Critics want to stop Orlando tow-truc...

Critics want to stop Orlando tow-truck company from 'booting' v...

There are 140 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jun 3, 2008, titled Critics want to stop Orlando tow-truck company from 'booting' v.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

We encourage conversation about our stories and hope you will share your thoughts.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

ah hah

Orange City, FL

#21 Jun 3, 2008
My friend did an art festival downtown & while loading the van afterwards, they put the tow on her car & told her to withdraw $100 cash from a nearby ATM if she wanted the van back. She didn't sell any artwork, although helped create an art event to bring people downtown & had to pay $100.
I've seen them prowling with their walkie talkies ducking around corners waiting for people to park in unused lots. They even use decoy cars to make people think its ok to park there. Or maybe they put up the towaway signs illegally? They are certainly predatory & should be stopped.
Bud

Orlando, FL

#22 Jun 3, 2008
No wonder folks don't shop or go "down town." The City should have taken action a long time ago against this towing company and the problem seems to be more widespread than thought. There is no excuse for this kind of conduct.
kkendric

Winter Park, FL

#23 Jun 3, 2008
Only in the City Beautiful!!!!
Jim

United States

#24 Jun 3, 2008
The simple answer is for the city to de=license the offending company. Why do Orlando city people fail to use common sense?Are they ignorant??? Guess so.

Since: Dec 06

Winter Park, FL

#25 Jun 3, 2008
something is wrong here, I am not from Palm Bay.
Juan

United States

#26 Jun 3, 2008
These same people that park where they are not supposed to are the same ones who cut in line, park in handicapped zones etc. Follow the rules and you will not have a problem.
Bob

United States

#27 Jun 3, 2008
I would put a cap in there /ss. Blow a few knee caps off and see who wants to work for them......
Pink Flamingo

Deltona, FL

#28 Jun 3, 2008
Jim wrote:
The simple answer is for the city to de=license the offending company. Why do Orlando city people fail to use common sense?Are they ignorant??? Guess so.
Agreed, the city contracts with them so the city can break the contract. It does seem rather simple.
doug

Orlando, FL

#29 Jun 3, 2008
Liberals Hate Facts wrote:
First...that's another good reason for me not to go into downtown....
Second...as suggested...I'd simply return with my tools and they could have their busted boot back....as I threw it through the front window of their place of business.
you know LHF thats the first thing i agree 100% with you on i own cordless tools a cordless sawzall would do the trick with a metal blade.
Okie Dokie

United States

#30 Jun 3, 2008
zak wrote:
The Buddy people wants you to move and shop downtown. This is one reason people don't. The city and OPD are really looking like dope's.
Wait until they build the Amway Folley. Then there will be more cars to boot.
<quoted text>
True and True. Why go downtown when there are thousands of things to do everywhere else and not get your car booted or towed.......I haven't been downtown in many years, and have no intention of doing so.
lol

Winter Garden, FL

#31 Jun 3, 2008
tow truck company of orlando are big time criminals...that's why they fit in so good with the rest of the scum in orange county.
Zell

Orlando, FL

#32 Jun 3, 2008
Any comment from our fine Mayor?
mosco

Southwest Brevard Cnty, FL

#33 Jun 3, 2008
When it comes to "the boot", I am surprised there is no industry where you can cut it off the tire for a nominal price. To be fair, many downtown areas need roads to be clear for traffic egress. The issue being for applying "the boot" is interpretation of what constitutes its use. Private companies that suck the lifeblood out of taxpayers with public funds without fear of reprisal, need to be eliminated from the trough of inept government depravity that shadows our nation today.
Dale

Jefferson City, MO

#34 Jun 3, 2008
A cordless Sawzall and a pack of multi-metal blades might make a handy addition to the items Orlando residents keep in the trunk of their car. Just in case.....
Chris

Orlando, FL

#35 Jun 3, 2008
Tow truck drivers deserve to get their behinds whupped if caught in the act of towing or booting, regardless if it is merited or not.
Fred L Wimberly

Bella Vista, AR

#36 Jun 3, 2008
No one mentions the businesses that contract with the tow company and their liability in such matters. The businesses that have this done to even their own customers should have their names published too. These businesses should be shuned by the general public even to the extent that they are put out of business. If a company has such little consideration for their customers then, I believe, they don't deserve to remain in business. The only way to stop this preditory type of action is to strike it at the root--the business that hires such a preditory tow company. I worked for a convienence store company for over 7 years. While, if necessary, they would have a vehicle towed, it was a very rare occurance. I can only think of one in all those years. There were times when a customer's car would break down and the vehicle would remain for as much as a week. Yet those customer's cars were not towed. The businesses should be held responsible to the point of paying the fees for such action!
fishinjeff

Altamonte Springs, FL

#37 Jun 3, 2008
Parking Natzi's!!! Boot me and I will shoot you!!!

“The Truth Can Be Adjusted”

Since: Apr 08

The Great State of Florida

#38 Jun 3, 2008
soflokid wrote:
Here is a suggestion for all of you who have had this happen. Even if you are illegally parked, what right does someone have to immobilze your vehicle, which is personal property? The same thing happend to me, and i was legally parked. But i wasnt going to pay those buzzards a dime! I called a friend of mine who drove me to my house, which was nearby, and i returned with my cordless DeWalt grinder and removed the boot! I got the last laugh, smiling as i drove off leaving the removed boot in two pieces. Eat my dirt!
You Sir, are a Hero! That is what I'm talking about. I'm going to buy one of those and carry it around if I go downtown.
11b10aaa

Moab, UT

#39 Jun 3, 2008
Sounds like a cottage industry might have popped up SAWZAWL BOOT REMOVAL....$20 TO FREE YOUR CAR.
TML

Chicago, IL

#40 Jun 3, 2008
This actually happened to me last week! Granted, I was parked in a tow away space for a total of 2 mins (no joke), I walked up to the TowTruck employee just about to put the boot on! I was told they had to proceed with the booting and I would have to go to their office on OBT and pay $100 cash to remove the boot. However, if I could not get to their office within a few hours, my car would be towed! After a long song and dance and agreeing to dinner with this employee, he removed the boot! And yes, I gave a phony number!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 11 min Princess Hey 18,253
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 12 min An NFL Fan 1,276,765
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 15 min Murphey_Law 502,176
Word Association 2 (Jul '10) 15 min Princess Hey 22,482
The alphabet (Jun '06) 1 hr Doobie Time 1,450
Alphabet Game (Apr '12) 1 hr Doobie Time 9,501
New Game ***Last Word + 2 (Oct '11) 1 hr Doobie Time 12,262
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 2 hr clueless 19,062
Inspiration Lane - Don't Quit (May '09) 5 hr LizW 72,663
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages