'The flip' of school times really is a moneysaver, audit finds

It created angry parents, sleepy preteens and a mad dash by high-school students to get from sports to jobs in the afternoons. Full Story
otown

San Juan, TX

#125 Apr 28, 2009
Just a clarification. This will not cut buss drivers it will cause us to hire additional drivers. The report is accurate as far as the fact that we will use more buses but It may not be accurate as far as how many. According to the transportation department estimates on the TTF website we may need an additional 103 drivers. The analysis did not completely check every route it was a quick basic analysis. Don't assume that the TTF is a waste many of the members really were trying to make a difference. Politics and personal agendas took over. look for the report 2008-2009 Transportation services on the site it details all the savings along with the cost to go back. flipping back like we did with out data is worse than the original flip. High school kids do better sleeping late.
bill

Douglas, MA

#126 Apr 28, 2009
Kaylee wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, as several teachers here have pointed out, there's less absenteeism in 1st period, and the students seem more alert. I guess we'd have to ask the teachers in 6-12 if they've seen an upward trend in students' overall grades. And much as I have issues with the FCAT, the scores might be able to tell us something.
Kaylee, are you realy asking school board officials to use solid data from FCAT scores in making decisions ? First I doubt some of the school board members could pass the test. They are obviously political hacks pandering to the many whinning parents who think k-12 education is entirely there for baby-sitting.

3.4 million lost for pandering to parents. Why is American education in trouble?- elected school boards.

Since: Oct 08

Orlando, FL

#127 Apr 28, 2009
Think a moment wrote:
Senitnel, the devil is in the details. Get a copy of that study and post it or a link to it on the OCPS website. You might find that apples were not always compared to apples. The savings is not as great as they tell you. When you read the report (I did) you see that equal comparisons were not always made.
Were dollars always compared to dollars?
Judgement Time

Orlando, FL

#128 Apr 28, 2009
Darryl Flynn said at the board meeting when this audit was approved that if the audit found the flip was saving money, she would bring up the issue of reversing to keep the flip. We will see if she keeps her word.
momcrev

Endicott, NY

#129 Apr 28, 2009
Wow, we were going to move to florida but school here doesn't start until 9. I can't imagine trying to get them to school that early. Charlotte, NC starts school at some ungodly hour too. Some have to get the bus at 6 am. That's just not right.
otown

San Juan, TX

#130 Apr 28, 2009
Darryl Can not bring it to the table even if she wanted to she voted against flipping it back only those who voted for the flip back or shall we call it the flop can bring it to the table. Roberts rules.
marcus

Denver, CO

#131 Apr 28, 2009
momcrev wrote:
Wow, we were going to move to florida but school here doesn't start until 9. I can't imagine trying to get them to school that early. Charlotte, NC starts school at some ungodly hour too. Some have to get the bus at 6 am. That's just not right.
You consider both 6am and 9am to be early? Just what time would you want school to start?
marcus

Denver, CO

#132 Apr 28, 2009
Judgement Time wrote:
Darryl Flynn said at the board meeting when this audit was approved that if the audit found the flip was saving money, she would bring up the issue of reversing to keep the flip. We will see if she keeps her word.
From what I've read, I'm not sure she can bring it up. She was in the minority, and supposedly only those in the majority can bring an issue up for reconsideration.
PORTNOY

Winter Haven, FL

#133 Apr 28, 2009
Technically you can't bring up the SAME motion, but you can change it a bit and make a NEW motion. Not an insurmountable obstacle.
reality check

Cocoa Beach, FL

#134 Apr 28, 2009
Saves money so just do it. Why is it that people are only willing to consider money saving options that don't impact their lives in anyway.... In there times everyone has to sacrifice a bit.
Looking for Morons

Winter Springs, FL

#135 Apr 28, 2009
Retort Report wrote:
I am so tired of having to listen to "non educators" tell me how to run a classroom or school. Just because you WENT to school doesn't mean you know the first thing about teaching or managing a school. Just because you MANAGE your employees doesn't mean you know a thing about teaching or managing a school. Just because I drove over a bridge on the way to work doesn't mean I know how to build a bridge.
THANK YOU! I am so over people thinking they know how to do a job just because they were there. "Well, I can tell you how to teach because I was a student." So? I was a visitor at Sea World who watched the show. Should I tell the killer whale trainers how to do their jobs?
churchlady

Orlando, FL

#136 Apr 28, 2009
Educators have to be the stupidist people on earth - wake up - everyone is cutting cost, and you pay someone to see the results from the school hour switch. Why not have one of the board members earn their salary and do the math? Enough overspending, free breakfast, lunch, bussing students from other schools...this all needs to stop, and some people with good common sense need to take over running the Orange County Public Schools.
Hello Wakeup

United States

#137 Apr 28, 2009
It is the idiots that were newly elected to the schoolboard that are the problem. NOT the people that actually run Orange County Public Schools. The Superintendent and his employees are fully qualified individuals. Transportation is not run by educators but by business minded people. So are many of the departments. The educators run the schools. It is a good mix of highly qualified individuals that make up the whole employee base. Then you have the aformentioned idiots on the school board. Therein lies the problem. All the decisions they are questioning were already hashed out prior to them coming. Vicki Bell and her fellow idiots are typical politicians....full of you know what!!
baby bathwater

Winter Haven, FL

#138 Apr 28, 2009
Hello Wakeup wrote:
It is the idiots that were newly elected to the schoolboard that are the problem. NOT the people that actually run Orange County Public Schools. The Superintendent and his employees are fully qualified individuals. Transportation is not run by educators but by business minded people. So are many of the departments. The educators run the schools. It is a good mix of highly qualified individuals that make up the whole employee base. Then you have the aformentioned idiots on the school board. Therein lies the problem. All the decisions they are questioning were already hashed out prior to them coming. Vicki Bell and her fellow idiots are typical politicians....full of you know what!!
Well said. The "elect me, I will flip the flip people" are a big flop. Especially Bell, who is probably the singularly most incompentent person ever to be elected in Orange County. But, people, you voted for them, so accept responsibility and PAY MORE ATTENTION NEXT TIME.
Skip the Flip

Winter Park, FL

#139 Apr 28, 2009
If OCPS FCAT scores go down--do we get rid of the flip--end of discussion?

Since: Oct 08

Orlando, FL

#140 Apr 28, 2009
churchlady wrote:
Educators have to be the stupidist people on earth - wake up - everyone is cutting cost, and you pay someone to see the results from the school hour switch. Why not have one of the board members earn their salary and do the math? Enough overspending, free breakfast, lunch, bussing students from other schools...this all needs to stop, and some people with good common sense need to take over running the Orange County Public Schools.
Just what are they overspending on?
Not busing students would cost MORE.
Not offering meals to students would cost MORE.
churchlady

Orlando, FL

#141 Apr 29, 2009
Are you Ronald Blocker?
Liberals Are Crazy wrote:
<quoted text>
Just what are they overspending on?
Not busing students would cost MORE.
Not offering meals to students would cost MORE.

“Breaking news!!!”

Since: Apr 08

Where I live today.

#142 Apr 29, 2009
Liberals Are Crazy wrote:
<quoted text>
Were dollars always compared to dollars?
Dollars compared to dollars...ok! Look the only thing in that report that matches is dollars. The data is skewed for the current climate we are in. Now the board members who voted for the 'flop' have a tool to take to their constituents to justify revoting in favor of the 'flip'.

The flip/flop was never the answer in the beginning. Reworking the bus routes, and lobbying the state to get the distance extended when a bus is needed, should have been the boards focus. Want to see a study show a savings? See how much money could be saved by extending the middle and high school distances by 1/2 mile and 1 mile respectively.
No flipback

Orlando, FL

#143 Apr 29, 2009
OCPS is calling wrote:
Hey Tiger,
When Jone HS is not a "F" school then you can opine!
Jones High School is NOT an F school. Do your homework.
No flipback

Orlando, FL

#144 Apr 29, 2009
TigerTchr wrote:
<quoted text>
It's Jones with an "s," thank you, and we are not an F school. The Sentinel has an interactive database that will enable you to verify as much. In fact, we are one of only nine schools in the district to make Newsweek's list of the top public high schools in the country based on their challenge index, which measures how many students are taking Advanced Placement courses.
When you do your homework and get your facts straight, then *you* may opine.
Fantastic reply! Made me proud of you, and of Jones!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 11 min MonaLittleMore 490,129
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 39 min shinningelectr0n 1,153,060
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 2 hr Vic 96,609
Review: Global Motorwerks LLC (Aug '13) 8 hr Melanie 7
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 11 hr kal 49,174
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 13 hr Miles 70,587
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 15 hr Miles 17,702
Orlando Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info