Puerto Rico Sucks

Since: Jan 13

United States

#1205 Jan 24, 2013
FACT: Yes, is true: PR has some of the best beaches I have ever seen. Famenco beach is on the ten beaches. But a lot from the sames who claim 'yo soy Boricua' have trash those beaches. So if you decide to go to a beach, we are sandals or any beach footwear. After weekends you'll see tons of trash that if you are not from here you will say "how is this happening to such a beautiful island?" They just don't care, plain and simple. There is trash anywhere you go: on the sides of the roads because they are too lazy to call the city govt. for pick up or to take it to a land fill. On houses you'll see junked cars that will tell you they've been there since the sixties because of the model and the lime that covers it. To sum it up: they don't take pride and love they claim they have to keep the island clean. FACT: If you live in a well to do neighborhood, be aware that if you contract someone or a native company, they will try to charge you higher than normal, not to mention they will do a crappy work. Be also on the lookout for strange behavior like looking around to see what you have (I don't know why). FACT: Neighbors. Oh God! Don't tell anyone about your whereabouts, how much you make, what you do for a living, hobbies, etc. NOTHING! It will spread out like wild fire through the neighborhood before you know it. And if you have no luck at all, most probably you'll get a loud neighbor. But if you're patient enough, you will be able to to tune out-so be patient. Speaking of loud neighbors, I live in a so so well to do area; professionals, doctors, FBI, etc. The other day I decided to smoke a cigar in my open garage after a long day and all of the sudden, my neighbors truck (which he washes three times a week) blasting Z93, a house alarm going off and a hound dog barking without end. Finally I gave up, put the cigar out and said fu%° this and went inside. So many people say 'well, in the states you dont see your neighbors, everyone is to themselves. They are always inside the buildings etc etc.' Well, I rather live like that-you mind your business, I mind mine. Almost forgot: if you are in front of your house doing anything, and I mean anything, people will walk/drive and for some strange reason, they can't help themselves to stare at you or look inside your house. On Christmas that's when consderation for neighbors goes out the window, even in the best 'urbanizaciones'; cherry bombs at 3am? Yep!

United States

#1206 Jan 24, 2013
FACT: Crime. PR has a crime plague that has reach all levels of socio-economic levels, not just caserios which is where most of the drug retailers are. Because of this, murder is the most popular sport after politics. If there is any beef between drog lords or puntos, they will shoot without discrimination: highways, food courts at prestigious malls, neighborhoods... they shoot at their enemy but without any regard to bystanders. Home invasions are another sport, carjacking. In many occasions, the robber is not happy enough to get what he wants once he has it, but for no reason you get shot no matter how old you are. So that brings me back to what I said earlier: don't tell anyone your whereabouts, income etc. Drugs: I'm not going there; I would have to write a book of it, so just go to youtube and type 'zombie island'-very explicict! FACT: festivals: just don't go! This last San Sebastian festival one kid got shot after an argument just because he bumped into somebody. People here with guns think because they have one, they are real men and solve the most insignificant disagreement by shooting. So keep in mind that anyone could br armed. Better yet, think everyone is armed. After the festival it was reported the local govt. collected tons of, and I men tons of trash and recycling materials. There were photos of the centuries old cobble stones streets covered with so much trash you could not see the cobble stones and I'm not exagerating. In reference of the killing there, no one saw anythkng despite this was in the middle of hundreds. But they were able to take pictures , post them on fb and making mocking comments. See the decayed moral on the society? Nobody cares anymore. FACT: animal cruelty is out of control. Horses and dogs are also victims. I don't know why people here fall in love with puppies, don't train them and then is the doggy's fault for peeing on the floor. What follpws is the owner drives the poor dog to a beach or mountaind and discard them ( with some trash btw). And you will almost never see owners walking their dogs. Horses? well, anyone sensible enough will see that someone weighing 280lbs. riding a horse which you can see its ribs and without saddle is inhumane. Back to the dogs: animal cruelty is everywhere, no doubt. But here are so many stranded dogs here that a beach was named 'dog beach'. People fro the states-gringos-that live here (beats why they do) have created non profit organizations to care for them. FACT: government: well simply, third world/neo-colonial political culture courtesy of our 'founders' the Spaniards. Well I guess I'm done. It is not my intention to convince anyone of what it is written here but if you do live here and dont see any of this to be true, then you are part of the problem. And for those who are thinking to to respond with 'leave the island then', save the time because yes, Im leaving this god forsaken island! I mean, I left when I was 19, came back at 25 and left again at 30. Came back in mid forties thinking things where somewhat better but I was wrong. Believe me, I love the music, heritage, the real culture, the arts, mountain and beaches, the food and the stories from the old school but for the rest, I dont want to relate to. PS just go to youtube, type 'puerto rico (fill in the blank) and brace yourself.

United States

#1207 Jan 24, 2013
Please, forgive my spelling-I've been typing this on a small phone with my big a$$ thumbs and is a pain to be doing spell checks.

United States

#1210 Jan 24, 2013
I stand corrected: Almost forgot: puertoricans tend to be 'insulares'. Dont know what insularismo is? Visit http://laacera.com/posts /mafalda/2010/05/insularismo
papi chulo 4eva

Chicago, IL

#1211 Jan 27, 2013
You people talk crap & whine like little girls. Blah blah blah..that's all I hear. Homie 4 life ese vato. My butt smells like crap. Fo shizzle dawg. Yeah baby. Fo real. Aiiiight.
karen baker

Chicago, IL

#1212 Jan 27, 2013
This must be high, he doesn't make any sense. He needs to go back to sleep or getting stoned or whatever he does, & leave us alone. Btw, puerto rico doesn't suck...they blow...jk...lol
karen baker

Chicago, IL

#1213 Jan 27, 2013
Sorry, meant to say he must be high, not this...
Gringo

Miami Beach, FL

#1214 Feb 2, 2013
You guys are morons. Puerto Rico is beautiful. It is simple and friendly. Maybe you expect too much. I happen to like the slow pace. The beaches are VERY clean and I'm from florida(a native). I have a vacation home there because I love to escape the rat race. I agree though that the crime needs to be addressed...
Steve Hill

Moscow, Russia

#1216 Feb 2, 2013
WOW!!! Most people in this columns, I think you guys have no idea what the hell you talking about!!!
*Puerto Rico is probably one of the best places to live in the world...
*85 Degrees all year round
*No Federal Taxes
*6% tax by the government of Puerto Rico
*Great place for business... because Puerto Rico is a consuming country.. Is been great for my business.. I believe you can make a lot of money anywhere you go in the world if that is the person's goal and objective... Most of this people writing in this column is because they really don't live in the very nice areas on the island...

* The best example is if you go to New York City for vacation and decide to get a cheap hotel in the Bronx... I am pretty sure your experience of New York will not be as good as expected... But!!!! if you decide to stay in 5th Avenue or SOHO area.. I am sure you will talking great things of New York....

*People!!! There are nice people everywhere and bad people everywhere too, good areas and bad areas, poor people and rich people.... That is why we all need to work very had and have goals in life in order to live our life the most comfortable way possible... People that complain are just losers that give up in everything they do... Instead of doing something it... Stop complaining people and do something about.. Is the only key for success!!!:)
Steve Hill

Moscow, Russia

#1217 Feb 2, 2013
I am sorry guys too. Puerto Rico is suffering from the drug trafficking...

Do you guys understand where are most of this drugs from Puerto Rico going?
*** First, the drugs are smuggled to Puerto Rico from Colombia, Venezuela, Panama...
*** Let me take a guess this drugs will go to the !!!! United States of America...

If in America people will stop using drugs because is a fact the U.S. is the
1# Drug Consuming Country in the world...???? Do you understand?? You fix the problem with drug addiction and the Drug Dealers will need to find another job... Most of this Big Time Drug Dealers are actually Americans... And most of the Big Big very Big Dealers don't live in the Guettos... They live in 5th Ave for example.. In the best places cities can offer... The guettos are just the small people that work for little money... The big ones live in the rich successful places... Is how the system works guys!!!!
Steve Hill

Moscow, Russia

#1218 Feb 2, 2013
Finally,

Never ask a Multi-Millionaire... How did you made the the 1st Million!

I don't think you will like the answer (If the person is a complete angel)

In order to made that sum of money many illegal things have to be done in order to achieve that... There is where you have the White Collar Crimes) Money Laundering, Financial Frauds, Tax Evasion, but most of the time to get that sum of money the person had to do something...

Puerto Rico is great if you are smart enough in where you choose to live, what car you drive, if you have enough money to go to nice places to eat, money to buy nice clothes and able to be financial secure..

Mexico is cheaper!!! because is Mexico!!!! Is suppose to be cheap!!!!

If you want to live the good life in Puerto Rico... Baby get to work because my best guess is that you are not good enough to live the lifestyle in Puerto Rico!!!
That is why you go to poor nations because they are much cheaper.. and I have nothing against this people.... Puerto Rico is not cheap!!!! You will have to work hard if you want to live the lifestyle, but if you are a person that doesn't have HIGH FINANCIAL RESOURCES (I mean lots of money) you can go where the Springbreakers (Poor Students) from university go... MEXICO!!!! Is crazy, but is true!!!

You think Puerto Rico is expensive!!!!! hahahaha!!! Go to Montecarlo guys... It will be 10 times more expensive!!!! because is made for rich people!!! Puerto Rico is not made for porr people... If you are poor.. Obviously, you will not like Puerto Rico!!! Because you don't have the YACHT behind your house.. Once, you have that lifestyle You will never want to leave Puerto Rico.. I can assure that!!! lol
ummm

Windermere, FL

#1219 Feb 11, 2013
Steve Hill wrote:
because is Mexico!!!! Is suppose to be cheap!!!!
the word is IT'S, not is, you uneducated simian.
La verdad

Windermere, FL

#1220 Feb 12, 2013
Gringo wrote:
You guys are morons. Puerto Rico is beautiful. It is simple and friendly. Maybe you expect too much. I happen to like the slow pace. The beaches are VERY clean and I'm from florida(a native). I have a vacation home there because I love to escape the rat race. I agree though that the crime needs to be addressed...
soooooo, you're comparing vacationing to actually LIVING there??? and you aren't even puerto rican. please, remove yourself from the discussion. part of fixing a problem is admitting there IS one. the people defending the problems tooth and nail all live here, which is stupid within itself. puerto rico needs a serious makeover.
Puerto Rican

Bayamon, Puerto Rico

#1221 Feb 15, 2013
Wow!! So much negativity!!!
I LOVE Puerto Rico.
I live in the Suburbs of San Juan.
I am a white puertorican. And The homes are beoutifull in the suburbs. Most Puerto ricans are white people like in the US and live in San Juan.
I live in a middle-class home it is beoutifull.
And The Suburbs feel like a tropical US suburb.
Everyone is nice and waves at me in my neighborhood.
I work in the Business District and it feels like the Miami business district. I LOVE TRAFFIC!! IT IS AWESOME IT IS SO SLOW AND IT TAKES LONG TO GET BACK HOME!!!
My life is simple: I go to work, Go to Plaza Las Americas and go Home.
It feels like likving in the US.
Puerto Rican

Bayamon, Puerto Rico

#1222 Feb 15, 2013
Fact: Puerto Rico is the most developed nation in the caribean. Puerto Rico has the largest Middle Class and Ritch % which is : 55% of the population.and in big citiess up to 70% of the population like in San Juan.
Puerto Rico has the 2nd largest mall in the US and Latin America.
It has the largest % of White people in the Caribbean. 75% of the population is White.
San Juan has the MOST SEXY PEOPLE IN THE CARIBBEAN.
San Juan is the Financial Capital of the Caribean.
The Suburbs of San Juan are similar to the Suburbs in the U.S.
PR has THE HIGHEST INCOME PERCAPITA IN LATIN AMERICA.
PR HAS THE HIGHES STANDARD OF LIVING IN CENTRAL AMERICA.
Puerto Rico is THE SAFEST ISLAND IN THE CARIBEAN.
Nothing will happen to you unless you are in the drug world.
I don't know why GRINGOS go like saying:
The are ugly brown people.
I hardlly see any BROWN people.
I work and live in San Juan and go shopping to Plaza Las Americas All the time and MOST ARE WHITE AND GOOD-LOOKING!!!
Have you ever seen those White Puerto Rican Women??? THEY ARE THE SEXIEST WOMEN IN THE WORLD!!!
Puerto Rican

Bayamon, Puerto Rico

#1223 Feb 15, 2013
I am actually am American!
I feel "Puertorrican" that's why I say i am Puerto Rican. I am Blonde and I don't feel out of place
Because most are white.
Fact : Puerto Rico is the most Culturally and Racially Diverse Island in the Caribbean.
And what I love about it here is that people aren't cought up with the:" RACE CRAP" like in the US. There is almost NO RACISTM IN PUERTO RICO!!!!!
I dont know why all theese people hate it.
Fact: Puerto Rico is the most developed Nation in the Caribbean.
And so? 55% are Middle class and Ritch people.
A slim majority but STILL a majority.
So ghetto people are everywhere and what???
Atleast we DON'T HAVE A GHETTO!!!
We have small projects here and there.
But THERE ISN'T ANY GHETTO IN THE WHOLE ISLAND!!!
THE largest Project is about 7 streets. Wich is verry small.
There is crime here and there. But it won't affect you unless you are involved in the drug trade.

There are worse places like the Dominican Republic where MOST ARE POOR AND BLACK!!"Not saying that being black is bad".
And The Dominican Republic is a whole SHANTY TOWN. With only a 10% Elite group who works. And the crime is way worse THERE.
You can't drive a Mercedes in Dominican Republic without being carjacked.

Here in Puerto Rico I can drive my Mercedes everywhere. Even in the Poor areas.
I go to the poor area ALL THE TIME!!
With my Mercedes. And well they don't even rob me like in Detroit or NYC or Chicago or somewhere in the US.
They ask me if I'm lost. They show me directions and Old Lady's offer me coffee. Wich I accept.
Puerto Rican Coffee is The best in the world!!! Poor people shouldn't be judged so badlly.
Not all of them atleast.

That's what I love of Puerto Rico:
It's diversity, friendlly people, malls, the suburbs and the forests. Well Im more of a city guy.
Jose

Miami, FL

#1224 Feb 16, 2013
A NEW YORKER wrote:
I myself am a Puerto Rican. I have been living in P.R for about 2 years (maybe a few months shy of 2 yrs whatever). I moved from NY to Puerto Rico, because I HAD pride. Moving to P.R made me lose that pride I had (and I had a lot of pride). Puerto Ricans are in fact lazy; they work only b/c they feel like it’s an obligation or something (cause let me tell you they work like shit). Service here sucks, the people think they are somewhat superior then all the rest of the world ...a.k.a they think their shit don’t stink (4give my French) I can't wait to move back to NY. Everyone in P.R has like depression; hummm I wonder why, a lot of what the previous people have commented about above is 100% true. Puerto Ricans can’t speak English, they are way lazy, it really doesn't take much to impress a Puerto Rican, and it is being destroyed within. The beautiful destinations are very few and take hours just to take a quick look at, people here going 2 a party or club is like going 2 a pub/ sports bar so the social life sucks and you have to put up with so much bullcrap. I WAS A PROUD PUERTO RICAN, NOW I JUST WANT TO MOVE BACK TO NY I HOPE THIS ISLAND SINKS. The only reason why this piece of shit isn’t independent is because Puerto Ricans know if it were to become one they would have to go back to the sugar cane and like I said THEY ARE STR8 UP LAZY.
TRANSLATION... QUE SE JODA PUERTO RICO....DICHO POR UNA BORICUA SIN ORGULLO DE SER UNA. QUE MIERDA ES PUERTO RICO QUE VERGÜENZA ES QUE PUERTO RICO HE CAMBIADO TANTO, Y NO POR EL MAL SI NO POR EL BIEN.
Whether PR, Mexican, Cuban, etc ,etc when you are a NYer who has lived in NY for some time you do not get used to lousy customer service and low to zero political and police standards.

I used to live in NY , born in Cuba and moved to Cuba2 (Miami) about 4 yrs ago and I see much of the same which you complain about "Service here sucks, the people think they are somewhat superior then all the rest of the world ...a.k.a they think their shit don’t stink (4give my French)-it is being destroyed from within"

I take it you ran from the cold , like so many of us?

One thing I have learned is that ethnicity , race is GROSSLY OVER-RATED.

QUE SE JODA MIAMI Y CUBA....DICHO POR UNA CUBANO SIN ORGULLO DE SER UNO.

Mi hermano de NY ,te entiendo y te oigo , es una lastima pero como ni tu ni yo somos unos PC comemierdas "We call it like we see it".
Jose

Miami, FL

#1225 Feb 16, 2013
Puerto Rican wrote:
I feel "Puertorrican" that's why I say i am Puerto Rican. I am Blonde and I don't feel out of place
Because most are white.
Fact : Puerto Rico is the most Culturally and Racially Diverse Island in the Caribbean.
And what I love about it here is that people aren't cought up with the:" RACE CRAP" like in the US. There is almost NO RACISTM IN PUERTO RICO!!!!!
There is crime here and there. But it won't affect you unless you are involved in the drug trade.
There are worse places like the Dominican Republic where MOST ARE POOR AND BLACK!!"Not saying that being black is bad".
And The Dominican Republic is a whole SHANTY TOWN. With only a 10% Elite group who works. And the crime is way worse THERE.
With my Mercedes. And well they don't even rob me like in Detroit or NYC or Chicago or somewhere in the US.
They ask me if I'm lost. They show me directions and Old Lady's offer me coffee. Wich I accept.
Puerto Rican Coffee is The best in the world!!! Poor people shouldn't be judged so badlly.
Not all of them atleast.
It's diversity, friendlly people, malls, the suburbs and the forests. Well Im more of a city guy.
"well they don't even rob me like in Detroit or NYC or Chicago

NYC crime rate is a fraction of what PR or Cuban run Miami's is and one of the safest cities there is , no me vengas con esa mierda porque no estas enganando a nadie.
Jose

Miami, FL

#1226 Feb 16, 2013
Puerto Rican wrote:
Fact: Puerto Rico is the most developed nation in the caribean. Puerto Rico has the largest Middle Class and Ritch % which is : 55% of the population.and in big citiess up to 70% of the population like in San Juan.
Puerto Rico has the 2nd largest mall in the US and Latin America.
It has the largest % of White people in the Caribbean. 75% of the population is White.
San Juan has the MOST SEXY PEOPLE IN THE CARIBBEAN.
San Juan is the Financial Capital of the Caribean.
The Suburbs of San Juan are similar to the Suburbs in the U.S.
PR has THE HIGHEST INCOME PERCAPITA IN LATIN AMERICA.
PR HAS THE HIGHES STANDARD OF LIVING IN CENTRAL AMERICA.
Puerto Rico is THE SAFEST ISLAND IN THE CARIBEAN.
Nothing will happen to you unless you are in the drug world.
I don't know why GRINGOS go like saying:
The are ugly brown people.
I hardlly see any BROWN people.
I work and live in San Juan and go shopping to Plaza Las Americas All the time and MOST ARE WHITE AND GOOD-LOOKING!!!
Have you ever seen those White Puerto Rican Women??? THEY ARE THE SEXIEST WOMEN IN THE WORLD!!!
"Have you ever seen those White Puerto Rican Women??? THEY ARE THE SEXIEST WOMEN IN THE WORLD!!!"

I think PR women are rated the sexiest pero chico por favor no empiezes con la actitud que se ve aqui en cuba libre miami, que nadamas las blancas son bonita.
You are totally wrong

Saint Cloud, FL

#1227 Feb 22, 2013
Puerto Rican wrote:
Because most are white.
Not all of them atleast.
Let's set some facts straight....

http://www.economist.com/node/6980051

^^This article written by a reputable website debunks the prideful shitstorm you typed up concerning your island's economy.

Truth is, Puero rico ranks in the middle as far as economies go in latin america... Which would be great, except when you factor in that pr uses the USD as it's currency and gets help DIRECTLY from the U.S government. The countries ahead of Pr are all emerging economies with little to no help from the U.S, who were all POOR 10 years ago. Pr has slipped to the middle and is slowly crawling to the bottom (read the article I linked you to).

Puerto Rican coffee pales in comparison to Colombian coffee, which actually IS world renowned as being the best from latin america.

Puerto rican woman, while beautiful, also pale in comparison to women from south america, by ALOT. For example, Venezuela has more miss universe crowns than pr.

Puerto ricans also suck at speaking spanish. For example: pronouncing amor as amol, por favor as pol favol, me voy para la casa as voy pa ca'a and carro as caggggggggggggggghoooooo all lend credence to that fact. Poreso muchos latinos dicen que ustedes matan el idioma español/castellano, y lo dejan en vergüenza.

And you indeed have ghettos, tons of them actually. In fact, pr has possibly one of the worst in all of latin america (La Perla) which has had songs & documentaries made about it.

And most boricuas also suck at english, hence why you spelled which, racism, friendly, badly, rich, caught, and very incorrectly.

Finally, if you wanna see truly elite latinos, take a look at the white collar republican cubans living in south florida. Now those latinos ARE elite.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Grey Ghost 1,234,754
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 5 min LizW 498,402
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 6 min Anne 97,268
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 9 min LizW 71,886
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 16 min Red_Forman 17,866
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 16 min LizW 18,155
Double Fun Word Game (Mar '11) 17 min Red_Forman 12,594
More from around the web

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]