The Orlando Magic add Anthony Johnson...

The Orlando Magic add Anthony Johnson at backup point guard and...

There are 178 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jul 16, 2008, titled The Orlando Magic add Anthony Johnson at backup point guard and.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Eight years ago, the Orlando Magic acquired Anthony Johnson in order to use his expiring contract in a major rebuilding plan.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
MIZZ

Saint Petersburg, FL

#1 Jul 16, 2008
Way to go Otis. I heard that Anthony Johnson recently received his AARP card. I do not forsee much improvement if any for next season. They will have problems resigning Turk too.
d12rocks

Newnan, GA

#2 Jul 16, 2008
just a question do we have bird rights on hedo?
Michael

Palm Coast, FL

#3 Jul 16, 2008
Anthony-freaking-Johnson?!? Are you kidding me? Florida Today and the Memphis newspapers have BOTH been reporting that the Grizzlies have a deal on the table to send Javaris Crittendon to the Magic for Keith Bogans and a 2nd round draft pick, and we go sign Anthony-freaking-Johnson instead?!?!

So, Smith passes Chalmers when he was sitting there at the top of the 2nd round and we could easily have worked a deal to get him; he won't go after Shaun Livingston even though the kid - when healthy - would CLEARLY be an upgrade even over Jameer; he won't pull the trigger on the deal with Memphis; and he lets Keyon walk, and pisses Dwight Howard off in the process.

But don't worry everyone - Anthony-Freaking-Johnson is on the way to save the day!!!

I cannot believe how totally incompetent Smith is. Just damn!
Tboy

Lincoln, NE

#4 Jul 16, 2008
Wow, how exciting! Anthony Johnson! I don't care if Otis Smith cannot put together a coherent sentences, he is a freaking genius!
d12rocks

Newnan, GA

#5 Jul 16, 2008
Michael wrote:
Anthony-freaking-Johnson?!? Are you kidding me? Florida Today and the Memphis newspapers have BOTH been reporting that the Grizzlies have a deal on the table to send Javaris Crittendon to the Magic for Keith Bogans and a 2nd round draft pick, and we go sign Anthony-freaking-Johnson instead?!?!
So, Smith passes Chalmers when he was sitting there at the top of the 2nd round and we could easily have worked a deal to get him; he won't go after Shaun Livingston even though the kid - when healthy - would CLEARLY be an upgrade even over Jameer; he won't pull the trigger on the deal with Memphis; and he lets Keyon walk, and pisses Dwight Howard off in the process.
But don't worry everyone - Anthony-Freaking-Johnson is on the way to save the day!!!
I cannot believe how totally incompetent Smith is. Just damn!
actually they are still loooking for a trade to get javris. he is pretty much a keyon clone without the jumper better passing and more athleticism. oh and he is 6'5". not bad for a thjird string point guard.
Eric

Alpharetta, GA

#6 Jul 16, 2008
As much as you might want to goof on AJ, when he was up here in Atlanta playing this season, the guy provided a spark off the bench for the team. He played a lot like Darrell Armstrong when he was with the Hawks this season.
Luis

Lake Wales, FL

#7 Jul 16, 2008
To the numbers...

Dooling 8.1 pt, 1.4 rb, 1.8 ast
Arroyo 6.9 pt, 1.8 rb, 3.6 ast
----------
Johnson 5.6 pt, 2.0 rb, 3.8 ast

I hope Otis bring something else to the table to at least balance the numbers.

Granted, Johnson is an inch bigger than Arroyo, and like 6 taller than Jammer! I'm not sure how much difference this will do...

We'll see what happend!
JarJar

Sanford, FL

#8 Jul 16, 2008
WAHHH WAAAAAHH. Thats all some of you guys do. Give him a chance, we don't have money to pay anybody DAMN!
JarJar

Sanford, FL

#9 Jul 16, 2008
Dooling 8.1 pt, 1.4 rb, 1.8 ast
Arroyo 6.9 pt, 1.8 rb, 3.6 ast
----------
Johnson 5.6 pt, 2.0 rb, 3.8 ast

Do we really need more scoring? NO. We need a back up who doesn't turn the ball over and can play some "D".
Ace

Astor, FL

#10 Jul 16, 2008
Tboy wrote:
Wow, how exciting! Anthony Johnson! I don't care if Otis Smith cannot put together a coherent sentences, he is a freaking genius!
You obviously know nothing about the game. This is a terrific signing & it gives Otis more leverage with this potential trade. They no longer look desperate to get a PG & they get a quality, veteran in the process that doesn't break the bank. Dooling wants $8-12 mil, do you really think he's worth that! Dwight may be a little upset but he didn't look too broken up yesterday. However, he does has sense enough to know this is a business & Otis is trying to put a better team around him. I can't believe you are even mentioning Livingston. He still hasn't recovered from his latest injury & hasn't started playing ball again & you want the Magic to sign this guy, after 6 years of Grant Hill. Un-freaking believable. I'm so glad Otis is GM & you are just a couch idiot. And everyone thought the hockey guy was stupid. You make him look like a basketball guru.
Forrest Trump

Orlando, FL

#11 Jul 16, 2008
Michael wrote:
Anthony-freaking-Johnson?!? Are you kidding me? Florida Today and the Memphis newspapers have BOTH been reporting that the Grizzlies have a deal on the table to send Javaris Crittendon to the Magic for Keith Bogans and a 2nd round draft pick, and we go sign Anthony-freaking-Johnson instead?!?!
So, Smith passes Chalmers when he was sitting there at the top of the 2nd round and we could easily have worked a deal to get him; he won't go after Shaun Livingston even though the kid - when healthy - would CLEARLY be an upgrade even over Jameer; he won't pull the trigger on the deal with Memphis; and he lets Keyon walk, and pisses Dwight Howard off in the process.
But don't worry everyone - Anthony-Freaking-Johnson is on the way to save the day!!!
I cannot believe how totally incompetent Smith is. Just damn!
Would you just chill out. We need players like Johnson who are sturdy and steady type players. He's been around for awhile and knows his role. People like him will produce when needed. You people on here amaze me time and time again. You all want all-stars on your team. When really all you need is a couple stars and good role players who pay attention to detail and do all the fundamentals things. Johnson will bring that to the table. You're just another couch potato GM just like most of the others on here. You can talk all day but at the end of day you still on the couch watching the Magic play and sportscenter.
Dennis

United States

#12 Jul 16, 2008
Otis keeps signing these old as hell players to compete within a youthful league. I really believe he thinks he can still play,(which was lackluster at best), coach and be the GM at the same time.
Let the coach do his job, Stan may let Otis coach the team for him, when Brian Hill would not allow it. Hence Brian being fired, and Billy deciding last minute, not to make the NBA leap.
Hint to Otis; stay in Maitland at the RDV complex, and keep Big Dollar Bob up there with you during the season. Let the coach ( Spineless Stan) and his players form a bond that will win a championship for Orlando, not to pad Otis' resume.
Tato Nunez

Apopka, FL

#13 Jul 16, 2008
Magic stiil not have a POINT GUARD. Poor magic . sorry , ups , SDorry Otis.
WooHoo

Denver, CO

#14 Jul 16, 2008
Hey, at least Arroyo is out of here. That guy sucks.
Arroyo fans need to leave too.
JOSE PEREZ

Bayamon, Puerto Rico

#15 Jul 16, 2008
Otis, you don't have to go far to find a good and reliable point guard. CA played yesterday against the best of the world and had an exellent game including 16 points an 7 assist. Today he played against Croatia and had 19 points and 6 assist. While others pgs are listening rock and smoking p.., he is working hard for his future.
Forrest Trump

Orlando, FL

#16 Jul 16, 2008
Tato Nunez wrote:
Magic stiil not have a POINT GUARD. Poor magic . sorry , ups , SDorry Otis.
What? Did you type that with your eyes closed?
mightymouthcrv

United States

#17 Jul 16, 2008
Um...I'm going to wait to see how these new players produce before I judge them. But this article on Pietrus doesn't make me too excited about acquiring him:

http://www.examiner.com/x-441-Golden-State-Wa...
lEnO

Buenos Aires, Argentina

#18 Jul 16, 2008
Oh my god, Arroyo scored 19 points against Croatia!!! Now we know he is certainly the next coming of Michael Jordan!! We should take advantage that the other 29 NBA teams are so stupid and are not even offering him a contract for the minimun wage. Let's sign him!
JOSE PEREZ wrote:
Otis, you don't have to go far to find a good and reliable point guard. CA played yesterday against the best of the world and had an exellent game including 16 points an 7 assist. Today he played against Croatia and had 19 points and 6 assist. While others pgs are listening rock and smoking p.., he is working hard for his future.

“Are You Kidding Me? SHAQ left?”

Since: Feb 08

Orlando[Alt.Springs]-Houston

#19 Jul 16, 2008
wah wah wah....blah blah blah....like as if you know everything about free agency or what it takes to get somebody...just because someone is available, that dont mean you can work it in..it takes two.....jeeez...
Personally we are at the same place...suddenly its like Dooling helped us win something...please..he might be vocal or funny in the locker room but he didnt do nothing huge for this team....Yes he was a great guy too but Nothing to cry over.
as far as PG's go...we have not done anything...same situation....so dont tell me Dooling was a game changer or something....OTIS does what OTIS do....He went after Duhon but didnt work out...he does what he cant...He aint no magician man....just relax and enjoy this team....one block at a time... We have great players developing and still trades to be done.
I can beleive ppl are crying over Dooling. He was just OK!
NEXT!!??
Ohh adn Anthony Johnson will help. He is tough minded and can handle PG well.

“Are You Kidding Me? SHAQ left?”

Since: Feb 08

Orlando[Alt.Springs]-Houston

#20 Jul 16, 2008
Ace wrote:
<quoted text>
You obviously know nothing about the game. This is a terrific signing & it gives Otis more leverage with this potential trade. They no longer look desperate to get a PG & they get a quality, veteran in the process that doesn't break the bank. Dooling wants $8-12 mil, do you really think he's worth that! Dwight may be a little upset but he didn't look too broken up yesterday. However, he does has sense enough to know this is a business & Otis is trying to put a better team around him. I can't believe you are even mentioning Livingston. He still hasn't recovered from his latest injury & hasn't started playing ball again & you want the Magic to sign this guy, after 6 years of Grant Hill. Un-freaking believable. I'm so glad Otis is GM & you are just a couch idiot. And everyone thought the hockey guy was stupid. You make him look like a basketball guru.
Ahhh...somebody with some intellectual brains, at last.
Thanks Ace!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr Yeah 1,383,693
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 1 hr Murphey_Law 513,248
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 4 hr IB DaMann 59,529
Word Association 2 (Jul '10) 7 hr Princess Hey 22,971
___Justice For Caylee___Cont. (Feb '10) 10 hr RuffnReddy 25,561
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 16 hr Princess Hey 18,980
Review: Freeman Security Services (Jun '12) Fri Joy Crews 31
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages