Nesquehoning church fights to stay open

Parishioners at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Roman Catholic Church in Nesquehoning are fighting the Allentown Diocese's decision to close the church next month -- the first of potentially several appeals to be ... Full Story
typical mcall morons

Allentown, PA

#46 Jun 10, 2008
Hunkie, you really are ridiculous... So instead of receiving the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ at Mass, lets protest by praying the rosary and boycott the Mass. That makes real sense... My friend boycotting the Diocesean officials is one thing, but to boycott the Mass is a poor decision and if you call yourself truly Catholic you will cease and desist these ignorant tirades.

“Her name is "La Reine Blanche"”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#47 Jun 10, 2008
Shame on the Catholic Church for letting these foundations of family and love close. The real reason they have been closed is a direct result of the years of corruptoin by the underhanded hierarchy of the church. They spent decades building the trust of thousands in the diocese and around the world all the while lying to them. They hid behind the cloth. They are cowards. Now the churches that were built by the sweat of those who trusted and followed in faith will be closed because of greed and corruption. SHAME!
The hypocricy is sickening.
Melt down your golden chalices and gold threaded robes to pay for the crimes and cover-ups you kept hidden from the faithful. Instead you'll take from them yet again. Just like you took the trust of so many.
Don't believe its for any other reason than to pay those who's lives have been turned on their heads. They didn't have a hard time keeping the parishes running throughout the years of abuse because they needed somewhere to hide the pediphiles and perverts that stole the innocense of countless children and their families.
SHAME!
Claiming there isn't enough priests? check out the diocese website: 153 parishes, 244 diocesan & 66 religious priests? Sounds like you were taking in a few pedophiles from other diocese to hide out.
Still can't trust these "men of the cloth"
http://www.allentowndiocese.org/history.html
Tell us the truth for once Bishop Cullen!
overthetop

Greensboro, NC

#48 Jun 10, 2008
Kennidad75, thank you. You left out one thing that kept us in faith, years of guilt.

“Her name is "La Reine Blanche"”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#49 Jun 10, 2008
overthetop wrote:
Kennidad75, thank you. You left out one thing that kept us in faith, years of guilt.
Religion is all driven by the alnighty dollar, absolute power and fear.
Lets see

Old Forge, PA

#50 Jun 11, 2008
If the Church offerings are so high in the other two parishes that are to close, then I guess the good people of ICC need to start coughing up more dough each week.This talk of an elevator is just plain stupid.When there is a power outage, how will you get the people out?IF there is ever a fire, how will you get the people out in time? I don't believe St. Frances or even the almighty Chief living behind ICC would be able to manage that one!At Christmas and Easter, how in the Good Lord's name are you going to handle that mass of people trying to get into and out of mass? It will take forever to even get the congregation into the building to start the mass!They have chosen to close a Church where there are little repairs required. OLMC is safer (which is another reason that the almighty chief should justify his pathetic votes) and easier to enter with more accessible exits should there be an emergency. ICC is going to put the parish in front of the shotgun each time a repair is needed, pay or lose the church. Who wants to attend a church, support a church, when that is hanging over each week. Needless to say, there will never be a week where cliff does not request money. Finally, how in the world does the diocese expect TWO parishes to follow down to ICC when the fearless leader won't even leave OLMC rectory because it is nicer and more modern???????? Does anyone remember when he canceled mass at ICC because the snow was not removed, however, there was no issues to hold mass at OLMC?As far as the posts about italians and other ethnic backgrounds, this is not (I hope) about that, this is about a biased decision by a group of people that showed malice towards the superior church for their own personal gain. Two fought for their church, understood. Two have other motives, let's see, one LIVES RIGHT BEHIND THE CHURCH AND DOES NOT WANT IT TO BE SOLD TO THE UNKNOWN OR LEFT ABANDONED! Also, the vote was quite unreasonable and unfair and showed the dissention, voting for OLMC as the last place was just dishonest and even those supposed God fearing people will have to live with that lie. No offense to Sacred Heart, that was a beautiful Church and it was certainly friendlier than ICC.Cliff needs to either move to ICC rectory or move OUT of this parish altogether. If you can't lead by example, we don't need you.
Interesting

Sparta, NJ

#51 Jun 11, 2008
Lets see wrote:
If the Church offerings are so high in the other two parishes that are to close, then I guess the good people of ICC need to start coughing up more dough each week.This talk of an elevator is just plain stupid.When there is a power outage, how will you get the people out?IF there is ever a fire, how will you get the people out in time? I don't believe St. Frances or even the almighty Chief living behind ICC would be able to manage that one!At Christmas and Easter, how in the Good Lord's name are you going to handle that mass of people trying to get into and out of mass? It will take forever to even get the congregation into the building to start the mass!They have chosen to close a Church where there are little repairs required. OLMC is safer (which is another reason that the almighty chief should justify his pathetic votes) and easier to enter with more accessible exits should there be an emergency. ICC is going to put the parish in front of the shotgun each time a repair is needed, pay or lose the church. Who wants to attend a church, support a church, when that is hanging over each week. Needless to say, there will never be a week where cliff does not request money. Finally, how in the world does the diocese expect TWO parishes to follow down to ICC when the fearless leader won't even leave OLMC rectory because it is nicer and more modern???????? Does anyone remember when he canceled mass at ICC because the snow was not removed, however, there was no issues to hold mass at OLMC?As far as the posts about italians and other ethnic backgrounds, this is not (I hope) about that, this is about a biased decision by a group of people that showed malice towards the superior church for their own personal gain. Two fought for their church, understood. Two have other motives, let's see, one LIVES RIGHT BEHIND THE CHURCH AND DOES NOT WANT IT TO BE SOLD TO THE UNKNOWN OR LEFT ABANDONED! Also, the vote was quite unreasonable and unfair and showed the dissention, voting for OLMC as the last place was just dishonest and even those supposed God fearing people will have to live with that lie. No offense to Sacred Heart, that was a beautiful Church and it was certainly friendlier than ICC.Cliff needs to either move to ICC rectory or move OUT of this parish altogether. If you can't lead by example, we don't need you.
Excellent, you hit all the right points.
Hunkie

Washington, DC

#52 Jun 11, 2008
typical mcall morons wrote:
Hunkie, you really are ridiculous... So instead of receiving the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ at Mass, lets protest by praying the rosary and boycott the Mass. That makes real sense... My friend boycotting the Diocesean officials is one thing, but to boycott the Mass is a poor decision and if you call yourself truly Catholic you will cease and desist these ignorant tirades.
To paraphrase JoseMaria Escriva, the Rosary can be a powerful weapon.

And so can a BOYCOTT. There is no strict theological requirement for weekly mass attendance and so I am not leading the faithful into error.

I am sure the Morning Call would like to cover the rosary sections.

SI SE PUEDE
Shame on YOU

Novato, CA

#53 Jun 11, 2008
Novato CA wrote:
Belive & Pray Pray Pray- You are a fool. you have no clue as to the injustice that took place during this process. You must be a member of the ICC-Shame
Maybe you should use your energy on a good cause like the starving children in this evil world.
I agree

Mountain Top, PA

#54 Jun 11, 2008
I totally agree with Interesting. The Fire Chief, who is also the Emergency Management Rep for the boro voted to keep the ICC opened. How could this be,his vote was with total malice and he disregarded his duties as the one who should have put the welfare of the people first. There was an earlier post that asked that the members of the committee answer to the people. Also Cliff needs to pack his belongings and go back to where he came from, And I mean his reglious roots!!
Shame on YOU

Novato, CA

#56 Jun 11, 2008
Lets see wrote:
If the Church offerings are so high in the other two parishes that are to close, then I guess the good people of ICC need to start coughing up more dough each week.This talk of an elevator is just plain stupid.When there is a power outage, how will you get the people out?IF there is ever a fire, how will you get the people out in time? I don't believe St. Frances or even the almighty Chief living behind ICC would be able to manage that one!At Christmas and Easter, how in the Good Lord's name are you going to handle that mass of people trying to get into and out of mass? It will take forever to even get the congregation into the building to start the mass!They have chosen to close a Church where there are little repairs required. OLMC is safer (which is another reason that the almighty chief should justify his pathetic votes) and easier to enter with more accessible exits should there be an emergency. ICC is going to put the parish in front of the shotgun each time a repair is needed, pay or lose the church. Who wants to attend a church, support a church, when that is hanging over each week. Needless to say, there will never be a week where cliff does not request money. Finally, how in the world does the diocese expect TWO parishes to follow down to ICC when the fearless leader won't even leave OLMC rectory because it is nicer and more modern???????? Does anyone remember when he canceled mass at ICC because the snow was not removed, however, there was no issues to hold mass at OLMC?As far as the posts about italians and other ethnic backgrounds, this is not (I hope) about that, this is about a biased decision by a group of people that showed malice towards the superior church for their own personal gain. Two fought for their church, understood. Two have other motives, let's see, one LIVES RIGHT BEHIND THE CHURCH AND DOES NOT WANT IT TO BE SOLD TO THE UNKNOWN OR LEFT ABANDONED! Also, the vote was quite unreasonable and unfair and showed the dissention, voting for OLMC as the last place was just dishonest and even those supposed God fearing people will have to live with that lie. No offense to Sacred Heart, that was a beautiful Church and it was certainly friendlier than ICC.Cliff needs to either move to ICC rectory or move OUT of this parish altogether. If you can't lead by example, we don't need you.
I thought a church was a place for a "community" to gather and come together as a "Parish" NOT a place where this one is better than that one??? What is going on in this world? SAD.
Shame on YOU

Novato, CA

#57 Jun 11, 2008
I agree wrote:
I totally agree with Interesting. The Fire Chief, who is also the Emergency Management Rep for the boro voted to keep the ICC opened. How could this be,his vote was with total malice and he disregarded his duties as the one who should have put the welfare of the people first. There was an earlier post that asked that the members of the committee answer to the people. Also Cliff needs to pack his belongings and go back to where he came from, And I mean his reglious roots!!
SMALL Town. SMALL Minds.
The Raging Italian

Sparta, NJ

#58 Jun 11, 2008
What do you mean Small Town Small Minds? Do you have any idea of our ethnic traditions? Or of the shady, underhanded way people like McArdle and Fr. Cliff went about making this decision? The malice out there is so thick you can cut it with a knife.
Shame on YOU

Novato, CA

#59 Jun 11, 2008
The Raging Italian wrote:
What do you mean Small Town Small Minds? Do you have any idea of our ethnic traditions? Or of the shady, underhanded way people like McArdle and Fr. Cliff went about making this decision? The malice out there is so thick you can cut it with a knife.
I understand fully about "ethnic traditions" I am FULL Italian. I was also raised Catholic and also know how SMALL MINDED SMALL TOWN Catholic people can be! Now, I don't mean ALL of them, however a good number of them. I went to church all the time and saw the hypocrisy all around me. I think it's sad that any church has to close, but I think it's sadder when a town is torn apart instead of coming together. Are they acting like a "Good Catholic" and loving their neighbors? I think not! Sad.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#60 Jun 11, 2008
I believe the parishioners of this church have a right to fight for their beliefs. The parishioners did not make this fight about a building Bishop Edward Cullen did when he made the people on the committee chose a building over the people. There is talk of people leaving the Catholic Church (and I don't mean going to another Catholic Church) in this town which could result in a 30 to 50% reduction of parishioners and money that would be needed to pay for the elevator, which still doesn't address the issue in case of a fire. People's faith in this community has been shaken as they were told to pray to God, the Holy Spirit and all the Saints for help in having the Diocese make the right decision. Instead a few imposed their will because of past squabbles or other vendettas. It appears the Diocese and these people feel you can only gather in God's name in the church they chose not where the people want to go. Pray for the reversal of this decision that there can be peace in this community.
I agree

Mountain Top, PA

#61 Jun 11, 2008
The fact is that people used their position for personal gain. This is completely wrong. At no time should a husband & wife have been chosen, And as far as "Frankie & Johnnie" / "Johnnie" just neglected his civic duties and the other one is a fool. I bet his son in law is going to treat him to a special treat this fathers day.......
dude

Philadelphia, PA

#62 Jun 11, 2008
i see one theme running throughout all these comments - a lack of leadership, true leadership in the diocese. it is time for a leader who will put the needs of the families of the allentown diocese first and not their own self serving interests.
The Raging Italian

Sparta, NJ

#63 Jun 11, 2008
In response to Shame on You, It's very difficult for a town to come together and love their neighbors when those neighbors and even the priest have animosity toward a particular ethnic group. There absolutely was malice towards OLMC. That is a fact.
Shame on YOU

Novato, CA

#64 Jun 11, 2008
The Raging Italian wrote:
In response to Shame on You, It's very difficult for a town to come together and love their neighbors when those neighbors and even the priest have animosity toward a particular ethnic group. There absolutely was malice towards OLMC. That is a fact.
I highly doubt that! Are you thinking clearly??? He's a Priest for God's sake! It's not his decision. He is just doing his job! I feel for the poor guy. Sounds like a witch hunt like the Catholics did in Salem!!!!I think you need to take a step back and think long and hard look! Life is too short and sounds like you are on the wrong path.

“Come Be a Fool with Me”

Since: Nov 07

Kingston, PA

#65 Jun 11, 2008
kennidad75 wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion is all driven by the alnighty dollar, absolute power and fear.
"Religion" is bad, indeed.
Wrong

Allentown, PA

#66 Jun 11, 2008
Shame on YOU wrote:
<quoted text>
I highly doubt that! Are you thinking clearly??? He's a Priest for God's sake! It's not his decision. He is just doing his job! I feel for the poor guy. Sounds like a witch hunt like the Catholics did in Salem!!!!I think you need to take a step back and think long and hard look! Life is too short and sounds like you are on the wrong path.
Italians are a minority in PV. New Columbus is their stronghold and there is animosity towards them, mostly among the older people. BTW I am not Italian.
You need to do a little historical research as well. It was the puritans who held the witch hunts in salem. There were very few Catholics in America during that time period.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 39 min woodtick57 1,115,130
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Earthling-1 47,007
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 1 hr DuckBilled Mary 488,222
County jails: Commissaries offer inmates a rang... (May '09) 4 hr ur an ass 108
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 7 hr zazz 96,464
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 8 hr The Real Missy 17,111
Alphabet Game (Apr '12) 10 hr Games Champ Riggies 9,087

Orlando Jobs

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]