Unemployment benefits in Florida: Questions and answers

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

With Florida's jobless rate topping 8 percent, workers who are unemployed or on the verge of losing their jobs have many questions about applying for unemployment benefits.
Comments
301 - 320 of 441 Comments Last updated Jun 10, 2014
Tony

Tampa, FL

#334 Mar 2, 2010
You are wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been looking for work since January, I quit a job because I got a better paying one and after two weeks they let me go. I know I shouldn't have quit that job, but even though I am highly educated made over $35,000 a year I can not even get hired at Wendy's or McDonalds they think I am either too old or way overqualifed. So those of you that think some people on unemployment are just lazy you are wrong. I have a stack of over 200 resumes I have sent out just since January and have filled out over 200 applications at grocery stores, fast food chains, etc. SO SCREW YOU!!!!
the problem with the people caught in the unemployment trap is the layoffs of this recession hasn't hit enough people for the majority of people to actually understand the depth of the problem.

for most people, some prices have gotten a little higher, some taxes have gotten a little higher and they have had to listen to more negitive news than they want to hear....but, other than that they haven't really been effected.

so, they don't care and don't believe there is much of a problem.

americans have reached a point that 23 - 25 million people are without an income and that doesn't count in their families, is not a problem as long as they still have their income and tickets to the next football game.

that's exactly the reason this country will never recover the ground it has lost.......10% unemployment will become an acceptable level of unemployment and higher if obama and congress allows illegals to become legal.
JourneyFan

Saint Cloud, FL

#335 Mar 2, 2010
southpole wrote:
I am moving to florida.
I exhausted my first batch and am on the second-(tier 1?) for 20 weeks I get $392 a week before taxes. The same as my original regular rate.(I think) I am moving from MASS. How does that effect unemployement extended benefits? Will I still be able to get it though I have exhaused my regular claim? Also do they have medical for those on unemployment in Florida. Just me and the hubby here. No kids but I do get the dependent allowance ($25 per child) since I pay childsupport.
Any info is helpful. I need to know what we are working with (moneywise) once we get there and whether or not we could be eligible for medicaid or food stamps temporarily if needed since we are eligible here. Any info would be appreciated.
WHY THE HELL ARE YOU MOVING HERE..... sry, but it is really bad here, No jobs,No money,schools suck,and crime whoa... you can get car jacked in ur drive way !
Kland

Saint Cloud, FL

#336 Mar 2, 2010
I was a Personnel mgr. for a very Big store chain, we did not hire any full timers, only part,so no benefits... have you been in a walmart lately? 35 checkouts and only 6 cashiers,and don't forget you can check yourself out... This time of yr, is very bad for all stores, we are looking for ways to cut hours. When you clock out and go back to work, you know its bad...

Since: Feb 10

Winter Garden, FL

#337 Mar 3, 2010
Is is so much a domino effect ..the more they cut hours and salaries the less people spend, the less people spend the more they cut salaries and hours..where does it stop and regain at least leverage...? Sometimes it makes me wonder though? Are companies really losing money to which they are not surviving the norm..or are they losing money to which they are not getting the exuberant profits they were so used to for so long! The other day my son was looking for a used car. Now I know the car companies are not doing well. However, they promised him a good price, had the sale in the bag, and when they felt all was well and good..they changed the price on him, thus, they lost the sale completely and we walked away, and because of their greed, they lost, not him. People are getting smarter, but companies are not. They have been greedy for too long, dishonest for too long, justifying themselves so they can live better than most. I'm afraid if their loyalties remain self serving, we will all be standing on the food lines in the future. Those with the highest expenses and the highest salaries get hit the worst in the end...! All I can say to many is, change your way of living, hold tight to your wallets, don't buy things marked up beyond its worth, don't let employers trick you out of things, don't let the government do the same..these are desperate times, people are even more dishonest, more willing to sell their souls to the devil for an extra buck..be smart shoppers, smart workers, smart American citizens...don't fall to their graces again to avoid confrontation or stress, these are stressful times, live with it and make it work for you somehow? Look for new ways, really think things through with everything you do in the next years to come. Educate yourself on politics, watch closely how they play the games so you are one step ahead, learn your rights, your privileges and don't waste them, it takes hard work to obtain the things you are entitled to, to obtain the things that as US Citizens, you have worked for all of your life, and in which you truly deserve! And most of all..have compassion not only for yourself..but have it for others too! Look out for those who are struggling as well..this is what people did during the Great Depression..my grandfather was the only one on his block with a job..he invited them all in for meals..this is what America is all about..things don't get better unless we all stand together!!!
kristin

Middleburg, FL

#338 Mar 3, 2010
I'm 4 months pregnant and i'm about to be fired because my dr. says i should not be lifting over 30lbs and my employer refused me the FMLA. would i be able to claim unemployment?
Oh boy

United States

#339 Mar 3, 2010
I just found out my employer is moving my job to another state. I do not plan to move. Will I be able to get unemployment benefits?

Winter Garden, FL

#340 Mar 3, 2010
kristin wrote:
I'm 4 months pregnant and i'm about to be fired because my dr. says i should not be lifting over 30lbs and my employer refused me the FMLA. would i be able to claim unemployment?
Is there any way to avoid lifting and still continue to work your job? Why do you have to have a leave of absence? Is your employer forcing you to lift heavy things, or can you remain and compromise by conducting the rest of your job details but heavy lifting during your pregnancy. This employer would most certainly be putting his own company in jeopardy if something were to happen to your health while on the job due to heavy lifting!

Winter Garden, FL

#341 Mar 3, 2010
Oh boy wrote:
I just found out my employer is moving my job to another state. I do not plan to move. Will I be able to get unemployment benefits?
I am pretty sure you should have no problem with eligibility if your company is moving out of state, however, you may want to call anonymously to the unemployment office to clarify this, but last
heard, unemployment usually takes care of those who are unable to relocate when their present company decides to change location to another state as long as you were not privy to this information at the time of hire.
kristin

Middleburg, FL

#342 Mar 4, 2010
augustine1959 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there any way to avoid lifting and still continue to work your job? Why do you have to have a leave of absence? Is your employer forcing you to lift heavy things, or can you remain and compromise by conducting the rest of your job details but heavy lifting during your pregnancy. This employer would most certainly be putting his own company in jeopardy if something were to happen to your health while on the job due to heavy lifting!
I work in patient care for the developmentaly disabled and i do need to lift to transfer patients. i was told if i cant do the job im fired, they do not offer light duty at my job.

Winter Garden, FL

#343 Mar 5, 2010
kristin wrote:
<quoted text>
I work in patient care for the developmentaly disabled and i do need to lift to transfer patients. i was told if i cant do the job im fired, they do not offer light duty at my job.
You need to learn more about your rights in Florida...this is
just not right! Here is something I found with some information,
hope it helps!!

http://www.weblocator.com/attorney/fl/law/emp...
paul

Winter Park, FL

#344 Mar 5, 2010
was laid off from my job august 2009 have been getting unemployment benfits,found new job in feb of this year filled out w-4 form and i-9 forms and employer was not taking out federal taxes,told him he needs to fix it or ill let the irs know.he told me to get lost and never threatend a company and to handle it myself.refiled for unemployment and now its stuck in adjudication have check stubs where he was not taking taxes out my last check stub he took all the taxes out.and is saying i quit.any solutions
Sheila

Gainesville, FL

#346 Mar 7, 2010
paul wrote:
was laid off from my job august 2009 have been getting unemployment benfits,found new job in feb of this year filled out w-4 form and i-9 forms and employer was not taking out federal taxes,told him he needs to fix it or ill let the irs know.he told me to get lost and never threatend a company and to handle it myself.refiled for unemployment and now its stuck in adjudication have check stubs where he was not taking taxes out my last check stub he took all the taxes out.and is saying i quit.any solutions
Well Paul, the adjudication can take up to ten weeks. I know, been there myself. Stick to your story. The only thing that bothers me is you threatened your employer with the IRS. Why would you do that? Jobs are so fragile these days, you really need to kiss a bosses A** to keep one. Hate to say that, but it is true. Stick to your story that he fired you, all you can do at this point is wait on the adjudication and I do know how frustrating that is.
You are wrong

Ocala, FL

#347 Mar 9, 2010
Is anyone in Florida on unemployment and in the adjucation process?? I am so frustrated, I keep getting different answers when I call, its been 10 weeks and it hasnt been approved or denied as of yet. HELP
paul

Winter Park, FL

#348 Mar 9, 2010
yes,keep calling them i called today and was told to keep claiming weeks and to call them next tuesday if issue is not resolved through judication.been in judication for 4 weeks now.wed through saturday you can usually get right through to a person on the telphone.fed up with judication
Eric

Ocala, FL

#349 Mar 10, 2010
Searching for some phone numbers to call so I can actually get someone on the phone to talk about a case (unemployment status). Im trying to help a friend out and was wondering if anyone had a cell phone number of an employee that works for Florida Unemployment. The 1-800number is a waste of time.
Sheila

Gainesville, FL

#350 Mar 14, 2010
You are wrong wrote:
Is anyone in Florida on unemployment and in the adjucation process?? I am so frustrated, I keep getting different answers when I call, its been 10 weeks and it hasnt been approved or denied as of yet. HELP
I went through it about ten weeks. Kept calling and nobody knew anything!!! Finally, I went to governors Crists website. Called the phone number on there, and they had someone call me within 2 days. Granted, it still took a couple more weeks, but I had the info of where my case was and the exact person working on it.
http://www.flgov.com/contact_governor
Tony

Tampa, FL

#351 Mar 16, 2010
When your unemployment benefits run out and you nor the economy is still no closer to producing a job than when you first began looking.......

Put the blame squarely on obama and his inept congress.

you and your families have become unimportant while they has spent the last year on ONE issue.

when you can't buy food and have your family in a homeless shelter or living in your car.......

who gives a chit if you have health insurance or not......at that point health insurance is a luxury.

obama and congress have completely turned their backs on the unemployed and their families of the nation.
Sheila

Gainesville, FL

#352 Mar 16, 2010
Tony wrote:
When your unemployment benefits run out and you nor the economy is still no closer to producing a job than when you first began looking.......
Put the blame squarely on obama and his inept congress.
you and your families have become unimportant while they has spent the last year on ONE issue.
when you can't buy food and have your family in a homeless shelter or living in your car.......
who gives a chit if you have health insurance or not......at that point health insurance is a luxury.
obama and congress have completely turned their backs on the unemployed and their families of the nation.
Exactly!!!! I have absolutely no faith in the U.S. government anymore. Obama didn't create the problem, but he is doing nothing about it.
Ginger2u

Tampa, FL

#353 Mar 20, 2010
I have been on unemployment now for around 4 months. I have generally worked in bookkeeping and more sedentary jobs. I took a job working as a hostess for a restaurant. After 2 days of work, I am finding that I am unable to tolerate being on my feet for 8 hours. I have such pain in my feet and ankles that I am barely able to walk and am sick at my stomach. My knee is swollen and in pain. Now what? Have I lost my unemployment benefits? Please help!

Winter Garden, FL

#354 Mar 20, 2010
Did you quit? You can get a doctors note if your knee is swollen..and then you may want to call your unemployment office to ask them these questions anonymously, as to what one does after taken a job and finding out they are not physical able to handle it
Ginger2u wrote:
I have been on unemployment now for around 4 months. I have generally worked in bookkeeping and more sedentary jobs. I took a job working as a hostess for a restaurant. After 2 days of work, I am finding that I am unable to tolerate being on my feet for 8 hours. I have such pain in my feet and ankles that I am barely able to walk and am sick at my stomach. My knee is swollen and in pain. Now what? Have I lost my unemployment benefits? Please help!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 4 min WAS skanka 486,613
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 31 min GOP R Idiots 1,100,503
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 4 hr The Real Missy 17,632
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 7 hr gcaveman1 46,326
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 9 hr Murph 70,457
Privilege Waived - Part II . . . Remember Me? 9 hr Lon Spector 30
What life is like for Casey Anthony 10 hr Lon Spector 193
•••
•••
•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Orlando People Search