4th of July balcony fall
friend

Hollywood, FL

#21 Jul 6, 2009
Wyatt was one of the nicest, most polite and positive people I have ever met. I am proud to call him my friend. My love and sincerest condolences go out to his loved ones and family. RIP my friend, you will be missed.
resident

Palm Bay, FL

#22 Jul 6, 2009
i met him that day at the pool and was there at the party as well. I too walked out seconds before it happened. Yes he had been drinking but it was a really mellow party. No one was doing anything but having a few drinks watching the fireworks. It was a horrible accident. I feel so bad for everyone who was there. he really seemed like a nice happy guy.
Michael

Cocoa, FL

#23 Jul 6, 2009
It is too bad he was not drinking, or high on drugs. At least THAT would have explained such poor judgment. There is not much excuse for doing something so dangerous and stupid as sitting on the railing of a balcony 17 floors up, IF you are not intoxicated. Many of us have done stupid things...I guess those of us alive to write about them are just luckier than this poor soul.
Aldo

Oviedo, FL

#24 Jul 6, 2009
I was on the 14th balcony and he passed by and was lying below us on the 5th floor balcony. We immediately called 911. We could see him lying there for a while before anyone got to him but he was not moving after impact. It was on the north side of the building.
local wrote:
Man falls from 17th floor of downtown condo to his death:
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/orange_n...
Fox and CFN13 seem to be the only ones with this story that happened some 12 hours ago. I guess the Sentinel staff are too busy answering hate mail to cover the news...
Anyone know which side of the building this happened on????? I live right across the way, was up late & heard nothing!
Michael

Cocoa, FL

#25 Jul 6, 2009
On my walk today I noted the balcony railings. They appear to be simply a fence like ledge, without much width. What could he have been thinking? Obviously he wasn't.
wow

Lincoln, MA

#26 Jul 6, 2009
i am also TRULY DISGUSTED that people are actually posting accusations about drugs, etc. for the public to see. I am a friend of the entire Cragan family and i am infuriated...imagine how his own family would/will feel if they happen to read that. cut the shit and get some respect
DPL

Denver, CO

#27 Jul 6, 2009
Michael wrote:
On my walk today I noted the balcony railings. They appear to be simply a fence like ledge, without much width. What could he have been thinking? Obviously he wasn't.
Impressive that in your entire life, you have never done anything without thinking.........give it a rest.
Stop the hate already

Lake Mary, FL

#28 Jul 6, 2009
I live in the building next to The Sanctuary. We were out on the balcony only a few minutes after this happened. People screaming, it was a crazy scene. One that I will never forget.

FYI: The balcony railings on the 17th floor are much wider than a typical railing. I could see why a young 25yo might think it was cool to sit on the railing. This does not excuse a lack in judgement, but I know I did some less than smart stuff when I was in my 20's and seemingly indestructible.

Please stop the negative comments about him and his family. It was awful and this is not a time to point fingers and call people "stupid".
cousin of his love NY

Pittsfield, MA

#29 Jul 6, 2009
Wyatt was truly a golden spirited guy. Life was short 25yrs old and perhaps he was an angel among us. He was so generous, polite,exhuberant, and caring guy. His eyes were as the bright sky, his hair was kissed by the golden sun, his tallness could have contributed to awkwardness on a railing not drugs or this or that. For all who did not meet him on this earth can only hope that they reach Heaven because that is where I shall laugh with him again. Wyatt your special ways have left us with a deep void that only your loving memories will fill. Shame on all of you who try to damage a person's reputation after a tragic accident!!!!!!!!!!
Boca Friend

Boynton Beach, FL

#30 Jul 6, 2009
Wyatt was a great guy.Hands down. I can't believe this news! I feel sickened. It is easy to see that he really had a profound impact in a positive way. He was very well liked. Truly truly a ray of sunshine. R.I.P God bless the family.
disgusted by judgement

Oviedo, FL

#31 Jul 6, 2009
I'm truly disgusted by the judgemental comments listed here. Friends and family are in PAIN. Lives have been FOREVER altered. People intimate to this situation are SUFFERING. I mean really.
neighbor

Sanford, FL

#32 Jul 6, 2009
Not judgmental as much as struggling to understand.
College friend

Rochester, NY

#33 Jul 6, 2009
Wyatt was a great guy who i have spent many a night out with and many a day chilling with... he had so much enthusiasm for life, always smiling and always there to brighten up your day... im very sad to see people insinuate that drugs may be involved... thats truely and single handly the most disgusting acqusations to make when people are in mourning and in so much pain...
may wyatts spirit stay with us... Rest in peace my friend
Adam McKenzie

Delray Beach, FL

#34 Jul 7, 2009
To all you fools who are spewing fallacious allegations of drug involvement in this accident I would suggest that you cease and desist.

For those of us who actually know Wyatt, such statement are utterly ridiculous and unfounded. When people a light spirited they may have a tendency to goofy at times. Unfortunately a frequently playful nature has ultimately turned tragic.

"Sgt. Barbara Jones of the Orlando Police Department said Cragan lost his balance and tipped over the edge, landing on the balcony of a fifth-floor unit. He died at the scene."

Our prayers and thoughts are with his family...
Adam McKenzie

Delray Beach, FL

#35 Jul 7, 2009
Sorry, I got so aggravated with the false assertions of drug use I couldn't even type coherently!
For those of us who actually know Wyatt, such statements are utterly ridiculous and unfounded. When people are light spirited they may have a tendency to be rather goofy at times. Unfortunately, a frequently playful nature has ultimately turned tragic.
Ann

United States

#36 Jul 7, 2009
I was at the party as well. For those of you "trying to understand" here is some insight... This tragic accident happened before 10:30pm. No one was at the peak of intoxication by any means. The railing was decortive with pillars and made of stone. The top was actually rounded. Yes, we can agree that it was not the best judgement to sit on the rail however would we be saying this if the accident never happened?
Anyone who saw the accident was greatly impacted. 4th of July will never be the same for many. We can only learn from this terrible event and hope it will never happen again. God Bless Wyatt and all of the loved ones he left behind.
sad about W

Branford, CT

#37 Jul 7, 2009
girl downtown wrote:
<quoted text>
My friends were at the party and informed me that not only was he NOT on drugs, he also wasn't drunk. He also didn't JUMP backwards to sit on the rail, but rather scooted his seat up to sit on it, and a friend saw he was about to lose balance and went forward to settle him, to help him, but it ended up making him lose his balance more and he fell. I'd rather not see an innocent victim of a tragic accident get his name soiled.
He was a Great kid!! It is such a shame. Thank you for clarifying. So many people are devastated about losing him.-- very, very sad!
sad about W

Branford, CT

#38 Jul 7, 2009
Sad Girl wrote:
I was at that party and left just one minute before this happened. He was a very polite man. He did not seem to be on drugs or drunk. He was a fun guy that had a great day with friends and is no longer with us. I am especially sorry for my friends that saw more than anyone should ever see. He is from out of town and his family might not have been notified yet, otherwise I would tell you his name.
We are soo sad and shocked. Thank you for thinking of his friends and family.
Devastated

Sanford, FL

#39 Jul 7, 2009
It sounds like there are conflicting reports about what happened. Family and friends are saying he didn't jump up yet the Orlando Police Dept. is telling another story to all of the news outlets. Did the police talk to everyone there? I am praying for Wyatt and his family. It's a tragedy all the way around.

According to the Associated Press and the Miami Herald:

"Police say 25-year-old Wyatt Cragan was attending a Fourth of July party Saturday night when he jumped up to sit on a balcony railing."

...the Orlando Sentinel:

"Reports show 25-year-old Cragan was at a party on the 17th floor of the luxury condo on S. Eola Drive in downtown Orlando at 10 p.m. when he jumped to sit on the railing."

and WESH Channel 2/the Orlando NBC affiliate:

"Witnesses said Cragan jumped up to sit on the railing of the balcony, lost his balance and fell over backwards.

Michael

Cocoa, FL

#40 Jul 7, 2009
DPL wrote:
<quoted text>
Impressive that in your entire life, you have never done anything without thinking.........give it a rest.
As I wrote (you can't read, I guess) earlier, those of us that have done stupid things are simply luckier than this poor soul.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Earl 1,658,543
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 11 hr ANGHARAD 514,750
Word Association 2 (Jul '10) 12 hr Princess Hey 23,134
Double Fun Word Game (Mar '11) 12 hr Princess Hey 13,411
two words (Jul '10) 12 hr Princess Hey 28,207
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 13 hr Princess Hey 19,714
Happy Cats Purr! 15 hr Cats Rule 4

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages