Does diet affect acne?

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Here's a question to ponder: Why is acne common in the Western, industrialized world, while the pimples that plague American kids are rare in developing countries? It's a puzzler -- and one that prompted ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Jan 29, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Voice

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2007

It seems no one has listened to moms and grandmoms when they say "YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT!"

Go on a gluten, dairy and soy free diet and watch your zits dry up and you will feel great too!

Some of the top deadly allergens are GLUTEN, DAIRY & SOY. Why would they put this junk in our food and etc? Cause it's cheap for them to use and the consumer doesn't know better. Read labels and see that food, medication and beauty products are filled with this garbage. Check it out for yourself. Nothing will change until we speak up!
Patty Poke Chops

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2007

My Mammy say if you whack yo' doodle too much it cause pimples!
CHAOS X DRIVE

Pleasanton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2007

Voice wrote:
It seems no one has listened to moms and grandmoms when they say "YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT!"
Go on a gluten, dairy and soy free diet and watch your zits dry up and you will feel great too!
Some of the top deadly allergens are GLUTEN, DAIRY & SOY. Why would they put this junk in our food and etc? Cause it's cheap for them to use and the consumer doesn't know better. Read labels and see that food, medication and beauty products are filled with this garbage. Check it out for yourself. Nothing will change until we speak up!
AND IT WILL REMAIN LIKE IT IS CAUSE PEOPLE GOT NO COHONES TO SPEAK UP.
guy in ftl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2007

so true...the healthier i eat the better my looks and feels. Human skin is the largest organ. Therefore, diet, stress and external environment factors play a major role in its function and health
C Moore Butt

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2007

Zits are a fact of life. Ask H. Wayne.
Eric

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2007

There is a lot of evidence pointing to dairy as a culprit in acne.

For people with severe cyctic acne modifications to diet will do little to no good. In these cases hyper active sebacious glands are to blame. Sometimes the only cure is to physically shrink these glands with an oral retinol based drug therapy such Accutane. There are risks associated with these drugs, but for those who are suffering with no hope, it is a miracle drug.
Itsme

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2007

Cut the dairy, and the caffeine and zit's will clear up. Milk is bad anyway. Check out www.milksucks.com and read about the pus that is in the milk and you will think about it. Also, Caffeine is a stimulant and causes a person to be overactive therefore creating more sweat and clogging the pores. You are what you eat!
yezitdoes

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2007

inextricably linked. diet first. drs. last. no dairy, no meat. eat only whole grains, legumes, fresh fruit and veggies and in weeks, acne improves and eventually disappears, as do other industrial age diseases.
Better Girl

Bonn, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2007

I think this article will answer your question: http://www.acnepilot.com/acne-skin-care/commo...
Gefilte

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2007

I disagree that dairy products cause acne. Have you ever seen a cow with zits?
Gefilte

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2007

I had most of my zits during my college years. I rarely consumed dairy products at that time. My diet mostly consisted of beer.

Since: Feb 07

Burlingame, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2007

duh
Daya

Goose Creek, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2008

I had really bad acne and then at the start of 2008 i made a resolution to lose weight so im eating less geasy food and omre healthy food and I am amazed at how my face is now. It is a lot clearer now since i've been eating better. Here is a article you might be intrested in.
http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...
Lake Worthless

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2008

I had always thought that acne was caused by .
hormones in teenagers more so than diet.
I have a hard time believing that there is pus in
milk since pasturazation would most likely take
care of any impurities. I have never had acne, I have dry skin and was never affected by foods in my diet. I do however believe that some are more prone to certian sensitivities in foods, and just may have sensitive skin as well.
Elizabeth

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2008

Well i am having a debate on another website with someone who will not even contimplate the idea that diet and what we eat and drink can worsen acne, even though i said it was on tv recently "imbarrasing illnesses" that milk will make acne worse and to stop drinking a lot of milk if you have acne. I have researched it and found so much evidence on this site and whikipedia extra and read about peoples personal experieces, i heard years ago that cutting out fatty red meat and refined carbahydrates and sugars and dairy products would help my acne and i find i hardly get spots at all if i follow this diet, i don't think all these foods should be cut out completely, a small amount of milk and low fat yogurt is very healthy and so is bread esspecially wholemeal, but i think if you eat plenty of fresh fruit and veg and have an overall balanced healthy diet with some lean meat and lean chicken and fish, your skin will most likely imrove, unless it is very seroius acne. Milk acne can be cured with healthy diet, washing with the right soaps or washes and using the right moisturisers and make ups. If i see someone with bad acne drinking full sugar coke and biscuits and burgers and crap i am to believe that it will worsen his acne, maybe not but studies do show that a healthy diet improves acne. i sometimes eat something and think oh god i've got a spot, was it that fried bread, i am not used to eating stuff like that could that cause it? I think food can in some cases be a factor in acne even though dermatologists who have never had a spot in their life think it is not. In some cases diet won't help, but we change as we grow so who says something that didn't work when we were 14 won't work when we are 28.
catherine

Dover, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2008

Judged:

Gefilte wrote:
I disagree that dairy products cause acne. Have you ever seen a cow with zits?
um... cows don't drink milk.
annie

Cocoa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2008

I think if someone already has food allergies it is possible for diet to affect acne.When I was a teenager I used nozema and that made me breakout even worse.I think hormones are more to blame than anything .I think eating well,exercise,sleep and keeping your face clean will help.Hormones on the other hand there just isn't much you can do about it.Although I do know someone who did not get their first zit until she was 30something!
billy

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2008

I have changed my diet from greasy fat foods and dairy to fruit and grains for the past two weeks. My face looks even worse than it did before. The diet doesn't change anything.
Sarah

Tempe, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2013

ClearPores Acne Treatment - http://www.clearpores.com/ct/99781 great results in quick time. this helped me reduce the signs of my acne in time for my brothers wedding!

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2013

From 2010-2012, 260,000 people in Somalia died as result of famine. I think I'll take a few pimples AND THANK GOD that I have enough to eat. Oh, and approximately 133,000 of those were children under the age of 5.

The moral of the story:

Stop worrying about milk, gluten, and fat content and be grateful that you are not laying on the ground with a distended belly and flies buzzing up your nose.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Orlando Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE