'Culture of corruption' dominated Expressway Authority, grand j...

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

Consultants and a former chairman of Orlando's toll road agency created a "culture of corruption" where contractors had to make political contributions to keep their lucrative work with the authority, said an ...
Comments
41 - 60 of 99 Comments Last updated Feb 8, 2014
R Man

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Liberal propaganda. Don't beleive the lies!
Eliot Ness

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Tyrone wrote:
where is the FBI and the FDLI??
chasing african-american golfers...
Slantinel corruption

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

The slantinel is a culture of corruption all to itself.
We really don't need a bozo like Dan Tracy to interpret the facts - just print the report without the proproganda.
d lucille

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

I was told that some Prince from Saudi Arabia owns our toll roads. Does anyone know if this is true? Does anyone know who owns the bonds that funded the tolls? How do we get our public roads back and how do we stop this toll nonsense? The whole concept is crooked, always has been. Might as well have the Mafia running it.
Richard Neilan

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Michael Newcomb wrote:
Salaries down at the OOCEA...
Michael Snyder, P.E.- Executive Director -$246,603.24
Glenn Holloway - Inernal Audit Director -$117,300.00
Laura Kelley - Deputy Executive Director, Finance, Administration, Planning -$170,332.39
Lindsay Hodges - Manager of Public Relations & Communications -$92,700.00
Joseph Passiatore - General Counsel -$187,975.00
Joseph Berenis, P.E.- Deputy Executive Director Engineering & Operations -$193,043.37
Claude Miller - Director of Procurement -$100,000.00
Joan Chizlett - Director of Information Technology -$124,910.42
Nita Crowder - CPA, CIA, CPFO, CGFO Chief Financial Officer -$147,621.40
Jacqueline Barr - Director of Business Development -$122,504.07
David Wynne - Manager of Toll Operations -$106,605.00
Ben Dreiling, P.E.- Director of Construction -$150,689.00
Rod Stroupe - Manager of Maintenance -$106,605.00
L.A. Griffin - Manager of Expressway Operations -$107,635.00
Thanks for providing this valuable information. The OOCEA website states that they are "a very lean government agency with less than 50 full-time employees." These salaries are so completely out-of-line with most Central Florida residents they can't possibly be justified. One example: toll booth workers are actually employed by Florida Toll Services. Why then does the agency need to pay a Manager of Toll Operations more than $100K? the whole thing is sickening. What a bunch of arrogant crooks, supported by a Board of enablers, and the likes of grossly overpaid and equally arrogant UCF President, John Hitt.

“Clayton Bigsby”

Since: Sep 08

Wexler School for the Blind,

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

R Man wrote:
Liberal propaganda. Don't beleive the lies!
These are the bums to vote out!

"Keen raised far more than previously thought:$468,000 for 18 candidates, the report said.

Among those receiving money were Orange County Mayor and current authority Chairman Rich Crotty, U.S. Sen. Mel Martinez, R-Florida, former U.S. Rep. Ric Keller, R-Orlando, former state Rep. Randy Johnson, R-Celebration, Seminole County Commissioner Mike McLean and Orange County Commissioner Bill Segal.

The candidate Keen apparently raised the most money for was Crotty. The report placed the number at nearly $63,000."
Mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

These guys are a bunch of crooks. This is another reflection of Orlando politics. King Crotty is the ring leader.
Richard Neilan

Melbourne, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Ask Charlie Crist what he intends to do to ensure that the "culture of corruption" does not continue to exist at the OOCEA. E-mail him at charlie.crist@myflorida.com
Windermere Reader

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

I don't understand why the Sentinel didn't post a link to the report, but here it is:

http://www.cfnews13.com/uploadedFiles/Stories...

Scroll through its 41 pages.

No matter what your political persuasion, it's impossible to escape the conslusion that this is a story about chubby, middle-aged, white Republican men squeezing their professional contacts to raise money for candidates who would do them favors.

If you have any doubt that things have not improved at OOCEA, call them up and ask for help regarding your E-Pass account, as I recently did. You will encounter rude and incompetent "customer service" representatives. While Alan and friends were scratching each other's backs, they could have focused on fundamentals like quality assurance and customer service.
Mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Now that we got rid of the republicans in Washington and Tallahasse, Next we need to clean house here.
OhBoyOhBoy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Chairman Rich Crotty,
Orange County Commissioner Bill Segal.
U.S. Sen. Mel Martinez, R-Florida,
former U.S. Rep. Ric Keller, R-Orlando,
former state Rep. Randy Johnson, R-Celebration,
Seminole County Commissioner Mike McLean

Well this actually goes on all the time probably still does.
Hank

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Orlando politics? Florida politics? And I shouldn't be worried that we are now about to see the larget budget in US history? How much will continue the corruption? Next election don't fall for the belief one party is better than any other. Vote out the incumbents.
Tennismom

Lakeland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

"The seven-page report, sealed for 16 months at Keen's behest, was opened only after changes - including the removal of quotation marks - were made to satisfy the noted Republican fund raiser".

Excuse me but this is just baffling. An extensive investigation and a Grand Jury and we need this guys permission to release a publicly funded report? He needed to be satisfied with it's editing? Are you kidding me? Inmates running the asylum!
DennisS

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>He did a great job at Rollins. I support Rollins every year. This is a smear job. Back off.
Of course he did; Rollins only propped up his ego.

I know you don't truthfully think this is a smear job, to much detail of deceitfulness for a "smear job" as you suggest.

Congratulations on supporting Rollins, your support is well worth it for you and the recipients of your support. I must say though, if Keen had no money, he would not have ever been approached for his support on the board at Rollins, and even you know that is reality.
Tom Lundy

Palm Coast, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

From the report:
"The report found nothing criminal and Keen hasn't been indicted."
This is another good example of the rampant corruption but since the politicians write the laws, nothing criminal.
Here are the salaries that we are paying these non-criminals at OOCEA:
Michael Snyder, P.E.- Executive Director -$246,603.24
Glenn Holloway - Internal Audit Director -$117,300.00
Laura Kelley - Deputy Executive Director, Finance, Administration, Planning -$170,332.39
Lindsay Hodges - Manager of Public Relations & Communications -$92,700.00
Joseph Passiatore - General Counsel -$187,975.00
Joseph Berenis, P.E.- Deputy Executive Director Engineering & Operations -$193,043.37
Claude Miller - Director of Procurement -$100,000.00
Joan Chizlett - Director of Information Technology -$124,910.42
Nita Crowder - CPA, CIA, CPFO, CGFO Chief Financial Officer -$147,621.40
Jacqueline Barr - Director of Business Development -$122,504.07
David Wynne - Manager of Toll Operations -$106,605.00
Ben Dreiling, P.E.- Director of Construction -$150,689.00
Rod Stroupe - Manager of Maintenance -$106,605.00
L.A. Griffin - Manager of Expressway Operations -$107,635.00
Here in Orlando

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Like I said before, nothing will change here. These people know how to play the news. The rates will go up, people will get mad & then in a couple of months they will forget. End of story.
Altamonte Rez

Cape Canaveral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

the headline almost implies a past tense - the entire operations needs independent oversight and an outside audit - there is so much appearance of wrongoing and shady dealing to this day - hurry up job transfer - get out of this toll foolishness
Revolutionary

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

I am imploring everyone who reads this post to start using alternate routes. I recently started and found a difference of 10-15 minutes in my travel time from Oviedo to Lake Buena Vista and a minimal decrease in mileage. This is the only way to get the powers that be to listen. Let them know how you feel but not using their product.
Glen

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Audits. We need dozens of them. They have a way of bringing things out that would never have been reported.

Now OUC needs one, and the entire state government.
Reality_Check

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

That will teach them to raise tolls.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

46 Users are viewing the Orlando Forum right now

Search the Orlando Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Eman 1,082,861
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 5 min EXECUTE KID KILLERS 484,296
Low pay drives Florida Highway Patrol troopers ... (Aug '07) 40 min not so 231
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 47 min Brian_G 45,860
Let's Chat (Jan '12) 1 hr Mary NY 17,569
WWE News: David Otunga To Appear On General Hos... 2 hr dmw 1
What life is like for Casey Anthony 2 hr BiRexual 52
•••
•••
•••
•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••