Alcohol ruins marriages and destroys families

Dear Amy: With regard to "Frustrated In-Laws," whose son-in-law was drunk and rude during Thanksgiving, I can tell you where this might be headed. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Oct 07

New Lenox, Illinois

#68 Jan 15, 2008
Ronnie wrote:
Calling alcohol addiction a disease is one of the biggest frauds perpetrated upon consumers in the history of medicine, particularly since, in the majority of cases, heavy drinkers are encouraged to self-diagnose their disease and then seek life-long self-treatment at questionable, cultish venues like Alcoholics Anonymous meetings...
That is the biggest load of garbage I've read in a very long time. I don't know where your anger at AA comes from, but maybe you need a meeting.
Dave

Safety Harbor, FL

#69 Jan 15, 2008
ANON wrote:
To LW1,
I would love to hear his side of the story. I have a dear friend
who was drinking too much, but only at home.
His wife kicked him out and wow what a change. There maybe the occasional beer in the evening, but no more aclcohol binges.
His side: it was the only way he knew to deal with her constant barragemant of do this, do that, make more money, you can't have a nap in the middle fo the day,
He actually asked me if when he went to heaven was he going to have a nagging wife following him around.
And yea, he made up stories about why he was drinking ...anything to get her to shut up.
So, there are two sides to each story.
You and your buddy sound like two dopes who value booze above all else. Yeah, she was nagging the dude because he gets hammered at home. A real man (and he is not) would realize that some people can't handle the booze, don't stop until they're drunk or passed out, and blame it on everyone and everything but themselves.
A real man would realize that there is more to life than booze, getting drunk, and partying with friends.
A real man would muscle up the maturity to stop drinking and get help to stop if he couldn't.
A real man would honor his comittment to his marriage and would honor his kids, parents, and siblings by staying sober.
Then again, guys like your buddy think that the booze is way too important to give up. Look at the benefits of being a drunk! Just go downtown to the Salvation Army or Rescue Mission or stop a "wino" who is staggering down the street and ask him how he likes the booze?
Tell you buddy to grow up , grow a set of ballls and stop the booze.
I'll bet he's not that tough.
Jake

Safety Harbor, FL

#70 Jan 15, 2008
Sean wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, what a sad, boring life you must have had. Nothing good ever comes of vices? Thats why everyone HATES Las Vegas, right? Of course vices are immoral, but to say that NOTHING good EVER comes of them is pretty obsurd, unless you don't consider things like fun and enjoyment of one's life to be good.
By the way, its difficult to have any sort of meaningful dialogue when one person starts things with any kind of variation of "I don't care what you say ..."
I understand what the guy is trying to say. I do drink a beer on occasion, but don't need it to have a good time and wouldn't miss it if I could never drink again. Most people can drink responsibly and not become addicted don't smash into other cars, etc. The problem come with people who drink to get drunk, to "escape",(never understood that one), or to use it an excuse to act like complete clowns.
It's pretty much a given that younger people do get pretty wild but there are a few who think the party is still going on at age 30. My nephew is one of them. He's well on the way to losing his parents, brothers, aunts, uncles and cousins because of his drunk behavior, lies, and refusal to stop drinking.
Of course some good does come out of vices as most guys will attest....but that's a different forum.
Orlandodolphin

Sanford, FL

#71 Jan 15, 2008
Don't hear about much violence and deaths when it comes to marijuana.
Renee

Safety Harbor, FL

#72 Jan 15, 2008
Orlandodolphin wrote:
Don't hear about much violence and deaths when it comes to marijuana.
Why use anything that changes your mental state, damages your liver or damages your lungs?
Alcohol damages the brain and especially the liver and pancreas as both go into overdrive to get the "poison" out of your body.
Marijuana is still breathing in smoke and in doing so, causes damage to the alevoli of the lungs. Eventually, the smoker (tobacco or marijuana is going to develop COPD and it will kill the smoker....slowly.
Neither is worth it.
Enjoy the music

Deep River, CT

#73 Jan 15, 2008
Renee wrote:
<quoted text>
Why use anything that changes your mental state, damages your liver or damages your lungs?
Alcohol damages the brain and especially the liver and pancreas as both go into overdrive to get the "poison" out of your body.
Marijuana is still breathing in smoke and in doing so, causes damage to the alevoli of the lungs. Eventually, the smoker (tobacco or marijuana is going to develop COPD and it will kill the smoker....slowly.
Neither is worth it.
Here is a solution:

http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/vaporizers...

http://www.vaporinfo.com/

http://vaporizor.com/

www.inavap.com

Since: Sep 07

Chicago

#74 Jan 15, 2008
Gotta Love It wrote:
BAN BOOZE! come on jump on the anti-booze bandwagon! It MAY ruin your marrage
Ban Smoking!! come on jump on the anti-smoking bandwagon! It May cause you health problems, it is not for you to decide how to run a business it in the majorities!
Ban Cussing!!! come on jump on the anti-swearing bandwagon! Gotta keep the language clean, it might hurt someones feelings
Ban Sugar!!!! come on jump on the anti-sugar bandwagon! I have had enough fo the twikie defense, plus it could cause ou health problems
Ban Speach!!!!!come on jump on the anti-speach bandwagon! YOu can't say waht tyou want on what the majority wants to hear
Ban SEX! come on jump on the anti-sex bandwagon!
Sex is bad period.
Ban non-marrage relationships!come on jump on the anti-immoral bandwagon! IMORALLITY enough said
Ban Cars!! come on jump on the anti-car bandwagon! YOu might get run over someday... plus all the crap they put out hurts the environment
Ban it all NOW!!!!
While we're at it, let's ban bans. They're oppressive, stressful and in invasion of our privacy.
Prohibit bad music too

Deep River, CT

#75 Jan 15, 2008
Lloyd Hansen wrote:
Banning alcohol is nearly impossible but in theory I think it should be done. Wouldn't you want to ban a substance that is:
1. Responsible for thousands of auto accident accidents and fatalities every year.
2. Found to be a factor in every type of criminal activity.
3. Can cause poisoning if over-used.
4. Would not pass the FDA's standards for safety if it were introduced anew.
5. Proven to ruin marriages, families and careers.
No, I prefer freedom, which means respecting other people enough to appreciate that probably a billion people currently living on this planet enjoy alcohol without hurting ourselves or anyone else and do not need you to play nanny-over-other-adults to protect us. Freedom generally means being able to tolerate other people making decisions differently than you would, live their lives differently than you, valuing differnt things than you. You would give up such a precious thing for a policy doomed to failure? We saw it during alcohol prohibition and we continue to see the disastrous effects of drug prohibition today. The so-called drug war is a farce, surrounded by a sea of legal drugs saturating society. Meanwhile our country has become a gulag, imprisoning more peoplefor drugs than all of western Europe, with a larger population, imprisons for all offenses combined....

Or are you also ready to prohibit fatty foods and sedentary lifestyles? Maybe we should arrest those low-life people who refuse frequent walking, proper nutrition, appropriate meditation, smoking cessation, and/or strong community service volunteerism? After all, preventing cardiovascular disease can help free up critical resources for treating other illnesses. Maybe we should also prohibit motorcycles, skydiving, rockclimbing, football, and all attempts at hand-cutting frozen bagels too. Might as well be consistent about prohibiting dangerous things, right? Else we might be kidding ourselves that our puritanical prosecutions of some vices is nothing but culture war and prejudice backed by state brutality. I wonder how the damage prison has done to all the drug war prisoners and their families and neighborhoods --how would that compare to the damage done by the drugs themselves? Especially when considering that prohibition, through an unregulated market, makes the drugs as dangerous as possible --much more dangerous than they would be in a legally-regulated market-- due to zero reliability of purity, doseage, and labelling....
maybememories

UK

#76 Aug 6, 2008
Alcohol ruined my life because it took away the man i was in love with. We were perfect together, meant to be, happy with every aspect of our lives. Then he turned back to heavy drinking after years away from it and he became a completely different person. After 3 months of putting up with an absolute nightmare existence, i found out he'd cheated on me and left him. I miss the man he was so so very much, he was my angel. He would never have even considered cheating before, and wouldn't have put me through anything like what he put me through unless he was drinking uncontrollably. I lost my "one" to alcohol and i will never forgive it. It will have no place in my life from now on.
xxx
Henry Williams

Teddington, UK

#77 Aug 26, 2009
Many a marriage would not have taken place if one or both parties had not been under the influence of alcohol. More marriages have been created through alcohol than destroyed by it.
Andy

Mississauga, Canada

#78 Dec 13, 2011
Jennzy wrote:
It depends on how your mind is stabelized when you are intoxicated, wrong judgement is a big factor when it comes to alcohol.....if you have repeaditly screwed up by drinking and driving or cheating on your spouse then it is not the alcohol it is you! you are disturbing the lifes of people, not alcohol!
Listen up idiot if alcohol was banned in canada we'd have less retards like you making statements like this when drunk legalize weed ban alcohol problem solved.
Andy

Mississauga, Canada

#81 Dec 13, 2011
Henry Williams wrote:
Many a marriage would not have taken place if one or both parties had not been under the influence of alcohol. More marriages have been created through alcohol than destroyed by it.
Many idiots like yourself write garbage online take ur british colony ass out of north america we are dying as a continent cause of you british oppressors england sucks so don't bring ur british bullshit laws to canada its looks like its to late for that so marriage is created from true love and proper communication with one another not ALCOHOL retard!!
Andy

Mississauga, Canada

#82 Dec 13, 2011
maybememories wrote:
Alcohol ruined my life because it took away the man i was in love with. We were perfect together, meant to be, happy with every aspect of our lives. Then he turned back to heavy drinking after years away from it and he became a completely different person. After 3 months of putting up with an absolute nightmare existence, i found out he'd cheated on me and left him. I miss the man he was so so very much, he was my angel. He would never have even considered cheating before, and wouldn't have put me through anything like what he put me through unless he was drinking uncontrollably. I lost my "one" to alcohol and i will never forgive it. It will have no place in my life from now on.
xxx
U HIT THE BOTTLE NO ONE BUT YOURSELF IS TO BLAME, NOW GO ROLL A BLUNT GET STONED AND SHUT UP.

Level 9

Since: Sep 11

Weeki Wachee, Florida

#83 Dec 19, 2011
Bumped for bonus
Contain Yourself

Spring, TX

#84 Jul 26, 2013
Whomever is doing your yard work seems to like to drink and buy cheap plastic containers. Since you claim to be a doctor's wife, don't you have any more to hire landscapers? Seriously.
Softly Spoken Lies

Spring, TX

#85 Aug 30, 2013
What pic is up now? You're now a guy? Shocking.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Orlando Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min ObamaLogic 1,153,956
Jodi Arias: Does the state have the goods to co... (Mar '13) 45 min AN is me 26,180
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 59 min Anne 96,636
Busted 1 hr DJames181 7
CASEY: Does the State Have the Goods to Convict? (Mar '10) 1 hr HaNs 490,188
Women experience hair loss but not balding as such (Jan '08) 4 hr paigeford 6
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 hr Earthling-1 49,187
Orlando Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Orlando People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Orlando News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Orlando

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 5:00AM