Unemployment benefits in Florida: Que...

Unemployment benefits in Florida: Questions and answers

There are 442 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Feb 13, 2009, titled Unemployment benefits in Florida: Questions and answers. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

With Florida's jobless rate topping 8 percent, workers who are unemployed or on the verge of losing their jobs have many questions about applying for unemployment benefits.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Linda

Winter Garden, FL

#273 Oct 9, 2009
Sheila wrote:
Today, I learned the unemployment office does not help people like they say they do. They ARE liars...
I went to my counseling session at unemployment. Well, as usual, a waste of time. The woman was very, very nice, I don't have a problem with her at all. Turns out they don't have any work training classes and do not have a way to help you if you go to school.
Basically, they will help you go to school, but not really. They want you to check out fafsa and pell grants first, and then, and, now here's the kicker, You HAVE TO HAVE A JOB!!!!!
Now, I know I can go to school if I have a job, I don't need unemployment to tell me that. I thought the point of training was to get a job. These people want me to work full time and then go to school until 10pm everyday. She wants me to try to enroll in school by January. I reminded her that I didn't have a job. How is this helping???? It is not. Sorry, but I was very disappointed. The woman even gave me tips on how to job hunt. Gee, I've been doing it for 2 years now. Oh well, back to the drawing board.....
Are you on employflorida? My advice is to get started in that
first..http://www.clmworkforce .com/careerSeekers.asp and if you
are considering school, go straight to a community college or technical college and seek out a counselor to go over what new
career you may be interested in, now is the time for change, I
truly believe this. I haven't been in school in 30 years, I start
college in January..I applied for the Pell Grant right on line..got it all squared away, than I took some part time employment. If you are on unemployment they will subsidize the difference. It's a journey you might consider taking? Right now the right jobs are so scarce, this I know. I find people are feeling the pressure even if they are working. Salaries are being cut, hours are being taken away, most jobs are part time or on call..at this point we are more at the employers mercy than ever before, so you just have to take what little bit you can get and just keeping moving small steps forward if necessary. Just don't give up on yourself, you are not at fault for a bad economy and I don't see it getting much better for a while so you just have to improvise and get ready for new changes in your life, change can be a good thing if you're not afraid of it...you just need to embrace it and keep moving forward stronger than before..don't let the world knock you down, you know who you are! That always remains..our will can take us many places in life. Good Luck
Widgette

United States

#274 Oct 10, 2009
Could be you will have to get a pell grant, keep looking for work, and go to school at night. You don't have to go full time. You could try a student loan. I think all the fully funded training programs are for so-called displaced workers. These are people whose jobs went overseas or were part of the auto industry, but I'm not sure. Florida's job losses weren't from these areas, mostly. Don't give up.
Sometimes you never know.
Sheila

Gainesville, FL

#275 Oct 14, 2009
You guys are missing the point... Before I ever became unemployed I could have gone back to college anytime like ANYONE can. My unemployment office claims that they have training for dislocated workers. That is NOT true. There is NO training. It is a LIE....

I don't need advice on how to find a job, been looking for almost 2 years now. I certainly don't need the "it's time for a change crap"...Of course we have to change, the economy sucks now and probably won't get any better.

I CAN'T GO TO COLLEGE UNTIL I FIND A JOB!!!!!!!!!! I WON'T NEED COLLEGE IF I HAVE A JOB...IF I DIDN'T NEED A JOB I WOULDN'T NEED NEW TRAINING!!!!!!!!!! ANYONE CAN GET FINANCIAL AID, BUT UNEMPLOYMENT WILL NOT HELP YOU IF YOUR UNEMPLOYMENT RUNS OUT..

There, get it now.
Sheila

Gainesville, FL

#276 Oct 14, 2009
I HAVE NOT GIVEN UP MYSELF. I'VE GIVEN UP ON UNEMPLOYMENT AND THE LIES THEY TELL.
Needadvice 0823

Tampa, FL

#277 Oct 21, 2009
I was declined unemployment benefits, appealed and it was reversed. I have been unable to claim weeks since Sept 19th because the system said I didnt qualify. Called several time got the run around, well I spoke to a woman yesterday. They claim they had no idea I wont the appeal. I emailed her personally the decision. She said that it doesnt mean anything that I won it is still up to the wage credit department. The last paycheck in questions was recieved during the second quarter 2009 but was earned in the 1st quarter 2009. It says so on the paystub. They are sayig because it was given in the 2nd quarter, they keep it there. That is why I appealed. The decision was reversed and told to put those wages on the 1st quarter. I guess my question is can they do this? If the appeal decision is to use those wages in the 1st quarter why are they not doing it? I qualify as long as that one paycheck is being included. I am confused and frustrated! Thank you!
isteppdndoo

AOL

#278 Oct 27, 2009
In the TX Unemployment Benefits handbook it specifically states that a person who voluntarily quits their job to move with a spouse is still entitled to benefits, however, you take a penalty of 6-25 weeks.
This is my situation and I was denied for benefits but had my appeal hearing yesterday. It's been 8 weeks of no payments and I'm hoping something gives, either I get approved or get an interview! I am in dire straits and it seems like my options now are to "shake my a@@" or "slang some rock", neither of which are very appealing. I would like to mention something that really disturbs me...those who believe that most people try to take advantage of the unemployment system. Seriously? Like one can get rich off $392/wk and that's the max benefit. That's not even $10/hr.
ouch

Titusville, FL

#279 Oct 27, 2009
isteppdndoo wrote:
In the TX Unemployment Benefits handbook it specifically states that a person who voluntarily quits their job to move with a spouse is still entitled to benefits, however, you take a penalty of 6-25 weeks.
This is my situation and I was denied for benefits but had my appeal hearing yesterday. It's been 8 weeks of no payments and I'm hoping something gives, either I get approved or get an interview! I am in dire straits and it seems like my options now are to "shake my a@@" or "slang some rock", neither of which are very appealing. I would like to mention something that really disturbs me...those who believe that most people try to take advantage of the unemployment system. Seriously? Like one can get rich off $392/wk and that's the max benefit. That's not even $10/hr.
Sounds like Tx gets much more then us Floridians. The max here is $275.00/wk!! I went from a $65,000/yr job to $275.00/week. If I hadnt fortunately put money away for an emergency fund to cover at least 3 months salary I would have been devastated financially. Thing is most people either dont have the means or the foresight to do so. The extra $25.00 stimulus check a week knocked alot of people out of the ability to collect any form of food stamps or other public assistance also. Florida is the worse for employee rights.
OneDayAtATime

Arcadia, CA

#280 Oct 27, 2009
Woo Hooooo!
We're gonna get another 20 weeks after the new year, thankfully!
Anyone collect from Florida and yet reside in another state?
I'm wondering how easy that process is. I'm getting ready to start my federal extension next week and then the begining of the year I guess that extension will go another 20 weeks.
Jacksonville Joker

Jacksonville, FL

#281 Nov 2, 2009
I have been waiting for benefits since Oct 5 2009, why does it take so long here in Florida to collect anything?
Sheila wrote:
<quoted text>Yes it does.
MISHA

United States

#282 Nov 2, 2009
Sheila wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you willing to put your money where your mouth is and GIVE these people jobs so they don't suck the government dry? If not, then shut up.
YOu are kidding right... WE are the ones who supply the money to the goverment.... If you ask me the goverment is sucking us dry! Then they decide who and where are money goes.... and hassle us the whole way through it. What a joke!!!

Since: Oct 08

Orlando

#283 Nov 8, 2009
Hello again. I am going to school with the Workforce Investment Act. You can find the link on the site where you file for UE. I guess I met all the requirements, it did a long time to get it though. Now that they passed another extention, any idea when it will be dispersed?
John

Tampa, FL

#284 Nov 13, 2009
Julio-
If you're a legal immigrant, then it is not a problem. Calling someone racist when they deny benefits to someone who broke the law and is illegally here, that is not racist, that is ignorant-on your part! If you're legal, you'd have a SSN. How'd your employer "tax" your pay without an SSN? Sounds fishy to me!
travis

Mulberry, FL

#286 Nov 14, 2009
craziperson wrote:
I was recently laid off from my job of 6 years on January 26,2009. I filed for unemployment it was granted. I have received about 5 weeks of benefits. Then I took a job only paying $ 8.00 an hour - I gross $ 164.00 while i was there then quit because I can be making more money with unemployment than working for $ 8.00 an hour. I have filed for an appeal since the unemployment denied my benefits since I have worked and quit. I'm waiting for a hearing date at this time. I have called them today for status, they told me that I WOULD NOT received any benefits until whatever is determined at the hearing date!
Has anyone collected unemployment found a job, then quit because it didnt pay enought? and where you able to received benefits after the hearing date? As in on the hearing date, was it granted?
Please let me know! Thanks!
If you go on the florida unemployment webpage, you will see that the states policy is: If you quit your job then you are not eligible for benefits. If they allowed people to get benefits for quiting their job then this state would be more broke than it already is because millions of low class people would do that!
travis

Mulberry, FL

#287 Nov 14, 2009
MISHA wrote:
<quoted text>
YOu are kidding right... WE are the ones who supply the money to the goverment.... If you ask me the goverment is sucking us dry! Then they decide who and where are money goes.... and hassle us the whole way through it. What a joke!!!
You are absolutely right Shelia! Not to mention how our government foolishly wastes our tax dollars on this dumb a-s-s war and lets not forget the 4 billion they have wasted this year on prosecuting non violent drug offenders! If our government would just stop those two things they could just about hook us up with some healthcare!
travis

Mulberry, FL

#288 Nov 14, 2009
MISHA wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me, You are absolutely right, "MISHA"
Linda

Ocoee, FL

#289 Nov 14, 2009
This is not always necessarily true. I had never quit a job in my life until after losing my bookkeeping position due to company layoffs and downsizing, I desperately signed to a training for a call center who promised me I would not be forced the original hours they were giving me, which was out of my county and in the middle of the night. Needless to say, as a single woman I was not comfortable with those hours, and I was not going to sign at first, until she told me not to worry, they were very flexible with hours, so I attended the orientation to only find out that you have to bid for hours and that goes by seniority. As it was, I only attended the seven and a half hour orientation, and declined on the training. In this company, you were not actually an employee until you completed the eight week training any way. But, because I just went on my first extension a few weeks prior, the state was now paying my benefits, and they didn't want to, thus, they refused my unemployment. I am working two jobs right now, but I would still like to have what is owed to me. I have always worked hard in the state of Florida, and paid into the system for years and never used government dollars, and now when I need it, this is the respect I get. People need to stop stereotyping, it's ignorant and immature, not everyone is the same. I am a hard worker and have never slacked off to use the system, and it is people like us who have the hardest time getting anything we have paid into.
Theo

Homestead, FL

#290 Nov 15, 2009
I recently moved to North Carolina I was wondering to claim my weeks, do I need to claim them in Florida or North carolina??? Does anyone know the answer???
Lynnly

Sarasota, FL

#291 Nov 16, 2009
Does anyone know if you lose all your unemployment compensation when you return to work-I am talking about the funds still available under your name. Are they still available if you become unemployed again?
Joe T

Pensacola, FL

#292 Nov 24, 2009
My florida unemployment ran out as of Nov 23d. That was my first extension. Do I get a 2nd one. Do i have to wait till Jan. 2010?
Fred

Gainesville, FL

#293 Dec 8, 2009
Hi everyone, here is some important info...

I went to our CLM workforce for unemployment. Granted, they are not technically an unemployment office anymore, but they still try to help people. They still have an area specifically for unemployment.

The third tier, it is awful. I went there to verify and it is true, Tier 3 is taking away anything you get on EB as of November 8th. For many people this means a LOT less unemployment, it doesn't really act as an extension at all. I talked to two separate people in Tallahassee while I was there today and they said after December 27th, there will be no more extensions. In other words, if you are on the first tier, you will then go to the third. YOU DO NOT GET THE 2ND and EB. If you are the second you go to the third. If you just started, you go to the third.....This really sucks for people who are starting school right now as there are no jobs out there. These people will eventually have to drop out. Such a shame. FL really sucks.

I specifically asked if Governor Crist came up with this and was told YES. Damn him. Why the national news hasn't picked up on this is beyond me.

Sorry for being so angry, but ya know what, I am!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 50 dead in Florida nightclub shooting, worst in... 2 min WeTheSheeple 1,248
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min woodtick57 1,394,631
News News 28 Mins Ago 'Not the America we want': Oba... 10 min WeTheSheeple 258
News Obama: Notion that being armed would have saved... 13 min Go Blue Forever 885
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr -This IS Too Easy 60,024
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 6 hr Murphey_Law 513,329
News Supreme Court leaves assault weapons bans in pl... 9 hr WeTheSheeple 111
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages