Unemployment benefits in Florida: Questions and answers

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

With Florida's jobless rate topping 8 percent, workers who are unemployed or on the verge of losing their jobs have many questions about applying for unemployment benefits.
Comments
401 - 420 of 441 Comments Last updated Jun 10, 2014
RickyTicky

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2012

Hi everyone

I appled a couple weeks ago and I got a letter that says I qualifiy for 275 a week and that I have to " claim" my weeks and create a pin.

So I did that on the website..........now what happens? When do I get money and am I approved? I'm a full time single dad of two with a deadbeat mom who won't pay court ordered support so it's important to me

Thx

Since: Jan 12

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2012

Judged:

fl ex pat wrote:
Why bother applying? AWI will simply lie and screw you out of your benefits you rightfully earned because they are nothing but a bunch of racist liars. And their 'ALJs' are too 'tarded to get a regular job. Also a bunch of liars and incompetents.
Evidently, those 'tards' have more on the ball than you do.......they have a job wwhile you bitch about them and wonder where your check is for not working. what is an alj, anyways? Why would they " lie' to you? GET a job, idiot

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2012

Judged:

Florida Unemployed wrote:
Dear Sir or whoever,
I wanted to Thank you for stopping my unemployment check.
Now I will be able to have that special house we have always wanted. If you would like to come to dinner some evening it is located on EAST STREET and you can't miss it, it is the only CARDBAORD BOX there. I am sorry that you will have to bring your own dinner but as a good note there is a dumpster just down the street that I use and there is plenty of good food there and it is cheap. I also wanted to thank you for creating all these jobs out there, there are so many jobs that I can't seem to qualify for any of them.
Also I appreciate the way you have treated me and all the other Vietnam Vets. We have served our country and this is what we get.
Thanks Again,
Dear Idiot. You have an internet connection and all evidence points to you owning a computer since you took the time to post your idiotic ramblings. If your truly a vet go to the damn Ver offic and they will take care of you and you know it. Thank you for not citributing to our economy by refusing to work and adding to the national deficit by laying around collecting benefits and bitching about it. Thanks again, see you next week when you get your chekc. Idiot.

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2012

southpole wrote:
Like I said the only thing keeping me in the US is my kids and family members. My husband is a Uk citizen and will never become an American. Why would he want to? After 10 years as a married couple here then we may go back . By then my kids will be well on their way to their mid 20's and mom may be gone though I hope not! If the world does not end in 2012 lol j/k that would be around 2018!
I hope you and your inbred Elgish children are in the UK. Idiot

“Home of the Mermaids”

Level 8

Since: Jun 11

Weeki Wachee, Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2012

Judged:

bonus thread
james

Fort Pierce, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2012

Judged:

JULIO wrote:
My brother need monies but they say no because he does not have social secruity numbers. This is a way the the US discrimnate against immigrants! He paid the tax but because he not citizen he get no help. This racist don't you see?
thats bull. that statement makes me laugh.. what part of illegal immigrant don't you understand, not to say you don't belong here but you are not entitled to any thing.. i can't get any kind of help but i can walk in to the welfare office and see 30 illegal immigrants getting section 8, food stamps, medicaid and a monthly check from government assistance, but as a white 30 year old male with a wife and a kid on the way i can't get shit and now i am getting a notice saying i might not even get my unemployment.. you wanna be here learn english and become legal... and thats just for spanish speak people, that goes for every one who wants to come to this country. i am tired of being turned down jobs because i don't know spanish....
Rob

Windermere, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2012

Judged:

Kilroy,

As one who made $125,000 per year at a local corporation as an electrical engineer in Orlando, the worst thing for me to be is unemployed. Averaging $2k+ per week and getting $275 is no bundle of joy. There is nothing magical about getting unemployment to tide you over until you find a new job.

Folks like Kilroy really don't understand the job market
Kilroy wrote:
hahahaha , most people STAY on unemployment until it magically runs out... then they magically find a job , also people file for it even though they willfully quit and most times they get it... its the employer who gets screwed.
class

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2012

I had a hearing for a appeal yesterday, the decision has already been made. Is this a good sign for me or a bad one in the state of florida?
Quite Frankly

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2012

Rob wrote:
Kilroy,
As one who made $125,000 per year at a local corporation as an electrical engineer in Orlando, the worst thing for me to be is unemployed. Averaging $2k+ per week and getting $275 is no bundle of joy. There is nothing magical about getting unemployment to tide you over until you find a new job.
Folks like Kilroy really don't understand the job market
<quoted text>
The magical thing about making $125K/yr in cheap-ass Orlando is that you were in a position to build up a hefty emergency fund to carry you until you find your next jox, which as an experienced electrical engineer shouldn't be too long off. Save the sappy living on $275/week unemployment checks ruse for those that really need it and didn't have that ability to save up an emergency fund and whose job skills just got taken over by automation or someone overseas.
blowmeanyways

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2012

class wrote:
I had a hearing for a appeal yesterday, the decision has already been made. Is this a good sign for me or a bad one in the state of florida?
bad very bad. you have 0 chance because you have 0 chance. you gonna have to geta job bro
Hector

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2012

If I quit my job could I still be eligible for unemployment benefits?
cyndi

Sebring, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2012

Is being homeless and having to move in with family members 4 hours away a good enough reason to get unemployment for having to quit your job???
Teacher

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2012

I had a temp job that ends in two days when do I file ?
American

Naples, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2012

JULIO wrote:
My brother need monies but they say no because he does not have social secruity numbers. This is a way the the US discrimnate against immigrants! He paid the tax but because he not citizen he get no help. This racist don't you see?
No Mexicans should not be in this country to start.
No social security card no monies mahn.
Governors helpline

Port Orange, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2012

http://customerservicenumbers.com/co-food-sta...

http://www.flgov.com/contact-gov-scott/email-...

If everyone who is pissed off would call the governors citizens helpline
Eight five zero-four eight eight-seven one four six

Call everyday,they will start doing something,sitting on your couch not voicing your pain isnt helping.a blog doesnt do anything.

Get some balls and call i did and rectifyed situation in one day.
Yeah AWI,food assistance sucks,the pheone reps suck..but blue collar middle class need to band together and get active or shit will stay the same as always been.they are fast to take our tax dollar but when we fall on hard times it takes weeks/months to get unemployment/food asst.why?
Why is there a waiting week? Why does there need to be?
Why isnt there a food stamp office like in other states like a dmv,go there get SNAP CARD for food same day? Why? Because YOU dont ask questions!!!!!!!
Governors helpline

Port Orange, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2012

kelly

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

Conservative Republican wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's what I see: You and your brother are likley in the USA illegally. For that you expect to receive benefits? Are you crazy? You're lucky ICE can't read or they'd deport you and your brother's illegal butt.
first of all it's their own business if their legal or not... Alot of illegals pay taxes out of their checks and don't get it back.. Be respectful and not racists. You didn't have to word it and I wish someone can take ur a$$ away so u can see how it feel # I hate racist people smh
kelly

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

james wrote:
<quoted text>
thats bull. that statement makes me laugh.. what part of illegal immigrant don't you understand, not to say you don't belong here but you are not entitled to any thing.. i can't get any kind of help but i can walk in to the welfare office and see 30 illegal immigrants getting section 8, food stamps, medicaid and a monthly check from government assistance, but as a white 30 year old male with a wife and a kid on the way i can't get shit and now I am getting a notice saying i might not even get my unemployment.. you wanna be here learn english and become legal... and thats just for spanish speak people, that goes for every one who wants to come to this country. i am tired of being turned down jobs because i don't know spanish....
well learn Spanish...and tyi if a person is illegal they don't get a ssn and if they don't have one they can't get anything from the state you have to prove your a citizen.. So stop being racists because those people u think is illegal...some people are so stupid quick to judge people... GET A JOB THEN IF U HAVE A BABY ON THE WAY
Sheeesh

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2012

Governors helpline wrote:
http://customerservicenumbers. com/co-food-stamps-florida-ebt -snap-fl
http://www.flgov.com/contact-gov-scott/email-...
If everyone who is pissed off would call the governors citizens helpline
Eight five zero-four eight eight-seven one four six
Call everyday,they will start doing something,sitting on your couch not voicing your pain isnt helping.a blog doesnt do anything.
Get some balls and call i did and rectifyed situation in one day.
Yeah AWI,food assistance sucks,the pheone reps suck..but blue collar middle class need to band together and get active or shit will stay the same as always been.they are fast to take our tax dollar but when we fall on hard times it takes weeks/months to get unemployment/food asst.why?
Why is there a waiting week? Why does there need to be?
Why isnt there a food stamp office like in other states like a dmv,go there get SNAP CARD for food same day? Why? Because YOU dont ask questions!!!!!!!
Or, you could expend all that effort and energy towards actually looking for a job. Sheeesh.
mel

Port Richey, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

unemployment MODIFIED, FAVORABLE TO APPELLA i am wondering what that means does that mean i won the case or ?? I m confused help

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

28 Users are viewing the Orlando Forum right now

Search the Orlando Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Buroc Millhouse Obama 1,083,088
2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) 14 min Panamaed 2,929
Casey Anthony maintains baby sitter was not fab... 18 min Lon Spector 165
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 35 min mememine69 45,869
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 7 hr EXECUTE KID KILLERS 484,329
Does Mickey Perform Oral On Goofy Or Donald At... 8 hr TheHeadMouse 2
What life is like for Casey Anthony 13 hr EXECUTE KID KILLERS 54
•••
•••
•••
•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Orlando People Search