Unemployment benefits in Florida: Questions and answers

With Florida's jobless rate topping 8 percent, workers who are unemployed or on the verge of losing their jobs have many questions about applying for unemployment benefits. Full Story
i want to konw

Jerseyville, IL

#419 Jul 12, 2010
who knows since WHEN did this requirement start to be effective????
"Have total base period wages of at least 1-1/2 times the wages in the quarter having the highest earnings; "
thank!!!
Lis

Boynton Beach, FL

#420 Jul 30, 2010
Sara wrote:
My husband is being relocated to Texas and I have to go with him obviously. That means I have to quit my job, can I file unemployment until I find a job in Texas
UMMM is incorrect. I had to move from one state to another because of my husband getting transferred with his job. Unemployment called me after I filed a claim and asked some questions. My husbands boss had to write a letter stating that they were transferring him out of state. Therefore, I HAD to go or separate from him. I was approved and received unemployment until a found a job in my new state of residence. Go for it. The worse that can happen is they will say no.
Good luck.!
barb

United States

#421 Dec 9, 2010
I lost a package at work, I'm not able to find it. If I get fired tomorrow , can I apply for unemployment??
Congressional Aide

Tampa, FL

#422 Jan 5, 2011
Your President, Senators and Representives can't solve the jobs and unemployment problem so they said.....

screw you...go away
ryan

Plant City, FL

#423 Jun 20, 2011
I got my first check i live i FLA. Does any body know when the next check come. It came aweek ago from this past friday. I got a card in the mail but no money on it called friday . Does anybody know when they pay you?
rick scott cut UE

Daytona Beach, FL

#424 Jun 30, 2011
The unemployment bill (HB 7005) is intended to cut employers' taxes by reducing maximum state benefits for jobless workers.
The cap will drop from 26 to 23 weeks if Florida's unemployment rate is at least 10.5 percent. If it falls below that level the maximum benefits also will decline on sliding scale to as little as 12 weeks for a jobless rate of 5 percent or less. Florida's unemployment rate stood at 10.6 percent in May.
The new law applies only to state benefits, not those provided by the federal government. It won't affect this year's tax rates but is expected to cut them by about $18 per worker in 2012.
Help with your checks

Daytona Beach, FL

#425 Jun 30, 2011
call citizen helpline and they will immediately put you through to unemployment representative:
eight five zero-four eight eight-four-four-four-one. Just give your case # or your SS# and name and tell them you are having issues with getting throught to agency for workforce innovation (unemployment website)..it will work..promise!
Help with your checks

Daytona Beach, FL

#426 Jun 30, 2011
barb wrote:
I lost a package at work, I'm not able to find it. If I get fired tomorrow , can I apply for unemployment??
if you get fired for anything other than misconduct..yes you can collect..see my other post to call #
Curious

New Port Richey, FL

#427 Jul 13, 2011
once you claim your weeks ,how long does it take before you have your money?
Doug

Palm Harbor, FL

#428 Jul 22, 2011
I work for a local trucking company, Wed. my truck broke down, the shop supervisor told me it might be next Wed. before they even get around to it. My company does not pay down time and they do not have extra trucks, they tell you just come in at 4:30 a.m. and if someone doesn't show up you can drive their truck that day. If all the trucks go out they tell you to go home and come back the next day and you might get lucky and someone will call in. By the way this same thing happened week before last I was off the whole week. Can I still collect compensation since I am a full time employee and I am ready and willing to work, but the company has no vehicle for me? Also how do I go about it? Thanks
Fran

Palm Bay, FL

#429 Sep 9, 2011
To the individual who stated. "You don't get unemployment if you quit a job", you're inaccurate. You CAN be awarded benefits if you quit and the reason(s) you quit were with 'good cause attributable to the employer'-meaning, if your employer harrassed you, discriminated against you, sexually harrassed you, or made any unprofessional effort(s) to make your working there unbearable to the point where you had to leave. I suggest people do their homework first before they are quick to answer questions that are law related.
Need Help ASAP

Oviedo, FL

#430 Sep 16, 2011
hey... it seems like its been forever here my information and i still havent gotten my first check:

Your benefit year began on 08/14/11.
Your weekly benefit amount is $215.00.
Your available credits were:$4977.00.
No payments have been issued on your claim.
Your Balance is $4977.00
Your Current Payment Method: Direct Deposit to my Bank Account

that was as of 9/16/2011
whats going on, im really struggling
Florida Unemployed

AOL

#431 Sep 30, 2011
Dear Sir or whoever,
I wanted to Thank you for stopping my unemployment check.
Now I will be able to have that special house we have always wanted. If you would like to come to dinner some evening it is located on EAST STREET and you can't miss it, it is the only CARDBAORD BOX there. I am sorry that you will have to bring your own dinner but as a good note there is a dumpster just down the street that I use and there is plenty of good food there and it is cheap. I also wanted to thank you for creating all these jobs out there, there are so many jobs that I can't seem to qualify for any of them.
Also I appreciate the way you have treated me and all the other Vietnam Vets. We have served our country and this is what we get.
Thanks Again,
NoBama2daRescue

Tulsa, OK

#432 Oct 6, 2011
NoBama waited 3 years to push the jobs bill?? What a frickin joke of a president! It won't be passed & NoBama knows it. Go back to Chicago & organize your people.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/06/opinion/whe...

Mr. Obama asked on Tuesday. Does Mr. Cantor oppose rehiring teachers or construction workers, he continued, or giving tax breaks to businesses that hire? It was the kind of strong, personal rejoinder to Republican obstructionism that Mr. Obama needs to make. Unfortunately, he has not been as forceful in pressing the other lawmakers holding up his bill: Senate Democrats.
Kate

Kissimmee, FL

#433 Oct 19, 2011
Does anyone know if federal pensions affect unemployment benefits. I retired three years ago and went to work for a private company that fired me but dont know if a $2400 pension will work against me?
Johnny McBravoson

Palm Bay, FL

#434 Nov 2, 2011
Need Help ASAP wrote:
hey... it seems like its been forever here my information and i still havent gotten my first check:
Your benefit year began on 08/14/11.
Your weekly benefit amount is $215.00.
Your available credits were:$4977.00.
No payments have been issued on your claim.
Your Balance is $4977.00
Your Current Payment Method: Direct Deposit to my Bank Account
that was as of 9/16/2011
whats going on, im really struggling
Sounds like they're doing the same thing to you as they are doing to me. It's their stalling tactic *Ahem!* "Adjudication". where they claim to be calling your former employers to confirm info about how you lost your job. i'm technically already on my 7th week of waiting [they flagged the file 1 week after I applied].
Johnny McBravoson

Palm Bay, FL

#435 Nov 2, 2011
I lost my job on 9/2-2011. I waited until 9/19 to file [since they try to screw with applicants in terms of their last paycheck].
I claim my 1st TWO weeks as per their instructions, and VOILA! Nothing. No email, no phone call, no snail mail, not even a status update on their precious claim system.
I call them to ask, and their response "You're going to have to give us more time". I wait 2 more weeks, and the girl "Lisa" that I spoke with gave only a small bit more info. Turns out they flagged my file 1 week after I applied, and it would be up to 4-6 weeks until I will even see a red cent. The Reason: I was given two weeks [AND ONLY TWO WEEKS] of severance pay at one of my PAST former employers from when they had to lay me off [and call me back 1 month later as a temp, to be let go again for the same thing [laid off]].
"Lisa" said to keep claiming weeks since they MIGHT pay them out if the "review" comes out in my favor.
I sent a message asking why it's taking so long last tuesday. 2 days later, I get a reply from "Belinda" who explained things that the file is still 'pending review" as there are 1000s of files under review. She also sent an email to their [fake] review unit [or said she did] saying that the file is being expedited and apologized for any inconvenience this may have caused. She also stated that I am welcome to check the status from time to time. Belinda seemed to actually be concerned, or at least gave me the illusion of actually caring.

an email was sent yesterday asking about the status, and now "Nancy" replies with a snotty

"An e-mail was sent to try an expedite the process, but a decision has not been made. Please continue claiming weeks, if approved, you may be entitled to retroactive benefits for the weeks you have pending.

You will be notified by mail of the final decision."

After getting absolutely nothing... I'm on my ACTUAL 7th week of waiting and absolutely broke waiting on either this or my old cashed out 401k to come in. Me and my dad have this little "joke wager" on what will arrive first.

I know UC IS NOT an entitlement but an emergency safety net. But I feel i'm getting lied to by someone. I'm not a stereotypical lazy american who works the system, in fact if it weren't for the lack of action on behalf of FL DEO, I'd already have my CDL and be in training to drive a truck. Heck, i'd already be re-employed AND be moving out of FLA.
Jay

Pinellas Park, FL

#436 Dec 12, 2011
I have collected unemployment for two months found a job but maybe the job is seasonal. Do I need to reapply for unemployment or are there limits?

Level 8

Since: Jun 11

Weeki Wachee, Florida

#438 Dec 16, 2011
Bumped for bonus
Candace

Kissimmee, FL

#439 Dec 28, 2011
Serious question: After being fired in June, I qualified for and received unemployment benefits in Florida. A month later I cashed in an almost entirely employer funded 401k for about $1,200 (I understand the income tax ramifications of this, as I have done it before). I didn't report it when I was claiming my weeks, because I didn't think I had to! There's not even a space for it! I later found a job and was let go after 2 months. I re-opened my benefits in early December. I will probably qualify for the rest of my benefits (I should have 9 weeks left). My concern is that my case is still under review, and I still haven't received a dime. One of the things being reviewed is "an IRA withdrawal".(This was mentioned to me on the phone when I was checking on my claim). Now it has me worried to death! Was I supposed to report it to unemployment when I got it? It didn't seem like it, or I would have! If anyone knows, please let me know...post or message me. I've done a lot of worrying and researching and 90% says no, it shouldn't matter because it's not "new income", but I'm still worried that it will reduce my benefits, disqualify me, and that I'll have to pay it back. I'm almost broke! Help! Does anyone know?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min shinningelectr0n 1,191,984
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 6 min CNJ 492,173
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 19 min Kenny Z 17,878
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 36 min Earthling-1 51,531
IRS Opens Its Tax Borders to Giving Illegal Imm... 57 min Culture Auditor 1
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 1 hr Princess Hey 17,363
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 2 hr Maggie McGee 71,233
Orlando Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:11 am PST