'Culture of corruption' dominated Expressway Authority, grand j...

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

Consultants and a former chairman of Orlando's toll road agency created a "culture of corruption" where contractors had to make political contributions to keep their lucrative work with the authority, said an ...
Comments
21 - 40 of 99 Comments Last updated Feb 8, 2014
Littletommy

Sanford, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Actually, the headline should read "Culture of corruption dominates'...not 'dominated'.
pax

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Of course they held the vote to raise tols the day before the report, just in case there were allogations that got them in trouble.
fed up

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

I think we should all turn in our epasses and stay off the road.
Tom

Daytona Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

For those who say that Lamar covered up for them, you might want to learn a little bit about the law. The evidence was presented to the Grand Jury and they did not return any indictments except the one against Ron Pecora. Without an indictment, no prosecution. You could file an information, however, if the grand jury did not return an indictment where the standard is probable cause, odds are very good a jury would not convict where the standard is beyond a reasonable doubt.
Want to Know

Altamonte Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Other than Crotty, who were the politicians to whom vendors were pressured to contribute? Where can I access the actual grand jury report?
Barney

Lady Lake, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Its all a circle jerk.
ABC

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Shameless people!!!
Fed Up 2

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

F all Republicans.
Bill - A Dolphin Fan

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

CROTTY IS UNETHICAL!
CROTTY IS A CROOK
CROTTY IS AN EXAMPLE OF VOTER FRAUD
CROTTY SHOULD CONFESS
CROTTY IS UNHEALTHY TO LOOK AT
DennisS

Martin, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

David Pace wrote:
Yes we must raise the tolls for those working bastards.
That's the only way we can keep the contributions rolling
in for the politicians.
People say we continuity in government, we have to keep the
people who know how things are done.
This is an example of how it's done.
VOTE OUT EVERY INCUMBENT
The Governor appoints these clowns to the authority, we have no vote process in this agency.
Sleuth

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Did Keen bring the "culture of corruption" to Rollins College when he was Chairman of the Board of Trustees??
No More Toll Trolls

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

hmmm wrote:
if a "culture of corruption" is not illegal then what exactly does it take ffs? pathetic. they release this the day after the expressway makes a money grab? wtf? do they think everyone is blind, deaf, and dumb? if LLL doesn't step up and do something about this it is time for Governor Charlie Twinkle to do something (ya, I know this is unlikely but what the heck we are near Disney so why not live a life of fantasy)
There should be a follow-up audit on the Expressway Authority. The Orange County Comptroller did an audit on the Expressway Authority which found that consulting contracts had not be sufficiently competed, that controls over contracts and spending were often lax, records were poor, and that it needed to bring many functions in-house.

Martha Haynie: Please do a follow up audit on these crooks!!

Since: Apr 07

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Littletommy wrote:
<quoted text>
I can tell you with some authority that many of these salaries are extremely inflated.
But, if you question it, you will get the standard 'you have to pay more to attract and keep the brightest' statement!
Personally, that is my favorite excuse.

That might be true for the Albert Einsteins of the world, but we are talking about building roads not solving the mysteries of the universe...

That argument, IMHO, breaks down around $150,000 because at that rate, you can hire 2 people to do the job of that one guy, and as long as they are at least half as intelligent and productive, you will get more for your money...

Personally, I think we should make a law that limits all city/county/state workers to no more than what the governor makes:$133,000.
Tyrone

Orlando, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

where is the FBI and the FDLI??
DennisS

Martin, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

mnewcomb wrote:
<quoted text>
Personally, that is my favorite excuse.
That might be true for the Albert Einsteins of the world, but we are talking about building roads not solving the mysteries of the universe...
That argument, IMHO, breaks down around $150,000 because at that rate, you can hire 2 people to do the job of that one guy, and as long as they are at least half as intelligent and productive, you will get more for your money...
Personally, I think we should make a law that limits all city/county/state workers to no more than what the governor makes:$133,000.
Snyder; came from the FDOT,,, how did they attract the brightest away from that group?
Fannie and Freddie

Winter Haven, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

I hope all these holier than thou's are castigating Franklin Raines, Barney Frank, Chris Dodd et al, too. Any time you have an appointed board you are going to have conflicts. Not sure if anything illegal went on here. If so, would people please inform. Thanks
Get Real

Winter Haven, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

Sleuth wrote:
Did Keen bring the "culture of corruption" to Rollins College when he was Chairman of the Board of Trustees??
He did a great job at Rollins. I support Rollins every year. This is a smear job. Back off.
ANON

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

I found one thing about companies in trouble. First thing they should do is the board should take a 20% pay cut Second Management takes a 20% pay cut which does not include benefits. With those salaries and this economy. I can guarantee you can find a replacement that might even be better for 30% less than they are being paid

I know there are plenty of people looking for work. A nearby fast food shop has a recently laid off NASA engineer working there. Since there is no work for him and he is too proud to get unemployment.
Prilly1

Satellite Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

DEATH PENALTY wrote:
CROTTY = CROOK
Amen/and on and on it goes.....
who cares

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2009

who cares?
Lawson's continual grandstanding to feather his own next is never-ending.
He wants to criminalize all politics.
Maybe it's time someone looked into the fundraising Lawson and Vose did in their own office - a felony.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

50 Users are viewing the Orlando Forum right now

Search the Orlando Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Grey Ghost 1,095,159
Privilege Waived - Part II . . . Remember Me? 1 hr missattempts 20
What life is like for Casey Anthony 1 hr missattempts 182
Casey Anthony maintains baby sitter was not fab... 2 hr missattempts 245
Jodi Arias: Does the state have the goods to co... (Mar '13) 10 hr EXECUTE KID KILLE... 25,770
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 10 hr EXECUTE KID KILLE... 486,255
Ravelry.com connects arts-and-crafts lovers the... (Mar '09) 10 hr Regina 232
•••
•••
•••
•••

Orlando Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE