FPL rate hikes not kosher

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Re: " FPL seeks 30 percent increase in base rate" in your March 19 edition. I read that a primary factor in the increase is to "retain investor confidence" by providing a 12.5 percent rate of return to the company's stockholders.
Comments
1 - 7 of 7 Comments Last updated Aug 1, 2013
Max

West Jefferson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2009

The fact that writer of the LTE compares FPL to Bernie Madoff tells the entire story - clueless.
Rex Steele

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2009

Why clueless?
I thought it was right on.
FPL is raking in the bucks for their "Investors" when they should be helping the masses in the economically hard time.
But like most of these big mega companies, they aren't , all they are worried about is the all mighty buck.
I say let the investors clear only 3-4% for a while.
Last time I checked 3 or 4% of the hundreds of millions that FPL makes will still be a pretty good hall.
I say too bad if they can't make 12.5%, none of us can, why should they?

Since: Dec 06

Boynton Beach, Fl

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2009

Rex Steele wrote:
Why clueless?
I thought it was right on.
FPL is raking in the bucks for their "Investors" when they should be helping the masses in the economically hard time.
But like most of these big mega companies, they aren't , all they are worried about is the all mighty buck.
I say let the investors clear only 3-4% for a while.
Last time I checked 3 or 4% of the hundreds of millions that FPL makes will still be a pretty good hall.
I say too bad if they can't make 12.5%, none of us can, why should they?
I hate it when people like Bello and Rex do not understand what is going on. FPL (not FPL Group) by virtue of being a state defined monopoly has its rates managed by the state to provide about an 8.5% profit.

Neither Rex nor Bello indicate where the 12.5% number comes from, but you can be assured it will not be sanctioned by the state.

Now, FPL Group, is the holding company that includes the FPL we all know and love. Even if the claim is 12.5%, that is fine as long as the utility only provides around 8.5%.

If you really want to see your electric rates go up, just wait until Obama and the Democrats get the unneeded tax in increase called "cap and trade".

Rick
Rex Steele

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2009

The bottom line is they are still feeding their investors pockets.
Let them "enjoy" some lean times for a while.
even if it is 8.5%, why can't they do the 3 or 4% PROFIT on there investment and be happy?
At least they are making something.

Since: Dec 06

Boynton Beach, Fl

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2009

Rex Steele wrote:
The bottom line is they are still feeding their investors pockets.
Let them "enjoy" some lean times for a while.
even if it is 8.5%, why can't they do the 3 or 4% PROFIT on there investment and be happy?
At least they are making something.
Well, would support 12.5% then when the economy improves as a "make up"? I don't think so.

Rick
Rex Steele

Pompano Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2009

Look everybody deserves a profit.
But, when all of their customer are struggling and they want to impose a rate hike just to up the investor confidence, that's screwed up.
When things turn around, then ask then...would I like it no..but it would be better recieved if they weren't trying to get more money just to get more money.
Now, that I think about it, they were actually stupoid to say it was for the investors...
couldn't they come up with a cover lie like hurricanes or something?
Wintergirl

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2013

We're almost done. Hang on.\\

I wish Zimmerman would get his fat behind out of Texas. He's not welcome here. Go home, Kid Killer. Hope Casey wasn't a stowaway.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Orlando Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE