Unemployment benefits in Florida: Questions and answers

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

With Florida's jobless rate topping 8 percent, workers who are unemployed or on the verge of losing their jobs have many questions about applying for unemployment benefits.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of439
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Mar 09

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2009

I understand I cant get unemployment if I quit a job. but that job I had for 4 days, it wasn't my primary job of 6 years. That I was collecting unemployment from - I'm asking since I WAS collecting unemployment - worked at a job for 4 days then quit - Could I still received unemployment benefits again from my primary job of 6 years ?
DENISE

Stuart, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2009

WHAT ABOUT THE EXTENSION FOR 2009? MY BENEFITS ARE RUNNING OUT ANOTHER WEEK....WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH THE NEW EXTENSIONS FOR 2009 ? WHEN DOES THAT KICK IN ? DO I REAPPLY OR DO I GET IT AUTOMATICALLY? NEVER RECEIVED A RECENT LETTER STATING SO...
DENISE

Stuart, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2009

what is the deal with the extensions of benefits for 2009 ??? is it a secret ?? i do remember hearing the president of the u.s stating there will be extensions to unemployment...but when ?? my benefits are running out one more week to go...and no letter or words of advice from no where..!!! and the site does not state anything about it in my account...soooo....do i reapply anyway...or will it automatically extend...?? those people that were hired in that office of unemployment should be fired !!!! there are tons of other people who can do the job better and faster...and why o why is there never anyone to talk to with the given number ??? i find it hard to believe they are short staff with soooo many people out of work...what is up with that ?????
Educated Little Guy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2009

I understand that the 2009 Unemployment extension is not going to happen for Florida at this time, because our Republican leaders don't want to spend some relatively little bit of money to process the claims.
I thought I was a Republican for most of my younger life, until I got educated and realized that the Republican Party is the party for the rich and I am not rich!
a girl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2009

yeah...I just went through the appeals process too, the place I worked fired me for a stupid reason then put something bad on my record so I couldn't get my compensation. Of course I appealed it. So I ended up waiting almost three months for my money. The whole process took forever; when I had my hearing the referee decided in my favor and my ex-employee appealed THAT! According to them the state "ignored" their evidence.(But there was none, which shows how I did nothing wrong.) But I still got to keep my compensation. It seems that companies, especially now, are doing whatever they can to avoid paying compensation to the people who work hard for them...I EARNED that money and they did what they could to not pay it. Seriously, that should be illegal. It hasn't been easy trying to find a job, and then to have to get screwed out of the money that you earned as a tax-paying citizen on top of that--give me a break! I just don't understand how these big companies are able to get away with this!
know the facts

Dunedin, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2009

craziperson wrote:
I understand I cant get unemployment if I quit a job. but that job I had for 4 days, it wasn't my primary job of 6 years. That I was collecting unemployment from - I'm asking since I WAS collecting unemployment - worked at a job for 4 days then quit - Could I still received unemployment benefits again from my primary job of 6 years ?
No you cannot. Once you take a job, any job, and then you quit you can't get unemployment.

That is why you have to be careful when take a new job, for example if you were making 40K and you got laid off, you are better off taking the unemployment until you find something in your salary range.

In most states unemployment can't force you to take a job that pays much less then the one you lost.

BUT if you take a much lower paying job, and like you did quit, you voided out your unemployment.

Sorry for your situation but NEVER take a low paying job especially when you are entitled to UE benefits that could end up paying the same or more.

I am not sure about FL, but most states don't expect someone who was making a decent living to settle on an $8 an hour. They expect you to look within your range while collecting benefits.

Hope this helps.
Living Off The Phat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2009

know the facts wrote:
<quoted text>
No you cannot. Once you take a job, any job, and then you quit you can't get unemployment.
That is why you have to be careful when take a new job, for example if you were making 40K and you got laid off, you are better off taking the unemployment until you find something in your salary range.
In most states unemployment can't force you to take a job that pays much less then the one you lost.
BUT if you take a much lower paying job, and like you did quit, you voided out your unemployment.
Sorry for your situation but NEVER take a low paying job especially when you are entitled to UE benefits that could end up paying the same or more.
I am not sure about FL, but most states don't expect someone who was making a decent living to settle on an $8 an hour. They expect you to look within your range while collecting benefits.
Hope this helps.
Actually, you can under certain conditions, but not hers.
SO HERES MY SITUATION GUYS...
I was unemployed and collected from August of 2006 to January of 2007 when I became a manager at Albertsons. When Albertson closed I collected from Sept 2008 until now. I am getting ready to go on my first extension and they re-opened my old claim from 2006 and said my extension was going to be for that claim since it was passed during the Bush era!!! And of course its over 200 bucks a week less.
I called and complained and of course was told tons of different things and now Im not getting any payments and was told they are reviewing my claim.
ANYONE HERE FAMILIAR WITH THIS SITUATION?
Ms Conservative

Orange City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2009

Judged:

JULIO wrote:
My brother need monies but they say no because he does not have social secruity numbers. This is a way the the US discrimnate against immigrants! He paid the tax but because he not citizen he get no help. This racist don't you see?
Julio, You don't know your ass from your elbow. ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS don't get money just because you are in the United States. Its not discrimination idiot...tell your brother to become a LEGAL US CITIZEN...and he wouldn't have a problem.
Ummmm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2009

a girl wrote:
yeah...I just went through the appeals process too, the place I worked fired me for a stupid reason then put something bad on my record so I couldn't get my compensation. Of course I appealed it. So I ended up waiting almost three months for my money. The whole process took forever; when I had my hearing the referee decided in my favor and my ex-employee appealed THAT! According to them the state "ignored" their evidence.(But there was none, which shows how I did nothing wrong.) But I still got to keep my compensation. It seems that companies, especially now, are doing whatever they can to avoid paying compensation to the people who work hard for them...I EARNED that money and they did what they could to not pay it. Seriously, that should be illegal. It hasn't been easy trying to find a job, and then to have to get screwed out of the money that you earned as a tax-paying citizen on top of that--give me a break! I just don't understand how these big companies are able to get away with this!
So you pay taxes, big deal. So does every other working person in this country. You know how much you paid in to unemployment? ZERO. That's right, not one red cent of your paycheck goes towards paying unemployment. It's completely funded by employers.
goin broke

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2009

i am on tier 2 and my benefits run out in a week is there a 3rd exstention of unemployment there are just no jobs
Slang

Lake Worth, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2009

I just filed for unemployment and got paid my first check last Friday. I apparently need to claim every two weeks. Does that mean that I don't get a check this Friday? I know it didn't say bi-weekly pay, but if I don't claim how do they send me a check? Someone please fill me in on this.
Correction and question

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

CORRECTION: whomever says it si taxed is wrong. I am collecting and no taxes are taken out.
I got terminated from my company. They did not provide an accurate reason, and I have been granted unemployment. I have a lead on a job out of state. If I move out of state, untill I start that job, will my unemployment continue?
Correction and question

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

Slang wrote:
I just filed for unemployment and got paid my first check last Friday. I apparently need to claim every two weeks. Does that mean that I don't get a check this Friday? I know it didn't say bi-weekly pay, but if I don't claim how do they send me a check? Someone please fill me in on this.
You will get a check every two weeks for double your allowance rate (since the allowance rate is a weekly disbursement)
TBag

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

Correction and question wrote:
CORRECTION: whomever says it si taxed is wrong. I am collecting and no taxes are taken out.
I got terminated from my company. They did not provide an accurate reason, and I have been granted unemployment. I have a lead on a job out of state. If I move out of state, untill I start that job, will my unemployment continue?
You will have to declare the total amount on your 09 taxes. You have the option of either having taxes taken out now or later.
Correction and question

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

TBag wrote:
<quoted text>You will have to declare the total amount on your 09 taxes. You have the option of either having taxes taken out now or later.
it has to be declared, yes, but you don't have the option to have taxes taken out now... I just went though the filing process, and that was not in there at all
Slang

Lake Worth, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2009

Thank you Correction and Question for answering that for me. I was getting worried there for a minute!
Correction and question

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2009

Slang: no problem.
Interesting

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2009

Correction and question wrote:
You can either have taxes deducted directly from your check, or you can pay taxes on it at the end of the year on your tax return.
DanCan

Iraq

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2009

I am an over seas contractor and I will be finishing out my contract here in Iraq this month. When I come home to FL am I eligable for the unemployment benefits? I did not get fired or laid off, I just simply did not renew my contract.

Since: Aug 08

Now a Ghetto

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2009

DanCan wrote:
I am an over seas contractor and I will be finishing out my contract here in Iraq this month. When I come home to FL am I eligable for the unemployment benefits? I did not get fired or laid off, I just simply did not renew my contract.
I think it hangs on if your employer was a US based corporation ..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of439
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

65 Users are viewing the Orlando Forum right now

Search the Orlando Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Tinka 1,032,959
Edmonton man sentenced to year in jail for sex ... 8 min USA Citizen 1
Three California Residents Arrested, Charged wi... 13 min USA Citizen 1
2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) 15 min Eggs 2,623
Cops: Man shot after argument in northwest Orlando 20 min USA Citizen 1
Let's Hang Some Crooked Jews And Crooked Politi... 39 min USA Citizen 1
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 57 min Murphey_Law 478,233
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 8 hr LizW 17,327
•••
•••
•••
Orlando Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
•••
•••