Oakland Park man shoots pit bull as i...

Oakland Park man shoots pit bull as it attacks his dog

There are 184 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Aug 1, 2008, titled Oakland Park man shoots pit bull as it attacks his dog. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

An Oakland Park man shot a pit bull after he says it got loose and attacked his dog this morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Mister Wizard

Hollywood, FL

#180 Aug 2, 2008
Florida wrote:
Outlaw the ownerships of Pitbulls and other fiesty dogs such as Rottwiellers, Dobermans and the list goes on.
Dude you have never ada a Rottie , I have had 2 in raised by a decent person they are good loving family dogs that will paly and protect your children. Its only if the moron owner raises them to be vicious they turn out thay way. They are very smart dogs and even the police sometimes use them.
Mister Wizard

Hollywood, FL

#181 Aug 2, 2008
correction ada = had,
Emily

Philadelphia, PA

#182 Aug 2, 2008
This guy didn't learn the first time his dog got loose. Some people just should not own dogs. He should be banned from owning any dominant breed again. Buy him a beagle or something.Sadly, he'll probably buy another pitbull, not take care of it properly, another attack will occur, BSL WILL COME, and I will lose my well behaved rescued pit because of this loser.
PETA Supporter

New Orleans, LA

#183 Aug 2, 2008
The Rest of The Story wrote:
<quoted text>
Pulleese, you people are not the dog police, get a grip on reality. You really need a new name though, People Eating Tasty Animals doesn't really convey your message. Remember, if we weren't supposed to eat them, they wouldn't be made out of meat...
You are so wrong. The investigation is already under way. Your statements suggest you are uneducated. PETA cannot help. Thank you for your anticipated support.
PETA Supporter

New Orleans, LA

#184 Aug 2, 2008
Shoot him again wrote:
<quoted text>
"Unjustified shoot" ? Where did you learn American English? There is no such thing. It is called a "shooting", not a "shoot".
<quoted text>
Not when they are attacking and likely in the process of killing someone else's pet. THIS PIT BULL WAS NOT ANYONE'S FRIEND. PERHAPS YOU WOULD HAVE FELT BETTER PUTTING YOUR OWN SELF BETWEEN BOTH DOGS, WHEN THE OWNER COULDN'T EVEN CONTROL IT? Go back to your padded room.
If your repsonse is to only focus on perceived grammatical errors, which people do make, you clearly cannot and do not have much to say. As is common on these forums, large groups of uneducated pet owners spew large amounts of inaccurate statements. You clearly fall into this category. We, at PETA, see this often and realize and accept this. We admit in any large group there will be people like yourself.

We do, though, greatly appreciate your anticipated supoort and will provide you with info on how to join PETA. Thanks so much.
buster doolittle

Anchorage, AK

#185 Aug 2, 2008
i once sawe two pit bulls kill a neighbors dog. ravenous, they could not be seperated. the breed should be outlawed...terrible pets.
buster doolittle

Anchorage, AK

#186 Aug 2, 2008
PETA Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
If your repsonse is to only focus on perceived grammatical errors, which people do make, you clearly cannot and do not have much to say. As is common on these forums, large groups of uneducated pet owners spew large amounts of inaccurate statements. You clearly fall into this category. We, at PETA, see this often and realize and accept this. We admit in any large group there will be people like yourself.
We do, though, greatly appreciate your anticipated supoort and will provide you with info on how to join PETA. Thanks so much.
how understanding of you. PETA does not serve the greater good in any way, shape or form...bunch of nut cases. steak for me for dinner tonight...on the barbie!
Concerned

Minneapolis, MN

#187 Aug 2, 2008
Away this month, just read of attack online. There are far too many pit bulls in Ft. Lauderdale and Broward County. Eventually these animals will attack a resident who will resort to litigation against the state, county or municipality where it takes place. No one should have to worry about being attacked by one of these dogs. Perhaps good owners make a difference but innocent victims can't choose the owners. Muzzles should be made mandatory immediately if the breed can't be banned.
This is bull

Boca Raton, FL

#188 Aug 2, 2008
Until anyone experiences an animal you love being
torn to pieces you don't know what you would do.
It is the most heartbreaking experience I have ever had. I bought this gentle little kitten for
my daughter when she was 8. She begged and I finally gave in. At 16 she had to look out the
window while he was being torn apart by a pitbull
and I won't go into details but it wasn't good.
My neighbor was looking over the fence when she
heard the screams and she is elderly so she was
sick for 2 days from it. He was sitting on our
porch taking a sunbath in OUR BACKYARD !!
Shoot him again

AOL

#189 Aug 2, 2008
PETA Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
If your repsonse is to only focus on perceived grammatical errors, which people do make, you clearly cannot and do not have much to say. As is common on these forums, large groups of uneducated pet owners spew large amounts of inaccurate statements. You clearly fall into this category. We, at PETA, see this often and realize and accept this. We admit in any large group there will be people like yourself.
We do, though, greatly appreciate your anticipated supoort and will provide you with info on how to join PETA. Thanks so much.
No matter how hard you try (and you are certainly struggling), you will not spin my post to your benefit. I support the homeowner, who was forced to resort to this method of last resort in the preservation and defense of an innocent life, which was being attacked by another animal, and shot only after other non-fatal, yet unsuccessful attempts were made to stop this vicious attack.

Clearly, and obviously, you failed to comprehend my original post, and it is solely YOU who is uneducated in this instance. Don't flatter yourself. I absolutely and unequivocally REFUSE to support your demented views or those of your organization. Until YOU are faced with the situation, you will not understand what the homeowner went through, either that, or you will watch your beloved pet be mauled without so much as lifting a finger to defend and save it's life. Shame on you! Too bad you don't show a little more love for the life of an innocent pet.
Trippy

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#190 Aug 2, 2008
He did what he had to do to protect his property, and considering it wasn't the first time the dog attacked, he's justified. Sorry it had to come to this, but if it was me, I would have done the same. I give the guy credit for trying non lethal means before he got the gun.
PETA Supporter

Hollywood, FL

#191 Aug 2, 2008
Shoot him again wrote:
<quoted text>
No matter how hard you try (and you are certainly struggling), you will not spin my post to your benefit. I support the homeowner, who was forced to resort to this method of last resort in the preservation and defense of an innocent life, which was being attacked by another animal, and shot only after other non-fatal, yet unsuccessful attempts were made to stop this vicious attack.
Clearly, and obviously, you failed to comprehend my original post, and it is solely YOU who is uneducated in this instance. Don't flatter yourself. I absolutely and unequivocally REFUSE to support your demented views or those of your organization. Until YOU are faced with the situation, you will not understand what the homeowner went through, either that, or you will watch your beloved pet be mauled without so much as lifting a finger to defend and save it's life. Shame on you! Too bad you don't show a little more love for the life of an innocent pet.
It is clear that you are on the fence with this issue. Your anticipated support for our cause is a diffult choice for anyone. We are very selective with regards to our membership. Soon I will get you information on how to join, as well as the status of the investigation. The facts will come out and you will be proven wrong, again. I am, though, not here to be right. I want to educate you a bit more. Help me help you with this. You sound like you have some potential.

Thank you again
Shoot him again

AOL

#192 Aug 2, 2008
PETA Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
It is clear that you are on the fence with this issue. Your anticipated support for our cause is a diffult choice for anyone. We are very selective with regards to our membership. Soon I will get you information on how to join, as well as the status of the investigation. The facts will come out and you will be proven wrong, again. I am, though, not here to be right. I want to educate you a bit more. Help me help you with this. You sound like you have some potential.
Thank you again
I love your sarcasm!
Captain

Pompano Beach, FL

#193 Aug 2, 2008
I would do the same thing if it attacked my dog.
Wun Hung Lo

Fort Pierce, FL

#194 Aug 2, 2008
PETA Supporter wrote:
The local chapter is already looking into what may be an unjustified shoot. If it is deemed a bad shoot, we will vigorously call for legal action and/or criminal charges to be filed. Shooting dogs is not right. Dogs are our friend.
And if prepared properly they are scrumtious.
Barry

Fort Pierce, FL

#195 Aug 2, 2008
The Pit Bull breed should be banned from existence. There are more horror stories re: this breed than any other.
Barney the Barnicle

Sacaton, AZ

#196 Aug 2, 2008
How many more stories about aggressive pit bulls do we have to hear?

These animals should be OUTLAWED.

Fines of $5,000 should accrue to anyone who owns or harbors a pit bull.

This is just ridiculous!

The government needs to take ACTION to outlaw pits, and make the law have some teeth to it.
DAS

Miami, FL

#197 Aug 2, 2008
Barney the Barnicle wrote:
How many more stories about aggressive pit bulls do we have to hear?
These animals should be OUTLAWED.
Fines of $5,000 should accrue to anyone who owns or harbors a pit bull.
This is just ridiculous!
The government needs to take ACTION to outlaw pits, and make the law have some teeth to it.
HAHAHAHAHAHA........I d rather deal with a PITBULL then a DRUNK DRIVER,And believe me FLORIDA is loaded with them..Oh and DRUG ADDICTS TOO among other Things......Your all acting Like JUDGES........JUDGE NOT,,,,,,
cut all taxes

Auburn, ME

#198 Aug 2, 2008
A bullet for ALL pits
PeopleEatingTast yAnimals

Pompano Beach, FL

#199 Aug 3, 2008
Derek wrote:
<quoted text>
Hispanic is not a race .. genius and I know many Hispanics and NONE own a pit bull ... also just living in Lake Worth tells me that your are a loser .. talk about the pot calling the kettle black !!!
really??? guess it is a gender perhaps???? LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr Henry 1,536,116
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 14 hr zazz 98,403
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... Fri Eagle 12 462
News Deltona tops 90,000 residents in latest Census ... Fri Fitus T Bluster 1
News Research: Dropouts flee area schools (Oct '07) May 24 Willieneal123 55
News Live updates: Universal Orlando's Volcano Bay w... May 24 Cheryl Throne 1
News Wal-Mart bolsters area footprint with two new w... May 24 Cheryl Throne 2

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages