'Culture of corruption' dominated Exp...

'Culture of corruption' dominated Expressway Authority, grand j...

There are 99 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Feb 27, 2009, titled 'Culture of corruption' dominated Expressway Authority, grand j.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Consultants and a former chairman of Orlando's toll road agency created a "culture of corruption" where contractors had to make political contributions to keep their lucrative work with the authority, said an ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Wait and see

Melbourne, FL

#63 Feb 27, 2009
Let's impeach Crotty. Write the State Attorney.

I stopped using them today. took 5 additional minutes.
ACDahmen

Titusville, FL

#64 Feb 27, 2009
You cannot look to the past however back in the 1970's or early 1980's I would have rather voted for a penny tax in Central Florida to build a better more efficient expressway system and beltway because a penny here and a penny there is easier to deal with than stopping and shelling out 25 cents to $2 at a pop, besides it is far cheaper to build a expressway without toll plazas than with toll plazas. In Jacksonville I like driving on 9A around the east side and that includes a rather high bridge over the St. Johns river for large ships, Orlando has no large rivers or for that matter hills to blast out like other cities. If John Young Parkway would have been built as a expressway from Kissimmee to the Maitland Interchange than it would handle two to three times more traffic, result South OBT would not have needed to be widen and there would be no need to build a toll road down the middle of I-4. By the way a Western beltway from Maitland to Disney, SR429, would get the job done than just widen I-4 north from Maitland to four or five lanes each way, there seem to be plenty of right of way. This is just my idea off the top of my head.
Silence dogood

Winter Park, FL

#65 Feb 27, 2009
Quite frankly, the toll house authority and this joke of a city are a microcosm of what's wrong with this now joke of a country. A corrupt few like Crotty (90% of the Senate and the House) have unbridled power to destory everything in order to support greed and corruption. NEWSFLASH Nobody is going to move to or stay in a city that offers no viable downtown, no arts, and no culture only to pay $7 round trip (to pass through one of orlando's scenic ghettos" to go to work at their $8 an hour job. What are the annual costs of the salaries of the EXPRESSWAY AUTHORITY? How much was their new building? How does every other city in Florida survive with far less or no tolls? Why does Orlando have the highest tolls of any city in the South? Why do the residents and not the toursist always pick up the dime? Why is there no toll at all from the airport to Disney World? People will still come to Disney if they have to pay a $2 toll, but good people will leave Orlando because of the high cost of living. Why would any decent hard working human being want to live here in the most politically corrupt city in America? Seriously, puerto ricans, thugs, and tolls, Orlando truly a dream city. Crotty should be taken to city hall and drawn and quartered. I will never ride a single one of those roads, ever!!! If you pay $2 to ride 4 miles through a ghetto, you truly are a lemming and deserve to live here. Oh, how corruption has ruined this country!! Crotty should be stuffed head first into a toll machine!!!
spicetrade

United States

#66 Feb 27, 2009
Crotty should remove the "C" from his name to better define his character and his inability to understand Ethics 101.
OhBoyOhBoy

San Antonio, TX

#67 Feb 27, 2009
"Randy Johnson has been a very loyal and fervent friend to the Authority for many years." It added that Johnson had "saved" the authority from environmentalists several times and championed its causes. "He can't help us much as CFO (except as a Cabinet member), but we need to reward him for what he has done."

OMG those evil environomentlst trying to save our resources and wildlife corrdors and not destroy the wetlands. evil evil evil lets pay off the elected officials so we can build roads without interference, make laws to make it right for us to do it. This is really disgusting to read. All those people listed need to be remembered.
gwk

Lake Mary, FL

#68 Feb 28, 2009
I find it very disturbing that oocea voted on the toll increase before the release of this report and equally disturbing that the report is being released on a weekend. There is only one way to fight this corrupt organization and that is to go out of our way to cut our toll road usage by 25 to 50 percent. We can do it, we can do it.
Matty Matt

United States

#69 Feb 28, 2009
Time to go Mr. Crotty. You stink.
Wake Up

Winter Haven, FL

#70 Feb 28, 2009
This is called the cost of doing business. Any company or organization that requires a political connection demands it. Maybe the vendor at a flea market doesn't need this, but every big businesss does.
Get Real

Orlando, FL

#71 Feb 28, 2009
The Culture of Corruption continues because no one is ever Guilty in Florida!!!Another Disgraceful performance.
ginksel

United States

#72 Feb 28, 2009
Samo-Samo, nothing changes and as the old saying goes, Money talks and BS Walks! Noiw lets raise the faree to pay for more BS!!!!
Just Sayin

Longwood, FL

#73 Feb 28, 2009
sad to say wrote:
Pay to Play, Culture of Corruption, if you add tax evasion, they would qualify to be Obama staff members.
except they are all republicans.
Over Orlando

Port Orange, FL

#74 Feb 28, 2009
It is time for Crotty to resign and just go away the man is a crook and Governor Crist needs to come in the state level and clean house with the expressway authority. And anyone getting money from the authority should be voted out of office and do your job Lawson put these bums in jail.
Procurator

Kissimmee, FL

#75 Feb 28, 2009
Glen wrote:
Audits. We need dozens of them. They have a way of bringing things out that would never have been reported.
Now OUC needs one, and the entire state government.
OUC is audited every year. You can read the audit.
Tom

Orlando, FL

#76 Feb 28, 2009
Go F yourself.
Wake Up wrote:
This is called the cost of doing business. Any company or organization that requires a political connection demands it. Maybe the vendor at a flea market doesn't need this, but every big businesss does.
Silence dogood

Winter Park, FL

#77 Feb 28, 2009
Lawson was dead on, this is the Chicago of the South. Nobody has bothered to answer the question of how every city in the state has less tolls than Orlando with as good or better roads??? The mere existence of this authority is no more than a Madoff Ponzi scheme. Lawson we need you to bring these crooks down!!
Procurator

Kissimmee, FL

#78 Feb 28, 2009
Every donation listed in the Grand Jury report was available for public inspection during the recent and past elections but that would have taken some "work" to connect the dots to Crotty. Nothing illegal but Crotty knew that the contributions were legal influence peddling done everywhere in the state where construction contracts are let that have to voted on by an elected of appointed board.
Revolutionary

Kissimmee, FL

#79 Feb 28, 2009
Wait and see wrote:
Let's impeach Crotty. Write the State Attorney.
I stopped using them today. took 5 additional minutes.
Good for you! Everyone cut back your ridership every chnce you get. Simple things
like getting off an exit before yours will make a difference.
Revolutionary

Kissimmee, FL

#80 Feb 28, 2009
What's really sad is that there are twice as many posts on the Magic loss to the Pistons board than here on this one. I fear for the future of this city, I really do.
DennisS

United States

#81 Feb 28, 2009
OhBoyOhBoy wrote:
"Randy Johnson has been a very loyal and fervent friend to the Authority for many years." It added that Johnson had "saved" the authority from environmentalists several times and championed its causes. "He can't help us much as CFO (except as a Cabinet member), but we need to reward him for what he has done."
OMG those evil environomentlst trying to save our resources and wildlife corrdors and not destroy the wetlands. evil evil evil lets pay off the elected officials so we can build roads without interference, make laws to make it right for us to do it. This is really disgusting to read. All those people listed need to be remembered.
Don't forget "Randy Johnson" used tax payer dollars for clothes and personal car repairs while he was an elected official as well.

A bird of a feather flock together,,, they are all crooks!!!
Obama Cabinet Nominee

Orlando, FL

#82 Feb 28, 2009
Revolutionary wrote:
What's really sad is that there are twice as many posts on the Magic loss to the Pistons board than here on this one. I fear for the future of this city, I really do.
D*a*m*n The Magic lost to the Pistons? When?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Double Fun Word Game (Mar '11) 2 min Princess Hey 13,027
keep a word----drop a word (Feb '11) 3 min Princess Hey 18,918
3 word game (Jan '11) 6 min Rose_NoHo 13,976
two words (Jul '10) 15 min Princess Hey 27,810
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 1 hr Murphey_Law 513,030
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr IB DaMann 58,832
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 5 hr zazz 98,020
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Orlando Mortgages