Unemployment benefits in Florida: Questions and answers

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

With Florida's jobless rate topping 8 percent, workers who are unemployed or on the verge of losing their jobs have many questions about applying for unemployment benefits.
Comments
1 - 20 of 441 Comments Last updated Jun 10, 2014
First Prev
of 23
Next Last
UNEMPLOYED

New Braunfels, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2009

Judged:

UNEMPLOYMENT IS A JOKE, HOW IN THE WORLD ARE YOU GOING TO SURVIVE WITH 275 PER WEEK THAT IS GONNA BE TAXED ONE WAY OR THE OTHER. BECOMING 175. THE UNEMPLOYMENT WILL TRY EVERY TRICK IN THE BOOK TO DENY YOUR CLAIM, AND THEN TAKE THEIR TIME TO RESPOND YOUR APPEAL.
HEY BY THE WAY TRY CALLING THE NUMBERS....8002042418, YOU WILL EITHER RECEIVE AN AUTMATED MESSAGE TELLING YOU THE WAIT TIME IS 1 HOUR OR MORE, AND THEN DISCONNECT YOU IN 10-15 MINUTES. THE WHOLE SYSTEM SEEMS TO BE DESIGNED TO MAKE YOU QUIT PURSUING WHAT IS RIGHTFULLY YOURS.
fl ex pat

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2009

Judged:

Why bother applying? AWI will simply lie and screw you out of your benefits you rightfully earned because they are nothing but a bunch of racist liars. And their 'ALJs' are too 'tarded to get a regular job. Also a bunch of liars and incompetents.
Kilroy

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2009

Judged:

hahahaha , most people STAY on unemployment until it magically runs out... then they magically find a job , also people file for it even though they willfully quit and most times they get it... its the employer who gets screwed.
JULIO

Arlington, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2009

Judged:

My brother need monies but they say no because he does not have social secruity numbers. This is a way the the US discrimnate against immigrants! He paid the tax but because he not citizen he get no help. This racist don't you see?
Barbara G

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

Judged:

An individual person does not pay into unemployment from their earnings. The Company you work for pays for unemployment insurance. It's works just like car insurance, when you have a claim your premium goes up. Therefore companies are now fighting an individuals unemployment claim and making it harder for people to be approved. In my situation my husband was told by the manager not to bother to come back. He was approved by Unemployment for his benefits, now his employer Johnny Rocket Inc. has filed an appeal saying he abandoned his position (which is a lie). Who the hell would abandon their job in this economy especially right before Christmas? Now he has a hearing that he must attend to prove he did not abandon his job, it is his word against the word of a big company with paid attorneys. We have witness' to show that he was a valued employment and know that he did not abandon his position but they are still employed by Johnny Rockets and afraid to come forward. So now if Johnny Rockets wins their appeal, we will end up having to pay back the amount he has received so far. What a croc of shit. The employers once again have all the power and the little gets shit on.
Barbara G

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 20, 2009

Judged:

JULIO wrote:
My brother need monies but they say no because he does not have social secruity numbers. This is a way the the US discrimnate against immigrants! He paid the tax but because he not citizen he get no help. This racist don't you see?
If you enter the country leagally you can get a social security number. Illegal immigrants are not entitled to unemployment benefits. If he is legal then he need to apply for a social security number so that his work history can be documented.
Luigi

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2009

Why is that first criteria set up like that? It is ridiculous how absurdly complicated it is
Useful advice

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2009

Judged:

Unemployment is realy bad here in Florida. When you finally apply and if you get approved, you end up waiting for your benefits....my advice is: call your local State Representative or State Senator, they have people they can call to get you answers and results. It's awful we have to do that, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Anyway, they should help.
Frank

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2009

Judged:

UNEMPLOYED wrote:
UNEMPLOYMENT IS A JOKE, HOW IN THE WORLD ARE YOU GOING TO SURVIVE WITH 275 PER WEEK THAT IS GONNA BE TAXED ONE WAY OR THE OTHER. BECOMING 175. THE UNEMPLOYMENT WILL TRY EVERY TRICK IN THE BOOK TO DENY YOUR CLAIM, AND THEN TAKE THEIR TIME TO RESPOND YOUR APPEAL.
HEY BY THE WAY TRY CALLING THE NUMBERS....8002042418, YOU WILL EITHER RECEIVE AN AUTMATED MESSAGE TELLING YOU THE WAIT TIME IS 1 HOUR OR MORE, AND THEN DISCONNECT YOU IN 10-15 MINUTES. THE WHOLE SYSTEM SEEMS TO BE DESIGNED TO MAKE YOU QUIT PURSUING WHAT IS RIGHTFULLY YOURS.
Granted $275 a week is not a lot but to bring your net down to $175 per week, you must already be in an unheard of tax bracket.$175 net out of a gross $275 is the equivalent of a 36% tax bracket. The highest bracket for 2009 is 35%(for people making more than $372,950 in that year). You can choose not to have taxes taken out right now and deal with it when you file (when hopefully you have a job) or you can take your federal taxes out as you receive your Florida unemployment compensation. Typically 10 to 15% should suffice -- that means you would receive about $234 on the 15% calculation. It's still not a lot but it's about $60 a week more than your are projecting. Also the new stimulus package is set to not tax up to $2400 of unemployment compensation. I know that it's not easy but you need to stay focused on the positive somehow. An employer who has lots of people to choose from will want to hire someone who has a positive attitude.
Silly Rabbit

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2009

JULIO wrote:
Your brother didn't pay anything. Employers fund unemployment, not employees. You're entitled to nothing!
Conservative Republican

Orange City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

JULIO wrote:
Here's what I see: You and your brother are likley in the USA illegally. For that you expect to receive benefits? Are you crazy? You're lucky ICE can't read or they'd deport you and your brother's illegal butt.
Cathy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

I just want to know if I can pre-apply. I know when my last day is due to closing....I am also moving to another state, so do I file in the state of FL that I'm moving from by filing Interstate Unemployment in this state??? DO YOU KNOW??
Sara

Apopka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

My husband is being relocated to Texas and I have to go with him obviously. That means I have to quit my job, can I file unemployment until I find a job in Texas
Ummmm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Sara wrote:
My husband is being relocated to Texas and I have to go with him obviously. That means I have to quit my job, can I file unemployment until I find a job in Texas
No. You're choosing to move. You're not being laid off, so no unemployment for you.
Oh great

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Judged:

Well, I was laid off last Friday and now I am joining the ranks of the unemployed. I filed for unemployment for the first time ever yesterday. Never thought I'd see this day. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am so thankful that it has been raised $25.00. I hope more benefits are to come

Since: Aug 08

Now a Ghetto

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Oh great wrote:
Well, I was laid off last Friday and now I am joining the ranks of the unemployed. I filed for unemployment for the first time ever yesterday. Never thought I'd see this day. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am so thankful that it has been raised $25.00. I hope more benefits are to come
I understand it's 53 weeks now ... the last time someone here had to collect they only got 26 .. jobs are also probably harder to find right now !! Hope you find something you like!
Seemoi

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2009

If you are collecting unemployment last year March 2008, and continued to received until March 2009. Am I eligible for more extension or I have to reapply. One of the representative told me I have a claim waiting but I must work for at least $852 in order to get my claim. Is this true?
craziperson

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

I was recently laid off from my job of 6 years on January 26,2009. I filed for unemployment it was granted. I have received about 5 weeks of benefits. Then I took a job only paying $ 8.00 an hour - I gross $ 164.00 while i was there then quit because I can be making more money with unemployment than working for $ 8.00 an hour. I have filed for an appeal since the unemployment denied my benefits since I have worked and quit. I'm waiting for a hearing date at this time. I have called them today for status, they told me that I WOULD NOT received any benefits until whatever is determined at the hearing date!

Has anyone collected unemployment found a job, then quit because it didnt pay enought? and where you able to received benefits after the hearing date? As in on the hearing date, was it granted?

Please let me know! Thanks!
Carol Johnson

South Hamilton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2009

Yes the wait is long, but if you get the right person on the line at the FL unemployment they can be very helpful. I am so thankful for one agent who took the time to open a claim for me out of state. Message is keep trying, and if someone is not helpful, call back and try again.
Ummmm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2009

Judged:

craziperson wrote:
I was recently laid off from my job of 6 years on January 26,2009. I filed for unemployment it was granted. I have received about 5 weeks of benefits. Then I took a job only paying $ 8.00 an hour - I gross $ 164.00 while i was there then quit because I can be making more money with unemployment than working for $ 8.00 an hour. I have filed for an appeal since the unemployment denied my benefits since I have worked and quit. I'm waiting for a hearing date at this time. I have called them today for status, they told me that I WOULD NOT received any benefits until whatever is determined at the hearing date!
Has anyone collected unemployment found a job, then quit because it didnt pay enought? and where you able to received benefits after the hearing date? As in on the hearing date, was it granted?
Please let me know! Thanks!
Uh, you don't get unemployment if you quit a job.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 23
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

24 Users are viewing the Orlando Forum right now

Search the Orlando Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min XYZ 1,083,048
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 34 min EXECUTE KID KILLERS 484,329
Does Mickey Perform Oral On Goofy Or Donald At... 1 hr TheHeadMouse 2
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Subliminal 45,866
What life is like for Casey Anthony 7 hr EXECUTE KID KILLERS 54
Casey Anthony maintains baby sitter was not fab... 7 hr EXECUTE KID KILLERS 164
Low pay drives Florida Highway Patrol troopers ... (Aug '07) 8 hr not so 231
•••
•••
•••
•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••