Nude photos get Umatilla fire chief i...

Nude photos get Umatilla fire chief in trouble

There are 97 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jan 8, 2008, titled Nude photos get Umatilla fire chief in trouble. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Fire Chief Richard Shirk resigned Monday, after igniting a scandal by sharing pictures of a fatal accident that included an image of a nearly-nude female victim.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Tis Himself

United States

#1 Jan 8, 2008
You can fix ignorance but you can't fix STUPID!
Daughter of Ret OPD LT

Tallahassee, FL

#2 Jan 8, 2008
Richard is a good man and I am sure his intentions were not evil.
He resigned, he knew he was wrong, he made a mistake.... we all do. Let it be.
Pat

United States

#3 Jan 8, 2008
What a scumbag.
Pat

United States

#4 Jan 8, 2008
Let's try this one: What a bag full of scum.
Bob

Ormond Beach, FL

#5 Jan 8, 2008
Just wondering why her breast was exposed in the first place.
csp

Orlando, FL

#6 Jan 8, 2008
I cannot believe the lapse of judgement some people in leadership positions have. Did he know this was wrong but did it anyway? Or did he not know it was wrong when he clearly should know better. Either way, firing him was the right thing to do.
Bonny

Orlando, FL

#7 Jan 8, 2008
This is one of the worst things I have heard of! What if that was his wife or daughter????
Voter

Longwood, FL

#9 Jan 8, 2008
I am sorry for the family of the young women. How awful they must feel! This man showed worse than a lapse in judgement.
Postdata

Monroe, LA

#10 Jan 8, 2008
Not to mention the lapse of judgement of whoever hired him in the first place. The man was fired from another job for insubordination. I would fire the person that hired him also.
Voter wrote:
I am sorry for the family of the young women. How awful they must feel! This man showed worse than a lapse in judgement.
Sarah 75

Orlando, FL

#11 Jan 8, 2008
Bob wrote:
Just wondering why her breast was exposed in the first place.
They may have tried to remove or cut her shirt off in order to give her CPR. I was in a car accident on I4 back in 2004, and I was *mortified* when I ended up topless in the middle of the street. But they were truly trying to save my life. I am glad they waited until I was in the ambulance to cut my pants off, as I would have ended up completely naked on I4. Emergency medical care isn't always pretty!
once again

Deland, FL

#12 Jan 8, 2008
Please do not defend this loser! This guy has worked for several paid departments and has been FIRED or RESIGNED from all. He has given the paid profession a black eye once again. The city manager should also be held accountable for hiring this guy with his track record.
Just stupid

United States

#13 Jan 8, 2008
The computer age is spawning a lot of criminal acts. Maybe our next generation of kids will know better how to use them or we will need to build bigger jails.
jlc--mamacita

Ocala, FL

#14 Jan 8, 2008
Daughter of Ret OPD LT wrote:
Richard is a good man and I am sure his intentions were not evil.
He resigned, he knew he was wrong, he made a mistake.... we all do. Let it be.
Actually resigning is the smartest thing he could have done. By resigning, he avoids being penalized and having the stunt placed on his record.

Now, when he goes to apply for a new job, the former employers (Umatilla) won't be able to bring that up unless specifically asked about the incident. Whereas if he had fought this, or waited until he was fired, he would have had a tougher time getting rehired elsewhere.
Dizzee Rascal

Milford, NH

#15 Jan 8, 2008
He's FIRED!
John

Denver, CO

#16 Jan 8, 2008
Shirk has a reputation in Lake county of being less then ethical at various departments. He has quit other positions when there were allegations of theft. Today's story is no surprise.

It has been my experience that in some of the smaller Lake county towns and cities (like Eustis and Umatilla), the departments are still run like it's the 'ol boys club. Nepotism, bigotry and racism are still common at all levels.
JimD4

Leesburg, FL

#17 Jan 8, 2008
Did any of you actually see the pictures? They were posted on channel 6 website (I think that's where I saw them) and 90% of them were of the damaged vehicle and accident site, and just a couple were of the emergency workers with the woman. He OBVIOUSLY did not intend this as a sexual thing, I doubt he even realized you could see her chest. I don't know the guy, but I wish people would check out the facts before they crucify him. He made a mistake, IMO not even that big a deal. You can't even tell who the woman is in the picture, EMTs are all over the place, sad the guy has to lose his job over something like this.
The thinker

Orangeville, UT

#21 Jan 8, 2008
What should we expect when education shouldn't be disstracted by implications of a 'sexual nature'.
slipnot

Orlando, FL

#22 Jan 8, 2008
How do you get to become fire chief after you were fired for insubordination! I guess if you can't take orders you just go somewhere else and become chief. Man I got to get me one of those government cheese jobs. Oops! I'm a white guy I can't have one of those jobs.
please

Sterling, VA

#23 Jan 8, 2008
I'd like to see a show of hands of everyone that has made a comment that has actually been a firefighter or EMT. If you haven't, you can't rattle your sabres about what the photos were intended for or not and I would suggest you keep your pie hole shut. I don't know the guy and don't care to know him. I've read as much facts about the case as I need to in order to understand what happened. We use photos and even video to conduct post incident analysis and training. You can't keep the scene that way forever and this is the very same reason law enforcement takes photos; so they can revisit the scene later during their investigation. I don't remember anyone saying he actually posted the photos on the web, but rather emailed them to a couple of other fire departments. If this is the case, I don't see anything criminal about it.
LEEPORT

Cedar Hill, TX

#24 Jan 8, 2008
Other news media stated it wasn't the pictures as much as the comments that were with the attachements emailed.
No mention of that part of the problem?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Tuffet 1,759,325
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 36 min T-REX 517,946
News 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) 1 hr The Peoples Media 3,158
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr FARTS DOG 64,673
News Casey Anthony: Deputy fired for failing to prop... (Apr '09) 20 hr Lee 515
News Former Warner Christian Academy teacher charged... (Oct '08) Fri Terrible choice 103
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) Fri zazz 98,729

Orlando Jobs

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages