Wyndham CEO: Appeal is strong for tim...

Wyndham CEO: Appeal is strong for time shares

There are 297 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Mar 27, 2007, titled Wyndham CEO: Appeal is strong for time shares. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Franz S. Hanning, 53, chief executive officer of Wyndham Vacation Ownership since it was spun off from Cendant Corp.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Jean Moore

United States

#129 Mar 6, 2008
I did the "Please do not call me anymore" letter via email and got a response back from them saying they would remove me from their Do Not Call List and that I would still continue to receive postal mail from them. That was March 2007 and I have never received a phone call from them again NOR HAVE I EVER RECEIVED ANOTHER STATEMENT IN THE MAIL OR ANY OTHER TYPES OF INFORMATION FROM THEM!!!!!!!! This was after I stopped them from taking money directly from my bank account in Jan.2007. I decided they didn't want me to make any further payments when they stopped billing me. LOL>>>>Now they sent me a 1099a to file with my income taxes this year. Any ideas now???? I know I am sending a formal letter to every State Attorney General's with hopes they will finally shut down Trendwest, Wyndham, Worldmark or whatever name they are going by now.
Julie wrote:
If you want these assholes to quit calling daily, you have to send your request in writing, which is below. DO IT!!! I would advise sending it either Registered or Certified mail with delivery receipt. If you have an attorney, send him a copy as well. An email address is listed on the bottom for the loan servicing department if you need to send anything via email.
Collections Manager - Hilary Garber
Worldmark by Wyndham
10750 West Charleston Blvd - Suite 130
LV, NV 89135
Or:
PO Box 93843
Las Vegas, NV 89193
If you have to email them anything, here is an email address:
[email protected]
<quoted text>
Jean Moore

United States

#130 Mar 6, 2008
You may want cancel your AMEX card and read your credit card terms with regards to unauthorized charges to your card. Also, send a certified, return receipt requested, to the customer service department of Trendwest Worldmark Wyndham and loan servicing department and a copy of the letter to your AMEX Card Company, requesting they discontinue debiting your card. This will be the first line of action on your part. Make sure you keep copies for your records and keep a list of time, date, department, person/operator ID and phone numbers you get calls from and that you call and talk to. Plan on getting 3-5 calls a day at all hours, from Trendwest, telling you your interest rate will increase if you don't do the direct debit. That is why I reqested NO PHONE CALLS which led to never receiving another statement because when you stop the calls they put you on a NO CONTACT LIST.
Liliane Scott wrote:
I'm canadian and got sucked into buying in Las Vegas. I have tried to stop the payments from my Amex but cannot do it, Wynham have to send a cancellation letter and stop taking the money, which they won't and I have no choise.
I was told the deal was for that day only and we could not come back the next day, their presentation was convincing showing you how much you would save, but when you think of the fees, you could plan yourself. I want out and just can seem to be able too. I'm calling Wynham today and will try to talk to them, but not sure what the results will be. NEVER give a pre-authorised payment on your credit card, you can't stop it.
Wondering if I could also join the class action suit since I'm canadian.
Thanks
Liliane
Jean Moore

United States

#131 Mar 6, 2008
BTW, this thing has me listed in every location other than where I really am. I am in Rogersville, TN so please ignore the location it has me listed in.
Frustrated

Phoenix, AZ

#132 Mar 10, 2008
Jean Moore wrote:
You may want cancel your AMEX card and read your credit card terms with regards to unauthorized charges to your card. Also, send a certified, return receipt requested, to the customer service department of Trendwest Worldmark Wyndham and loan servicing department and a copy of the letter to your AMEX Card Company, requesting they discontinue debiting your card. This will be the first line of action on your part. Make sure you keep copies for your records and keep a list of time, date, department, person/operator ID and phone numbers you get calls from and that you call and talk to. Plan on getting 3-5 calls a day at all hours, from Trendwest, telling you your interest rate will increase if you don't do the direct debit. That is why I reqested NO PHONE CALLS which led to never receiving another statement because when you stop the calls they put you on a NO CONTACT LIST.
<quoted text>
My husband and I have just about had it with all of the phone calls. Now they are calling 3 and 4 times a day and just hanging up. I refuse to be part of this and I think we are going to get an attorney to stop this harrassment. I am not sending them another penny and they can just do what ever they feel they need to.
rebecca

Cape Girardeau, MO

#133 Mar 11, 2008
A Fellow Timeshare Owner wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you give further details on the location Fairfield/Wyndham property you have, the damage that needs fixing, which exchange company you deal with, etc. to be able to assist you.
Do you have a santa barbara yacht and beahc resort. I think that no one could stay there until Feb 2008. It took years to fix. I think there is a lawsuit start in calfornia over this. did you get a resent notice of a 02/2008 meeting of owners in which if you did not respond you auutomatically gave your proxy to the board. i got my notice after the meeting. I will send you the name of a lawyer looking into this
rebecca

Cape Girardeau, MO

#134 Mar 11, 2008
jkhayward wrote:
<quoted text>I have the same problem. It just doesn't seem fair or ethical. I have owned at the Santa Barbara at Pampano Beach,FL for 11 years. I recently found it on a Priceline search for $140.00 per night. It is listed as a 3 star as well. Does anyone know what it is like since it is repaired? It is open for business right now isn't it?
I have a letter from fairifled wyndham aying it was fit to open on Feb 1, 2008. they ahd to do reapirs and get a permit. Did you get notice of an owners meeting feb 2008. I got my notice after the meeting. If you did not respond you were allowing you vote by proxy to the board. will post a lawyer name looking into lawsits against fairifled
rebecca

Cape Girardeau, MO

#135 Mar 11, 2008
John in SC wrote:
I've owned at Santa Barbara Resort in Pompano Beach for about 13 years. We have enjoyed alot of vacations until Wyndham took over and the storm damaged the building. I've had to pay 1488.00 for a "special assement fee" to repair damage. They say the insurance didn't cover everything but this seems way excessive. I would like to join any class action suit against them for these exorbetent fees!
try the firm of carey and davis LLC attorneys at law of st lois missouri ask for sullivan
rebecca

Cape Girardeau, MO

#136 Mar 11, 2008
rebecca wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a letter from fairifled wyndham aying it was fit to open on Feb 1, 2008. they ahd to do reapirs and get a permit. Did you get notice of an owners meeting feb 2008. I got my notice after the meeting. If you did not respond you were allowing you vote by proxy to the board. will post a lawyer name looking into lawsits against fairifled
sorry for the typo errors. I have a bad finger. Try carey and danis st law of st louis missouri. I have a letter stating it is now open for people as of feb 1, 2008. they had to get a permit and an inspection. I also saw the price line listings. what happened at the last memebers meeting? I got my letter about the proxy after the meeting. IS it being sold? what is going on?
rebecca

Cape Girardeau, MO

#137 Mar 11, 2008
Jean Moore wrote:
I did the "Please do not call me anymore" letter via email and got a response back from them saying they would remove me from their Do Not Call List and that I would still continue to receive postal mail from them. That was March 2007 and I have never received a phone call from them again NOR HAVE I EVER RECEIVED ANOTHER STATEMENT IN THE MAIL OR ANY OTHER TYPES OF INFORMATION FROM THEM!!!!!!!! This was after I stopped them from taking money directly from my bank account in Jan.2007. I decided they didn't want me to make any further payments when they stopped billing me. LOL>>>>Now they sent me a 1099a to file with my income taxes this year. Any ideas now???? I know I am sending a formal letter to every State Attorney General's with hopes they will finally shut down Trendwest, Wyndham, Worldmark or whatever name they are going by now.
<quoted text>
I had a discovery contract. I purchased a fairfield timeshare. I was making timeshare payments. my timeshare contract was rewritten as someone charged me the wrong price to begin with. at this time someone started to take money from my checking account on the old discovery contract. I am quite sure the discovery contract was to stop when I bought the actual timeshare. I had to get a stop payment from a bank. It is ilegal for them to remove money from a checking account or credit card without your permission. You should contact the states attorney's office to complain. the states attorney's office of your state and florida are great places to start. they usually do not get you damages just your money back. a lawyer goes for damages.
I also wnet a time with out a bill. theh they said I owed money I did not. They tried to charge back fees. Ask them for a print out of payments made to your account. the accounting department can get this for you. You can track your payments.
You can also get a copy of your credit report. they report your monthly payment and at times interest rate. It is good to keep record of. There is actually a clause in many of their purchase contracts that states they can charge a higher interest rate aout 1 percent if you do not use direct debit. however, if you have been wrongfully charged or had funds removed they should not raise your rate. when you write to them send things certified. it makes someone sign for them eventually your case will be assigned to a person in cusotmer service. It also creates a record of it. many times when people call they do not put the call into their computer. start a note book of all your letters and calls. if you can tape your calls with them. it is not illegal as long as you announce they are being taped and give them the change to hang up if they do not agree to being taped. IS the 1099 saying that you had income from them. did they mark your account paid in full?

Since: Mar 08

Loxahatchee, FL

#138 Mar 14, 2008
rebecca wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a discovery contract. I purchased a fairfield timeshare. I was making timeshare payments. my timeshare contract was rewritten as someone charged me the wrong price to begin with. at this time someone started to take money from my checking account on the old discovery contract. I am quite sure the discovery contract was to stop when I bought the actual timeshare. I had to get a stop payment from a bank. It is ilegal for them to remove money from a checking account or credit card without your permission. You should contact the states attorney's office to complain. the states attorney's office of your state and florida are great places to start. they usually do not get you damages just your money back. a lawyer goes for damages.
I also wnet a time with out a bill. theh they said I owed money I did not. They tried to charge back fees. Ask them for a print out of payments made to your account. the accounting department can get this for you. You can track your payments.
You can also get a copy of your credit report. they report your monthly payment and at times interest rate. It is good to keep record of. There is actually a clause in many of their purchase contracts that states they can charge a higher interest rate aout 1 percent if you do not use direct debit. however, if you have been wrongfully charged or had funds removed they should not raise your rate. when you write to them send things certified. it makes someone sign for them eventually your case will be assigned to a person in cusotmer service. It also creates a record of it. many times when people call they do not put the call into their computer. start a note book of all your letters and calls. if you can tape your calls with them. it is not illegal as long as you announce they are being taped and give them the change to hang up if they do not agree to being taped. IS the 1099 saying that you had income from them. did they mark your account paid in full?
Hello, They sent me a 1099a that shows a forclosure/abandonment. The outstanding balance owed them is less than the FMV. It does not say it was paid in full other than what I understand from the IRS web site but even that is quite sketchy. IRS keeps referring to a 1099c that may or may not be filed with the 1099a. Read Pub. 544 and let me know what you think of it. You can email me at [email protected] I have had it with them. The only thing you will find on your credit report is if you have missed a payment. They don't report good credit to the bureau Equifax. I have sent a complaint to the US Attorney General and am waiting for a response. Last conversation with Trendwaste was them telling me that everything I have been told by everyone in every department regarding my account during the past 14 months "IS WRONG". When placed on the "Do Not Call List" with Trendwaste, the computer automatically discontinues all contact. NO MAIL, EMAIL, CALLS, CATALOGS, ETC. That is why I stopped paying them. They would not even give me information regarding my account when I would call in unless I would make a payment. Took 4 months to get an account balance when I had a chance to transfer to another person that was willing to take over my account. Guess that is how they keep you from getting out of contract also. Now they have pushed too far when they reported a Vacation Club Membership as a Mortgage and are listing it as a Charge-Off/Repo.
blases1

Colorado Springs, CO

#139 Mar 15, 2008
Please tell me if there is an attorney I can contact (and contact number or email)regarding class action suit or otherwise for fraud and misrepresentation of Wyndham Vacation Timeshare Company.????
800 credit organization

El Paso, TX

#141 Mar 16, 2008
It boils down to not reading the fine print. Just like the credit defaults. People did not read the fine print when tehy signed for the credit card.Tmeshare buyers usuakky go on what a sales person told them. Remember, its only valid if it is in writing. Its like credit repair. You need to read the fine print, get your agreemnts in writing from your creditors and negotiate the best deal you can get. if you do not know how to negotiate financial deals..learn or burn. Timeshares are negotiable too,and always read the fine print no matter what level of pressure you're under. They won't kill you or even hurt you in anyway...well maybe financially if you let them.
Want to Sue Them

Glendale, CA

#142 Mar 16, 2008
PLEASE HELP ME! I was completely taken advantage of. I went to a presentation for a trip I had "won" when I was stationed in Kansas City, MO. They told me I could cancel whenever I wanted. Liars! They then told me after I wrote a letter that they never received it, and then, oh, they found it and I couldn't cancel. They also opened a credit card account in my name, and maxed it out. I told the bank that it was fraud, that I never agreed to the charging, but they would not let me file fraud. I am an unemployed college student, and am hoping this does not ruin me. Someone please help! I want to join a class action law suit against them for misrepresentation and fraud. That or any information that can help me fight this. I just don't know what to do.
[email protected]
CHIP FROM MYSTIC DUNES

Jenison, MI

#143 Mar 18, 2008
Melinda Schneider wrote:
The Kid Rides Again
You sound like you really know what your talking about. My husband and I have recently started looking into a timeshare. With three children, ages 15, 9, and 7, we think it would be ideal as last year just going to Hershey Park cost us $3500. Anyway, i was wondering if you could answer some questions. There are some many different types, units, etc. I have narrowed it down that I think a 3-bedroom lockout, floating would be best for us but what are the points? I am so clueless and the pricing, there is a such a range on them at the same resorts. I don't quite know why. I would appreciate any help/advice you can offer. We were looking into either Mystic Dunes, Summer Bay, or Silver Lake.
Thanks a bunch!
mELINDA - I have a two bedroom time share at Mystic Dunes that is not being used from now until 12/31/07. We need to give Mystic Dunes 60 days advance notice to reserve a week. If you are interested - you could use this unit up until 12/31/08 - for our price of the maintenance fee of the year - which is under $800. I live in Hampton Bays (but am in Sarasota till April) My e mail is [email protected]
CHIP FROM MYSTIC DUNES

Jenison, MI

#144 Mar 18, 2008
Melinda - the date above is incorrect - the times are from June 2008 until 12/31/08
Angela

North Myrtle Beach, SC

#145 Apr 6, 2008
retired agent wrote:
After owning 539000 points at Fairfield Glade Tennessee for 21 years, I have listed them with a local real estate agent & will be lucky to get 5% of my money back. I will NEVER go back there as they have removed all the Bibles from all the units, I asked mg't & got no firm answers, they said this was voted on by the Ass'n directors, I asked for minutes of the meeting & they refused to give them to me!! I asked for the Bibles, they would not tell me where they were.
This is your personal problem, not the problem of the resort!! If you know the bible is the book of choice during your get a way, then why not be a responsible christian and take your own bible! That is a poor excuse! I carry my bible in my car everywhere I go just in case I want to read it!! You need a second hobby!! Get over it!! Life is to short!!!
Jonnel Hunter

Haiku, HI

#146 Apr 15, 2008
Oleg Shambra wrote:
I bought 9000 credits/points in April and I said no to the sales person. She called her Supervisor who said what don't you like about and what can I do to have you buy this. I told him about the cancelation policy where you only have 7 days to cancel and then it's yours 4 ever... He said I will cut you a special deal. Since I have good credit history he said no down-payment (10%) and no payments for 6 months. I would also, his words, "Have one year to try the program and cancel ANYTIME within 1 year!" I belived him and bought it. I came home and called the Customer services number which confirmed to me that if the manager said that it could be done, then it is. I also belived them... Next month I have recieved a month charge for the up-keep of the houses. They took out $1200 for the down-payment and $158 for the loan since I didn't pay the full price right away. I come back to the place where I bought this crap from (Roseville, CA) and the same F@!$ER says, "I didn't say that, You can't cancel this contract!" I am now asking around for legal help for someone to help me get my money back. I had an inturpretur with us who translated the who conversation to my wife and me, even though we didn't need one but the supervisor wanted us to be safe... I'm looking for an attorney who could help me get my money refunded and compensation for going through all this B>S>T. DONT BUY FROM TRENDWEST!!!
I have had the same experience, plus recently have had to retire for medical reasons. Wyndham is ignoring these realities and just responds with "it's your responsibility". I'm a 63 year-old single woman on a fixed income. What can they do? Did you find any legal help?
Jonnel Hunter

Haiku, HI

#147 Apr 15, 2008
I live in Honolulu and would like to know about any class action lawsuits or any lawyer who would talk to them on my behalf. Any advice?
Joe

Rohnert Park, CA

#148 Apr 19, 2008
I live in Ca. and got pressured into buying. I cant afford all these fees ive been paying for a year now and I cant do it any more how can I get out? please email me any info at [email protected]
Frustrated Owner

Silver Spring, MD

#149 Apr 21, 2008
DON'T DO IT! Granted Wyndham has beautiful properties but once they get you in they have you for good. There is no way to get rid of the property and the fees rise every year. Before long you will be paying a mortgage in maintenance fees alone. Also, it is difficult to get any help or customer service from them once you sign the contract. Plan and save for your vacations each year, it is the best way to go.
Melinda Schneider wrote:
The Kid Rides Again
You sound like you really know what your talking about. My husband and I have recently started looking into a timeshare. With three children, ages 15, 9, and 7, we think it would be ideal as last year just going to Hershey Park cost us $3500. Anyway, i was wondering if you could answer some questions. There are some many different types, units, etc. I have narrowed it down that I think a 3-bedroom lockout, floating would be best for us but what are the points? I am so clueless and the pricing, there is a such a range on them at the same resorts. I don't quite know why. I would appreciate any help/advice you can offer. We were looking into either Mystic Dunes, Summer Bay, or Silver Lake.
Thanks a bunch!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min USAsince1680 1,418,493
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 30 min BD Riter 61,032
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 20 hr Milee 73,688
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 20 hr zazz 98,164
last post wins! (Jul '11) Thu Milee 5,970
News Almost one year since gay marriage ruling, LGBT... Thu Fa-Foxy 198
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) Wed T-REX 513,464

Orlando Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages