Critics want to stop Orlando tow-truck company from 'booting' v...

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

We encourage conversation about our stories and hope you will share your thoughts.
Comments
1 - 20 of 140 Comments Last updated Oct 4, 2013
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Publix Shopper

Winter Springs, FL

#1 Jun 3, 2008
Paul Green needs to put his "booters" over at the Publix on Shine and E. Colonial where dozes of car fulls of Vietnamese routinely park and walk back across Shine to their Asian groceries and restaurants, taking up valuable spaces set aside strictly for Publix shoppers. The abuse is so blatant that these people grin at you as if it is their parking lot and YOU are the intruders. Make their fine $500 as far as I'm concerned.
okw

Orlando, FL

#2 Jun 3, 2008
We should boot the towing companies cars and trucks. While they are booting you - boot them. This guy is a complete moron - someone will give him what he deserves one day, then we will see if it continues.
Diogenes

Houston, TX

#3 Jun 3, 2008
Why can't this company be brought to court by the city for unethical business practices and a ruling be made that they can't do business in Orlando again, ever!

Someone should be thinking "class action lawsuit" by these people mentioned in the article and put this jerk and his company out of business.
soflokid

United States

#4 Jun 3, 2008
Here is a suggestion for all of you who have had this happen. Even if you are illegally parked, what right does someone have to immobilze your vehicle, which is personal property? The same thing happend to me, and i was legally parked. But i wasnt going to pay those buzzards a dime! I called a friend of mine who drove me to my house, which was nearby, and i returned with my cordless DeWalt grinder and removed the boot! I got the last laugh, smiling as i drove off leaving the removed boot in two pieces. Eat my dirt!
Zell

Orlando, FL

#5 Jun 3, 2008
Another good reason not to go downtown!
zak

United States

#6 Jun 3, 2008
The Buddy people wants you to move and shop downtown. This is one reason people don't. The city and OPD are really looking like dope's.
Wait until they build the Amway Folley. Then there will be more cars to boot.
Zell wrote:
Another good reason not to go downtown!

Since: Mar 08

Altamonte Springs, FL

#7 Jun 3, 2008
First...that's another good reason for me not to go into downtown....

Second...as suggested...I'd simply return with my tools and they could have their busted boot back....as I threw it through the front window of their place of business.
Dave Barre

Kissimmee, FL

#8 Jun 3, 2008
The solution is dirt simple. If they boot someone inappropriately they have to pay a fine of 20x the fee they charge. The fine is split between the owner of the vehicle and the city.

What consequence do they have if they get it wrong? Raise the stakes.

RE: towing vehicles from out of the owner's drive way. Grand theft auto. She only needs to have a witness that saw her drive away. They have possesion it is their obligation to prove they did so legally. Perhaps a dash cam would be affordable for them to install.

Property owners have the right to keep people off their property i.e. illegal parking. The car owner - property owner - has a right to hold their property. The towing company should be compelled to prove that they acted legally when they take someone's property without the permission of the property holder.

Simply raising the stakes for the towing company when they get it wrong will go along way to solving this problem.
You are a moron

Orlando, FL

#9 Jun 3, 2008
Isn't there a law against tampering with someone's vehicle in Florida that could be invoked if this moron boots a legally parked car?

What if there was an emergency, would they be liable for damages if they improperly booted a vehicle?

Shouldn't they be liable for damages simply for inconveniencing someone for improperly booting their vehicle?
Orlando Homegrown

Orlando, FL

#10 Jun 3, 2008
Simple fix....give the towing company the "BOOT"! Quite obviously something is out of place when the towing comnpany owner was arrested 2 years ago for how did they put it, "For routinely overcharging vehicle owners"! Shouldn't that send a message to city officials that it might be imperative to change companies! Duh! so now we have this idiot charging $400 to remove a boot! I betcha I'd extract my pound of flesh from that company one way or another! Two can play the game!!
Tired of Stupidity

United States

#11 Jun 3, 2008
This should be downright criminal! I hope the owner of this towing company gets his butt thrown in jail again. He deserves alot worse!
Zell

Orlando, FL

#12 Jun 3, 2008
Buddy Boy doesn't care. Richie Rich got his arena. Buddy is set for life. Nothing else matters to him.

Common working folk (including 70 year old ladies) get the boot. Who care, let them eat cake. How dare they drive in my city. Why are they not taking our world class public transportation instead.
roaddog

Orlando, FL

#13 Jun 3, 2008
My favorite quote is the towing company refused a police ORDER to remove the boot concerning the Coke truck. Usually when most people refuse a police order someone ends up in the back of a police car; whether they're arrested or not might be argued, but refusing the order and getting away with it boggles my mind.
Cold Realist

United States

#14 Jun 3, 2008
I think I'll start carrying my portable oxy-acetylene torch in my truck just for an occasion like this. I always park in a legal zone so if you boot my truck be ready to get your pos boot back in several pieces.
The Kid

United States

#15 Jun 3, 2008
Where is Downtown anyway? Never been there and now for sure never will.
DBB

Orlando, FL

#16 Jun 3, 2008
Shoot 'em. DO NOT TOUCH MY CAR!

Bam...bam
golly gee

United States

#17 Jun 3, 2008
this company may go over the line, but 99% of cars towed belong to cocky a--holes who think they can park anywhere they want on PRIVATE PROPERTY. Those jerks deserve to be towed. If a mistake is made and the property owner notifies the (good) tow companies, the vehicle is released without charge.
Bill

Atlanta, GA

#18 Jun 3, 2008
Why don't they boot the owner of the company, seems he likes to be jailed so maybe they should re arrest him. Revoke his towing permit and put him out of business.
orlnative

Orlando, FL

#19 Jun 3, 2008
From the upper floor of an office building we watch this towing company everyday. They wait across the street from a poorly signed lot, just waiting for someone to park in the lot that does not have a permit. They allow the person to park and leave, then immediately go in and tow the car. Doesn't seem to matter if it's a family or an individual. I've seen them do 11 cars in one day...that's a nice chunk of change from just one lot! They also towed me from my employers parking lot as well, with the sticker in my window. We still had to pay the 100$, only getting it refunded when legal action was mentioned. Watch out for yourselves!
Robert T

Kissimmee, FL

#20 Jun 3, 2008
Diogenes wrote:
Why can't this company be brought to court by the city for unethical business practices and a ruling be made that they can't do business in Orlando again, ever!
Someone should be thinking "class action lawsuit" by these people mentioned in the article and put this jerk and his company out of business.
And maybe the IRS should be brought into the equation too. If they are making people pay them in cash, who wants to bet that not all their profits are being reported as income?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Yeah 1,100,230
China Sees Growth in a Web of Fast Trains (Feb '10) 9 min China Forever 4
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 41 min lmao 46,314
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 1 hr AN other 486,577
3 word game (Jan '11) 1 hr Princess Hey 13,414
The alphabet (Jun '06) 10 hr Doug77 1,047
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 13 hr The Real Missy 17,627
•••
•••
•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Orlando People Search