'The flip' of school times really is ...

'The flip' of school times really is a moneysaver, audit finds

There are 164 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Apr 27, 2009, titled 'The flip' of school times really is a moneysaver, audit finds. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

It created angry parents, sleepy preteens and a mad dash by high-school students to get from sports to jobs in the afternoons.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
School Starts Soon

Spring, TX

#166 Aug 23, 2013
The elementary schools here start around 8 a.m. and the middle/jr schools start between 8:35 and 8:45 a.m. The high school kids need to be there at 7 a.m.
Allegedly, it is to prepare them to get up early for when they have a job.
Sometimes, things like a late bus that would run after tutoring was cut and parents had to pick up kids. Kids who live too close to the school might not get bus service. I'm not sure if they can walk or be driven down to a bus stop further out so they can ride the bus. It doesn't make sense to have kids walking to school in the dark. High school kids walk or get dropped off at fast food places in the a.m. and hang out there in the p.m. waiting for parents. I'm not sure why they even serve breakfast to high school kids who would rather get something out of the machines. There's a lot of waste in lunchrooms.
hey marce

Chula Vista, CA

#167 Aug 23, 2013
School Starts Soon wrote:
The elementary schools here start around 8 a.m. and the middle/jr schools start between 8:35 and 8:45 a.m. The high school kids need to be there at 7 a.m.
Allegedly, it is to prepare them to get up early for when they have a job.
Sometimes, things like a late bus that would run after tutoring was cut and parents had to pick up kids. Kids who live too close to the school might not get bus service. I'm not sure if they can walk or be driven down to a bus stop further out so they can ride the bus. It doesn't make sense to have kids walking to school in the dark. High school kids walk or get dropped off at fast food places in the a.m. and hang out there in the p.m. waiting for parents. I'm not sure why they even serve breakfast to high school kids who would rather get something out of the machines. There's a lot of waste in lunchrooms.
I didn't realize you work in a high school cafeteria.
Bed Head

Spring, TX

#168 Aug 24, 2013
You're not even warm, Hey Marce. In fact, you're freezing. Nice try.
No banana.
Babycakes

Spring, TX

#169 Aug 26, 2013
momcrev wrote:
Wow, we were going to move to florida but school here doesn't start until 9. I can't imagine trying to get them to school that early. Charlotte, NC starts school at some ungodly hour too. Some have to get the bus at 6 am. That's just not right.
you have to be at the bus stop at 6 a.m. to wait on an unpredictable bus if you ride the bus.
Most get driven.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Realtime 1,535,853
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 4 hr Eagle 12 462
News Deltona tops 90,000 residents in latest Census ... 5 hr Fitus T Bluster 1
News Research: Dropouts flee area schools (Oct '07) Wed Willieneal123 55
News Live updates: Universal Orlando's Volcano Bay w... Wed Cheryl Throne 1
News Wal-Mart bolsters area footprint with two new w... Wed Cheryl Throne 2
News Lockheed Martin Orlando unit seeks incentives t... Wed Cheryl Throne 1

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance