Randy Pausch dies

Randy Pausch dies

There are 84 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 25, 2008, titled Randy Pausch dies. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

He was 47. Pausch died early Friday at his home in Virginia, university spokeswoman Anne Watzman said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Saddened

Chicago, IL

#67 Jul 25, 2008
what an incredible guy
Michael Lewis

Pittsburgh, PA

#68 Jul 25, 2008
Thank you Randy Pausch

Level 1

Since: Jul 07

San Pedro,CA

#69 Jul 25, 2008
Randy Pausch Lives On!
In our Hearts! In our Dreams!
Thank you GOD!
For the Blessing of this wonderful Man!

We praise You for the Gift of Irretrievable Life!
CKP

United States

#71 Jul 25, 2008
I pray that Randy gave his heart to Jesus before he passed on so we can be assured he is experiencing a beautiful eternity. Randy, I look forward to meeting you in heaven!
Cor

United States

#72 Jul 25, 2008
I pray you accepted Jesus in your heart because I can't wait to meet you in heaven, Randy.
CindyB

AOL

#73 Jul 25, 2008
God bless you Randy, you gave new meaning to life.
Alexas Mommy

AOL

#74 Jul 25, 2008
Our 4 year old daughter, Alexa Renee, was diagnosed with a very rare cancer called Clear Cell Sarcoma of the kidney ( www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexareneemoore ) last June. We were thrown into this Cancer world; a world I never knew existed (and most people still don't know that it exists). I remember when my husband, Tom, e-mailed me Randy's story. In fact, we just ordered his book on Amazon last week. He was living in this world too only on the other end-as the parent. Both 'ends' are horrible. To watch anyone you love suffer is heart-wrenching. Watching your child suffer-well, there are no words to describe this pain. Alexa is full of life, even when she had deadly chemo dripping through her veins, lost nearly ten pounds & underwent radiation therapy treatments-she never lost her spirit. I can't explain enough how important it is to spread awareness for our children, as well as the adults. I welcome you to visit her site and to see another true hero-like Mr. Pausch. My heart goes out to his wife and their three children. I'm sure his 'lecture' will live on in their hearts and minds forever. September is Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month. Please help spread the word for our 'littlest' heroes. God Bless-Debbie Moore (proud mom to SHPWDLWTMBS -Alexa Renee)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexareneemoore
Amazed

Chesapeake, VA

#75 Jul 25, 2008
Well done Randy,well done!

Level 1

San Pedro,CA

#76 Jul 25, 2008
Dear Debbie Moore: In the spirit of Randy Pausch,I have just requested a prayer vigil for Alexa Renee to be conducted worldwide in her and your behalf by Silent Unity, around the clock and around the world ,in hundreds of countries and languages, for a period of thirty days. Know that these powerful prayers are dedicated to the outworking of God's special plan for you and your child.
You and others may request these free prayer vigils by contacting Silent Unity at: www.silentunity.org
or by calling them at:
1-800-669-7729

As a four time cancer survivor,I can tell you that Silent Unity has had a major role in guiding my Life and my recovery and I am forever grateful for their loving care and prayers.
Meg

Washington, DC

#77 Jul 28, 2008
Alexas Mommy wrote:
Our 4 year old daughter, Alexa Renee, was diagnosed with a very rare cancer called Clear Cell Sarcoma of the kidney ( www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexareneemoore ) last June. We were thrown into this Cancer world; a world I never knew existed (and most people still don't know that it exists). I remember when my husband, Tom, e-mailed me Randy's story. In fact, we just ordered his book on Amazon last week. He was living in this world too only on the other end-as the parent. Both 'ends' are horrible. To watch anyone you love suffer is heart-wrenching. Watching your child suffer-well, there are no words to describe this pain. Alexa is full of life, even when she had deadly chemo dripping through her veins, lost nearly ten pounds & underwent radiation therapy treatments-she never lost her spirit. I can't explain enough how important it is to spread awareness for our children, as well as the adults. I welcome you to visit her site and to see another true hero-like Mr. Pausch. My heart goes out to his wife and their three children. I'm sure his 'lecture' will live on in their hearts and minds forever. September is Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month. Please help spread the word for our 'littlest' heroes. God Bless-Debbie Moore (proud mom to SHPWDLWTMBS -Alexa Renee)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexareneemoore
From what I have seen these children who fight deadly diseases could teach we adults a thing or two (or 3 or 4) about being brave. I hope your daughter is safe and healthy. Bless her.
Waldo

Eddyville, KY

#78 Jul 28, 2008
I am not saddened by the death of Randy Pausch. He was given an extraordinary gift in that he had time to say good-by. He had some wonderful things to say about life and living. We all die. We don't all live to our fullest. That was his message.

Most of his heart and soul came though his wife, Jai and their young children. I hope they understand how much they inspired him to be more than what he ever thought he could be.

He was a computer geek. Yes, he inspired his students but he also said things in his book that made me understand that first and foremost in his life was he was a computer geek, or as he said, "a recovering jerk". He mentioned in his book as one way to get ahead was to work late on Fridays. He talked about two types of people Eeyore or Tigger. Only two colors in the crayon box, black and white. This has computer geek all over it. Only right or wrong, 0 or 1, on or off. With his family by his side I hope that he did finally find out that if A. A. Milne had written stories about just two characters, Tigger and Eeyore noone would have read them. If there where only two crayons in the crayon box how plain would that picture be? The world is full of colorful characters and Randy Rausch was one of them, thanks to his family and friends.

He gave his Last Lecture. He wrote with Jeffrey Zaslow his "The Last Lecture" book. This was his legacy to his children. If you can take some of his insights to also become a recovering jerk than his mission was a success. But his advice isn't a one size fits all bit of wisdom.

The main inspiration I find from his book is we all die, most of us do not know when. We should live life to the fullest and enjoy our friends and family everyday as we do not know when our adventure will end.
The Family Guy

Greenwich, CT

#79 Jul 28, 2008
Reflecting on Randy Pausch had led me to consider something: No matter what God you worship, it makes you consider if God has some kind of plan, and if so, did he send Randy here to all of us as some type of Messenger, bringing a message of how life should really be lived, on how we should cherish every moment we have, how we should relate to our loved ones, to our neighbors, our peers, etc. This is the conclusion I have come to regarding the all too short life of Dr. Randy; In some type of Divine way, maybe there was a bigger reason for Randy's existence, and in the years he had battling pancreatic cancer with all of the physical and emotional pain, he exhibited so much grace, so much spirit, so much generosity, that I cant help but wonder if this was really a message from God with respect to how we should all live every day. Again, may God bless Dr. Randy and his family.
AMerican Chick

Lawrence, MI

#80 Jul 28, 2008
We should all look at life they way he did. His speech is something that needs to be taught in schools - Jr. High, High schools. May God Bless and keep watch over his family
Maria-Middletown CT

Rocky Hill, CT

#81 Jul 30, 2008
I have been following Randy's story since he appeared on Oprah last fall, just a couple of weeks after my mom passed away from pancreatic cancer. I always thought I was meant to see him because I am not usually home in time to catch Oprah and just so happened to be home that day. I later found out that he delivered his Last Lecture the day of my mom's funeral in September. I've been checking his website updates faithfully since then. What an amazingly inspirational man, and he has done more to raise awareness of his horrid disease than anyone before him. My thoughts and prayers are with his brave wife and three beautiful children-he has left them an amazing legacy, but they still have to live the rest of their lives without him, which breaks my heart. We can all learn from this amazing man and the words of wisdom he has blessed us with. Rest in peace, Randy, knowing you are one of the very few people who truly made a difference in this world.
he left me inspired

Windsor, CT

#82 Jul 30, 2008
Southbound wrote:
The world is a little poorer today with the passing of this inspirational man. May God bless and keep watch over the family he held so dear. Rest in Peace Dr. Pausch.
I second that comment. What an inspiring individual. The Drs. family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Level 1

San Pedro,CA

#84 Jul 30, 2008
God has ways of delivering essential truths to those in need of him, no matter how unreachable certain ones make themselves.
Praise his Holy Name that you heard his message and will sing his songs.
He was never lost. And now, thanks to Randy's story, you are'nt lost either.
Gladys from Michigan

United States

#85 Aug 3, 2008
It seems deaths come in threes. When Tim Russert and Tony Snow died (both great people in my estimation) I thought who else could die that would leave a big hole in my heart. Then Randy died and that completed that awful 3. I bought his book and watched him every time he was on tv. What an inspiring human being. he's a rare person for sure.

Level 1

San Pedro,CA

#86 Aug 3, 2008
Gladys from Michigan wrote:
It seems deaths come in threes. When Tim Russert and Tony Snow died (both great people in my estimation) I thought who else could die that would leave a big hole in my heart. Then Randy died and that completed that awful 3. I bought his book and watched him every time he was on tv. What an inspiring human being. he's a rare person for sure.
Glady's, though "death in threes" is a popular myth, it is not statistically reliable.
Honoring and cherishing wonderful Human beings is a wonderful process in itself. It reflects your own high aspirations and recognition of the irretrievable GIFT this Life that God gives us really is.
Randy Pausch is a beautiful model of human grace and a perfect example of GOD's GRACE to humanity.
Thank you for being you.

Level 1

San Pedro,CA

#87 Aug 4, 2008
Randy Pausch follow-up: The New York Times continues coverage of Dr. Pausch's last lecture and other related editorial as well as down loadable material and some memorable photos of Randy in their Health Section. All of this editorial is superb and worth the online visit.
Find The NY Times using your browser search tool.
It is definitely worth the effort.

ENJOY! BART
RANDY IS IN HELL

Mansfield, OH

#88 Dec 8, 2008
SORRY, BUT FACTS ARE FACTS. IF YOUR A CHRISTIAN AND TRULY BELIEVE THE BIBLE, THEN RANDY IS BURNING IN COMPLETE AGONY FOR THE REST OF ETERNITY!! HIS PANCREATIC CANCER WOULD HAVE FELT REALLY GOOD COMPARED TO WHAT HE'S GOING THROUGH NOW!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr Reality Check 1,549,962
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 9 hr Murphey_Law 513,197
News Trial Begins For Ex-Army Recruiter Accused Of M... (Aug '11) 15 hr Media dont tell t... 16
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 19 hr zazz 98,423
Has anyone ever had a new appliance fail multip... (Mar '12) Mon dontbuyGE 24
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) Mon Ms Sassy 63,859
Private Jet Charters - Private Yacht Charters -... Jun 25 Inspirationalmill... 1

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages