Suit filed against Target in slaying at Mount Dora store

Jun 22, 2009 Read more: Orlando Sentinel 43
The son of an elderly Leesburg couple who were stabbed outside the Target store in Mount Dora sued the Minneapolis-based retailer and the store manager today, claiming they should have foreseen the crime that killed his father and critically injured his mother. Read more
RJF

United States

#22 Aug 30, 2009
What happened to the CUACC post before me? That's what I was responding to.

“Proud Southerner”

Level 1

Since: Feb 09

Solsberry, IN

#23 Aug 30, 2009
U R A DUMB BUTT wrote:
You can't fix stupid. If you don't have sense enough to realize the liability a business has in just doing business you should immediately load the bus and go to Washingdumb. Your president has a need for you and he will pay you for your ignorance.
The would be liable if in some way their doing business caused bodily harm or death. How is a whacko in the parking lot any fault of theirs? How could they have any control over the actions of anyone patronizing their stores? If I were to walk in a store and just, I don't know, start throwing things, they would have no way of knowing I was about to do something like that. I could maybe see them being accountable if some of their employees had witnessed the attack and did nothing to stop it or aid the victims. And don't blame me, I didn't vote for him. You are obviously one of the country's slackers looking for an easy payout so you don't have to work. I'll ask you this, if you were having a yard sale and I stopped to look at what you had, and a car drove by and started shooting randomly at your house and I was either injured or killed, do you think YOU should be held responsible if my survivors decided to sue?????
Crooked Crist

Barnesville, OH

#24 Aug 30, 2009
teeje63 wrote:
<quoted text>
The would be liable if in some way their doing business caused bodily harm or death. How is a whacko in the parking lot any fault of theirs? How could they have any control over the actions of anyone patronizing their stores? If I were to walk in a store and just, I don't know, start throwing things, they would have no way of knowing I was about to do something like that. I could maybe see them being accountable if some of their employees had witnessed the attack and did nothing to stop it or aid the victims. And don't blame me, I didn't vote for him. You are obviously one of the country's slackers looking for an easy payout so you don't have to work. I'll ask you this, if you were having a yard sale and I stopped to look at what you had, and a car drove by and started shooting randomly at your house and I was either injured or killed, do you think YOU should be held responsible if my survivors decided to sue?????
Yes If you are killed in a drive by shooting in front of a home having a yard sale and they have homeowners insurance your survivors will be paid. Might not fit in to your world but thats where we's is!
Boycott All Target Stores

Lisle, IL

#25 Aug 31, 2009
All Fortune 500 companies are greedy. But Target takes it too far. At least stores like Walmart will try to work with their customers if there's a problem. Target acts like they don't care in the least......because they don't.

That's what happens when you have a president who gives away money to loser corporations.
Another New Member

Lisle, IL

#26 Aug 31, 2009
As much as I dislike Target, I'm not so sure they should be liable for this one.

But just the same, I hope they get screwed out of a lot of money. It would make up for all the times they've stiffed customers who had to make claims or get effed over by their return policy.
William Knight

Lisle, IL

#27 Aug 31, 2009
It would also make up for all the people who got sick or died from PVC, Blinds & Tainted imports from China....etc.
CUACC

Skokie, IL

#28 Sep 1, 2009
Young people like living dangerously. Maybe that's why Target keeps getting customers despite all the people who have "bought the farm" one way or another in their stores.
On the Outskirts

Lombard, IL

#29 Sep 2, 2009
I like living dangerously. But I still won't go near Target. Being a race car driver is fun at least.

Since: Jul 08

Winter Park, FL

#30 Sep 3, 2009
momma wrote:
OMG, everyone has to find someone to go after for money when some looney bin does something bad.
This is the trend - blame someone - get their money...Target is big, easy money. He'll probably get that money, and the trend will continue. Don't blame him, just understand that its the judicial system.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#31 Sep 3, 2009
Bigbird in Eustis wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the trend - blame someone - get their money...Target is big, easy money. He'll probably get that money, and the trend will continue. Don't blame him, just understand that its the judicial system.
When all is said and done Target will win the case. Unless you have a totally clear cut type lawsuit, which this certainly isn't you can always count on the judges taking the side of the big corporations going all the way up to the Supreme Court.

So Target may be big, but they're anything but "easy money."
Sticks Man

Lombard, IL

#32 Sep 4, 2009
Target is worse than any other retail store I've ever been to in my entire long life.

Their store policies are terrible and they are far more dangerous than that so-called swine flu pandemic. Not because of this, but because of their total disregard for toxic substances they're always exposing the public to.
Unrevealed

Lake Worth, FL

#33 Nov 10, 2009
...What about the employee who die at the Ladies Room...I`m sure Target will cover that up too
Berly

Ocala, FL

#34 Nov 11, 2009
Crazy Ass Kid wrote:
He was my sisters ex boyfriend from high school. He's always been weird. never talked nothing!
his dad was weird too. i never really understood them
im suprised he did this!!
you just said him and his dad was weird and that he was quiet or "never talked" are you really that surprised

as far as suing Target that's a bit ridiculous how can you say they should have known that someone was gonna be killed in their parking lot and how can a judge actually agree with this bs....America has become a money hungry place....no amount of money is gonna bring them back
Cosmo

Maitland, FL

#35 Dec 30, 2009
Sad part is, it will all be settled out of court cause it would cost more to go to trial. I do not believe its Targets fault at all. Who in the world could predict that? If people could predict the minds of crazy people then we would have far less missing children and adults, murders and burglaries. Seriously, how can that be the fault of Target? What are they like psychic now? C'mon! My sister in laws grandfather was kidnapped and murdered in a Walmart parking lot and they did not sue! They caught the guy and he sits in prison. They did not sue Walmart! Give me a break! Its about the money! Even if Target had police there, they are no better in predicting the mind of a criminal either. So in regards to the lawsuit, to me it has no merit.
Journey

Saint Cloud, FL

#36 Jan 3, 2010
Thats why we have insurance.... duh!

“Proud Southerner”

Level 1

Since: Feb 09

Solsberry, IN

#37 Jan 3, 2010
Journey wrote:
Thats why we have insurance.... duh!
And that is why insurance premiums are through the roof, because we have to pay off all these frivolous lawsuits. I keep asking but not getting an answer, What exactly is the price for a human life?????

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#38 Jan 4, 2010
teeje63 wrote:
<quoted text>
And that is why insurance premiums are through the roof, because we have to pay off all these frivolous lawsuits. I keep asking but not getting an answer, What exactly is the price for a human life?????
Lately a lot of the big insurance companies haven't even been paying their claims. If you ever get seriously hurt in a Target Store, you'll find that out the hard way. Sedgwick CMS are huge deadbeats and will find a way not to pay this claim anyway.

People would also be very smart to avoid getting any kind of insurance from State Farm right now. In the last several months they've become the worst.
Self Insured

United States

#39 Jan 4, 2010
I still think the best insurance carrier is the one I use. They always pay their claims right on the spot. It an old well established company called Smith and Wesson, ever heard of them?

“Proud Southerner”

Level 1

Since: Feb 09

Solsberry, IN

#40 Jan 4, 2010
Self Insured wrote:
I still think the best insurance carrier is the one I use. They always pay their claims right on the spot. It an old well established company called Smith and Wesson, ever heard of them?
AMEN.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#41 Jan 4, 2010
Self Insured wrote:
I still think the best insurance carrier is the one I use. They always pay their claims right on the spot. It an old well established company called Smith and Wesson, ever heard of them?
I owned a collection agency for a while. Would have loved using that "insurance company" for personal visits.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 15 min RealDave 1,217,536
News madoff jailed in ponzi scheme (Mar '09) 1 hr Zen_Tangle 21
News Local investors in no mood to toast Bernie Madoff (Feb '09) 2 hr Zen_Tangle 9
Bloomberg Madoff and other Jews (May '10) 2 hr Zen_Tangle 30
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 2 hr Mary NY 495,778
News The 10 commandments of cancer prevention (May '09) 3 hr Angela K 13
My Lily Pond2 (Jun '10) 4 hr HELL ON EARTH 1,585
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 9 hr Zen_Tangle 18,060
More from around the web

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]