Big turnout of dogs and officers expe...

Big turnout of dogs and officers expected at Broward K-9 memorial

There are 156 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Jul 23, 2008, titled Big turnout of dogs and officers expected at Broward K-9 memorial. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Three hundred and fifty spots have been reserved for police dogs and their handlers at a memorial service planned today for a Broward Sheriff's Office K-9 killed in the line of duty.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Ben Der Dun Dat

United States

#137 Jul 23, 2008
Einstein wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's start by reminding everyone what Jay from LALA Land commented so graciously about:
"Girl from Sunrise wrote:
I remember donating money a couple of years ago for a non-profit organization that provides bullet-proof vests for K-9s. I wonder if they still exist and their efforts in providing this protection for these amazing dogs. What the cost a BP vest for dogs anyway?
And for this dog, I'll see you in Rainbow Bridge where instead of chasing criminals, you will be chasing rainbows together with my old gone dogs. "
I'll save my direct comments to Jay for last. They will be, um, scathing maybe?
I am ┬┤not the least surprised by the levels of social incompetence shown in the comments by many, among whom Jay surely takes a leading position, but quite managing to finish in this leg of the human race.
To verbally attack cops, dogs and dog lovers in the manner which so many of you above (and, I am sure, below) have done, earns a number of disparaging comments. Unfortunately, most of them will get censored - in this leftist blogoshphere, you can't even type c-o-m-m-i-e without getting that word treated like the most vile of insults. Try it, you will see. If I wanted to insult commies, I would really apply the name to the low-life, socially incompetent retards that have joined Jay from LALA Land. So, those of you in his class, just think of how you would insult me and them think how an intelligent person would express his utter dislike and distaste for your membership in the human race and shared citizenship.
Jay, I did have to think up something special for you, not just for your utter lack of consideration for decent people but for your singling out someone that obviously cared, like Sunrise Girl did. Jay, from LALA Land, you are clearly like so many of your fellow descpicable mental-gangbanger denizens in southern California, or should I say, northern Mexico, a rather putrid piece of cuckaracha scheisse.
I hope CHIPs stops you often and gives you many tickets. They have your ISP, now, and ...:-)
Thank You, Very well put. Reference the vest for dogs. Most have them but in South Florida in the summer or when the temp is above 80 they are useless, the dog overheats in 5 minutes. They are also very restrictive limiting the dogs range of motion, slowing him down and giving the bad guys something to grab ahold of.
Suzy Q

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#138 Jul 23, 2008
Rest in Peace, OOzi.. You are loved and missed. Thank you for your service to the community. We will meet you at the Bridge.
Bruce Miami

Miami, FL

#139 Jul 23, 2008
Oozi-s Mom wrote:
<quoted text>
HIS PARTNER did not discharge his weapon. Oozi's death was a tragedy. Get your facts straight, and stop worrying about your precious tax dollars. The truth is..if a call came out that anyone was in need during that service..men and women with hearts that put their lives on the line everyday would have been there. The road was covered during the service, and many of the attendees VOLUNTEERED to show support and respect to a FALLEN WORKING DOG. Have a little respect.
My apologies o-mom that is how it was written i took it from the story. The handlers fellow officers put thier lives above the life of this canine officer and fired to kill whatever was in the way showing no concern for their fellow officer out of fear. All dogs are heros. Oozi was clearly a brave animal.
Oozi-s Mom

AOL

#140 Jul 23, 2008
Bruce Miami wrote:
<quoted text> My apologies o-mom that is how it was written i took it from the story. The handlers fellow officers put thier lives above the life of this canine officer and fired to kill whatever was in the way showing no concern for their fellow officer out of fear. All dogs are heros. Oozi was clearly a brave animal.
Apology accepted, Bruce. Again, Oozi's death was a complete tragedy, but he died doing what he was trained to do, and my husband (his Dad) came home safe to our family. Oozi would have wanted it no other way. I wish u had the opportunity to meet this amazing animal. I'm not going to read the blogs anymore..it's just upsetting...I should know better, I was just trying to print out a picture for my girls and got caught up in a lot of stupidity. Thank you to those of you expressing sincere condolences. Good night.
thank you

Boca Raton, FL

#141 Jul 23, 2008
YODA- The Master wrote:
sit down and think about this....350 cops, who should be out patrolling our streets and working, have taken the day off to go to a dogs Funeral.
Don't sugarcoat it and try to explain why the dog is different...I love dogs, have had dogs my whole life and realize this is a difficult thing for the OWNER.....of......the......DOG ....but for the rest of the cops to turn this into an event is an excuse to not work.
Civilians are not pukes coppers, we just work for a living, and we have responsibilities to conduct business, as we are paid to do...get to work and send a card.
Are all the cases solved?
Are all the areas secured?
Are all the wanted guys in jail?
Who then, pre-tell has time to go to a funeral, there is business to conduct.
Well said Yoda.
Get A Grip

Lake Worth, FL

#142 Jul 23, 2008
Your Wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a fallen deputy, not merly a dog. Perhaps you dont understand the bond because you've never owned a dog that would take a bullet for you. I think your comments here are way out of line. They are not looking for an excuse. and , by the way, a small number of the Law enforcment officers attending the memorial are even on duty for charlie shift, and many are from other jurisdictions. Dont worry, your precious tax dollars are still at work.
Sorry if i seem a little angry, but your comment was innapropriate.
The dog was an expensive asset and tool that was lost by BSO. Granted, these dogs develop a special bond with their handler/partner and the trainer is deeply affected by the loss of the animal. This loss is most unfortunate. However, the loss of a K-9 IS NOT the same as losing one of the men or women of the Broward Sheriff's Office. I personally find it offensive that the dog's passing is treated like the passing of a human. A little memorial service in the lobby of the PSB would have been quite sufficient to honor and remember Oozi. These K-9's are very special dogs but get a grip people.
The DEPUTY (handler) is fine. His DOG was killed. Lets not lose perspective on the situation. Things could have been much worse.
hey tenne

Boca Raton, FL

#143 Jul 23, 2008
Tennessee Tuxedo wrote:
THESE OFFICERS PUT THEIR LIVES ON THE LINE EVERYDAY, THESE DOGS ARE TRAINED, DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW HOW MUCH WORK AND DEDICATION TO THE DOG, AS WELL AS THE PERSON THIS ALL MEANS, DAYS, WEEKS, THESE PEOPLE AND ANIMALS INTERACT WITH EACH OTHER, TRUSTING EACH OTHER, MORE SO THAN WHAT WE CAN SAY FOR MOST HUMANS, I FEEL FOR THE OFFICER, AND EVERYONE WHO HAS SUFFERED THIS LOSS, IT IS A LOSS, NOT TO JUST THE OFFICER, BUT TO US NOW, THAT DOG WAS MADE TO HELP PROTECT US FROM THUGS, HE'S GONE, BE SYMPATHIC PEOPLE.
thugs you say. muders happen every day down here they need to be on the street looking for the thugs. and yeah i know all about it my dad used to train police dogs and protectin work where i used to all the time and see how it works. trust me. the loss is what happens everyday when humans are murdered. the dog is put there for the bullet so human does not get it. so wake up we need the officers on the streets down here. not at funeral for a dog how ever awesome he may have been.
john

Miami, FL

#144 Jul 23, 2008
how much taxpayer money did this cost the taxpayers? What a waste. In atime when we should look for ways to save money on budgets we have a funeral for a dog with 200-300 paid officers. Is it any wonder the citizens have no respect for these criminals(cops) who steal public taxpayers money.
Get A Grip

Lake Worth, FL

#145 Jul 23, 2008
dmhb Davie Fl wrote:
Yoda.......You dont get it.. Oozie was not just a dog he was a police dog...Its just like he shot an officer. Oozie gave his life to save his handler.
Yoda has a grip on the situation.
You need to get on board.
Regardless of what anyone in law enforcement says, losing the K-9 is NOT like an officer was shot. Losing the animal is bad, but losing an officer is a heart breaker!
Dennis

Miami, FL

#146 Jul 23, 2008
Let's see 250 officers at 250 day equals 62500, plus gas for the county owned vehicles. 4.20 gallon times 250 officers times 5 gallons each. About $5250 in gas not counting wear and tear of vehicle. Probably at least $70k at least. Plus we have these officers not working so the criminals got a free pass today. What a joke. Yes the police are the real criminals, john.
Lauderdale native

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#147 Jul 23, 2008
Who give a damn if a police dog was killed? This is not important news! The Sun Sentinel has hit a new low with this story. Worst newspaper ever.
Tennessee Tuxedo

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#148 Jul 23, 2008
hey tenne wrote:
<quoted text>
thugs you say. muders happen every day down here they need to be on the street looking for the thugs. and yeah i know all about it my dad used to train police dogs and protectin work where i used to all the time and see how it works. trust me. the loss is what happens everyday when humans are murdered. the dog is put there for the bullet so human does not get it. so wake up we need the officers on the streets down here. not at funeral for a dog how ever awesome he may have been.
why not have a funeral for a dog? Don't get irate with me, it's been all over tv, I didn't pin the metal on the dog, I was just giving him the praise he deserves for protecting people like your dad, and others, chill out!
pissed off

Pompano Beach, FL

#149 Jul 24, 2008
Wow really great to know the community appreciates an animal who has apprehended hundreds of criminals.. Don't worry didn't come out of PUBLIC funds

“Share the Road.”

Since: Jul 08

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#150 Jul 24, 2008
Ben Der Dun Dat wrote:
<quoted text>
Police K-9s are an exception to the law. The fault is not withthe Officer but with the City for having the dog in a 4 year old car with no heat alarm.
So if the officer was a responsible handler, knowing there was no heat alarm, why did she still decide to leave the dog in the car? Ask any one of the two million people in jail in America and they will say that it wasn't their fault either.

Law enforcement should not be exempt from any type of law. They are the ones who should be setting examples.
K-9 Handler

Orlando, FL

#151 Jul 24, 2008
I've read some blogs, and I can't believe how utterly stupid some peolpe can be. But I figured out why. These disrespectful people are obviously either liberal tree huggers or people who have ended up on the wrong side of the law once or twice in their life, maybe even on the wong side of a Police K-9. I attended the funneral, on my own time as did MANY other Officers, and drove 2 hours to be there. One blogger even had the nerve to say that OOZI was treated better then some of our soldiers. That is another vote for stupidty. The ceremony was fantastic and honors OOZI well. For those who have no idea about Police K-9's pay attention and think about this: Those dogs go on patrol and provide you citizens with the very blanket of freedom you sleep under every night. In return they only ask for a dog treat, toy and some love. They don't get a paycheck, which should appeal to you people who are so concerned about your tax dollars, and they are asked to always put themselves in harms way. They go into situations that humans are not asked to do. K-9 handlers are not asking for sympathy, just that you RESPECT what Police K-9's do. For the low life's who don't see this, and I know your out there, as one officer said it best, what comes around goes around. And I hope you never find yourself on the wrong side of a Police K-9... Ok, I don't really mean that. God Bless You OOZI.
lab-rat

Boca Raton, FL

#152 Jul 24, 2008
K-9 Handler wrote:
think about this: Those dogs go on patrol and provide you citizens with the very blanket of freedom you sleep under every night. In return they only ask for a dog treat, toy and some love. They don't get a paycheck, which should appeal to you people who are so concerned about your tax dollars, and they are asked to always put themselves in harms way. They go into situations that humans are not asked to do.
Thought about it and since you put it that way, I'm now convinced that you people are abusing the hell out of those animals. Those dogs can't consent to the danger you put them through, yet here we go with the idea of disposable dogs. Pathetic.
YODA- The Master

Alpharetta, GA

#153 Jul 24, 2008
He was trained to do so. I trained dogs, ran a yard in the AF. I loved every dog we worked with, but cmon man...I couldn't get a day off if my own dog died, and 500 guys took the day for someone else's?

I find it rather ridiculous, and I can't believe our cities and counties did not intervene....imagin if a teacher tried to take a day off becasue her cat died or classroom turtle....this is just wrong.
dmhb Davie Fl wrote:
Yoda.......You dont get it.. Oozie was not just a dog he was a police dog...Its just like he shot an officer. Oozie gave his life to save his handler.
YODA- The Master

Alpharetta, GA

#154 Jul 24, 2008
so not true, I worked K9 in the military...you see, some of us retire, and we get into the public and see things from a different perspective...instead of seeing the world as everyone is against us, I know see the world, correctly, where too many government employees believe they have a right to do whatever they want.

The dog was special. The dog did his job. The dog likely also messed in the car, spit on the windows and tore up articles of clothing...those would be bad things in my house, but we are told to dwell on the fact that he was trained (tricked) into rushing face first into a hail of bullets...we used to do that with out Marines and Grunts, and I would betcha that guys in WW1 and WW2 did not get 500 man funerals.

So, is your dog more important than someone's Grandfather that was shot on Normandy?

Or maybe you just don't understand the siss-affication of America and maybe you do believe we should cry over a dog...people, this is what happens when you play with dolls as a young boy....go outside and play sports!
K-9 Handler wrote:
I've read some blogs, and I can't believe how utterly stupid some peolpe can be. But I figured out why. These disrespectful people are obviously either liberal tree huggers or people who have ended up on the wrong side of the law once or twice in their life, maybe even on the wong side of a Police K-9. I attended the funneral, on my own time as did MANY other Officers, and drove 2 hours to be there. One blogger even had the nerve to say that OOZI was treated better then some of our soldiers. That is another vote for stupidty. The ceremony was fantastic and honors OOZI well. For those who have no idea about Police K-9's pay attention and think about this: Those dogs go on patrol and provide you citizens with the very blanket of freedom you sleep under every night. In return they only ask for a dog treat, toy and some love. They don't get a paycheck, which should appeal to you people who are so concerned about your tax dollars, and they are asked to always put themselves in harms way. They go into situations that humans are not asked to do. K-9 handlers are not asking for sympathy, just that you RESPECT what Police K-9's do. For the low life's who don't see this, and I know your out there, as one officer said it best, what comes around goes around. And I hope you never find yourself on the wrong side of a Police K-9... Ok, I don't really mean that. God Bless You OOZI.

“Share the Road.”

Since: Jul 08

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#155 Jul 24, 2008
K-9 Handler wrote:
You are correct. There is a lot of disrespect here. You're probably right in assuming that it's people that are on the wrong side of the law. Service dogs are necessary in many different ways. Police, drug, bomb, search and cadaver dogs. Dogs for the blind. I for one don't care if the service was on or off duty. I know that police dogs are considered almost just another cop on the force. I can see wanting to pay respects. people are a little uptight right now with the economy and oil, etc... they don't want anything like this coming out of their pockets (that is if they really pay taxes), and they don't understand that this didn't.

I am not an animal activist or anything, but if you read my earlier post about the K-9 that died in central Florida in the unattended police car, I would like to hear you're outlook on that situation.

Thanks.
camper of the saints

Miami, FL

#156 Jul 24, 2008
Delvin could have been from anywhere, but he is from LauderKILL.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Nostrilis Waxmoron 1,404,922
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 33 min Princess Hey 19,107
New Game ***Last Word + 2 (Oct '11) 34 min Princess Hey 12,684
News Orlando massacre spurs fear, solidarity among L... 2 hr WasteWater 607
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 hr Earthling-1 60,661
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 5 hr Murphey_Law 513,415
News FDA Signals Relaxing Gay Blood Donation Policy 6 hr Hetero Hank 4

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages