OH

#17 Dec 31, 2007
I love the first post...I had a good belly laugh. Thank You!

I would not be surprised if LW1 was real because every street has their share of busy-bodies, but boy she takes the cake!
ummm

Lombard, IL

#19 Dec 31, 2007
Russell wrote:
Until the late 70s or so, in high school gym classes, boys generally swam nude and weren't even permitted to wear swimming suits.
Honey, somebody's been pulling your leg.

I went to high school in the 1950's, taught school in the 60's, had children in school in the 70's and 80's and I can GUARANTEE you that we/they ALL wore swimsuits in high school. The only time one might be momentarily nude would be in the locker room while changing into or out of said swimsuit. And even then, people stayed as covered as possible and learned to change clothes really really fast.
catso

Melrose Park, IL

#20 Dec 31, 2007
I went to Lane in the late 60's. Always nude swimming. All Chicago public schools had the same. Ask anyone who went to a Chicago public school. By thw way, the school contained 5500 boys back then.
J-Kat

United States

#21 Dec 31, 2007
Dienne wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember Ann referring to "you Yalies" in some of her letters back in the 60s.

Ann and Abby both have fallen for urban legends. Go to snopes.com and type in their names in the search slot and several stories pop up. They're funny, but totally bogus.

Since: Dec 07

Albuquerque

#22 Dec 31, 2007
Russell wrote:
Only recently I have learned that over the last 25 or so years, attitudes towards nudity have changed. Until the late 70s or so, in high school gym classes, boys generally swam nude and weren't even permitted to wear swimming suits.
Gee, Russell, I graduated in 1975. How the heck did I miss all the nude boy swimming?

Is Mrs. Russell the letter writer who is looking out the window?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Badjudgment 1,496,776
two words (Jul '10) 4 min Princess Hey 28,000
One Word (Jul '10) 6 min Princess Hey 2,510
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 14 min Rshermr 63,276
"word game" six word sentence (last letters) 1 hr Princess Hey 62
New Game ***Last Word + 2 (Oct '11) 1 hr Princess Hey 12,821
Double Fun Word Game (Mar '11) 1 hr Princess Hey 13,292
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 1 hr Murphey_Law 512,924

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages