Nude photos get Umatilla fire chief in trouble

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

Fire Chief Richard Shirk resigned Monday, after igniting a scandal by sharing pictures of a fatal accident that included an image of a nearly-nude female victim.

Comments (Page 5)

Showing posts 81 - 95 of95
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Tom K

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

UmatillaFF wrote:
<quoted text>You know I have been watching all of these blogs with the knowledge that people only hear what they want. I was on the scene and know the chief. One thing they left out is that Chief Shirk knew the patient and the patients grandmother very well. He is devastated that this is going on. I know he cant go back and change anything now, and yes he should have double checked the pics before they went out but like he said in his report he didn't intend for those photos to be sent. It was only after he was contacted by someone that he realized it.
He gone now. you don't have to protect his backside. Ya, it is too bad you have lost you benefactor, guess you will have to find a new one. The guy was wrong to publish the pictures. I think he lacks that which a fire chief should have, and it appears that a number of folks feel the same way.
know stuff

Tavares, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
Jilted....
Abused would be a much better description...guy has left tracks!!!
Mad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

It should read " Ghastly nude death photos get perverted fire chief fired with no retirement benefits"
on the job

Leesburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

i am a fireman, and i have known shirk for 20 years, he is a THIEF, a LIAR, to all of you that think he did not know what was on the photo's, think again. If Umatilla had done some digging, they would have found tons of reasons not to hire him,like being arrested for grand theft. He has always treated women like dogs. TRUST ME. He needs to leave florida asap.
mikells family friend

Clearwater, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

Actually if you have done your research or even listened to the news you would know that our sweet, gently, caring friend passed away the same day, just later in the afternoon.
so true wrote:
<quoted text>
SHE was NOT DEAD!!! This woman passed away the next day!!! Her clothes were removed for the medic to provide aid which is typical in a lot of accidents
mikells family friend

Clearwater, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

Obviously you don't know what you are talking about. he was no friend to the family, he is a disgrace to the world. what kind of sick pervert does that? there was no need for those pics to be taken, it was just a sick minded person with nothing better to do. he was asked to leave the scene because he wasn't needed, if he had listened, we wouldn't have gone through the greif we have experienced.
Tom K wrote:
<quoted text> He gone now. you don't have to protect his backside. Ya, it is too bad you have lost you benefactor, guess you will have to find a new one. The guy was wrong to publish the pictures. I think he lacks that which a fire chief should have, and it appears that a number of folks feel the same way.
mikells family friend

Clearwater, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

I agree, he didn't know the family till that unfortunate day. And i 100% guarantee that if he was at the services, he would've been asked to leave. i was there, he wasn't. get your facts straight!
anon wrote:
He did know the family well, she worked in Umatilla for her Grandpa and Grannie-get your facts straight. Shirk also was at the viewing and the funeral.
<quoted text>
mikells family friend

Clearwater, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

what about us? what about all of us that lost a special person that day? his feelings don't matter one bit to any of us that knew and loved her, why should we care about him when obviously that day he didn't care about her? we lost a dear friend and family member that day, all he did is loose his job. he can get another job, we can't replace her and we are left with so many unanswered questions. a person like him should live the rest of his life in confinment because obviously he can not be trusted
Living in a Glass House wrote:
Apparently I am the only one living in a glass house, however as a lifetime resident of Umatilla, I know that to be quite false! I have been reading the comments posted by many individuals who obviously have never made a mistake in their lifetimes and have taken great pleasure in pointing out the mistake of another.
As a personal friend and professional associate of Chief Richard Shirk and an avid supporter of the Umatilla Fire Department, I am outraged at the crucifixion that has taken place over the last several days not only by his community but by many individuals who have no real knowledge of the alleged incident, the man whose life has been destroyed or the community who has been protected and served by not only Chief Shirk but by many others in the Umatilla Fire Department whose names you may never hear. This incident has not only affected Chief Shirk professionally, but on a very personal level, as he has been a friend of the victim and her family for many years and has experienced a great deal of grief and empathy for the family.
The investigation of the incident has not served the people of this community nor Chief Shirk effectively, as it has included many inaccurate facts, misrepresented statements and blatant false information, that has not only resulted in the loss of a very passionate and dedicated professional but many invaluable volunteer firefighters that have served our community with pride and dedication.
Chief Shirk may have made a mistake in releasing one questionable photograph to the professionals within his field, however I am confident that his intentions were to serve his community and brotherhood to the best of his ability. Many references have made regarding the financial rewards of being the paid Fire Chief, however no one has mentioned that Richard Shirk has been a volunteer for the Umatilla Fire Department for over 9 years receiving no pay for the countless hours invested.
It is a tragedy that a community who has been served well by Chief Shirk and the entire department will choose to judge him on this incident. At what point do our elected officials, city leaders and residents recognize that they too have made mistakes and been given an opportunity to learn from them and express their compassion and respect for an individual who served Umatilla with pride and courage? I would challenge the people with sincere interest in our community to express their support and reciprocate some of the respect and dedication shown by Richard Shirk during his service to Umatilla. For all of you perfect people, I hope you have a good friend to support you when you make your FIRST mistake.....it could be your last.
Dana

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2009

Having known Richard, I must say this was by in no means an intentional or deliberate act to "expose" the women.

I had seen the photos on the local news channels and unless you actually enlarge and zoom in on the pictures you can not even see the breast. All I seen was EMS crews working to save a life.

My best assumption is that someone that received it, enlarged the images and they were then sent inappropiatley. That does not by itself indicate misconduct by Shirk. I choose to call those people "gas cans" They lurk around every corner, just waiting to bring down anyone and everyone.

Richard is a 3rd generation Fire-fighter. He holds his position as highly as he does being a Father.
When I met Richard, he was a 22 year old man, who held the care for others with the utmost respect. He even became a Chaplain to further assist the needs of those he may respond to.

To the lovely women who apparently holds a person grudge against Richard and says he got what he deserved because of his "not so perfect past" Remember "Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner has a future"
I am certain we all have done things at Age 21 that we are less then proud of!

He is not the sicko that you all have made him out to be.

I have 3 children and God forbid if anyone of my children were injured in a MVA, I could only pray to have a man like Richard Shirk respond to the scene.

This is a prime example of how the media attempts to destroy peoples lives.

On a comparable note~ My 18 y.o Brother was the passenger in an MVA. He was riding with his Best Friends Uncle, who was drunk.(4 times the legal limit) My Brother passed away after being airlifted. We wanted to know every tiny little detail...Thankfully the FHP officer at the scene, had photographs that he received from the Fire Dept. that arrived on the scene first.
I wanted to place everything together...As horrible as it was, we were so glad to surmise that Christopher didn't suffer...he looked peaceful and what a great feeling it is knowing he wasn't able to feel the horrific pain his body endured.

Of course, everyone is different. But I know our family was so grateful to be able to view those pictures.
It brought us Peace knowing Christopher appeared peaceful.

My prayers are with everyone involved....This matter seems to have gotten way out of control.

Dana
Dana

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

PS...I will gladly share any of the photos, with any EMS worker, that were taken at the scene...as they not only show evidence of the amount of care Christopher received but also Men and Women working their assess off to save a life, displaying a combined effort of all on scene, struggling for the same goal....TO SAVE A LIFE!

It took workers an hour an a half to cut him out of the car. Do you know the relief Christophers mom had when she met the women that made every effort to care for him during that entrapment, the women who held her sons hand and spoke to him. The men and women that were successful in inhibating (yes I know its spelled wrong) him while he laid trapped behind a whole front end of a 2007 Tahoe. We met them all.

Yes...they are pictures EMS could certainly use in a training exercise, so that perhaps maybe the next time the extracation time might be less and they could get to the patient faster.

We take comfort in knowing, with proof...Everything was done for Christopher that was humanly possible.

Like I stated prior...we were so glad to see Christopher was not wailing around in pain as one would have expected.

There are always bigger pictures....This is certainly one of them!
Tom

Gainesville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2014

Where does he work now?
jeff

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2014

I hear tell he is employed with Armor Correctional Services. The private company that is providing health care for the inmates at the Lake County Jail for Sheriff Borders. Don't know if he is allowed to bring his camera phone to work or not.

If so you can rest assured more photo's will be forth coming.
john galbuny

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

Did he have a big one?
JbT

Gainesville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2014

No he's been working as a Lieutenant with Alachua County since 2009. Has a Face Book account called Hooks and Hooligans.
Jtr

Gainesville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2014

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 81 - 95 of95
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

22 Users are viewing the Orlando Forum right now

Search the Orlando Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
New Game ***Last Word + 2 (Oct '11) 6 min Princess Hey 11,844
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 39 min T-REX 478,257
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 45 min RoxLo 1,034,083
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 51 min zazz 95,812
FL 'Hiccup girl' charged with murder in Florida (Oct '10) 2 hr BRONX BABE 1,829
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr litesong 42,984
Review: Apple Academy (Jul '09) 3 hr anonymous 49
•••
•••
•••
•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••