4th of July balcony fall
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
anonymous

Orlando, FL

#41 Jul 7, 2009
I was there that night, and I don't know him but he's all I've been able to think about for the past three days. My heart goes out to his friends and family, as well as all the witnesses because it was such a horrific scene. I'm thankful for the people that were able to remain calm to help all the others that were so distraught. I wish I could stop thinking about this.
grieving

Boston, MA

#42 Jul 7, 2009
thank you to all the people writing in. I'm writing from up North where Wyatt was from. We loved him so much and it's at least a little bit comforting to know that he spent his last night hanging out in the company of some good friends. He was the best.
long time friend

Helena, MT

#43 Jul 7, 2009
Please, for the family sake stop spreading roamers about his drinking and possible drug use!! let us talk about the good things wyatt did in his life and the joy he gave us all. Wyatt and i meet in high school and then went to college together. he was always there for me and was a true friend. i don't feel that trying to sit on that railing was a bad chose i would have sat right next to him. this is my seconded friend i have lost in a week to a fall from over one hundred feet. my other friend was rock climbing by himself with out safety ropes which some would say is even worse then trying to sit on a wide railing. you can not blame it on anyone but god!! When it is your time it is your time. God bless you Wyatt Cagan and may you rest in peace!!!! STOP TALKING ABOUT insignificant things like DRUGS AND ALCHOL please!!!
Michael

Orlando, FL

#44 Jul 7, 2009
long time friend wrote:
i don't feel that trying to sit on that railing was a bad chose i would have sat right next to him. this is my seconded friend i have lost in a week... you can not blame it on anyone but god!!
Sorry to hear about your friends. I can tell that it must be tough on you since you're so emotional you've forgotten the basic rules of grammar and spelling. No matter, it's understandable. What's not understandable though, is why you want to blame God. Could be, but, on the other hand, maybe it was the devil that just bit him in the...instead. You never know in these metaphysical matters. Whatever the case, hopefully, in the next life, this poor soul will remember what went before, and not be so quick to sit on the ledge of a balcony, so high up.
Downtown neighbor

De Leon Springs, FL

#45 Jul 7, 2009
I would like to share the following in hopes of bringing any kind of comfort to his family and friends. Wyatt fell onto the terrace near my unit and unlike the peope at the party I viewed what happened after he fell since he fell upon the terrace only 5-10 ft from my condo.
My family and I prayed for him while he was in our presense which was almost 2 hours. Since he fell onto the terrace the public couldnít see him nor could the media and even though his body was present I felt his spirit in heaven. I want his family to know that he was unconscious upon impact (this is how it appeared to us). He wasnít all alone suffering. Even though within and outside the condo there was caious everywhere, where Wyatt was laying it was very quiet, peaceful and private. He didnít appear to be suffering or in any pain. He was very still and quiet and I believe he passed away immediately.I hope this brings you comfort to know that we were there with him and he was not alone. We didnít leave our balcony until we knew he had been tended to. Even though he was a complete stranger he has now changed our life forever. He reminded each of us how precious our life is and to not take it for granted. God BlessÖ
so sad

Sanford, FL

#46 Jul 7, 2009
Wyatt Cragan RIP
another neighbor

Orlando, FL

#47 Jul 8, 2009
I have been hesitant to write anything since I didn't know Wyatt before Saturday night. I didn't even know his name until I found this email chain. Like the family who wrote the note above, my friends and I could see Wyatt from my balcony many floors up. We were concerned that no one was with him, but also agree that he was very peaceful and didn't appear to have any pain. It was surreal to see his body and to know there were friends and family who did not know what had happened. We prayed and kept watch until people showed up on the terrace at about midnight. What a horrible tradegy that has changed each of us touched by Wyatt forever. My only hope in these times is my faith in Jesus who knows all things and is a personal, present, God. May God comfort the Cragan family and all those who are living with the loss of Wyatt.
grieving

Boston, MA

#48 Jul 8, 2009
I want to thank the neighbors for writing in. It's such a comfort to know that Wyatt didn't suffer, that he was at peace and that he was not alone. It must have been a very difficult ordeal for everyone who was there. God bless you for watching over Wyatt and for thinking of his loved ones.
Tony

New York, NY

#49 Jul 8, 2009
I don't know Wyatt, nor do I know anyone that was there or connected to this incident. I actually stayed home that night because i was partied out from the night before. This traggedy also has stuck with me and is all I can think about it at work. I feel like I'm obsessed to know everything about what happened and about Wyatt. I feel weird for saying this. This is really effecting me emotionally... basically, I think it's because I was at one of those high rise Condo parties a month ago. I'm not really afraid of heights, however I was still nervous about leaning against the railing... I was also over protective of others leaning against them as well. To be honest, I was freaking out... and kept telling people to stop. They thought it was amusing to see me all pysche'd out and kept f'king with me and pretending to put their foot over the railing. One would say I was being a 'puss'. I didn't think it was funny then... I certainly don't think it was funny now!
Tony

New York, NY

#50 Jul 8, 2009
I'm also in Orlando, by the way... Not NY.
anonymous

Orlando, FL

#51 Jul 8, 2009
He wasn't alone very long. People responded immediatly (one of the neighbors kicked down the door to get inside the unit whose balcony he fell on). And the police were there within 10 minutes of it happening.
friend

East Hampton, CT

#52 Jul 10, 2009
I am currently his immediate family's neighbor, and other friends/families have gathered at their house today. It is very sad and my whole family feels terrible. For those who claim he "must have been on drugs", I would like to say that Wyatt was one of the nicest guys one could meet. My heart goes out to his family.
SO sad for my co-worker

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#53 Jul 11, 2009
I would like to say how sorry I am for his blonde friend, She knows who she is. I saw him and spoke to him several times in my office. I would like to say to "HER" I am here if you need me, I think you can figure out who this is, You havent told me about this I only heard on the news. My Prayers and Thoughts are with you my "friend" and his family He was a great guy! He now shares space with my husband in heaven......
Northeast Relative

Somerset, MA

#54 Jul 13, 2009
I am a relative of Wyatt's and want you to know how thankful we all are for your staying with Wyatt until the authorities arrived.

The loss to the entire family is devastating and we all took comfort in your kind actions.

Thank you.

Downtown neighbor wrote:
I would like to share the following in hopes of bringing any kind of comfort to his family and friends. Wyatt fell onto the terrace near my unit and unlike the peope at the party I viewed what happened after he fell since he fell upon the terrace only 5-10 ft from my condo.
My family and I prayed for him while he was in our presense which was almost 2 hours. Since he fell onto the terrace the public couldnít see him nor could the media and even though his body was present I felt his spirit in heaven. I want his family to know that he was unconscious upon impact (this is how it appeared to us). He wasnít all alone suffering. Even though within and outside the condo there was caious everywhere, where Wyatt was laying it was very quiet, peaceful and private. He didnít appear to be suffering or in any pain. He was very still and quiet and I believe he passed away immediately.I hope this brings you comfort to know that we were there with him and he was not alone. We didnít leave our balcony until we knew he had been tended to. Even though he was a complete stranger he has now changed our life forever. He reminded each of us how precious our life is and to not take it for granted. God BlessÖ
a friend

Burgaw, NC

#55 Aug 9, 2009
on drugs wrote:
He had to be on drugs. Why else would someone jump backwards to sit on a balcony railing?
4th of July Balcony fall
in downtown Orlando
ORLANDO -- One man is dead after falling several floors off a balcony at a condominium in downtown Orlando late Saturday.
Police said the man fell from a 17th floor balcony at the Sanctuary Condominiums, on South Eola Drive, onto a fifth floor ledge.
Witnesses on the scene said the man jumped backward to sit on a railing on the balcony, but ended up going over the edge.
The incident remains under investigation.
Whoever wrote this tasteless comment about Wyatt is a heartless, ignorant person who needs to find better ways to occupy their time than writing comments about someone who they didn't even know! I knew Wyatt and he was a wonderful man! Shame on you for trying to talk negatively about a person who died, who you didn't even know! Seriously, you should be ashamed!!!
question marks

Sanford, FL

#56 Aug 31, 2009
Why is it "negative" to wonder what would motivate a reasonable person to jump up on a 17th floor balcony?

I am sorry he passed away, truly I am, but we live here too and Fourth of July will never ever be the same for those of us who witnessed the tragedy.

Imagine those of us who witnessed it and how we felt. Can you imagine????

I think it's natural when you don't have all the facts and you're upset, to wonder if the young man was on drugs. If he wasn't on drugs, fine, but you can't help wondering.

It's interesting that you think it's "negative" to wonder if someone was on drugs. The fact is that a lot of young people DO do drugs and sometimes that causes them to do foolish things.
Interesting that you somehow perceive this as a slam against the young man. Hmmm... not sure I get your line of reasoning, but whatever.

Personally I would never think badly of someone who takes drugs and then makes a stupid split second decision that costs them their lives. Why? Because I am guilty of doing that very thing MANY times when I was young -- the only difference was, I was extraordinarily lucky and my foolish choices didn't end up costing me my life.

Sorry if you interpreted it as some kind of slam or judgment against the young man who died. I couldn't condemn someone for doing the very thing that I've done. On the contrary, it makes me sad. So, the insult was all in your imagination.
His father

Littleton, MA

#57 Oct 13, 2009
Downtown neighbor wrote:
Thank you for sharing this. It is enormously comforting to our family. If you wouldn't mind speaking with us, could you let us know how we might contact you. my e-mail is [email protected]
Love Hate

Wilmington, MA

#58 Apr 29, 2012
http://florida.arrests.org/Arrests/Wyatt_Crag... Go to this website I love him but he had a problem all close friends know this!!
Love Hate

Wilmington, MA

#59 Apr 29, 2012
http://florida.arrests.org/Arrests/Wyatt_Crag...

Check this out I love him but the truth is public information and you cant hide from the truth!!
Local

Orlando, FL

#60 Apr 27, 2013
So, the truth finally comes out - he was arrested for failure to appear for possession of cocaine, and less than a month later he was gone. Silly me for asking if there was a connection between drinking/drugs, and his decision to perch on a 17th floor balcony ledge. No, I wasn't judging him. I was just asking. This poor kid. Nearly four years later I'm still shaken by the memory of that night. I lived across the way at the time and was looking out my window with a friend; there were fireworks all over downtown that night and everyone in the high-rise condos were at their windows and on their balconies, celebrating. I've since moved to another neighborhood, but to this day, I can't drive past that building or attend fireworks at Lake Eola without remembering what happened. So very sad. It really did touch a lot of people who lived in the immediate vicinity -- and there were a lot of us there that night. What a waste and what a tragedy, for his family and loved ones who will have to cope with this loss the rest of their lives. Very sad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min mdbuilder 1,348,322
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 10 min Murph 73,317
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 14 min Joy 509,925
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr tina anne 57,330
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 11 hr zazz 97,823
5000 post wins (Feb '13) 11 hr Princess Hey 4,857
The alphabet (Jun '06) 12 hr Princess Hey 1,623
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages